the Rift

[PRIVATE] These bright lights have always blinded me

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The clouds formed around his heavyset, feathered feet, as well as his mate's. Together, the pair was lifted into the sky. Archibald was no stranger to this, he had been on the island many times since it appeared in the sky. He did not know, however, if his mare had been to the island at all. He lifted a brow, subtly, and looked towards her bright, expressive face with curiously lit golden eyes. Carefully, he pressed his muzzle to her cheek and planted a kiss. It was soft and warm, a comfort to her, should she need it, and a reminder to his own self of how much he needed her.

Stepping onto the island, Archibald curled his neck to look at Circe. "Come, this way." He motioned well with his massive head, turning his shoulders as he began to walk away from the tall structures of the herd tents. He wanted to go somewhere private, away from the comradery that stimulated the main part of the island. They needed to talk, they needed to be together. It had been so many months since the two had any sort of intimate moment. Their time together had mostly been about teaching their sons, protecting them, or other actions related in some way that focused on the twins. It was time now for them to rekindle their relationship as lovers, as soulmates, as the perfect halves to make a perfect whole.

The Dauntless stopped in a small clearing, surrounded by a cluster of sakura trees. It seemed as if time did not exist here, nor seasons, for the blossoms were whole and fragrant above their heads. "This is the Caela Insula. The Sky Island. The gods are here, and peace is abundant." Archibald stopped and turned to face Circe, his eyes warm and kind. He had missed her oh, so much. He wanted to tell her of the World's Edge, of the home he had found there. He wanted to tell her of the remnants of the Grey, of their family, that resided there with him. But there would be more time for that, later.

The massive beast stepped forward in an attempt to close the distance between him and Circe. Reaching out with a roman head, the kingly stallion lowered his muzzle to groom at her chest. A low, rumbling sound rumbled from his gut, his eyes falling half to display his immense comfort and trust he shared with this mare. She was his, and he was hers.

I see you lying next to me
With words I thought I'd never speak
Awake and unafraid, asleep or dead
Image credits

@[Circe]

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.
any moment soon you'll be so unhappy
because you will finally know that
you were born to make me fight
--------------
The gift he was giving her was a marvelous one. Clouds swooped beneath her hooves, lifting her into the sky, to nirvana or Valhalla or gods knew where—but it was his lips against the roughness of her cheek that took the air from her lungs. She couldn’t understand it—this tender forgiveness that he offered unjealously, kindly meant. It baffled her that there remained some shred of affection for his failed Executioner—his lax and deplorable lady, the mother of children allowed to wander away, lost in oblivion for all she knew. The sky floated around the shadowmere, wondrous and grand; she stepped from the insubstance of cloudwork onto a solid spire of rock, floating amongst the heavens, and her Dauntless lead her to a place swathed with fragrant petals.

It was too gorgeous for Circe to bear. Amongst all these fine things of purity—especially the gentle love Archibald insisted on offering—she felt even lower than before, a mongrel, her fluttering heart fragile in its hope and façade of courage. She leaned into his shade as he groomed her; she closed her eyes and sighed, allowing herself to bask in his touch for some moments, before lifting her lips to his broad chest and reciprocating the gesture. The wind around her smelled sweet, and blew like a kiss against her neck; the confusion that rattled the shadowmere was tempered somewhat by it, her nerves calmed, her wits slightly less rattled than before.

His shadow was patient, silent; it did nothing to force her thoughts into words that she dreaded, merely coaxing her form her shell, constructing bridges stone by stone, brick by brick, that crossed the chasm surrounding her heart. She took a breath, the wind fluttering down her throat; she sighed it out, then took another, then another, before she could finally find some shred of courage to begin asking questions that frightened her with their implications. “Tell me....about our boys,” she murmured against him, as her teeth and lips continued to work against his hide. He had assuaged her need to hear of their safety; it was all she knew about the boys she had borne in a bloodied day of sunlit rain. “Abraham..? Reginald..? What…” she paused for a second, “You say Abraham has a dragon…?" It was a disgusting thing to slip passed her lips—this thing that indicated her ignorance to the whereabouts of her offspring, the disconnection so profound that left her children total strangers to her side. She could have melted from the shame of it; she could feel shards of her soul sparking out of control, threatening to burst, to scatter from her skin and hair in fright and sickened shame.

Archibald’s shadow was there, however; it was deep, and patient, silent. It bound her to earth, and soothed her into something mortal, and real. “How…have you been faring, Archibald?”

