the Rift

[PRIVATE] my father was an oak

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
I am a stone, unaffected

Rain hell down onto me

The harshness of Frostfall was upon this world already, the pair knew. Both of their coats grew thick and their muscles tight with the cold. Loretta was pleased by this weather, the female desperately loathing the season of Tallsun. She was bred and born for the cold; naturally, she was a survivor. Her hellish personality matched the raging storms she was able to withstand by her blood. And so she bound, tail happily waving as a curled banner above the straight of her back. She yipped and whined and howled, bursting through the snow and chasing small woodland creatures that had yet to make their winter beds. Every so often amber eyes would belgard to her bondmate, his behemoth mass stalking behind her.

Archibald was merely roaming the Edge in this time of freole. His duties were done, and his restlessness needed to be fed, and so he wandered. He was in search of nothing, but merely admitting each step and turn, each tree and path and rock(albeit snow covered) to his memory. He knew the land well already, but with seasons everything changed. Helovia was not a land to stay stagnant, much like his birth home. Finally, reaching the point where the earth dropped in to the sea, Archibald stopped. Loretta continued to play in her wintertime wonder. Archibald watched her with soft eyes, not unusual to this private contact between himself and his soulmate.

Her age seemed to be lost as she frolicked like a puppy, yipping over the sound of the crashing waves. Archibald lifted his chin to look out at the horizon, the salty breeze chilly against his thick, winter coat. His face hardened some as he stood there, watching the ocean in the distance. The sun was blocked by thick, heavy, precipitation filled winter clouds, and no light obscured his vision. Everything was clear, forever. The hues of blue, green, purple and white danced in the waters below, the sound of waves crashing against the rocks and his companion dancing the soundtrack to his thoughts.

"Speech"

@[Evangeline]

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
Evangeline
you always want what you're running from

Frostfall had only just begun and, already, Evangeline was tired of it. She longed for the long days of Tallsun, the sun high overhead spreading warmth to nearly all reaches of Helovia. She was not a creature meant for ice and snow but one meant for warm breezes laced with the smell of clover and pine. She even yearned for the afternoon thunderstorms that would often flare up and disappear as soon as they'd come.

'Fire.' Tallis said firmly. 'Make fire. Warm. No like cold.' The dragon had taken to hiding beneath Evangeline's mane to shield himself from the icy wind and the snowflakes that would fall from the heavy clouds that always seemed to hang overhead and block out the sunshine. She wished there was some way that she could make them all disappear so the sun could shine its meager warmth on the face of Frostfall.

Evangeline's ears flicked forward as the sound of something playing in the snow became audible and as she and Tallis moved closer she could hear the yips, barks, and growls of a dog. Rather than run away Eva ventured closer to see if it were a wolf playing in the snow or someone's companion. Tallis spotted the dog first, but Evangeline's gaze found Archibald almost immediately. He was certainly a stallion that was unforgettable not only because of his enormous size but also because of his prowess in battle. She remembered him well enough, remembered Roanne mentioning him on several occasions when they had spoken of the Woodlands' warriors. She also remembered his brothers and his wretched mother that had called the Woodlands home when she had ruled over them.

"Archibald."The orange mare spoke his name softly as her steps came to a stop. Her eyes remained fixed on him as Tallis began to search their surroundings for the monster that masqueraded as a mare.

"."

@[Archibald]

and you know this is more than you can take
full image/stock credits

I am a stone, unaffected

Rain hell down onto me

Loretta stopped, the wind whispering gently in her ears as they perked to the hoofbeats of a newcomer. She lowered her head some, nearly level with her shoulders, and a warning, rumbling growl gave way from the depths of her throat. Her amber eyes shifted onto her bond, sending the image of the orange stranger--to her--to Archibald. A single flick of his inky ears calmed his bondmate, silencing her threat. She led me in Isilme. Be still. Obediently, Loretta turned and cantered towards her master, though her fur still prickled along her spine. Archibald seemed to trust the orange mare and her orange dragon, but Loretta was not so easily swayed.

