the Rift

Through the wormhole. [Mauja]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

You are walking through the World's Edge one peaceful Orangemoon morning, with the first lights of yellow breaking through the trees and dappling the forest ground with delicate, intricate patterns. There is one such grouping of the dapples, though, that seem to shimmer and shift, and, intrigued, you step closer to investigate, your blue eyes looking at them carefully, a paw stretching out hesitantly to touch one of the yellow dots. Upon connection, up the golden dots of sunlight jump from the ground and begin to swirl, a portal opened in the earth. On the other side is the sight of winter - the Frostbreath Steppe. Careful, though, because this is not simply the present day Steppe.

Oh, no, Mauja. You are stepping through time, but how?

Backward through time you travel, walking along the pathway cautiously until crisp snow, the true hallmark of Frostfall, crunches underneath your hooves. You see a lone tree among the expanse of white, and from it you here a coo. Approaching the three, you see a snowy owl, gazing at you with wise, black eyes. Something is odd with this owl, though, as there seems to be static electricity surrounding it, occasionally sparking out to be entirely visible. What magic does this creature hold?

Somewhere in the distance, unnoticed by all, I, a stallion of black with white markings watches the scene unfold.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

It wasn't what he had expected at all.

Because honestly, what does one do when the light that shifts and shimmers suddenly leaps into life, hovering gently, dashing this way and that, struck full of that golden glow? The moment his frosty, striped hoof had touched the odd little motes of light they'd begun to dance, slowly stretching up until he would easily be able to pass through, horn and all. Behind him, and to his sides, the forest of the Edge stretched out, pale mist swirling all around, hanging like sheets but set ablaze with the warm morning light. Mauja blinked, drew in a deep breath of air he knew, looked at the towering trunks and a spiderweb which glistened wetly in the morning light. This was the world he knew - a world he loved, a place he knew so very well. But when his cold blue eyes returned to that which was straight ahead, it was not the Edge spreading out as it always did. It was a land of winter, but a beautiful one; sunlight glinted off the cold, crisp surface of snow, unbroken. The air held the crystal clarity of really cold days, the sky pale blue. It was the kind of winter's day which Mauja loved. Cold, crisp, clear, yet if you stood still and simply let the sun play across your skin, you felt warm.

Why on earth it was here, he had no idea, but curiosity killed the cat (and some also claim it brought it back to life). With a last look at his well-known forest, the King took a deep breath, and stepped through the strange portal of light. Vertigo struck him for a moment, the breath hitching in his chest, heart skipping a beat and for the shortest of seconds it felt like the world fell away beneath his hooves. And then, he felt the snow under his hooves, the excess warmth being leeched out of him by the cold, still air, yet the sun warmed his back pleasantly. Fog steamed out of his nostrils with each exhalation, and without a glance over his shoulder he let his gaze sweep across the horizon of this wondrous place. He knew the horizon, the hint of the Arch to the south, the faintest shimmer of the ice cold ocean to the north. This - this was what he was born for, and a relaxed, pleased smile settled on his face.

A coo caught his attention, and drew it towards a single tree. Odd. He didn't recall there being many trees like this on the Steppe. Frowning slightly, Mauja began to walk closer to it. The entire thing, from stepping into a portal and somehow ending up in the Frostbreath Steppe in Frostfall, felt surreal - and that alone was no wonder. He'd been teleported through space and time both, so what was this? Real, or a dream? He felt light and airy, but maybe that was just the glory of winter invigorating him.

Finally he was close enough to make out real details in the tree, and the first thing that struck him was two black eyes staring back at him. They belonged to a snowy owl who blended seamlessly with the winter setting, though it sat unmoving there, simply watching Mauja with wise eyes. A shiver traveled down his spine, tail lashing against his hocks. There was a weight in those eyes, and as with all things, it seemed quite - off. The more he looked at it, the less it felt like he saw it, and the air around it seemed to shimmer and vibrate. Occasionally something sparked out, a foreign noise in his ears, but it came in quick flashes, too fast to see. "Greetings, winter one," he murmured, not quite sure why he was here, nor sure of where here was - or rather, when it had been?

angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Helovian Ancient

I watch as the owl tilts its head, much in the same manner as myself.

The dark eyes glimmer with energy, but they are stable, looking at you with a quiet omnipotence that you may not expect from such a small creature. "Greetings, Mauja the Frostheart," the beak clicks, struggling with the tongue of the equid with its odd anatomy. He is not meant to speak your language, but the strings that pull on his mind make him do it anyway. "Ruler of the Edge in future times."

There it is, your first real hint that you are not in the Helovia that you know and love. While the season of Frostfall entices you, this is a foreign land. How far have you gone back? Your mind might race thinking about that, but I know. Yet, you are left to stand in mystery, and the owl will certainly not tell you. I will not tell you.

The owl begins to ruffle its feathers, shuffling around to grasp at something. You watch his movements carefully, for it is the reason you have come here. From the tree the owl produces an egg. It is small, white, very dull and ordinary. Yet there is a soft glimmer of blue on its shell that you can only see in random flickers of the winter sun. "This is your fated companion," the Owl says matter-of-factly. "But it was born before your time."