@[Archibald]
speaking

sxc.hu

The massive beast continued to groom his mate, his lids falling half closed as a content humming noise lifted from his deep baritones. His tail waved lazily behind him, warding off the flies that trickled around the cherry blossom trees that surrounded the pair of lovers. Her presence soothed him to his very core, brought his war-hardened mind back to the gentleness it took to love her and stabilize her as well as himself. Every ounce of him was relaxed and content with her at his side once more. His molten eyes took in the curves and the sharp corners of her frame, missing the way her velveteen pelt felt against his. He worked his muzzle down her withers and back, across her ribs, counting each one with a kiss of his pale lips. Every inch of her the Dauntless had committed to memory, and touching her again was better than any drug or high this world had to offer--even battle. She was his all, his reason for feeling love. Together they had brought strong sons into the world after the trauma of losing their beautiful daughter, and together they would face the world head on again.

"The boys are well. Strong. Like us. We have done well, and now they discover the world and fight on their own behalf." Archibald's voice was a husky whisper, meant just for his Shadowmere to hear in this moment. His own ears flicked at her inquiry. How had he been faring? A small smirk lit his features as he remembered their reunion in the north, after his season of scouting. A deep, rumbling chuckle left his pale lips. "I have found a place in the World's Edge, led by Kahlua and Kaj. It is peaceful there, but I am building up strong warriors. Ktulu and Lakota are there, as well. Some other remnants of our past lay within those borders and among the ranks, but there is no ill-will harbored for past sins. Since the darkness covered the lands, the world is new." Archibald wondered if his mare had traveled to what once was their home, the Foothills, to see that had become of the land of mountains and waterfalls in the wake of the darkness.

Archibald rested his massive head on Circe's rump, watching her out of the corner of his half-lidded eyes. "The past matters not, the future is ours. We are together, again." Archibald closed his eyes and nestled his chin into her finely muscled croup, the small, deep hum still rumbling in his throat.

Image credits

@[Circe]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
--------------
It was difficult for her thoughts to gather themselves; Archibald, no matter how awesome his strength, had always been skillful with his touch. Her already-unsteady contemplations began to wander from their tracks, floating into star-shattered territory that gleamed in the edges of her mind; the perfume of the island surrounded and intoxicated, and his lips were sweet against her. She left off with her own grooming of his form, consumed by his ministrations; she sighed into him, her head resting against his own withers, her eyelids fluttering as she struggled to respond to his words, his comforts. Unbending herself; finding some way to allow herself this bliss.

She snorted, softly, as she thought of her boys--those bastards of hers, born in blood and blazing, numbing pain. How proud she was of them; how happy their existence had made her. Utterly, shatteringly happy. “The world has no clue,” she whispered against the blackness of his hide. She was no fool about her sons--evil little things they were, sparked with a hellfire she had often seen when they looked into her eyes. Reginald—gripped by rage. Abraham—consumed by glory. Her heart warmed as she thought of the dragon Gwyn; how proud she was of Abraham to follow in the footsteps of his father, the path of the bonded.

The World’s Edge—Circe remembered that place. A place of war, where she had spirited away a family, a woman and her children, who would end up being lost to darkness anyway. She almost couldn’t believe her Archibald when he described the tranquility of such a strange, magic-strewn place. She couldn’t imagine them accepting the General who had fought so hard for their destruction with open arms. She snorted—a chuckle escaped her lips, painful and awkward, releasing the tension in her throat. “I had wanted…” she began, husky and throaty; pensive, “I had wanted so badly to follow you into that battle…” She shook her head; her eyes were infuriatingly wet at the memory. “I was so angry. With you, with Ktulu….I had wanted to fight at your side, my General.” The chuckle came harder then. My General. How things have changed….” Phaedra’s words echoed in her mind, those sparkling taunts; Circe’s eyes spilled some. She did not know of Phaedra’s death.

He spoke of the future, and it was as though the chill wind of blight cut through the warmth of this perfect place. She shuddered—pushed herself away from him somewhat, looking towards his eyes. “The future…” she said, her voice dropping, hitching in her throat, “What future should I dare to hope for?” The tears ran unchecked down her face, rain in the paradise. “I was your soldier once, my General. I was the mother of your children, our darling Callisto, our powerful Reginald and Abraham. I used to be strong once, and brave. Look at me,” she said desperately, breathlessly, “I cry now, at the very memory of my former self. What future could we ever have together? What future could you ever want with this?

Her voice finally broke; she was very close to the thing she had been threatening to do. To shatter herself apart. “I am not the mare you fell in love with,” she shook, and hotter tears replaced the last, falling far more urgently than before, “I do not know where she is.”

[Laura Mvula is forever Circe muse <3]
@[Archibald]
speaking

sxc.hu

The Dauntless listened to his love, eyes resting behind inky veils. With his chin nestled into her rump he could feel the vibrations of her speech, but his head lifted when she moved away from him. Molten gold eyes were subject to the light once more as they focused in on her, open, with brows furrowed in concern and confusion. Raw emotion seeped from her body, unbridled and uninhibited. It had always been something Archibald admired about the mare. She had such passion inside of her, and each emotion that ran through her mind she felt deeply in her breast. Archibald could feel very few things in this same manner, but Circe felt all things. She was an ocean and Archibald was a puddle. How she had ever imagined to step into matrimony and love with a creature such as himself, with the emotional range of a single tear, he would never know. It bewildered him. Archibald was a beast, a monster fueled by duty and war. He was a machine of destruction, a dealer of simple deeds, bringer of death. Circe was a goddess, a warrior queen with the heart of a thousand armies.

