the Rift

Breathing In Stars and Wishing on Fireflies

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

Rei watched as her breath rose into the nighttime air above her, rising higher than what even her wings could carry her. Back in Lytninia there was a legend about the stars being the pinpoints where your breath rose to mingle with that of those who would play vital roles in your life. The breath mingling would create such a reaction that it would give off light able to be seen from any distance. It was said that if you could pinpoint what star your breath made its way towards you could use it as the guiding North Star for your fate.

A layer of ice protested Rei's bearing her weight upon it. Silently she thanked the gods for her thick winter coat. This year it had grown unusually thick to the extent of many of her spots looked as if they had been joined together. Rei's winter coat made her appear to be a living breathing, although quite messy, 'connect the dots' game.

Rei had left Helovia for a brief time. The land had broken her heart. It had let her down. Helovia had bared its teeth at the mare and shown its wicked side. The brutal attack on the stallion, and the murder on her island of all places. For the first time the mare had seen glimpses of Lytninia in Helovia and it had scared her senseless. Her speckled hide shivered with the memories that had haunted her in her nightmares. She certainly hadn't meant to come back.

Once again Rei looked to the sky with scrutiny. She had been so wrapped up in her thoughts involving it that she had unwittingly wandered back to where she had purposely left. Frustrated she heaved a sigh. So much for progress.

Here she was once again.

Too hastily she turned to face away from Helovia leading to mortified mare standing splay legged on slippery ground. It was then that it caught her eye. Her breathe was mingling in one area before her. Where it hung in the air there was a light that would fade in and out, in and then back out. It was a firefly.

In correlation to her earlier thoughts the sign couldn't be more obvious. Although she could only be being superstitious. Or maybe 'signs' are only created by those who wish to see them. But Rei trotted in the direction of the firefly, in the direction of Helovia's Threshold, with no hesitation.

"I am going to be here for a long time. If I ever do decide to leave Helovia it will be only if I can leave it a changed place."

Credits: Thank you Shady and Tamme!
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I’ve always thought stars were cold, selfish looking things. They cared nothing for the mortals who suffered beneath their icy, lofty stare – their light is a bittersweet glow no matter how lovely it was to look upon. Tonight I’m out for a walk in the threshold, beneath the diamond soaked sky; and though I try to move quietly, it would seem that every frost covered stick and stone was placed in my path to hinder such movement.

Everything glowed either a dark silver or bore edgy shadows that almost looked sharp enough to break skin. Aside from appearance everything was silent, sleeping. This was Helovia in Frostfall. There was no spot untouched by winter. Fina chirped pressingly from my rear, her flaming feathers aglow and eyes wide, bright. She was hungry and so was Neve; who had taken up what I was figuring a semi-permanent residence next to my nape. Both companions chortled, prying for my attention. Neve stretched out her little snow colored neck and gently tugged a lock of mane, I smiled tenderly and glanced back, “Aye, go hunt dear one. The night seems safe enough. Fina will aid thee.”

The ice princess turned to look at her sister with that innocent childlike fixation, Fina gazed back silently and smiled as only an raptor bird can. She spread her flaming wings, beating them hotly and shimmering the air around us. Neve followed suit, after a moment both birds took to the air. I paused, watching until they were out of sight, then continued down the path. My own feathers tightened, vainly holding in the warmth that had gathered against my hot barrel.

Ahead was an individual, her dotted pelt reminded me of a certain ice favoring unicorn that I'd not laid eyes upon in over two seasons. What ever became of him? I wondered.

This lady is familiar to me as a Throat citizen – I’d seen her at the race on sky island. “Hail, friend.” It would be rude to simply pass by without as much as a word of greeting. I might no longer be her Sultan, but we were still allies and in my mind family.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

"We have met before," Rei felt warmed by the sight of a familiar face. New faces were thrilling of course but a meeting a familiar face again was like coming home. And I have just come home. How suiting! Happily Rei chirped in an almost birdlike sound that only pegasi seemed to be capable of. "Your name is..Oh.. don't tell me!" With her head cocked Rei's brown eyes studied the stallion trying to put his face to a name. Sheepishly her ears splayed, she had bumped into him several times throughout her time in Helovia. Not remembering his name was frustrating.