The owl suddenly levitates the egg in a static limb, crackling and buzzing as it makes the egg float down to you, making a loop around your neck and holding the egg in place by your heart. A chain of strange, cool electricity for the convenience of carrying your egg. "For this reason, you had to come back here."

Ascended Helovian

Again, a shiver traveled down his spine. There was something in those eyes - a clear weight, a power, it wasn't afraid, it knew it could do, well.. anything. At least, that's how it seemed to him, a mere mortal standing in a place he wasn't quite sure where it was or when it had been. It shared a horizon with the Steppe of his memory, but how could he truly know? He couldn't. And this owl - steadfast, obsidian eyes held him trapped, clipped speech coming from his black beak. Coal-tipped ears swiveled forward, straining to catch every syllable of that odd voice. The owl knew his name, and that did not surprise him in the least. In fact, he would've been more surprised he hadn't. What kind of magical owl would he be if he didn't? Not a very good one. Ruler of the Edge in future times. Hearing it spoken in that strange voice from that strange owl with his heavy eyes made Mauja's fur stand on end all over, something so much more than a shiver passing through his entire being. Future times - as in, his future, or the owl's future? Winter crunched under his hooves, winter lived in his lungs with the air he breathed, winter clung like frost and icicles to the static world around him.

Winter was due in a few months. Winter had occurred countless times in the past, so many cycles that he had no idea if he even had a number for its longevity. Which winter was he in? The past, or the future? The King drew another deep breath. Did it matter which one, truly?

Movement drew his eyes lower, watching those huge, taloned feet shuffle around until they found something. Bared to his mortal eyes was an egg, seeming perfectly smooth and looking like any other white bird's egg he'd seen. Yet there was something... His head drew closer, neck straining to point his muzzle and eyes as close to it as possible. When the faint breeze shifted the branches of the tree, the sunlight shifted too, and cold blue flashes traced patterns across the shell whenever hit at the right angle. "This is your fated companion," that strange voice said, and something within Mauja grew very still. Fated companion? He knew of Helovia and its companions, but - fated? How had he somehow gotten tangled up in the fate of things, when had he become someone who had to travel through time just to make sure it happened? Before my time... He was in a winter past, then, but how many winters past? Blinking, he watched the egg levitate, hints of the same flashing electricity holding it and gently coiling itself around his neck. Mauja held still, afraid even to breathe, feeling the soft weight of it against his broad chest. The magic around his neck seemed to solidify, a strange, cold thing against his pale skin. Once it stopped tingling, he let out the breath he'd held, a plume of white rising into the air.

Slowly he brought his gaze up to the owl's, uncertain of what to say - or what to do. Coming here had been easy. Would leaving be, too? So many questions spun in his head, and now that this gift had been given, it felt like his time would soon run out (and maybe he'd wake up in a clearing, this only a dream). "I- thank you..." he managed to say, looking about him again, but not seeing anything but the vast expanse of snow. "How far in the past is this? Will you return me to my time, and what will happen of this egg, then? Or am I fated to stay here, with my companion?" The latter sent a dread chill through him, a knot tying itself in his belly. Did he know of a Mauja from Helovia's past, bonded to some type of bird? Or would he be stuck here now, ultimately altering all of history, completely rewriting the last - what, centuries? - with this strange turn of events?

Or would he just turn around, walk back through the portal, and live the rest of his mortal life with a companion who had lived and maybe even died years before Mauja came into the world?

It was enough to make him dizzy, yet his mind hungered for the knowledge hidden here, on this snowy plains, in this cold, lone tree, and in the deep, powerful eyes of the owl.
He hungered, and he knew that he would likely never know.

Helovian Ancient

You are intrigued, and I am pleased.

The cool and composed Mauja seems utterly flustered in this foreign situation, you seem so flustered. Most mortals would be, walking back through time only to be given a small egg to care for. Still, the emotion is out of place on you, and that is a beautiful thing to witness for me. "You are welcome," the owl clicks, the beak making sharp sounds and cut off syllables.

The questions begin to roll. The owl watches passively, but every word is carefully recorded. Static crackles slowly as silence stretches between them. "You have a choice," the owl says abruptly, bringing the relief that the unicorn sought. "You can remain in the past and seek out the answers to all of your questions about it, or you may return home with the egg you have been given." You would return home, for the mystery of this past realm is not great enough to override your responsibilities in the future.

I know this, you know this.

"When the egg hatches, you will know each other instantly, but be sure to hunt, or the bird will surely die."

Ascended Helovian

The weight against his chest, it was foreign - it was precious and fragile, a thing he would keep safe. He could not go to war with it. He could not risk crushing the shell and spilling what life was meant to be bound to his, a far more intimate relationship than any he had ever entered before. Mauja was not an open creature by nature. As much as the idea of having a fated companion boggled his mind, there was also something anxious in that deep, dark soul of his: this creature would, in time, know him, in and out. It would know his mind. His heart.

