the Rift

respite [paladin]

Soleil the Virtuous Posts: 40
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 11
ali

You are the light that's leading me
To the place where I find peace again

Each step that had carried her from the Foothills to the Grove had been pure agony. The Sun God had burned across her back, shoulders, and neck. It may have been foolish for her to attack him, but she would rather attack him and be burned or even killed than bear his child. Soleil snorted softly, her head hanging slightly. There was very little relief, she found. Every move she made pulled on the still raw skin. The cool water did little to dull the pain and she found herself thinking that maybe she should have stayed in the Foothills and waited for the healer to take pity on her and heal her burns. She had just wanted to get away, though. She wanted to be far away from the burned land, away from the mare that would bear the Sun God's child, away from everything.

Soleil moved slowly into the water, allowing it to cover her back and lap gently at her burned neck. The vain mare inside of her hoped that the burns wouldn't scar too badly, but the warrior didn't care. The burns would be testament to her fight against the Sun God. As foolish as it may have been to attack him she was still glad that she had. She'd managed to hit him. Her hooves had connected very solidly with his chest and the sound of his voice, that 'Ow' still made her smile. It made it worth it, if only a little.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

Paladin had missed the grove where he and Soleil and conceived their twin boys. The place was relaxing and beautiful, calm and still. He needed all of that right now, especially since Soleil's absence from the Foothills had turned the normally calm and collected stallion into a bundle of nerves and fear. Poppy's work on his body had peeled off with his forced movement, and blood began to leak down the wounds. Still, they did not hurt as much as before, and the blistering was lessened.

Where would she go? In their old home, they would have made their way up to the Sky Mirror, but though the grove lacked frost, it had a peaceful, beautiful lake. So, he shoved his body into a trot, limping on one leg to keep the pain of stretching skin down as much as possible. When he arrived, he shouldered the hanging tendrils of a willow tree and mused that it did look much like the strange new storyteller.

He looked at the clear blue water and began to slowly lower himself in before the sunlight caught on a white mare in the distance. Soleil Paladin let out a joyous call and lunged through the cool lake, making his way to her sides in agonizingly long seconds. Once close to her, he shoved the scarred side of his face into her neck, breathing softly into her silver mane. "Are you all right?" he whispered.

Deceased
ali

You are the light that's leading me
To the place where I find peace again

"Paladin?" Soleil turned her head in time to see the dark body of her love crash into the water as he ran to her. A small smile graced her lips, but faded as he got closer and she saw that he was injured. She knew nothing of his fight with her mother for leadership, nor that her mother had left because of it. She was clueless to the fact that he had instated her as the Equine representative as he had done in Isilme. The only thing she knew was that she was in pain and so was her love.

"Paladin, what happened?" She ignored his own question of how she was for the moment, more concerned for his own well-being than her own. As he pressed his face against her neck she touched her muzzle to the side of his own neck. "Are you okay? Who did that to you?"

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

Paladin saw the scars and burns that marred her perfect pale hide along her back and felt sick. Confusion and anger filled his heart, and he could do nothing for a few moments but stare as the world around him collapsed. Red and white noise filled his ears, and he drowned in a sea of self-loathing. He had not been there to protect her from this, and he hated himself for it. Had this happened when he was fighting? Did he ignore the signs of her cries for his own gain? For the herd instead of his love?

The soft fur of on her face rubbed against his cheek, and he closed his eyes instinctively. Her beautiful voice lulled him out of his stupor, and he answered absently. Gossamer's dragon," he replied in short honesty, more concerned with her. "I am fine." Those words were a damned lie. Apart from his own pain, his soul was aching for her, and his crimson eyes filled with self loathing.

"What happened to you?" he asked carefully. "I... where was I? Could... I failed you." The words rolled of his tongue with brutal realization, and he in that moment, he wanted to give the entire damned Foothills to Smoke and Ricochet. He cared not for the leadership. He cared about Soleil, and he failed her. The light at the end of this day was waning, and his heart beat with a dull throb in his chest.

Deceased
ali

S O L E I L
Does it have to start with a broken heart
Broken dreams and bleeding parts

The mare's ears fell back and her eyes widened at the knowledge that her mother's dragon had burned Paladin. Lazulli wouldn't do it without being commanded to or provoked, though. She couldn't imagine Paladin provoking the dragon into burning him, so it only left one option. Her mother had made the dragon burn him. "What? But why?" She couldn't understand it. Why would her mother burn someone when she always claimed to be so gentle. "No you're not." She argued when Paladin said that he was fine. "Have you seen a healer yet?"

She moved her muzzle to a part of her love's shoulder that had not been burned and nuzzled him. If she had been there she could have stopped her mother from allowing the dragon to burn him. She could have stopped her from inflicting so much pain on someone else. The mare had been blessed by the gods for so long, she didn't know what it was to suffer.

"The Sun God doesn't take well to being dealt his own medicine." Soleil said humorously. "He attacked the Foothills and I attacked him." It may have been just a little foolish on her part, but words had gotten them nowhere. At least her attacks had made him focus more on her than continuing to burn their home. "I don't know." Came her answer when he asked where he was, but when he said he failed her she pulled away and gave him a serious look. "Don't say that." How could he fail her? He gave her everything she ever wanted in her life. A family to cherish and all the love she could ever ask for. "You could never fail me."