"Okay. Forgetting what I said earlier; what is your name? She could feel her face warming due to having to ask. The warmth was not unwelcome though, there was certainly a cool bite in the air. "Embarrassing as it is to have blanked on your name I cannot help but to be thankful. The resulting blush was warming. Maybe I will take to waltzing across Helovia causing myself embarrassment in order to keep warm! Rei laughed brightly at the thought.

The pair spoke for a while before drifting into quiet companionship. Something about the cold winter months made everyone feel warmer towards each other.

She broke the comfortable silence with a question that had been weighing on her heavily since bumping into the stallion.

"Do you know of any of the events that have happened?" Events. Such an harmless word to be used to describe such wicked things. "I mean," she did not want to say the actual words, "I mean relating to the tragedy on the Caela Insula."

Magic usage is okay.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Throat's daughter seemed to remember who I was, (or at least recognized my features as familiar enough to warrant remembering.) An amused, good natured smile slipped across my face when the dotted girl tried to mull over forgotten titles and details that might give my face a proper label. Eventually, her pondering is for naught but amusement and the lass is forced to ask instead, “Midas,” I replied softly, warmly. A rich chuckle climbed from chest into the frosty air at her statement of dancing across the forest to keep warm, “Ye looks like one to dance rather well,” I teased, but the statement was honest.

Would this lady notice there was fresh light coming to life in my eyes, chasing the shadows from stressful lines, “I’d share such a moment with thee, but ye would find that I’m less gifted in that talent,” grin widened. Dancing with a stranger/friend actually had an appealing ring. “What name does thee take?” This Throat mare had no reason to be embarrassed by forgetting my name; certainly not when I’d never bothered to recall her name before now.

Our conversation took a rapid turn, pressing into the recent ongoing of Helovia gossip and our sky island. 'Seems news traveled like a forest fire out of control,' I thought grimly.

“Yar,” I murmured softly, “I know little of this, ye is likely to know more.” There hadn’t been much in the form of signs or clues back on that island. No tracks or scents aside from decay and rot. Neither of which would aid in solving anything. “Our murderer is still at large and none seem eager to claim responsibility. Certainly not with gods involved.” Only a fool would reveal himself/or herself to a wrathful lord.

Rei
― Michael Jackson

"Don't know until you try. And it does take two to tango as you know! Rei grinned at the stallion and playfully bumped him with her muzzle. He seemed to be a friendly soul and she felt comfortable in his company.

"I am Rei!" Announcing her name with pride the mare stood a little taller. She took pride in it and the images it brought to mind. Her namesake was the sun's rays that brought warmth and life.

"Coward. Whoever did it will have to face justice though," Rei's brow furrowed with her lack of doubt towards her statement. "Even if I personally have to drag the brute to the hooves of the gods." She did not mention the fact that she was just coming back into Helovia and that she knew little of the events. Rei was ashamed for fleeing from her new home whenever things had gotten bad. The inhabitants of Helovia were her family now. It was her duty to do anything she could to protect it from its darker side.

Another bubble of laughter sprang from her lips, "I would just have to step out of the way quickly to avoid the risk of the Sun God unintentionally shooting the messenger also!" Rei's eyes glinted at the memories from the time she had met the God. His temperament was as fiery as his appearance and her adoration for him was evident in her voice.

Magic usage is okay.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Rei like many others, was rather passionate about finding helovia's killer. In fact she boldly stated a desire to drag our mystery murderer in heavenly judgment herself. I could relate to her plea for justice, though I politely remained silent. It was seriously doubtful that our little rouge was someone who could be caught, or else the gods would have already done so. Nar, he/she was likely anything but flesh and blood. For all we knew he or she might be extremely dangerous and not of this world. After all, hadn't the gods said that particular death was unnatural.