"You look fair, Evangeline." The Captain turned his molten gaze towards the mare, the change in her face from aging and their separation not diminishing the warmth he had always remembered to follow and embody the Pure. He had not seen the young, but wise, mare since they both fought to protect their families from the shades that attacked Helovia. "It is Archibald the Dauntless, now. Many things have changed since you ruled the Mystic Woodlands." Archibald's voice was flat, and his eyes hardened some from the state they had been in when he was watching his companion play in the snow.

Archibald turned his gaze back towards the ocean horizon. Yes, plenty of things had changed. Like Roanne the Sentinel. He led alongside the orange mare here in his presence, and Archibald had always speculated silently that there were feelings deeper and more passionate that sparked between them, more than just a political partnership. After all, he had been there when they were made leaders together. He knew how they looked at each other. Clearing his throat, Archibald shifted his body and turned to face Evangeline fully. She was smaller than he remembered. "How do you serve the Edge?" Parts of him wondered if her desires were for leadership again, or if, like the Sentinel, she had lost herself and her ambitions after the demise of their home.

@[Evangeline]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Outcast
Evangeline

In order to search the area for Mandrake properly, Tallis had to leave the comfort of Evangeline's mane. His exploration, however, was short lived as he circled back around after hearing the growl from the red dog. He hissed loudly in return, smoke billowing from his mouth along with his warning. If she laid one paw on his bonded her would set fire to her before she could blink. "Tallis." Evangeline allowed her gaze to raise to her dragon as he circled overhead. "Calm yourself." Reluctantly the dragon's hissing stopped as did the billowing smoke. He circled lower and landed upon Evangeline's back. He continued to glare at the dog, though Eva paid her no mind as Archibald began to speak to her.

"Dauntless." She murmured his title as he gave it to her and she nodded her head. It was a fitting title for him. "It appears so." The orange mare answered again. She did not need him to tell her that things had changed since she ruled the Woodlands. Sadness constricted her chest as she thought of the home that she could never go back to. "How did you come by your title? Did you become the leader or did you acquire it in battle?" She would not be surprised if the latter were true because she had always been told he was a beast on the battlefield.

"I serve as Emissary to the King and Queen." It was a step down from where she had been in Isilme, and part of her desired that position again, but a greater part of her did not want the responsibility that came with being a leader. It was tiring being responsible for every soul that resided within a herd. "If my memory serves me correctly and what rumors I've heard you've become Captain?" Her head tilted slightly. "What of your mother and your brothers? Are they here as well?"

"."

@[Archibald]

full image/stock credits

I am a stone, unaffected

Rain hell down onto me

Loretta, with amber eyes calm but skeptical, looked to the orange dragon that had responded to her threat. She gave a small huff in his direction before she lay in the snow beneath Archibald's massive frame. Her thick coat protected her well, and she panted calmly as she watched the Pure and the Dauntless converse. She did not enjoy this feeling, the uncomfortable itch in her chest from being unaware of her bond mate's history. All in Helovia that Archibald knew, Loretta knew. However, creatures from the depths of Isilme, a land which Loretta was not born in to like her warlord, were foreign to her. Evangeline smelled like the Edge, and Archibald's calmness towards her solidified her rank, but Loretta did not want to give her the time of day. "I served for many years in the Windtossed Foothills. I climbed the ladder ranks from warrior to General, and I took up leadership after I dethroned the malicious beast Ricochet for attacking a young mare, Ophelia. In time, I was challenged for my crown." Archibald continued to look out to the sea, letting the scenes play in his mind's eye. "In my downfall I found new glory. I took the position of General in the mercenary band The Grey and I lead an invasion targeted at the Foothills with the leaders of the Grey, Ophelia and Ktulu. Perhaps you know of them--their father is Paladin the Valiant and their mother Soliel the Virtuous, and the pair led the Tides in Isilme." Archibald's ears twitched on his poll. "I served several seasons as General for the Grey, before stepping down after an invasion on these very lands." The behemoth made a sweeping motion with his head and neck. "After Helovia fell to darkness the Foothills were no more, and I gave my services and skills to the Edge. I fought in a tournament and defeated three opponents for my title of Captain."

