the Rift

[OPEN] Can You Hear The Silence?

Adelis Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: Seven
Nevada

523 WORDS @[Arvakl]
'Where am I?' her mind cries, aquatic eyes shifting around uneasily, ears dropped at a low angle in a frightened manner. 'I should have just followed Midas!' she whines once more to herself in the comfort of her head. Silently and ever so ungracefully, the growth-stunned mare stumbled around the flat meadow with short breaths and wide eyes. How she had gotten here was easy enough to explain: she was clearly lost. Without the aid of her painted savior, the brutt was once more just a mouse in maze full of fat, hungry cats.

It had only been a few days since her arrival here in the land of Helovia and already she has found herself parted from the comfort of her new home. The area was huge; full of rushing water and the most lush of grasses, and hidden very well by the thick vines and heavy branches created by who Kiara had called "the God of the Earth." Such a thing only confused the simple minded mare and caused her to struggle to attempt to imagine such a figure.

Night had fallen hours before, leaving the ragdoll in unfamiliar territory, just outside of what everyone else would call the Threshold. Despite the lack of stars hidden away behind cloudy skies, the harvest moon hung eerily in the air, providing rusty light for the brutt's travels. Her breath quivered in her throat, threats of tired tears becoming more and more real as she moved deeper toward the fork of the river. Soon enough, the water trickled on either side of the fae, the noise causing her to freeze in her tracks and hold her breath, ears propped forward and eyes shimmering with tears. She held this stance for a few moments, unable to breath or even blink before she could connect the sound with moving water.

"Oh-" she giggled, the air all coming out in a rushed and nervous giggle after she spoke. "I just.. I just need to calm down." the doll whispered, breaking the beginning of the sentence to draw in another breath to comfort her swirling head. The tears still danced across bottom eyelids, but refused to build up enough tension to break into small droplets. Once again, the ghostly figure -stained orange by the lingering moon- pushed her skinny legs toward the source of the water, her tongue now finding itself dry.

Thick blades of grass stirred around her legs as she sifted through the field, trying to find a trail to follow in order to retreat and find her way back home, but from here, everything looked exactly the same, and she wouldn't be able to tell west from east if she were asked. With no confidence, the doe decided to let nature take her along and decide where she would end up tonight. A clumsy trip over nothing but her own feet allowed the thin chain to rattle together in her antlers and the gem to bounce off of the base of her horn; a weak smile is able to touch the corners of her dark lips - perhaps her sire is still watching over her, somehow.
"I DISMEMBERED A MILLION FLOWER PETALS
AND YOU STILL DIDN'T LOVE ME."
- J.F.P.

Please tag me in all replies, ♥ 

Arvakl Posts: 66
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 (Tallsun) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Lauren
it's okay to be crazy

I don't recall traversing this meadow before, and at night I find it strangely peaceful. For once, I feel... not so worried about needing to stir up trouble. There's no one around as far as I can tell, and the wildlife I might hunt is asleep. Really, I should be sleeping, too. But every now and then, I like to stay up late. The moon above lights enough of the meadow so I can see where I'm going. But as I wander, there's something.. strangely familiar. Familiar, but foreign.... A scent. Wafting through the air, whirling into my nostrils, into my lungs. With the first exhale, it clicks what it is.

It's her.

I sniff the air, trying to pinpoint the scent, hopping along the moonlit grasses. She reeks of fear and loneliness, a combination that I'm all too familiar with. I peer out, and finally I see her form, moving awkwardly. A frown comes across my face. Did she follow me here, how did she find me? I thought I left all that behind, but here she is, in Helovia. Is there no escape? All the fucked up shit that we left behind, and a living, breathing memory of it comes waltzing back into my life. I pump my wings, slowly lifting into the sky. When I have my balance, I fly toward her, and upon nearing her I dive toward the ground, carving up grass and sod as I skid to a halt just in front of her, my wings broad enough to block some of the moonlight that shines down. But not enough that she won't be able to figure out who I am. Not enough that it isn't obvious I know who she is, the distaste plain my hard green eyes. Adelis.

"Sister."

@[Adelis]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Arvakl excluding dismemberment and death.

Hidden Account
Nevada

513 WORDS @[Arvakl]
As she wanders along, the grass tickling at the rag doll's belly and thistles poking at her legs as the foliage becomes deeper, the air is filled with another sound; one that she is distantly familiar with only because of the two women she has known her whole life: Ark and their mother. The brutt stops again, unwilling to move another inch, scared to be spotted by this sky predator that she has instantly created in her mind. It is one full of feathers and a wiry lions' mane, beady yellow eyes and a beak full of teeth.

