[PRIVATE] Ah Jeez, The Batteries are Backwards

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

My deeds are senseless
and rendered meaningless
</style>

The cloud wasn’t as awesome the second time. Or maybe it was, but my legs were still shaking like jelly and my ears were still ringing and my balance was still off and my mind was still reeling like What even the hell happened? Jeez. and there was no room in my head for the little pocket of happiness and wonder that the island had brought me before. It was gone like the shadow that had killed that poor woman—a thing of the past, the past that I could apparently see, but only through horrible, vertigo inducing sequences. Jeez, ugh. My spin still crawled whenever I thought about it.

Anyway, the cloud carried me down, and there I was again, amidst blue fire and half-imagined shadows, and I took a deep breath to try and steady my trembling limbs. Okay, enough bullshitting. This stuff’s real and it’s goin’ down whether or not we’re ready for it, so I guess I better pucker up and get on with it. Which, I guess, meant finally confronting Bro about some stuff.

“….Mesec?” I called, turning, hoping he hadn’t chosen a different path off of the island. And amazingly, somehow it was that moment in my life, my entire life of fuck-ups and consequences, that I realized I don’t know how to talk to people. I opened my mouth and kind of stopped—and something in the back of my head noticed the running theme. Shit, I thought. How do you even investigate motherfuckers? I can’t just say, “’Ey man, you’re Ma’s up to some bad juju and my Pa needs me to snoop around so I need you to spill some.” And I was thinking about that and some more stuff kind of bubbled up in my head, thoughts like this…poisonous kind of jealousy etching in the back of my eyes that I hated to have, but I had nonetheless. Bro had a Ma that wasn’t my Ma, a Ma he had known since the day he was born. A Ma that was dark and beautiful, a goddess of midnight and starlight, who that I was kinda forced to mistrust but I probably would’ve mistrusted anyway.

But I still didn’t know what to say (can’t just out-and-out admit that I hated the fact he had another family than ours) and, come to think of it, I wasn’t even sure what I was supposed to be asking about. “So…um…” I said, smooth as all get-out and obviously not awkward in the slightest. “How….how are you?” Because there was a plague and some darkness and some disappearances poppin’ around since the last time I saw him, so I guessed that was the most appropriate thing to start with.

@[Mesec]
speaking

Image Credits

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

If I could hold back the rain, would you numb the pain?

Cause I remember everything

Well, it certainly wasn’t every day when all the gods and demigods were gathered in one area – he wondered if it had ever happened before. If there had been others before the rest of them – Hototo, Roskuld, Aithniel and himself. Were there siblings out there somewhere? Perhaps in a time long past, or perhaps they were the first. It didn’t seem to matter very much either way, whether there had been others before them didn’t solve the problem that they had been presented with. It still unsettled him how callous his mother had been, and how contradictory. While scorning the death of the mare she had given him magic to help in finding her murderer.

There had been half a mind to see if the others had learned anything useful from their parents, maybe work out a plan to figure this thing out, but before he knew it everyone was scattering. Perhaps their own meetings had been as confusing as his own. He would at least follow Roskuld, not keen on the idea of letting his plucky sister disappear from his sight again now that they had been reunited. So while she had taken the cloud back down to the Veins, he had glided down soon afterwards on silent wings. His mind refused to focus on any single topic for very long – there were simply too many clamoring for attention all at once. The murder, his mother, Roskuld, that island, his mother, and – let’s face it – just the gods in general all wanted to be thought about at the same time.

One topic, at least, was considerably more favorable to focus on than the others.

Ears pricked as she called out his name – not quite as enthusiastically as last time but that was all right. They had just all been subject to the ultimate parents meeting. Being the child of one of them certainly had some weighty effects.