Archibald's golden gaze swept from the sea back to Evangeline's emeralds. He kept her gaze hard, solid, but his face did not break from his stoicness. His recall of his rank history was not enough, it seemed, for she had more questions. She asked of his family, and the Dauntless' eyes narrowed some. "My family is dead. Only my sons share my blood now." Archibald did not know for certain that the entirety of his family was deceased, but none of them were in Helovia. He hoped, in the back of his cavernous mind, that Knox was thriving somewhere free from the demons of his life in Helovia. Perhaps Evers was prospering somewhere, teaching foals and adults alike the ways of wisdom and leadership. He suspected the youngling, Darwin, the product of ash and fire had not made it to adulthood--but, he knew the colt held Mandrake's blood, and it was not so easily washed away.

Taking a step towards the mare, Archibald lowered his head an inch or so. His next words would be hard on the heart of the mare, he predicted, and he would offer her a condoling touch if she seemed to need it. "The Sentinel has fallen as well. We are all that is left of the Woodlands, Evangeline." Archibald's voice hardened, an obvious sting of pain laced behind his words. The Woodlands had been his home since his foalhood, and remembering them now was like a dream, a dream Archibald desired to visit in the flesh. He knew, however, the shades that threw them out and destroyed loved ones and powerful warriors had demolished the land into something unrecognizable. Helovia was his home now, specifically the World's Edge, and he stood to protect it well.

@[Evangeline]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Outcast
Evangeline

Evangeline listened quietly and patiently as Archibald began to recount his experiences in Helovia. Her ears twitched as he mentioned Ricochet and a ping of sadness speared her heart. At one point he had been a friend to her, one that she had cared for despite his hateful ways. Their friendship had ended, however, when he discovered that her daughter was a unicorn. It did not surprise her that Ricochet had attacked someone. "Is it safe to assume the girl that he attacked was a unicorn?" She asked, though her instinct was screaming at her that she was correct. She had not known Ricochet to attack another equine for no reason.

As Archibald continued with his story, which was steeped in violence and blood, Evangeline continued to listen. She kept her expression neutral, though if he knew her at all he would know that she disapproved of the violence. She was not foolish enough, however, to think he would care about what she approved or disapproved of. 'Sometimes can't help.' Tallis murmured as he continued to stare down the stallion's companion. 'Ampere.' He reminded and Evangeline knew he was right, but that didn't mean she had to agree with him.

"My family is dead. Only my sons share my blood now."

"I'm sorry to hear that." She said, though she could not feel truly sorry that Mandrake had finally met her end. Eva also found it difficult to imagine Archibald becoming a father. It made her wonder if he had found a mate or if it had been some whirlwind romance that had resulted in two sons and fizzled out or even a one night stand. "Congratulations, though." A small smile lifted the corners of her mouth. "I never pegged you for a father. What are your son's names?"

Shortly after her question their conversation turned to Roanne and she felt that familiar anxiety gnawing at her then completely consuming her as Archibald confirmed her worst fears. Her heart felt like it sank through her chest and onto the ground at her hooves. "How?" Was her only question.

"."

@[Archibald]

full image/stock credits

I am a stone, unaffected

Rain hell down onto me

A thick, black tail swung behind the massive beast and tickled his hocks, his ears finally ceasing their incessant twitching. They did that when he thought, a beacon to his ever-churning mind. Most had a tendency to peg Archibald for nothing more than a slab of muscle, his brawn outweighing his brain, but those who made the assumption were sorely mistaken. Archibald wondered if Evangeline found him more than just a warlord, found him intelligent and deserving of respect. He was a leader by nature, able to rally those around him with ease and bring them to greatness. He held high expectations of those in his keep, only stimulated by his vast mind. Mandrake had not been an idiot in raising her greatest son, just misguided.