Her jest about the sun teased a small smile to my lips, "Aye, he has a brazen personality," throats patron god was certainly true to his ancestral source, "I'd give ye words of caution though," brows narrow, "I fear this isn't an ordinary creature, be wary of whom ye holds company with. Should ye desire to seek it."

Raining frogs, flesh eating worms, living carnivorous moss. It couldn't all be random, could it? Surely they were somehow connected. I'd hate to see yet another of us fall to these strange times. "Helovia is sick, and I fear that our gods don't yet know the cure." Honeyed pools wander off, staring toward the trees, "Darkness, infected beasts that take our form, we were chased from our homes to hide like rats in their tunnels...what more will we be plagued with?" My features are sober, lacking previous warmth.

Rei
― Michael Jackson

A smile lit the mare's face as he spoke of the Sun God.

I wouldn't dream of following the other gods. Not that I have met all of the other ones, but I have been told that I have a sunny disposition and could I have asked for a more appropriate match? A chuckle slipped past her lips at her own pun. It was a shame that it had only been a thought. Why hadn't she said that one out loud? Eyeballing Midas she considered slipping it in somehow. What is the point in such a great line if only I get to laugh at it? Despite her thoughts Rei adored The God of the Sun because she saw some of what she wanted to be in him. She liked to think of herself as being tough but that could be chalked up to a whole lot of thinking.

Rei shivered at his words. Instinctively she wanted to shrink away, but instead she brought an image of the God of the Sun to mind and pulled strength from it.

"The Gods will find a way!" Rei thought of her fiery god and knew that if no one else could get results he could. "I suppose that we will just have to stay alert and keep faith in their abilities." Not that she wanted to sit back and do nothing, "And we will help them in every way that we can."

Her head went up into the clouds with grand imaginings. She could be part of the heroic tales that got passed down generations! All too soon guilt brought her sinking back down to firm ground as she realized that she was fantasizing about events that had brought death upon Helovia.

Seeing the warmth fade from Midas' expression left Rei feeling cold. In her bones she felt that the land was careening towards a state of turmoil and it scared her. Although she dreamed of being a hero, a brave protector of Helovia, there was a cruel whispering doubt that questioned her abilities. Tossing her head as if freeing herself from the terrible thing Rei remembered the lessons her father had taught her about what made a true hero. During her time in Helovia the freckled pegasus had met many that could be classified as heroes. If they were capable then she could be also.

"We should be worried with what may come. I do not doubt that." Rei pulled herself up to her full height, "But this is Helovia. Any 'plague' that comes to our lands should be more concerned with what it will come to face."

Magic usage is okay.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

There are no hero's in Helovia. There were only those who died, their names fading from memory after the generation had passed, and those who were yet to die. Even as we all passionately scrapped and cawed at the door of immortally, the eternal end was a blanket we couldn't avoid. All must pass through the black tunnel of death. Pass the all seeing eye.

She is quick to boast a defense for our home, saying that tis the darkness who should be concerned, nar, I disagree. What does a beast of carnage fear? Perhaps the sickness is our own doing, the price for our magic. It might also be the reflection of our selfish souls; which would explain why we can't overcome it. Mortals are nothing but fleshy prey to whatever evil haunts this land. Nar, we aren't powerful enough to even cure our own madness; we are pale, overshadowed by our foolish naivety. Bold aye, courageous a times, but no stronger than a suckling still attached to his ma's tit.

"At what cost," I whisper, shaking my head, "We fight, but at what cost does victory come? Have not the gods seen use bolstered?" Crown sways, "Without them we'd be lost." How many have died in a fight against whatever bleakness infects this land? Yar, great ones have mercy on us, our pride makes most blind to truth. It is the patrons of our world that ensure our offspring will carry on, but to what world will we leave them?