the Rift

[OPEN] give in to the night

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

KAJ
you left a bloodstain on the floor

Stoicism did not dissuade the King, who found the display of modest respect more than appealing to the oft concealed militaristic portion of his being. Archibald was surely a soul who could relate; perhaps they were both sometimes hard-pressed to align to the peaceful neutrality of the Edge? Kaj's head dipped shallowly in response to the acknowledgment, more interested in the massive brute's presence on the island than the formalities. Both had kingship beneath their belts, and as such it was hardly required, but Kaj still found himself proud to have garnered even a modicum of respect from the hard-won beast before him. A soft snort escaped into the chill, a gossamer cloud forming. It would be more prominent by the decay of the season, and Kaj was not eager for such a transition. Though born on a tundra, he would never be fond of the ice that so fondly clutched to his feathers in flight.

"A gift? Perhaps. But I cannot help but be wary. Little comes without a price or a catch these days." There was no need to ask if Archibald agreed, though Kaj sincerely hoped that he was not alone in his paranoia. If it kept his family safe, he'd build his own glass bunker and start sticking invasion theories on the walls. Not that his Captains would likely approve, but it was a mildly amusing thought. One that was redirected onto the topic of the absent female Captain. Kaj, with no real knowledge of the Grey, did not know what kind of relationship the trio held, though he found it fascinating. Both mares touched and fussed over the murderer with ease, and Archibald bore them as if they were the ones holding the power. Though to be fair, it was most often the sapphire nurse that did the mother-henning. Still, he hid his burgeoning interest, knowing it was both impolite and the wrong choice for the audience he had.

"Last I was aware of, Ktulu was patrolling the northernmost border with Cheveyo. I have no knowledge of Lakota's recent whereabouts, the last I saw her would not be current enough to aid you. My apologies." Oh, but the curiosity was simply killing him! Still, he tended to the wire that kept his jaw firmly clamped shut. If Archibald had as deep of a soft spot for those mares as Kaj suspected, the king wouldn't be stupid enough to inquire about them. He had no doubt that, enraged or protective, Archibald could easily overtake him. It was lucky that Kaj was not arrogant, merely respecting that Archibald found him somehow worthy of serving beneath.

Loretta's antics were amusing, but short-lived, and Kaj gave a mild quirk of his lips. He could relate to Archibald's stony demeanor. After all, the golden boy had been nearly mute when he'd first arrived in Helovia. Never one for words, he'd had to remedy that as he was promoted to WingLeader, and forced to further work on it as he was granted the throne. It was almost a reprieve, to settle into a gruff, companionable (if he dared to call it such) silence with the Dauntless. "I imagine she fits you best that way." The smirk is returned, Kaj's full of fond amusement, though he could not possibly understand the bond the two held.

Finally, curiosity wins out, and the king simply cannot hold his tongue any longer. "Archibald, I ask this not to be intrusive, but I know you led in past times. I am no peace-maker, I am a warrior. How, if at all, do you stand behind the Edge promise of peace?" Pale skies bled into eyes that stared at Archibald as if he could dissect his brain and find the answers there himself, rather than waiting. "I admit, it is not...easy, at times. You've stopped me yourself. I wish to know my Captain better, lets say," he snorted with dry amusement, lips twisted in wry appreciation for the irony of the moment. Clearly this wasn't a get-to-know-you, but for their privacy and the sake of his own mind, it was easier to hide behind it.

image credits
table by whit

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
give in to the night - by Archibald - 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: give in to the night - by Kaj - 08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
RE: give in to the night - by Archibald - 09-24-2014, 08:01 PM
RE: give in to the night - by Kaj - 11-06-2014, 11:11 PM