But still the sound comes closer and closer, the poor girl's heart now racing and her throat tight with fear, ears tipped back and ready to be knocked over by the make-believe creature of the night. Air rushed around her, the beat of the unknown wings brushing invisible fingers of wind against her hot cheeks as tears finally swelled over and beaded down her face. Her nostrils flared and rattled, each breath tattered and threatened with a choking noise. But that smell.. She knew that smell more than any other smell in the world.

"Sister."

Her tears felt chilly against her hot face; it was almost like the Grim Reaper himself reaching out to run his cold, dead fingers down her radiant cheeks, a warning that this was not their last meeting. That voice and the mixture of comfort and pure fear that it brought along with it, it was her voice. It was Arvakl. The child peered up from under wet eyelashes, visibly shaking under the dark shadow of her half sister. "A-Ark-k-k?" The name was broken by sniffles and tears and choking on her own tongue as she pleaded for the green eyes to be real, to actually be in front of her and alive.

And they were, they were even more alive than young Adelis; full of health and anger as they have always been. She shivered still, her body constantly moving and full of adrenaline and fear and pain. Unsure of what to do with herself, the doll smiled and laughed sheepishly, reaching out with a dark muzzle to touch her beautiful sister, the one she could never be as perfect as. She wanted to bury herself under those glamorous pink wings and fall asleep next to someone she knows, never having to wake up alone and cold and hungry ever again. But she knew that would not happen, she knew that her sister was cold and distant, just as Mother had been.

"Arvakl, I missed you!" the youngest finally cried, her throat bubbling with the build up of saliva that she had yet to swallow from her watering mouth. Her nerves, shocked from the multitude of different emotions, caused her stomach and head to be weak. Dizzy and nauseous, the fae moved forward in what looked to be a drunken stumble, hoping for the warmth of her sibling's body to be comforting and welcoming. She wished she would fall into her chest and be held there by an embracing neck.
- J.F.P.

Lauren
it's okay to be crazy

It takes her only a few seconds to recognize my face, as I had guessed. The look of hope and desire for love and acceptance on the wingless sister's face is downright sickening. Ugh, grow a pair, you cow. My eyes stay hard -- unforgiving, unsympathetic. I don't know what she did to deserve the beatings mother gave her, but I'm sure there was a good reason for everything. She reaches toward me, her voice, her eyes, everything about her searching for the love that I've never had for her. Doesn't she know that by now? If I loved her, I wouldn't have left her behind. I'd have taken her with me and saved her from a loveless home. As she reaches for me I turn my head, keeping her from reaching me. "Don't touch me, filth." I scrutinize her appearance as I step away and to the side. She's like a bag of bones, but less bruised and scabbed than when I last saw her. Good for her, I suppose. I clack my teeth at her, a warning that she shouldn't dare to touch me. I tuck my wings against my side, and reach toward her - avoiding contact - to sniff her scent. "You do not smell as you once did." She must have taken up with one of the herds here. I stare at her, as if waiting for her to respond. But my observation is rhetorical, and I really don't care where she's living. "How are mother and father?" Now that is something I'm interested in knowing. When I left I was in a screaming fit of rage. My father biting back tears with a broken heart, my mother screaming back in shock. I was tired of my mother's strict, domineering ways. Sick of all of those twats. But now that I'm here, I'm curious as to what happened after I left. I suppose I'll wait for her reply before I ask what the HELL she's doing in the same land that I'm in. I flick my tail with growing irritation at her trembling, and I shout at her. "Speak!"

WC: 351
Tag: @[Adelis]
OOC: Fuck man. Arvakl is just.. pfft. And how is this so short?

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Hidden Account
Nevada

415 WORDS @[Arvakl]
"Don't touch me, filth." the winged sister warned, her underweight sibling stumbling over her own legs and finding herself just inches from falling face-first in the grass before she can catch herself. It was not unlike any of the names she had been called, and this one did not stab any deeper than the others, but something about the sheer disappointment that reflected off of Arvakl's young eyes pained the rag doll. She rose from the ground slowly and silently, both small ears tucked back against her bleached neck.

Wet eyes looked up just as the winged woman snapped her teeth, threatening the brutt without words; so many times she had shivered and jumped at the thought of the same noise, but this time, she could only close her eyes tight and hope that her sister would find some pity in her. The rusty moon stained her older sibling with the color of dried, crusty blood that she had seen a few times; smeared on her face from an earlier kill or flaking off of her sharp hooves. Another shudder rumbles through her body, though it is not from the old images of her blood-stained sister, but the dizzy wake of uneasiness still coursing through her veins.

'I can't believe I found you!' she wants to cry, even as the older girl reaches out and sniffs her with a cold glare permanently etched into her soft face. "You do not smell as you once did." Arvakl states, her voice lacking interest in conversation and rather ending with a statement. The brutt nods, her lackluster eyes watching the beautiful girl before her as she seemed to glow in the dark. "How are mother and father?" she finally questions, her eyes boring down on the ghostly girl.

