the Rift

[OPEN] - - - where once I walked

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

keep on walking, soldier girl, home is far behind you

Megaera was no stranger to the cold; tundra-born had made her well used to the harsh winds and cold bite of Frostfall, but she was not well suited for it. Her sire’s folk had been thick bodied and hot blooded, bred to thrive in the harsh domain, but Meg had been born with too much of her mother’s desert blood and had always sought warmer climates. That had been one of the attractions that this land held when she had first come here. The desert oasis and the creatures that had dwelled there had taken her in, welcomed her, began to sooth her restless heart. And how had she thanked them?

By leaving?

The shame of it still boiled fresh inside her. She had gone with noble intentions. Helovia had been taken by the darkness, herds had been torn apart and she had set out for one of the only sources of hope she’d held for the land. Meg had gone to find Goucho, the Sultan that had welcomed her and the General in the resistance against the spreading pestilence. When no sign of the stallion had been found in Helovia, the young warrior had ventured west to the Lands Beyond, and she’d found nothing. Not her Sultan, nor any other who could help the lands she’d made her home. Weeks of searching had turned to months and Meg’s options and excuses dwindled, but she dared not return. Had it been cowardice? It certainly felt like it… what could she do to hold back the darkness? She had thought of only grief and death whenever she knew she should turn back. The months had passed, and only by the changing of the seasons could she mark the time and when just over a year had passed the young soldier’s pride and sense of duty had overcome her fear and her shame. Megeara had turned for home without knowing if that home would be there to welcome her.

The land had changed. Where once had soared over a vast rocky space to reach the life-giving oasis of Dragon’s Throat, now she saw only a narrow way beneath her. As she moved farther into Helovia, her fear of the Darkness that had driven her out faded, the light must have prevailed, but a new fear grew, would the herd still dwell in the desert? Who would have survived the wraiths and assuming they had, Megaera feared they would no longer welcome her. She wanted so much to return to the home she had begun to make for herself, but she could not find fault with them if they cast her out, a coward and traitor. Still, she had to try, perhaps in time she could earn back respect, from the heard, and from herself.

It was mid-day when she came to the place where the land bridge widened and she aimed her body towards the ground, touching down in a flurry of feathers. The mare stood facing the oasis to the south, hesitating. What courage I can still claim, don’t fail me now! But Meg was determined and with her wings tucked tight about her to protect from the nip in the air she set out for either happiness or humiliation.

ooc: forgive me the aches and pains of getting back into writing... SO happy to be back!!
Edit: Anyone is welcome! Also tagging @[Gaucho] and/or @[Sohalia] for a yes or no on coming back to the herd :)
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
It's not hard to live like a ghost.
I just haunt all that I wanted, and leave what I don't.</style>

Gaucho had changed. Although his body was still as primitive and sculpted as ever, he burned brighter than he ever had before. Literally. The dreamcatcher was no longer in his antlers - hardened by Midas' gold and left as a beacon to direct his herd into the cave systems, it had been chewed upon (and likely partially digested) by the wraith Ranjiri. However his antlers were not barren: they were marked by golden symbols that pulsed and glowed with a warm light, placed there by the God of the Sun himself. It was not just his antlers that displayed an affinity towards the fiery diety: Gaucho's wings also burned brightly with flames that danced upon his wing tips.

From the sky, the WildFire descended.

He had met the dark mare below before - with Africa - and remembered her easily. She had come to their herd during a tumultuous time, and remembered her bravery during the Wraith Invasion. He was not aware that she had been away - since regaining his memories with the assistance of the God of the Sun, he had been busy with his duties to the herd - not all of whom were known to him. It was because of this fact that he nearly passed her by, thinking that she was simply returning home from a patrol, or just a stroll, rather than returning full stop.

Gaucho's dark hooves touched down upon the sands easily, with an uncanny grace for a creature of his size. "Meg." He called out to her, striding forwards as his large wings tucked easily against his flanks. "You not at herd meeting." He observed, his voice deep but not necessarily stern. Many had missed the meeting, although given the events on the Island, he was not terribly surprised.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

So focused had she been on her motion towards the heart of the oasis, on putting one hoof in front of the other in her measured marching gait, that Megaera took no note of the WildFire’s descent until he called out. Her head began to turn toward the noise before she had registered exactly what had called at her attention and the shock the rifled through her had the mare halting in her tracks. Hard black flints scraped against the dry ground, jolting her body forward with the sudden stop. The shock was plain on her face, wide eyes and expression almost fearful. In coming back, she had hoped to have a home again but had never dared to hope to find those she had known, let alone the one she had left to seek. Far and away she had gone and yet here he was, safe and home in the Throat, though changed. His wings burned, reminiscent of their patron God. “Sultan.” The word was but a whisper as it escaped her mouth. . How could he be here?

When he spoke again she nearly missed his words, but as their meaning seeped slowly passed the rushing in her ears her shock melted into confusion. Not at a herd meeting? He spoke like they had seen each other weeks before instead of months, surely over a year had passed. Her hooves shuffled as she turned her body towards the stallion and her dark head turned back towards the distant west from whence and then back to ham as she tried to marshal her confused thoughts. Doesn’t he know that I had left? But he’s here! and then suddenly the excitement was there as well.

“Gaucho!” She exclaimed, falling forward a few steps, “You’re here! But where were you?! The darkness was spreading and we found the spring in the caves but then we couldn’t find you. The herds were scattered and ther and I went west and I search but there wasn’t any sign of you and I…I…” Her words spilled in a torrent and came suddenly to an end when she reached the point of her would-be confession. Could she say it? She had expected admonitions and anger at her disappearance but to have to actually have to inform her Suntan of the extent of her cowardice? The excitement on her features faded quickly and her own shame was impossible to hide, even as she brought her gaze down toward the ground. The young soldier seemed to shrink, as if she would rather disappear than have to admit she had been too afraid to return.

@[Gaucho]

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::
Ascended Helovian

As Meg mentioned the darkness, the caves, the wraiths, Gaucho felt his ears fall backwards slightly. He remembered grouping together in the caves, trying to make a plan... leaving and looking for? Who? Aurelia? Everything was blurry. When it memories had been restored by the Sun God, it was as if bits were left blemished and dirty. He could see them, but if he focused upon them for too long, any semblance of detail was immediately lost.

Wait. She had gone looking for him?

He listened carefully as her words tumbled out. She had called him her Sultan, but only because she had been gone the entire time he had been too - he had only returned briefly, a season before she had. She didn't know that he had been reinstated as their leader, didn't know that he had been gone nearly as long as she. As she continued to speak, his mind drifted momentarily: was she the only one who went looking for him? Neither Sohalia nor Ampere mentioned that they had gone after him ... and they would be the two with the highest cause to do so. But Meg had. Was she just foolish? Was she dedicated? Was it something else? Her words trailed off, and with them this line of reasoning. But it unsettled Gaucho; he wasn't sure what to think of her actions.

Gaucho drew himself beside her, raising a flame-lined wing above her back and gently placing it upon her withers. The fire made her dark bay coat appear slightly more reddish, as he tried to comfort her. His body stood taller than hers, and he was careful to check to make sure his spiked-collar was retracted so that he would not injure her. In his antlers, Mara hissed softly nodding her pale head understandingly.

"Gaucho was forced to return back to place Gaucho live before Throat ... While there, Gaucho tricked. Someone take Gaucho's memories, that why it take so long to come back. Sun God return memories but ... still foggy." The WildFire shrugged, causing his wing to move gently. "Gaucho only come back last season." He concluded, turning his large skull inwards to look at the mare reassuringly, implicitly affirming that it was alright that she had taken her time coming home too.

Image Credits

With eyes trained on the dusty ground beneath her, Meg felt the gentle press of the Stallion's wing before she fully realized that he had come up beside her. Tentatively, she raised her gaze to his face as he told his own tale and then up the where the great black snake coiled in his antlers. Meg remembered their first meeting; both had frightened her, so fierce and wild they looked, but now Mara's hiss and Gaucho's tall form was reassuring, comforting. It sounded as though he had been gone nearly as long as she, but at least he had the excuse of stolen memories to explain his absence. The Sun God had restored him, and she remembered the flames that had graced all those of Dragon's Throat, even as they lit up Gaucho now, were more of the Patron's blessings. Would that she could be in the God's favor again, and led by His light

Her mind eased at the assurance that she still had a place here, but even with that, she felt that she needed to explain herself. When she spoke again, her voice was stronger. It fell back to her lower pitch as she calmed , but still lacked the confidence that it once had, "The fountain had been found but it seemed that so many had already been infected. And when I couldn't find you or any of the others that had pledged to the W.A.R. The caves had seemed to panicked, leaderless..." It was unsettling to remember how impotent she had felt in the midst of that panic; Meg was a soldier, but she was not yet a leader. "I left. I thought that if I could find you and bring you back, or find anyone to help us in our fight that we could save Helovia." Her head turned back towards the thin strip of land that still connected the Throat, Helovia must have saved itself. It's still here, even if it is a little bruised. "I didn't find anyone. The weeks went on and I knew that I should return, that I should do what I could, with hope or without. I was a coward." Her words turned harsher then, and held bitterness that was so very foreign to her heart. She had let her fear overcome her duty and that shame would be difficult to shake "I was so sure that I would come back to nothing, that I had stayed to long. and I couldn't bring myself to face it."

Only when she reached the end of her speech did it occur to Meg that maybe she had said to much, that in laying her sins bare, his welcome might turn to rejection. She raised eyes again, meeting the stallion's steady gaze. He had mentioned that she had missed a herd meeting, so there was still a heard at Dragon's Throat, but would she still have a place there? "What is the state of the Throat since your return? Is there still a place for me here?"

@[Gaucho]
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
Ascended Helovian

The Wildfire listened quietly, his dark gaze gently falling over her, drifting every now and then but always returning to her eyes. He assumed that her explanation was born out of his - he had offered a tale, and so she felt compelled to do the same. However where his was out of explanation, he felt that hers was out of necessity. She needed to have her story told, to hear her sins out loud and for them to be forgiven. Gaucho hadn't asked, but she had offered anyways. If this is what she needed, he would wait patiently.

As she concluded, the dun nodded his antlered head, his dark gaze appearing understanding and warm. "Fear makes you smart." He began, pulling away from her but only so that he could face her easily. "Meg not a coward. Cowards do not come home. Meg came home - " Extending a flaming wing tip, he gently touched her shoulder reassuringly. "Meg always have a home here as long as Gaucho's Sultan." The Wildfire smiled, retracting his wing and placing it against his flank, however the pull of his dark lips faded quickly.

"Have come home at interesting time ... there have been murders. Darkness has come back. Sun God tell us to be wary ... Gaucho have a plan to protect Throat but ... have few warriors." Sighing, Gaucho looked up towards the Sun. Although the light was not particularly warm, seeing it was reassuring. "Meg be a warrior again?"

Image Credits

”Meg came home.” Such simple words, but they meant so very much to the young soldier. It was the idea of home that had sparked when she had first come to Dragon’s Throat and discovered what is was to have a family that came from choice, so much more dear that the one that had come from blood. In the past year that spark had been smothered by fear, but now, as the stallion reached out a flaming wing, it burned bright inside her heart. A smile spread across her face and her dark eyes blazed with a fierce joy; she might still have dues to pay before her guilt fully eases, but at least she was being given the chance, and that meant the very most. Her head dipped low towards her Sultan in gratitude and respect. “I am blessed to be in Dragon’s Throat again, I only hope I can prove myself worthy.”

She watched the change in Gaucho’s countenance, the fade of his smile, and it had her own demeanor automatically shifting to match. Her posture straightened, earth toned wings releasing from their tight tuck to raise slightly, ready for action; it was a soldier’s stance. Ears and eyes were forward, attentive and alert at the news of a new threat to Dragon’s Throat, or was it an old threat? Gaucho had mentioned murders, but it didn’t sound like the sickness still plagued Helovia. Either way, it seemed to weigh heavy on the Sultan. When his question came, there was no hesitation in her reply. Her low voice came was strong and sure of the answer. “As the Throat will have me, now and always.”

Murder.The thought was unsettling. Meg’s mind jumped to Africa, who had welcomed her, little Alina, who had become as dear sister. The idea that any ham would have come to them, or any of the others, grated at her. “Have any of our own been harmed? Tell me what I can do.”

Tags - @[Gaucho] :: Notes - Sorry for the wait!
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho nodded, already considering the matter to be settled. Once a warrior, always a warrior. The only exception had been Buce, who said that he had had enough fighting ... although it wasn't something Gaucho understood, given that he needed more crafters he didn't argue against the stallion. With Meg however, he was glad to hear that she would take up her old position. It was good to know that his ranks were gradually filling up with those he could count on. Regardless of Meg's self-doubt, she was one Gaucho was happy to rely upon.

As she inquired about the murders and whether any of their own had been harmed, Gaucho sighed as if wounded. His stormy gaze clouded as he looked up towards the sky. "Yes." He began simply, forcing the word out as if it pained him; in fact, it did. That one of his own was the first to die was more problematic than he had let on. What sort of protector was he, if he could only protect his herd against obvious, known threats? Those were clear - any idiot could figure out a way to avoid them (or at least, Gaucho thought they could. Likely he underestimated the type of strategic prowess that everyone possessed), but what of unknown threats? Those were the ones that actually posed a danger, and he had failed in that regard. Vesta had fallen victim to the faceless murderer on the Island, and he had been powerless to stop it, just as he had with the other two.

"Vesta. Was a warrior here before." Lowering his gaze, the sadness was obvious. He had liked Vesta, had brought her home and had sparred with her. She was hardy and witty ... and now she was dead. "Next was a mare from Foothills from long ago, before it was the Falls. Next an old yewwneekorn." He shrugged with regard to the unicorn, still harbouring resentment against their kind due to their previous invasion. "Earth God tell all to find murderer." He offered, as if she should do the same. "Each body have clues. Need to find murderer and stop it."

Image Credits

The question had been asked solemnly, calmly, and perhaps it was because she had met so few of the individuals that lived here, that Megaera had not though what the answer to that question might really mean to her Sultan, or indeed to her. The larger stallion had to force the answer out, and he seemed pained to have to repeat the information. The little warrior felt a little ashamed, if truth be told. She had been afraid for those she had met, but realized that it had not occurred to her to be concerned for those beyond the Throat’s protection.

He listed the dead; one, two and three… Apparently all attributed to a single individual and the victims spanning Helovia’s herds. And further he spoke, relaying the Earth God’s missive and there at last was a call to action, something to be done and Meg seized upon it. She took a step forward, displaying her eagerness for action and she hoped the determination on her features might be reassuring to her lead. “This demon can be found, and will be! I am a fast flyer, Sultan, tell me where these souls have fallen and I will find whatever there is to be found there.”

Still concerned for the one who had given her such comfort, Meg puzzled for a moment on what she could say in this moment to give him confidence… to give herself confidence. “The Sun continues to rise, and so shall we. I do not believe this darkness shall endure.” She reached out her dark head to touch the bottom of the stallion’s muzzle with the top of hers, and pulled back quickly, a blazing look upon her features. “I have faith.” In you was the unspoken end.

Tags - @[Gaucho] :: Notes - Meg's starting some serious hero worship, lol!
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
Ascended Helovian

Meg's eagerness caused the pain that resonated across his features to lessen somewhat. It was true that harm had come to his herd, but the thought of catching the murderer was easier to focus on than were their losses. "First death on the Island..next the forest and then the fields." His tail swayed behind him as he recalled the images and reports. How little was known about the murderer was frustrating. "Found black hairs ... sand, and a piece of a black feather." He said, ruffling his own black feathers against his flanks. It could be almost anyone at this point.

Megs words caused a broad smile to part his black lips. She spoke true, and the Wildfire felt foolish for forgetting. The Sun would always rise, and with it, the Throat would always endure. Their deity had never let them down before and he surely wouldn't now. As her flesh touched his, Gaucho exhaled gently, pressing downwards to accept the gesture.