The tears streamed from her eyes, then, testaments of her emotion. Her sadness, regret, worry, fear--it all poured into Archibald's mind, covering him in her grasp. The true mask of worry shifted onto his blazen face, golden eyes searching deep in her ocean blues. His massive, hulking, behemoth frame stepped forward to swallow her up in his shadow, in his embrace. With the practiced skill Archibald maneuvered around her horn enough to wrap his scarred neck around her, press his face into her body. The only tears Archibald had ever shed fell to the ground at his daughter's grave, but now he even felt a lump of coal forming in the back of his throat. Swallowing it down hard to let it die and dissolve in the acid of his stomach, the Captain took a step back from his hug, lips moving to dry the tears on his Shadowmere's dark face, with whispers of grey shining through the blue and black.

"The mare I fell in love with--the mare I love--is here. Before me, standing with the strength and dignity of a woman who has seen enough heartache and betrayal for a thousand men, and she has survived. The mare I love is passionate, and stubborn, and will do anything for those she holds most dear--I see her clearly." He wiped another tear away with his pale lips. "The future this mare holds is alongside the stallion she knows. Circe, my dearest Circe, you once fell in love with a guise of a strong General, and when you learned of my history, full of sickness and death, you stood strong at my side. For any less to happen now, in my charge, would be a trial of hypocrisy fit for punishment in death alone. I love you, and no matter the history that has unravelled in this mystical land of Helovia, between the two of us together or apart, our future is together."

The Dauntless lifted his proud head, shoulders squaring and his chest lifting with the fire he felt in his belly. "We are slaves to no one, we write our future ourselves. Our daughter, our sons, they are part of us forever, but are also their own--in life and in death." Archibald's body swelled, sides blowing up with his deep breathing. "Let us write the future, together. With strength and passion and determination, Circe, let us create a deeper legacy."

Archibald had never thought of creating another child with his wife before this moment, and he had also never wanted it more than now. The world was right, they were together, and they would never be apart again. Ever.

Image credits

@[Circe]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Deceased
M.E.
--------------
The tears were warm against her cheeks, welling as they were from the deep pools of blue-gray. His words were meant to soothe her, to comfort the shadowmere who grieved for whatever part of herself she had lost to darkness and pain. And perhaps he was successful, for Circe remembered the wrenching pain the fireflies had brought to her; how they had, little by little, chipped away the solid glass wall between her and her agony over her darling Callisto, until the torrent had gushed forth and she was consumed by the mighty waves of it, submerged and drowned, until the waters of misery leveled and the shadowmere was able to, at last, find some sort of semblance of equilibrium.

Such was the pain Circe felt at that moment, as Archibald’s warm, passionate words fell upon her shoulders, lightly and gentle, as a firefly might land upon her wither. There was no stopping the warmth that rushed from her eyes; she leaned into his neck again, that shadow where she drew the most strength from him. Her tears were quiet; she merely shook against him, allowing his words to wash over her, knowing it would be obstinate to argue against them. She knew her desire lay in the hidden wish for her own punishment—how could she deserve the affection of this stallion, one such as Archibald? How could she justify this love? The implication—the idea—the hope of his seed, the blessing of child in her womb, new life to be had?

Ktulu, her Dark Lady of the broken Foothills, that land laid to rubble—Circe remembered her words: We have hearts. Where would we be if we didn't?There was a time, at every cross-road, where one had to acknowledge their heart, the failings of their humanity—the promise of their rejuvenation. It was a lesson Circe found herself face-to-face with multiple times—and still she found it painful to learn, damn-near impossible to allow penetrating her skull. As her tears began to slacken, her chest rumbled deep within, a rolling chuckle as she contemplated her fate. Laughing at herself, at the dullness in her chest, the steady throb of pain and a weakness she could not place. It was a broken record, this pain. She had seen this before, and it was time to forgive something about herself.

“You would have me again, Archibald?” she murmured against the black sinews of his neck; she seemed to lose herself underneath his mane, the shadow of strength he lent her. She looked at him, her eyes puffy and red around her irises, the last vestiges of tears still clinging to her lashes like dew. Her voice did not waver—had not wavered all this time. She considered him for a moment, the terrible, glorious ramifications of his offer hanging still in the air, looming over hear heart, her head. Her gaze spun slightly, and she found that she was holding her breath.

“….Fine, then,” She acquiesced; her voice disappeared to gravel.

--fade--

speaking

sxc.hu