Mesec let her speak first as he came to stop before her and at that common place question he just couldn’t really help that smile, could he? Not for her. So a grin broke out and he even managed a bit of a chuckle. Such a broad question and there was an insane variety of answers that he could give her. He picked one laced with humour and – Mother must have been rubbing off on him – a little bit of sarcasm. “Oh you know, the usual. Totally calm about the fact that we were all summoned to a floating island in the sky and end up in some sort of weird family meeting right beside a dead body.” The laughter in his silver eyes faded away towards the end of his response – there really wasn’t anything funny about what had happened.

Without breaking his gaze from her, his tone softened as he returned the question – shifting his wings slightly. “What about you, Ros.”

Image Credits
table by Time <3

@[Roskuld] because I'm an idiot and didn't remember to tag you originally haha
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

My deeds are senseless
and rendered meaningless
</style>

”Totally calm about the fact that we were all summoned to a floating island in the sky and end up in some sort of weird family meeting right beside a dead body.”

Right? I said under my breath. Nice try, Bro, but we can’t really play off something like that like it ain’t shit. Gotta give him credit, though. There’s not much of a standard for those kinds of reactions.

I laughed along with him, really awkward and breathy, and my gaze shifted away from his own somewhere off to the right, where there was more blue stuff floating around. It…well, I guess it was petty of me, and pretty childish, but hearing him speak now, one on one, actually listening to his words was a little harder than I expected. His voice was deeper—too deep for me to comprehend and accept. And he was larger, too, pretty much an adult now, nothing awkward or gangly about him anymore. The most fucked up part about it though was the fact that he had been gone for so long, and that I was able to notice all of this so easily. Hell, I had been the bitch that went AWOL, what am I talking about? And I missed him so much but this was a different Bro now—only slightly different, it was true, and only by looks and age. But I still wish that I had grown up with him, and not away.

There was no ignoring that huge, dark, beautiful bitchy elephant in the room now; I couldn’t run around with wads of stuff stuck in my ears, avoiding the topic of our shared blood (or lack thereof) and running around with the whole “HE’LL BE MY BRO FOREVER” spiel. It was depressing seeing so much of the moon in him and a shadow that I never really perceived on him before; he used to be this open book, all easily flustered ‘n stuff, but he….well, I can’t really explain it. No, scratch that, I can: I didn’t feel like I knew him anymore. Maybe I did, I dunno, and I was just being too suspicious and butt-hurt about his Ma—but at this point, Mesec was suspect and I hated it but that’s how it was.

“I…I tried looking for you,” I said (still awkward), my eyes still averted off to the side. Jeez it wasn’t getting any easier talking to people. Who even invented words? Words did nothing but make up lies and shitty policies. If everyone did nothing but grunt and shit and sleep we’d be a whole lot less screwed than we are now. Gugh. “Where…where did you go?” I chanced a glance up at him, wondering if I was still looking for a clue or maybe still looking for my Bro. Something I can hold onto and say, “Yeah, that’s him, I was dumb for ever having any doubt.”

@[Mesec]
speaking

Image Credits

At least he got her to laugh, even if it was just for a moment before they both weren’t able to maintain it. “I’m sorry Ros, I didn’t mean to just disappear.” He had intended - wanted - to come back, sure, but his intentions didn’t really matter much at this point. It wouldn’t be any good to tell her that he had often thought about returning but there had been too much conflict in him. He was finally getting that time with his birth mother, finally getting to establish a connection that he had been craving ever since he had been dropped off as a wobbly-legged colt for his father to care for.

That had been the intention, anyway, he was sure. But the Basin hadn’t been the place for Mesec to grow up and he had found somewhere else. Maybe that was why he felt guilty about his answer to Ros’s question? Her awkwardness was mirrored in him, probably making them quite the painful pair to observe. “My… mother.” The word felt heavy and came out quietly. It was odd, referring to someone else as his mother – someone Roskuld hadn’t come from, someone that she didn’t know. He averted his eyes when he spoke those two syllables, looking away from her. He didn’t feel ashamed of his heritage but he liked the world where he was the bro of this (usually) chipper, loud, little filly and the son of the kind and beautiful Ophelia. Actually addressing the fact that they didn’t have the same mom, at least not by blood, put another weight on his heart instead of taking anything away.

This new world was uncomfortable, this one where they weren't really siblings and their friends and family were scattered - the Foothills gone or changed or whatever had happened. Growing up seemed to mean growing sadder, and Mesec wondered if there was any way to make it stop. “I spent some time with her…” There didn’t seem to be anything else that he could say about it, really.

While they were swapping awkwardly asked questions, he had one for her – thinking of the god that Ros had gone to talk to back on the island. “So, uh, you met your dad then? What’s he like?” No point in pretending he wasn’t interested. Maybe if they could talk about all of this, things would stop being so damn awkward.

Image Credits
table by Time <3

@[Roskuld]

My deeds are senseless
and rendered meaningless
</style>

*“I’m sorry Ros, I didn’t mean to just disappear.”*

I scuffed my hoof on the ground a little, shrugging my shoulders, my eyes shifting away from him again, forgiving him on the spot. “S’kay,” I muttered. I mean, I had actually tried to go ghost in the past, to run away from whatever huge thing that Pa and the rest of the world was trying to shackle me to. When I still believed in that shackle.

There wasn’t a chance of me keeping my composure and keeping a poker face when he mentioned his Ma. So I didn’t try; my jaw went hard and my body tensed up a little, hearing how he spent “time” with her, which wasn’t doing any good for my frayed nerves. What with the whole “suspect” thing, her being a flamboyant bitch (I should really stop knocking on her like that. But—I mean—she was guilty of being his Ma and I wasn’t completely over it yet). I took a breath; let it out; took another one, trying to find something to say that wasn’t totally incriminating, or stupid, or too harsh for this reunion. I was still happy to see him. It was the situation that was the shitty part of this equation, and come to think of it, I wasn’t even sure if he knew about any of that shit anyway.
Pfft, what am I talking about? He “spent time” with her, didn’t he? Eugh.

He said something about my Pa—asking me about him, what kind of person he was, what he was like—and I snorted and found something to latch my explosive unease on. “An asshole,” I snarled sarcastically, tossing my head a little, because it was the truth and it felt good to rant out a little about Pa. I mean, he was my Pa, but. Y’know. “He’s a smart-ass and a know-it-all and likes giving me shit to do.” Which was true, and you could say that I stomped away from Mesec out of irritation for my Pa without too much of an investigation. I wasn’t about to start spilling all the other stuff that I had started thinking about Pa, and Ma; all those nasty little suspicions that were probably gonna make it hard to sleep at night. I wasn’t here to complain to Mesec.

I took a short, deep breath, bracing myself, deciding it was time to face the thing that I needed to face. I turned back to Mesec, giving that tiny little shrug again, stammering out, “I don’t know, man…you know how it is.” I paused, jumping into cold water, “How…how was your Ma?” I gulped; then pressed on doggedly, beating down the thick, awkward atmosphere that I could almost chew, “Did she…did she say anything to you? About the…world or anything? Or the gods, or….” When it became apparent that all my words were gone, I clamped my mouth shut—and waited for the sky to fall.

@[Mesec]
speaking

Image Credits

Mesec laughed a little at her description of her father, a bitter sort of laugh. He let her stomp out her frustration, understanding the urge to do so, and waited patiently for her to come back. He wasn’t ready for this conversation to be over just yet. “Sounds like a god alright.” He wished it had been different for her, that she might have had a kinder dad, but the pair of them weren’t that lucky. At least she had Ophelia.

Well, turned out that there actually could have been more that he could have said about his time with his mother, in the land of night. Those hesitant questions seemed so out of the blue he was thrown off for a minute. “What?” But regained his thoughts a moment later and focused on actually responding to what she had asked. Genuine confusion furrowed his brows as he tried to think about what he had talked to his mom about while they had been together. Was there some sort of information she was supposed to have shared with him?

It hadn’t been like that. “No, Ros. She didn’t. We uh, she was trying to teach me… teach me to be more like her.” He remembered the way she had acted around the body of the pegasus and shifted uncomfortably in his stance. He didn’t want to be that disconnected from everyone, didn’t want to scoff at the idea that the loss of one life could matter. She had spent their time together teaching him, trying to bring out the darkness that was buried in his heart, not telling him about the secrets of the universe. “I don’t think it really worked… but I learned about the shadows. Even learned a new trick with my magic.” He demonstrated by summoning the shadows to swirl around him for a moment before letting them drop back as he looked hard at his little sister, trying to figure out where she was going with these questions.

All these very very, strange questions. “Why do you ask, Ros? Did your dad tell you something?”

@[Roskuld]
Image Credits
table by Time <3

My deeds are senseless
and rendered meaningless
</style>

Make him more like her, huh? Instantly the image of a smug, gorgeous purple mare entered my vision, preening her perfect, awful feathers in my mind’s eye with a sense of haughty satisfaction. I blinked it away because damn that’s weird and also sort of unfair—I mean, I’d only glimpsed the bitch once before in my life. How did I know that she was the stuck up, prissy, intolerable, over-confident asshole that I was portraying her to be? I wasn’t even giving her a chance, and maybe that’s because she was taking my Bro places, telling him things, teaching him stuff, trying to make him more like her.

That…was…one thing I appreciated about my Pa. He seemed prepared for both possibilities of me being useful or a complete catastrophe and he went ahead and claimed me as his daughter anyway. So I guess that’s something.

I watched the shadows swirl around Mesec, eyes wide and impressed. Guess his Ma was at least successful in making him a little more brawny. That was always a concern for me, about Mesec; he was older and too sweet and always a little on the scrawny side, like he was damp cotton or something. He had always been easy to wrestle into the mud before…

oh shit. He asked about my asking, why I was so curious about shit I normally wouldn’t have cared for. AND he guessed it was my Pa behind my asking. I opened my mouth, closed it, opened it again…deciding on the truth because that’s all I could give my Bro. I was gonna spit shit at him. “Well…he asked me to ask…” I said hesitantly, which was true, “I mean, I’m not sure what he wants exactly…” which was also true but was pushing it a little, because there was shit going down and it was obvious that someone was behind it. But he never really said if Mesec had anything to do with it, specifically…

“My Pa…can’t see your Ma,” I confessed suddenly, in a rush, “and it’s making him nervous.”

@[Mesec]
speaking

Image Credits

Mesec didn’t rush Ros on her answer – all that opening and closing of her mouth probably meant she wasn’t sure what she could tell him, or if she wanted to. He hoped she would – maybe they could figure something it together. He’d like to help her, be a big brother to her again. Things were so much more complicated now that their parents were more involved.

Complicated certainly seemed to fit when she finally spat it all out in a rush after dancing around the answer for a little bit. He hadn’t known what to expect but it wasn’t that. “So he’s getting you to snoop around for him?” Were the demigods just pawns to their parents?

It made him uncomfortable, the idea of Ros’s father getting her to ask around and see if they were doing something that they shouldn’t. They were the same family, he still saw it that way, but it sounded like their ethereal parents were looking to start a family feud. “She never told me… I wish I knew something to help you. Maybe it has to do with the darkness, maybe it's starting to affect them too.” He was searching his brain now, trying to think if there had been any signs. Was she up to something? No, he couldn’t start questioning her too. She was his mom. She was cold and she was darkness but she cared for him in the way that she could. Surely he would have noticed if she had been planning something during their time together.

Now he remembered something from earlier now, mentioning it in a quiet voice. “I caught your dad looking at me funny when we were up there,” Mesec motioned up to the floating island. “But I didn’t really think anything of it.”

Another pause and he was feeling like a let down. He wasn’t sure whether it was better that he knew nothing about why one god couldn’t see another, or whether it would be better to have some answers to give to his little sister. “You know I’d tell you if I knew anything right?”

@[Roskuld]
Image Credits
table by Time <3