the Rift

[OPEN] lets see what we can see [patrol]

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   ranjiri</style>
  dreams start their drifting and you hear a lullaby</style>

I cannot say that I'm happy that I've been assigned a patrol so far outside of the Throat, but that is mostly because I do not like to be so far away from Ryuu. I'm also displeased with the fact that he'd also been given an area to patrol. Personally, I feel that he is far too young to be going out on a patrol, let alone the sorry state of his hooves. Then there was the fact that I wasn't sure who he was going to be patrolling with, but I felt that if he had to it have been wiser for them to put him with me. His mother. In the end I could only hope that Cera would keep an eye on him until I got back and not let him go out on his patrol. If Cera was able to keep him then I would be able to go with him or even take his place should he be unable to go.

The morning was actually pretty nice, but it didn't do anything to wash away the frown that was firmly fixed in place on my face as I thought of my son and his patrol. The clouds were sparse, making flight much easier because my view was unobstructed. It was also nice to not have to dodge the clouds or fly through them. You wouldn't think by looking at them, but they are actually quite cold and damp on the inside. As I neared the Veins I began my descent and began to search for anyone that I might recognize from the Dragon's Throat. It's a little ridiculous that I don't even know who I'm patrolling with, but I was far more concerned about Ryuu than myself.

It feels like forever before my hooves touch the ground again, but it happens and I find myself standing alone among the gods' ruined shrines. Try as I might I cannot remember ever having been here. I've never had a reason to pray to the gods, I've never wanted anything from them. But now as I look from one shrine to the other, my gaze stopping on the Earth God's I realize that there is something that I want. I simply want Ryuu to be healthy. I don't want his hooves to plague him anymore. I don't think that now is an appropriate time to be seeking out one of the gods, though, so I sigh and resign myself to waiting for my patrol partner to arrive.

"."

@[Rhoa] and open to anyone else

Credits

aud pixel!

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd

Rhoa

I belong anywhere but inbetween.

She's so fast. Is everyone this fast? I can feel my lungs expanding and collapsing like two small balloons - although I'm fairly certain if I keep going like this they'll explode. But I don't have a choice, do I? If I slow down I'll lose sight of her and then I'll be in a right mess. I don't know where we're patrolling, I only know that the golden hybrid is my partner. I made a point of learning all the names of the entire herd (well, Mother made me, but still), so when I was instructed to patrol with Ranjiri her face immediately came to mind. I didn't even bother to listen and find out what area we were meant to be in - I assumed we'd ... you know, talk about it together. Fly over together (at a slow and reasonable pace). But nooooo. Today I had to sleep in.

I guess I deserve this lung-exploding feeling.

She lands on what appears to be a rocky island, although I'm not even really paying attention. I'm just so glad that she's decided to stop here. My wings flare on the underside like so many hot embers, glowing and glistening as they direct my ashen form towards her. I recall Spice's landing in the Throat and resolve to land much more gracefully than she did, but in all honesty I don't actually have that much practice with landing. Or flying.

"Ran.... jiri..." I call breathlessly, desperately pulling in oxygen as I stumble to a halt. I didn't fall flat on my face during my landing, so I'll count that as a win for now. And given that I made it here, to her, I guess I'm not doing so badly after all.

I fold my glowing wings to my flanks - flanks that are lined with sweat that is beginning to glisten with frost - and look around. My eyes grow wide as they fall upon the dilapidated shrines. I didn't see them in their full glory when this island was cared for by the Gods, but even now they strike me as impressive. What is this forgotten place?

My mind wanders as my sea-green gaze falls upon the shrines, taking note of each dying flower, misplaced rock, and hoof print. Thoughts flow a million miles an hour, completely disregarding the fact that Ranjiri and I have never met, and that likely she doesn't know why I've followed her here. It doesn't even occur to me to introduce myself ... until it does. As my mistake hits me, I turn to her looking rather embarrassed and ashamed. I must seem like some stupid child, and I mentally chastise myself for that. Putting on my most charming and diplomatic smile, I nod to her politely.

"I'm Rhoa. I'm your patrolling partner. Sorry I didn't make the flight with you. I ... was held up."

... that isn't technically a lie. I was held up. By sleep.

TAG: @[Name] | # WC | Notes if needed.

FOXX

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

I took comfort in the calming, blue glow of the island. Little had been stable in my life since I returned from the shadow of my past. I am not sure about much, but the comforting closeness of my father's shrine helped ease my quaking heart. I am confused, torn, indecisive about what happened in my life. On top of that, Midas, who I remembered from my childhood upon seeing his face, might be the murderer I have been instructed to bring to justice.

