the Rift

[OPEN] Insignificance

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

when I pretend everything is what I want it to be

I look exactly like what you had always wanted to see

The Thief’s heart sank. He had once believed that the Aurora Basin was synonymous with unhappiness; that there would never be a place for him in the midst of so much ice and snow, in the company of such callous supremacists. Caneo’s declaration of dysphoria only served to bestow a feeling of hopeless dismay upon the golden stallion. His mouth twisted downwards as he looked out to the sea, allowing a heavy sigh to escape his lips. The exhale was masked by the rush of waves upon the sand, but there was no mistaking the troubled frown upon his face. He had known the feeling. The concept of a home had been foreign, after having gone so long without knowing a family. The threat of being tied down had made him nervous and reluctant to commit, when there was as high a chance that he would fall short of all their wishes as there was that he would abandon them after a short and fruitless time. Roland had intended to leave, as Caneo had. His wish to escape had endured for months, seasons, and had only faltered once he’d found himself in the sanctuary below ground, stifled by so much rock and stagnant air. It was only then that he’d found himself longing for the Basin, his home, and had realized just how much it meant to him. There was no telling where he might be now, if he had let himself run away.

The boy’s voice came quietly through the dissonance of wind and water. The Thief tilted his head obligingly, taking in his question with a growing feeling of unease. He faltered, searching for an answer only to find that he didn’t seem to possess one. Had he ever really known? There were certain things now, convictions and friendships, that tied him to his herd, and it was both a curse and relief to feel a sense of responsibility towards them. Even if he should not have been so forthright, he couldn’t help but feel he could trust the boy. Whatever answer he gave would likely be kept between them. “Years ago, I never would have wanted such a burden. But I stayed with them because I felt it was my duty.” The wind pulled at his tail as he glanced along the beach, pulling in an even breath. “Before I even realized it, I felt a sense of loyalty to them. It is difficult now to think of my own happiness, when I must also consider the wellbeing of my family.

A sudden tension in the boy’s frame followed his words, and as Roland looked inquisitively towards him he noticed Caneo’s blue gaze had fixed upon a point past his own shoulder. The Thief frowned, his own muscles tensing as he turned to look down the uneven slope of the beach, until his searching gaze fell upon a tall and slender figure. It was like nothing Roland had ever seen before, carrying itself upon two legs rather than four. Its hide was strange, oddly pale, and long wet locks of sterling hair fell down its back. He stiffened, taking a step further to place himself between it and Caneo, even as his heart began to thunder in his chest. The Thief had never been renowned for his courage.

The creature paced towards them a few feet, leaving odd foot prints in the wet sand with every step, moving like an otherworldly specter. Roland had never known just what kind of things the ocean held, or what might have come crawling out of its depths; somehow, this was entirely more unnerving than what he had pictured. In the future he would not be so ready to return to the shore if he ran the risk of encountering such strange beasts lurking within the tide.

He blinked when it called out to them, words echoing off the rocks in what seemed an almost accusing tone, but the question it posed was harmless enough. The Thief paused, looking back at Caneo to give him a questioning glance, and to ensure he was alright. No doubt the boy was faring better than himself, for it seemed he had endured a great number of things that Roland could only imagine. With a quiet sigh, he turned back to the strange creature, tilting his head as he looked it up and down. “This is Helovia,” he replied simply, almost curtly. He could think of little else with which to fill the tense, ensuing silence. And so he stood, and watched, and willed the anxious beat of his heart to calm to its usual pace once more.

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Insignificance - by Caneo - 09-10-2014, 06:50 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Roland - 09-12-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Caneo - 09-13-2014, 05:13 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Roland - 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: Insignificance - by NPC - 09-25-2014, 03:09 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Caneo - 09-26-2014, 07:05 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Roland - 09-28-2014, 10:22 PM
RE: Insignificance - by NPC - 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Caneo - 10-10-2014, 11:55 PM
RE: Insignificance - by Roland - 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM