the Rift

[OPEN] Fortunes & Favors {Grimm's Fortune Telling Booth}

Grimmrot Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Apprentice
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 3 {Ages in Tallsun} Buff: NOVICE
Nyte

Dark ears twitch in response to the lilting voices that permeate the air, and my tear-marked face turns to observe the growing crowd. My golden gaze darts from one writhing figure to the next, admiring the grace that is evident in my Lady's bounds and chuckling at the sight of some others. Some choose to remain still, lurking on the edges of the dance floor, and it is for them that my heart reaches out for. A part of me can understand their inaction for I, too, am not a pleasant dancer, but there is also a piece of me that can't help but feel disappointed. There they are, resisting the melody of voices and the closeness of bodies; but here I am, throwing bones and all alone, struggling to keep myself away from the temptations of food and joy and pleasure.

A long sigh struggles to escape my maw, but I do not release it from its damp prison. I had offered to make my services available for my herd and I should do so willingly. Do I regret my choices? Yes. I do not need the opinions of some bones to tell me that I do. Just a few fortunes, and then maybe one song... The future can go untold for a little while. I know what it is that I am trying to do, though, and I shake my head with irritation. I should not have to convince myself to commit this task.

As little as I appreciate my duty now, I actually love interpreting the hushed whispers of corpses and searching the stars for events to come. Perhaps it is a reaction to the mushrooms -- I've only just noticed the faint glow that one of my hooves gives off; a small bout of panic accompanied that realization -- or maybe it is just my boredom, but as soon as I have wrenched my gaze away from the party I am greeted by a mare who is probably my long-lost-evil-step-sister. Or something. My hide gives off a nervous twitch as she pulls herself closer, commenting on the virtue of my bones and the souls that once inhabited them.

Excuse me? The wave of anxiety that had rolled over me at the sight of her is forgotten as soon I have processed the demon's words. I'm mostly just uncomfortable now, and I can't help but feel threatened by her inquiry. You haven't even given them a chance... I wet my lips with a darting pink tongue before I can bring myself to utter a response, but luckily (or fortunately, ba-dum tsss) for me a much cheerier lady joins our discussion.

Oh Gods thank you! A wavering stare shifts from the incubus' milky face and to the newcomer's basket. Oh, what a bounty this one carries! I'll have to initiate a trade! It takes everything I have to prevent myself from plunging my nose into her stash, and I am so distracted by the treasures that my tone is distant when I say, "I use the bones to determine... well, anything really. They can confirm the past. Affirm the future-" at this I sneak another glance at her basket, but I quickly return to the paint. "-I can demonstrate, if you like?"

I turn to the bones immediately afterwards, intending to grab them but really just providing an excuse so that I do not have to look at one lady's goodies or the other's frightening stare. My tail lashes as images of the latter form, but I try my best to make them dissipate. Concentrate on the Telling! You have seen, worse after all.

It takes me a while to grasp the bones -- a set of five, should anyone be observing my struggle -- but once I have them, I release them with a quick toss of my crown. "Does the lady have something precious in her basket?" The question bursts forth like a bullet from a gun, but I do not care if it goes unheard; it is mostly for the crowd's benefit that I even say them aloud, for the bones need nothing more than the thrower's intent.

I gaze intently at the falling things as they return to their original position, a satisfied grin stretching across my face. "As you can see, pretty miss, the bones have spoken. You do indeed have a precious item under your care. Shall we study your goods to see which that might be? Or do you already know what it is that is so valuable?" At this I approach her basket, peering into the expertly crafted vessel to observe the trinkets within. Perhaps my curiosity is not as honest as my greed, but hey, at least the bones were!

Talking

some fortune cookies contain no fortune

April Mo @ flickr

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fortunes & Favors {Grimm's Fortune Telling Booth} - by Grimmrot - 10-08-2014, 07:19 PM