The haunting, hollow eyes of the dead glare back at me in my memories. The soft, warm eyes of gold as well.
How do I reconcile these two opposing thoughts?
I wish I knew.

The airy sound of feathers on the wind drifts past my conscious thought unnoticed. The arrival of someone new is detected by my nostrils yet ignored. My mind, a swimming pool of emotions and violent images, cannot hold much more information. Though, I cannot completely ignore my surroundings. Soon after the agile landing of Ranjiri which cannot penetrate my concentration, the clattering sound similar to a bag of silverware colliding with a marble counter top shakes me to attention.

My ears curve upward, my dual toned eyes fluttering over in the direction of an uncoordinated, puffy breathing pegasus. More important than his clumsy disposition, the name which heaves from his struggling lungs. Ranjiri. My sister.

Solid bronze hooves start to move before I am even consciously aware, the decision to meet a friendly face in these dark hours overcoming my zombie like trance of a few moments before. My hopeful, open face turning toward the glint of gold against ebony. Quietly, I walk toward the pair. I remember Ranjiri, out of the cloud of darkness surrounding my memory, but she is much taller, grown, compared to the small figure of the filly I knew.

Her crimson eyes, though, remind me of another distant memory.

"Nuna," drops from my lips, looking toward her with expectant eyes.
I hope she had not forgotten about me.

Hototo</style>
there will come soft rains.                 </style>

image credits

ranjiri</style>

It seemed as if I was in for several surprises, the first of all being the child that I was supposed to patrol the Veins with. I turned when I heard him speak my name, my ears tilting forward as his small body stumbled to a stop. I could not help the tilt of my head as I looked at him. He couldn't have been any more than a few months old, just old enough to leave his mother's side. I found it strange that such young colts like him and Ryuu were being set to patrol so far away from our home. It didn't seem right and, again, I wondered if the one who set the patrols up had any experience with children, or any care that they could not defend themselves if attacked.

"Are you here to patrol?" I decided to ask, just in case I was assuming wrong and I was needed for something. I don't know what I could possibly be needed for, I was frequently overlooked in the Throat and that was perfectly fine by me. It gave me more time to spend with Cera and Ryuu. A soft sigh passed my lips when the colt, Rhoa, confirmed that he was my patrol partner. Again, I wondered why, but I held my questions and concerns to myself. I would ask Cera if he held the same concerns I did or if I was being over sensitive and protective.

"Nice to meet you, Rhoa." I smiled and extended my neck to bump my muzzle against his should he allow it. "Why don't you catch your breath? After that we can walk the path down." I nodded toward what looked like a path to me.

"I..." My voice trails when I hear Nuna and my head jerks in the direction that it came from and I stare, unblinking, at Hototo, my brother, a stallion that I haven't seen in what feels like years "...Ani?"

"."

@[Rhoa] @[Hototo]

Credits

aud pixel!

Odd

Rhoa

I didn't notice before, well I mean that isn't true of course I did I just ... her markings. The one that runs up her shoulder is unlike anything I've ever seen. And the barring on her legs...it's like Father's but..something about the gold seems unnatural and magical. Her eyes sort of scare me though, so dark and red. Father's are dark like that but the blue doesn't make me feel cold and weak inside the way hers do. She seems nice, in fact I'm fairly certain that she's actually very nice, at least from what I've seen at home but, those eyes.

I gulp, trying not to appear as young as I obviously am, nodding in response to her question. "Yes. It's my first one actually -" Ah! Idiot! Don't say that! She'll think i'm a baby! "I mean..you know. I still know what I'm doing.. " Ugh. That was not how I wanted that to come out. Shuffling my hooves I look down the path she suggests and nod. Am I really that out of breath? As the thought tumbles through my mind I become acutely aware of my heart racing, and the sound of my exhaling and inhaling. I sound like I'm dying! What's the matter with me?! I try to slow my breathing which of course only makes things worse, causing my lips to fly open as I gulp for air. Fine. I guess I'll just look like a drowning fish while I catch my breath, shall I?

Suddenly Ranjiri's attention is diverted. I didn't even hear Hototo or the word he spoke, being far too concerned with my breathing. As my gaze falls upon the stallion I inadvertently retreat a step. He..he...I can't explain it. He's so weird looking. And I don't mean that in a bad way just .. he has the same gold on his legs, but his body is blue. And not just with markings, he seems genuinely blue. For the first time I notice that both have wings and horn, but like real horns, not like the ones Father has. I thought only the God's could have both? Ugh. I have so much to learn.