"Speak!" This time, the doll shutters at the woman's voice, her jaw clenching tight before she realizes that there isn't a hoof coming for her face or shoulder. "I-I-I'm not sure! They were fighting when daddy sent me off!" She stammered, her legs pushing her backward the smallest inch just in case Arvakl wasn't happy with her quick response. "M-Mom-m-m was on the ground an-a-and dad was-" she pauses to sniffle, keeping back the hot tears that once more build up behind dark eyelids. "Dad was making me hurry! He put this on me." She finally finished, turning her small face to the left in order to allow her sister to see the iced blue gem dangling from her antlers.
- J.F.P.

Lauren
it's okay to be crazy

I stare down at the younger, almost identical version of myself. I am barely taller than her, but my big, bold, bossy attitude dwarfs her kind and caring one. From different mothers, but the only differences between us are my wings and our eye colors. Though our appearances are so similar, our personalities are stark opposites. I feel as if I could smash her pathetic skull like a child smashes an ant. Her trembling body, quivering voice responding to my demanding questions, more like an interrogation than catching up. I huff as the words eek out past her trembling lips. "Our" mother lying lifeless on the ground, our father urging her to run. Of course it certainly doesn't sound good, but what catches my attention is what Adelis shows me - the chained gem that is tangled decoratively in her antlers. I bend closer to sniff it, for once letting my arrogance and brutish air fall. If the story that she tells is true, if father really gave this to her - of course he did, I recognize it - then the horrors filling my mind are true.

Our parents are dead.

A strange feeling stirs inside me, and at first I don't even notice it. The coldness of my heart, my soul, keeps me from recognizing it. I pull back from Adelis and raise my head high above hers, announcing what she may not have yet figured out. "Then they are dead." Father would not have given that necklace to her if they were going to live. The feeling builds and my attention is drawn to it. So peculiar, it twists inside me, infecting each organ as it passes through - my stomach, intestines, lungs, my heart.... A pain inside that I don't.. Have I ever felt it? Anguish. It burns inside like alcohol burns an open wound, but it doesn't fade. The burning continues up my throat and to my eyes and my nostrils, and the stinging in my nose... I do not realize that it is a sign of tears to come, until the tears build in my eyes. No.

NO. I will not cry in front of my barely younger sister. I turn my body away from her: I will not show pain to this pathetic waste of flesh. What happened? What could have made our parents die - did they fight? Were they attacked? A thought occurs to my mind, and it makes sense. Adelis. She has always been the one causing problems in my life. It was because of her that mother and father didn't get along, because of her that my mother was so cruel. I turn on the mare and grit my teeth, eyes flashing dangerously. Finally the words burst from my lips: "What did you DO, you pathetic shit?!" Words hissed, not shouted, as cold as metal left out in the winter storm pressed against your most warm, tender areas.

This - is all HER FAULT.

WC: 489
Tag: @[Adelis]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Hidden Account
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

Her dark snout leans closer, nostrils flaring while she sniffs at the family jewel hanging from between the doll's antlers. At this moment she cannot breath; her eyes watch the ever-close lips of her sibling, waiting for stained teeth to be bore and sink into her soft, delicate skin.. but this does not happen. Instead, Arvakl pulls away, her eyes glaring down at the brutt with the same cold glaze. "Then they are dead." The words hung in the air like wind frozen in time, bouncing and ricocheting around in her skull like a bullet in a metal room. Silently she blinked, jaw tightening at the idea of what may actually be true; can they both be dead? Even Father? Her bottom lip droops as if she is scrambling to find her words, but nothing comes out. Silence lingers for what feels like hours.

"But.." she pauses, her bottom lip quivering while she searches for the correct words, hoping her brutish sibling cannot twist them into a disaster. "But Dad was fine when I left, I think." Her tone is hushed and unsure, ending in something barely audible over her breath. While the doll spoke, the winged woman who she so idolizes turns on her haunches, no longer facing her younger sibling. Fear of losing her sister once more makes the rag doll swallow hard. In her mind, she can feel Arvakl leaving the conversation and finding her way into the cool sky, but what she does not realize is that this is not why the buttermilk hybrid turned her attention elsewhere. Adelis cannot imagine tears running down her stone-hard sister's dished face.

The puckered scar itches while soft velvet nostrils flutter with each panicked breath. "Ar-" the brutt begins, her watery eyes reaching out to the hidden eyes of the woman. As if her words snapped the tension holding Arvakl back, her eyes (which are partially hidden behind streaks of black and pink) turn back, meeting the unworthy eyes of the sister. "What did you DO, you pathetic shit?!" Air caught in her throat, sitting uncomfortably as the malnourished mare peddled backward. "N-nothing! They got in a fight! I swear Ark I didn't do anything!" Fear coated her words, reasonably, as she found herself sitting on her hind quarters, having stumbled over her own small feet and flopped down in the thorns and grass. "I didn't do nothing Arvakl!" The tears shed from her eyes quicker than the brutt could feel them begin.