When the Pure asked of Ophelia's unicorn blood, Archibald gave a simple nod. He need not delve into her full heritage, explain her hybrid blood that bonded her to a dragon whilst being crowned with a silk-white horn, for it was not his story to tell. It was Phi's, and he would not take it away from her. In the depths of his chest, he missed the crimson and alabaster mare. While she did not hold the same level of bond that Ktulu had within Archibald's soul, Ophelia was still a part of him. They had been family once, and he had protected her for years. They respected each other and saw strength in each other, something Archibald wished to still have in his life. He wondered what the mare was up to now, was she with her children, the demi-gods she had birthed and adopted? Whatever it was, she was most likely living successfully. The Dauntless would not see her living with anything less.

"Empathy is not needed. She deserved to die. Her heart was black." How would Evangeline take this? Surely, from knowing the jaguar mare she agreed, but would she peg Archibald with having the same heart? His life was filled with war and battle, something the Pure had fought against with peace and diplomacy in her time as lead. A simple blink gave way to the lifting of his head, a sparkle of pride brightening his stoic gaze. "They are twins, born of strength. Reginald, the oldest, is a strong grey lad. Abraham, the younger, is a black and white boy with a dragon bonded." Archibald looked out to the sea once more, recalling his sons. As deep as his desire for them to be at his side, learning his ways, discovering what he already knew under his iron hoof, he knew his sons needed to explore the world and make their own decisions. He would never parent like Mandrake, never bend the wills of his children to match his own. Never.

How?

Archibald could hear the heartbreak in her voice as she asked about Roanne, and he turned his face away from her. A deep sigh escaped his lips before he turned to face her again, blatant sorrow for her painted across his scarred features. "He sired a son with Mandrake. His name was--is--Knox. After the birth...the father must fall to the same fate as the others." Archibald waited for Evangeline to put the pieces together, but he kept his body and eyes still, holding his breath.

@[Evangeline]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Outcast
Evangeline

"Very well." Eva murmured as the Dauntless told her that no empathy was needed because of his mother's death. She really felt no remorse that the grey mare had met her end. Curiosity gnawed at the strands of her mind, but she did not ask how Mandrake had died because part of her did not care enough to ask. Did it make her terrible for not feeling remorse? 'No.' Tallis answered firmly. 'Mandrake evil. Evil need to die.' Perhaps he was right. 'Tallis always right.'

While her exchange with Tallis went on, Archibald moved on to the subject of his sons, giving her both names and descriptions. "You sound very proud of them." She often found that parents were proud of their children regardless of what they may have done. She was guilty of it, herself. Sometimes she thought there was very little that her children could do that would diminish how proud she was of them even if they weren't a continuous presence in her life. They had grown up quickly, eager to experience life on their own and she admired their tenacity.

Of course, however, their conversation could not stay on something so pleasant as their children. After hearing Archibald confirm her worst fears she didn't think that the conversation could get any worse, but it did. Disgust made her lip curl as she was told that he had sired a son with Mandrake. How could he bed a mare as vile as her? Her ears snapped forward at Archibald's final statement and she stared at him. "The same fate...?" Realization was slow, but when it came it hit her with the force of a freight train, taking half of her heart with it.

"You..." killed him. "You..." murdered him. "You... You son of a bitch." Evangeline was usually a calm creature, one who was composed and did not easily lose her temper but in one fell swoop Archibald had pushed her over the edge and she was falling. "The hypocrisy in your family is unbelievable!" She hissed. "Why have you not met the same fate?" Her voice steadily rose until she was nearly shouting at the Dauntless, careless about the sadness in his eyes. "If he's dead for fathering a child then you should be, too!" In her eyes Archibald would never be half the stallion Roanne was. On her back, Tallis stood alert and ready to set fire to the stallion and his dog should they choose to attack is bonded.

"."

@[Archibald]

full image/stock credits