The two seem to know each other, so I just keep quiet, my eyes falling over the newcomer. He's wayyy bigger than I am, and not for the first time I'm reminded of the hooves I have to fill when I grow up. Why does everyone have to be so big? And so cool looking? The embers that burn under my wings flare as emotion washes over me. I take a breath, a normal one now, mentally hearing mother in my head chastising me for my manners. I know I should say something but .. for some reason I don't want to. I just want to backup. To pretend to be doing something, to have Ranjiri tell him SORRY but we GOTTA GO, and then be on our way. I'm not normally this shy but ... I dunno. Today's a weird day.

"Hi." I mumble, my gaze darting upwards to Hototo's face and then back down. I know I should say more but... nope.

Nopenopenopenopenopenope.

FOXX

ranjiri</style>

His first patrol? It made sense, considering how young you looked and it only served to confuse me more and make my frustration with the situation grow. What would I do if anything happened to us? I could try to fight, but I don't have any experience with it. I supposed the only thing I could do, in the event that we did get attacked, was be a distraction so that you could get away and then hope that you would make it to the Throat to get help. I realize that I was probably getting ahead of myself, but isn't it better to be prepared than unprepared?

All that is forgotten, though, when my brother comes into the picture. I can remember when he left me and Momma in the Foothills. At least that's what it was called when I lived there. I can remember begging him not to leave even though I knew he had to because he was, no he is important. Being the Earth God's son he had a lot of important god-like things to do, but he never visited like he promised. I had grown up, barely remembered what he looked like sometimes, and then there he was.

There he went....

My wings snapped out from my sides and began to trot forward, prepared to give chase but I remembered you and that made me stop short of taking to the air. You had become my responsibility the minute you set hoof down at the veins and said that you would be my patrol partner. I needed to take care of you and that's what I would do even if my soul was screaming for me to chase my brother down. I frowned and slowly folded my wings back against my sides, defeated. I would see my brother again, wouldn't I? Then we could catch up. I would just have to believe it.

"Caught your breath?" I ask as I turn to face you, putting on a smile that I sincerely doubt reflected in my eyes. I just needed to put on a happy face for now, then when I got back to the Throat I could find Cera and tell him what had just happened.

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!

Odd

Rhoa

No sooner had the words left my lips but he's gone. In a grand sweeping motion the earthen-toned creature is up and into the air. I won't lie, I'm fairly relieved if a little confused. I mean, was it something I said? Or perhaps the lack of it? I know I should have said more I just .. I couldn't. But was it really so rude as to send him away?

I watch as Ranjiri moves forwards as if to follow him into the skies. They seemed to know each other .. they both have horns and wings but they don't look much alike apart from that. I mean, I'm not entirely sure how genetics work yet but ... That isn't important. What is important is that it seems like she's going to leave me here. That's a-okay with me right now. I'd just .. you know, head back to the Throat. Forget all of this; my first patrol, an utter fail. But she doesn't leave. Something halts her step. What could it be? Is he coming back? Did she see something? I perk my ears forward before it suddenly occurs to me.

I'm the thing that stopped her.

Me. Rhoa.

She turns, a smile plastered onto her features but her eyes are distracted. I don't understand! If he was someone important why would he just leave? I mean. If I wasn't supposed to be here couldn't she just tell me to go ? I would have! I don't want this to be my fault!
She asks if I've caught my breath, and I just nod.

"I'm sorry if I made him go. I wasn't trying to be rude-" I begin, trying to apologize for whatever it was that just happened but failing to find the words. How do I apologize when I don't know what just happened?

I don't want to keep being such a mess, such a mistake. But I don't understand enough of the world to be able to avoid it yet apparently.

FOXX

ranjiri</style>

I could see the worry on your face and it upset me, but not half as much as Hototo running away from me had. "Its okay." I say when you apologize. "It wasn't anything you said." I was confident of that much, but I was still completely baffled as to why he would fly away. The little girl in my heart wanted to curl up in a ball and cry until she didn't have any tears left. I couldn't do that. Not while I had you with me. Crying would have to wait until I got back to the Throat and I was alone.

"You weren't rude." I assured you once more. "I'm sure he had something else on his mind. Maybe he was surprised to find us there? It had been a long time since the last time we had seen each other." As I spoke I was searching for answers, myself. Then it occured to me that you probably hadn't the faintest idea of who he was. "His name is Hototo." I explained. "He's my half brother... the Earth God's son."

There wasn't much else for me to say after that and I was more and more ready to leave the Veins behind. So I reached out to nudge your shoulder then tilted my head toward the path that led down. "Ready?"

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!