"Speech"
@[Arvakl]
Holy shit, sorry for the wait.
- J.F.P.

Lauren
it's okay to be crazy

As my back is turned, she tries to defend herself. She tries to say that our father was fine. Really? What on earth makes her think that he was fine if he gave her the necklace he treasured and told her to run? Who would do that? Does she even THINK?! The rage that fills me cannot be dissipated so easily, and hate fills my green eyes. Hate for the broken family, the dysfunctional childhood, and what I perceive to be the little bitch that's at the root of it all. True, Adelis and I are the same age, born apart only the time it takes to carry a fetus - but for the small time that that I was an only child, things were good. Everything was great. Her birth marked the change. The evil that filled my mother must be her fault! As I stare her down, my accusation still hard and heavy in the air, Adelis tries to defend herself. I feel like a snake, ready to strike. My nerves are on edge and I have no patience for any excuses, reasons, anything. My pale ears pinned to my skull, nostrils flared, tears buried back in my ducts and the escapees dry on my face. She falls back on her ass, still proclaiming innocence in the whole affair. I strike out with a sharp-edged hoof, not intending to wound but definitely to frighten. As I stomp it on the ground, I step a stride closer.

"If I find that you had ANYTHING to do with their deaths--" I include mother, though my true pain is for the father that we both cherished, weak and flawed as he was. He was the rock in our lives, the loving one that kept us both going. "-- anything at all! I will come after you and make your life a hell you have NEVER known." The threat is real, and to say a hell she's never known is saying something indeed. Mother and I were cruel to her. I know that, though I feel no pity. She deserved it, and if mother did it why shouldn't I? That's obviously how you stay on top in this world - bullying and abuse, both emotional and physical.

I back a few steps away, raising my head up to better look down upon the pathetic, trembling mess that is my half-sister. I don't notice, but my own body is trembling. Trembling with sadness, rage, frustration.. a mix of negative emotions that don't just threaten to consume me, but are actively consuming me bit by bit like slowly running lava that no manmade force can stop. I'm not sure I can bottle the feelings that boil inside. I want to say something, anything, to the one I hold responsible for all of this. But nothing comes out. I, the sassy, slutty motherfucker ready at the drop of a hat, am at a loss for words. I turn and run, spreading my wings wide and lifting off into the sky. I'm coming apart at the seams and I don't dare let her see. I won't let her see what she's done to me.

Walk "Talk"

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Hidden Account
Nevada

>> ADELIS <<

Emotions are heavy in the night air, the moon glinting off of the sisters as one pleaded and one raged. Pain, anger, and raw emotion began taking over the strong, beautiful Arvakl while Adelis stayed coward on the earth, awaiting an ungodly beating. Instead, the doll could feel only the rush of sliced wind as a cold hoof cut through the air and the dull vibration of the hard stamp. With eyes pinched shut, nostrils pinched and chin tucked into her thin breast, the brutt could only hold her breath. Her flesh crawled with cold bumps and her blood felt thick as it pulsed quickly through her body.

The threat that seemed to make the cool air stand still was nothing that she hadn't heard before, but once the trembling bag of bones found her running eyes on her sibling, that deep sense of fear twisted her stomach into knots. Arvakl - standing tall with what seemed to be a permanent scowl carved onto her face, muscles highlighted in deep red in the bright Orangemoon - was shaking uncontrollably, her breath visible against the cold air.

Emerald eyes met artic blue, the intensity Adelis could feel - has always felt under the watch of her sister and mother alike - felt like hot blades bore into unsuspecting flesh, but she could shy away no more than she already has. Instead her breathing returns, rapid and pained while her heart beats in her ears and in her legs. The antlered doe, confused and frightened, only wishes to curl up under the gold-tipped wings of the man that had saved her only days before. To feel the warmth of that strange sand that he seemed to have control over while she was weak.

With words and only rage and the stale taste of a venomous threat left on her sister's delicate heart, the plush-winged female turned on her heels. The leaking rust in the form of light shimmering off of a healthy body helps the pained mare disappear into the night, her hoof beats quickly replaced with the bat of massive wings. She leaves the sobbing, unworthy sister behind. Alone and hot, the brutt falls to her side, her entire body throbbing as her heart beats wildly, sending thin blood every which way as quickly as it can. In between sucking in the cold air and choking of hot saliva, small squeaks would escape as she tried to call for her father..

Her father that she has left for dead. The one that she has killed. Emptiness grappled her small throat, it's tight grip cutting off her air as she choked in the silence of the night.

"Speech"
@[Arvakl]

- J.F.P.