"A gift from Sun God.." The Wildfire began, pulling back from Meg slightly but only so that he could raise his enormous wings. The fire that burned on his feathers suddenly grew in size, and the pulsing of light from the symbols on his antlers glowed brighter for a moment as well. "Only my best warriors receive this. " He concluded with a wry smile, as the light and flames returned to their original size and brightness.

[Meg has rank magic! She can either have battle-cry, war-stomp, or warriors spirit]

Image Credits

Strange how reassuring a touch could be; a caress to sooth, a nudge to bolster. It wasn't an impulse that Meg had very often, she simply hadn't been raised with and modicum of affection and it rarely occurred to her to show in in a meaningful way. When she thought to reach out it always meant a great deal. To have it returned, as Gaucho had just done, was a sure way of securing Meg's loyalty. That little acknowledgement fanned the spark of love that was nestled in the warrior's heart. It wasn't romantic, Meg didn't seem to be built that way, but the churning tide of loyalty and respect and admiration that had risen with each of their encounters simply surged. In her eyes, everything she had, everything she could be, had been given to her by Gaucho. He was brave and sure and strong, was everything that she wanted to be.

A gift from the Sun God, he said, but as her Sultan stepped back and his flames erupted he was as magnificent as any deity. Meg's eyes were wide and her whole body stood at rapt attention, almost straining forward. She didn't understand what was happening, but she registered Gaucho's smile and heard his words. 'Only my best warriors..." Best! Pride and gratitude filled the places that a short time ago had been only doubt and shame and in the midst of that wave of emotion something.....shifted.

At first she might not have noticed it, and she most certainly didn't understand it. Magic it was a whisper, a gentle pulse, and tingling that started deep within her. Magic was still a mystery to Megaera. Before she had come to Helovia it had merely been the stuff of fanciful tales, nothing that be harnessed or used, if it had existed at all. Since she had crossed the Threshold that first time, Megs's view of the world's wonders had expanded dramatically; she had seen the Gods and the magic that they infused into the land. Magic to harm, to help, to heal, she had seen all and still understood so little. The prospect of having it within her was intimidating. It was exhilarating! Unable to hide her smile, the soldier bent the scarred knees and sank into a bow before her general. "I am honored, Sultan. I do pledge myself, in life and death, to Dragon's Throat and to those who dwell here." She raised herself again, excitement that she couldn't quite contain had her wings rustling and the sun-bleached bone shard in her mane rattled when she tossed her heard. She was a fighter through and through, and now she had truly found something to fight for. Beneath her, the desert was hard and dry and cracked. It was perfect. it was home.

Tags - @[Gaucho] :: Notes - Meg Picks Warrior's Spirit xD
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
Ascended Helovian

[Awhwhhhh Meg <3 I updated it on our page!]

Gaucho tried to keep his lips from twitching into a smile as he watched the excitement and thrill of his words seep into Meg's mind and heart. Although the dun was for the most part serious and simple, the feeling his warrior felt was one that he knew well. Pride. Pride was not always a selfish emotion, and indeed whatever coursed through Meg's veins the Wildfire did not think was necessarily centered around herself. It was a pride that came from knowing you were a part of something bigger, something better, but most importantly, something that you were a fundamental part of. Without Meg the Throat would not be the same, and now that she had returned a hole had been filled - a hole that could not be filled by any other.

As her knees bent and words tumbled from her lips, Gaucho felt like rolling his eyes and nodding - He already knew that she would give her life for their family. He understood why she needed to affirm it though, and he gladly accepted her reassurance. But Gaucho had known it all along of her - the part of his soul that guided his actions in war and in protection of his family recognized the glisten of its duplicate in Meg. He could feel it, as well as see in his minds eye that their bodies would happily crash and collide together in death upon the sands if it meant the safety of the Throat.

The Wildfire grunted as Meg rose, dark eyes falling upon her warmly. His nostrils flared, causing his own bone-ornament to dance slightly, although it did not make any noise when it moved as did the bone in her mane. "Gaucho have to return to patrol. Learn about murders. Train on the sands. We talk soon."

With a lingering kind gaze, Gaucho finally pulled himself away. With a grace that only comes from thousands of departures from the sands, the Sultan's blackened hind legs pushed him into the skies, as his flaming wings spread from his flanks happily to lift him higher.

Image Credits