He had never, ever experienced such a thing with anyone before. Even as the owl's speech, only doing nothing but teasing him with knowledge, floated around his ears did he look down, trying - desperately - to look at the egg. Of course, he couldn't. His whole damn head was in the way.

He could just feel it, barely any weight at all around his thick neck, the lightest of touches against his muscles. So, he had a choice. Stay here, a land and time unknown, but one that desperately wanted his attention - it wanted his curiosity, and he wished he could give in, prowl this snowy expanse and prod it for secrets. He wished he could see the ones who lived here now - if any did - and what they had been like. Primal and primitive, or glorious ancients whose kingdom had since dulled, and been forgotten, covered by snow until even the sharpest edges had been worn down?

For the first time since coming here, Mauja looked over his shoulder, peering at the portal. Still framed by dancing light, the Orangemoon Edge he knew so well hanging just behind it. A single step from this side to the other, a single, sickening, world-wrenching moment. Here lay nothing he knew, a tree, himself, and an egg, snow and the cold winter sun. On the other side lay his herd - and the few individuals he nearly dared trust. On that side lay d'Artagnan, and his children. Snö, Tamlin. Monster, rude Korra, short Aurelius, sad Huyana and happy Lena - Faelene, Descaro, Lotus, Delinne... Somewhere out there was Psyche. There were so many - too many - of them. He was their King.

It had always been a privilege, and honor, to lead them. For a single moment in time, it was a burden.

The Ice King heaved a sigh, blue eyes looking back to the tree and its owl. "Thank you for everything," he murmured, something defeated and sorrowful in his voice. "Though I wish to know more of this time, of you, of everything that has ever been and will be.. this is not my time. I have a responsibility to my herd.

"I will not forget. I will do what I can to honor you, and that which has been. I hope your life was a glorious one, winter one."

And then, he turned, but did not yet move. The egg bumped gently against him whenever he moved, and in hesitation his ears fell back. Slowly, he looked over his shoulder again; this time, at the wintery world. "Is my time here running short, or will staying here and asking you things get me anywhere?" If he was bound to return to his own home - why act like a kicked dog and waste this opportunity to know more? Better to ask and know for sure if he would learn anything, than spend an entire lifetime wondering what he would've been told if he had.

Helovian Ancient

The indecision weighs heavily on you for only a moment.

I think that I am fascinated by the way you look back toward all those who rely on you, but I think the pivotal deciding factor is the children you love, and the bitch who ran away that your heart still earns for silently. The owl sees it well, his dark eyes watching you calmly. The answer is the same, though. You will return, even while your mind thinks back to this quiet winter morning so long before your time.

Your questions, your words, come next, and the owl blinks once before a serious look takes shape in his feathered face. "The portal is a hole that tears through the natural order. The longer it is open the more unstable time becomes." The clicking of his beak stops, and a strong look is given.

"Do not worry, Ice King," he says, "I am certain your questions will be answered eventually."

Ascended Helovian

Poised there between the past and the present, Mauja saw the owl's shape grow grave. Faintly he inclined his head, acknowledging the defeat - the alien touch against his chest pulled at his attention, and the stronger, deeper yearning in his heart grew. He knew that he could not stay - that he wasn't meant to stay. He could, at least the owl had hinted as much, but that wasn't how it was meant to be. Fate had delivered him and his companion at different times, and made amends for that now. It would be simple courtesy to return to where he had come from.

But, had his companion already lives its life once? Would it remember that?
Only time would tell.

"Of course," he murmured. The portal danced in the corner of his eye, a play of light and so much more, nothing at all like the static around the owl. Something in him seemed - soft? No. No, not soft, but maybe gentle, understanding. Soothing. A faint, bitter laugh escaped him. Wasn't it always so, that the things he yearned to know where not meant for his mind to pick apart? He had learned to live with it, and this not-quite promise was more than any other thing he'd ever been given. So would he be the fool, and wake every time with the hopes of it being revealed, only to die a starved man? It was possible. "If fate wills it," he said with a shrug. "Good-bye then, winter one. I doubt I will ever forget this."

With a swish of his tail, he approached the portal again. Cold air nipped at his haunches, urging him on, back to his real world, heart heavy, torn both ways - yet he could not stay here, despite his curiosity. Briefly, he tossed a look over his shoulder at the lone tree again before stepping through. The same sickening sensation of having the world torn out from underneath your feet, the roll of your gut as there is no gravity, no up no down, and then he stood in the Edge once more, Orangemoon sunlight filtering in through the trees - warmer, brighter, than when he'd gone. The heaviest fog had been burned away, the dappled play of light and shadow normal - no portals forming at his touch. Around his neck, the ethereal chain remained, cool and foreign against his skin. Gently he arched his neck, bringing his muzzle in towards his chest, feeling the smooth curvature of the egg there.

It seemed that his companion would be reborn.

"At least I have you, whoever you are," he murmured, before walking forward with a sigh. One experience, a thousand questions. A single, beautiful day somewhen in the past.

For how long would it haunt him?