the Rift

Not So Long A Winter

Cetan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

“Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.”

Death was everywhere. It wasn't dramatic, nor did it's presence reveal itself to one who wasn't looking. But it was there. Cetan could see it in every patch of snow his hooves passed over, snow that choked the life from plants and thus the animals that fed on the grasses and green life too were being starved to death. Cetan knew this all too well; the Long Winter had left it's mark on both his scarred hide and his mind. He remebered the daily hunt for food, the crippling hunger, the numbness of the cold that whispered a gentle death if he just but sank into the snow and slept.

But this winter he was prepared. His body shielded by a thick winter coat and a healthy layer of fat, he would survive. The stallion passed through the sleeping bodies of the trees, bright blue eyes flickering around. He had not seen another soul in many weeks, and was beginning to wonder if this forest had no end and no one alive within it. When he looked to the side, his primary horn was snared by branches, and the young stallion shied with a shrill whinny, bolting before he realized it was just a tree. So he stopped, allowing his fear-ridden heart to slow before he continued on in the icy forest, ears flicking, listening to the crunch of cloven hooves on snow, a lonely sound he was sadly used to by now."Hello?" He called out, ears pinning flat against his skull. He called out of desperation; this new place had to have other life. His breath frosting in the air, the black dapple waoted for a response.

Word Count:279 Tags:Open

Please tag Cetan in all posts.
Any force is allowed against Cetan short of killing him.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor

Early morning sunlight wafted over the sleepy land in pale shades of yellow and orange. Soft pinks tried to fight their way toward the ground but with little success. I had risen with the sun hoping to kiss the moon goodnight but my tired eyes could not force their way through the darkness in order to see and so sleep had claimed me for hours more. My body still ached and though I still feared the loss of my wings, a certain reality became more and more apparent as the days passed. They had rotted and fallen limp along my sides. The skin, though still intact had begun to decay and shift away from the bone. It was an unsightly thing to witness, but on a good day, the wind would carry away the scent of sickly flesh. Even my bloated stomach told of eerie tales sang by the devil’s children as I rocked along the frozen ground above their reaching hands… Hell had come to claim me, I just knew it.

But it did not deter me from my duties because I owed too much to my family and if death held me close in its grip, then I would do all for them that a good stallion could. However, the contrast between the soft morning light and the way my body desired to give way beneath me was a ghoulish image. Surely the devil and his underlings would spare me this day, this singular day that I wished to make my own since the events in the Steppe. I was ill, but not incapable, right?

As the Threshold loomed tall before me, I hesitated at its gates before forcing my way into the barren landscape. As always, the land was heavily travelled and sodden beneath numerous sets of tracks both native and foreign to Helovia. The softened ground made traversing the narrow paths even more difficult on my tender bones, but I pushed onward in hopes of defying the demons that sought to contain me. My thoughts were still and empty though and the only sounds of life around me were the trees creaking to life beneath the healing powers of the sun. It would be some time before they bloomed with fullness but spring was on its way promising relief for everyone dazed by Winter’s spell.

Though I thought myself distracted by the idea of life itself, I was compelled to forget the notion in favor of a strong scent drifting through the dead air. This aroma was very much alive in spite of the stillness that invaded my journey. I hesitated a moment, wondering if approaching would cause fear in the heart of another at the sight of me, but I was here… and there was no avoiding my appearance any longer. It had gone on for nearly two weeks. Things weren’t looking any better; in fact they had grown gradually worse.

Tracing the fragrance that struck me as distinctly male, I trailed it into a small clearing to my left. I rumbled upon my ascent, but I knew that in most cases this did little to set a panicked soul at ease. So when I parted the tree line in hopes of standing a good distance away, I finally laid eyes on a small inky stallion with curious grey dappling. In truth he was a feminine creature, designed with more technique than I, but a virile specimen nonetheless. With piercing blue eyes, I was struck by how stunning the stallion was that I was almost fooled into thinking he were female were it not for the obvious signs of a stud. “Welcome to Helovia. I assume you come looking for a place to reside?” I paused to give him time to think and possibly adjust to my presence before moving on. “I’m Thor and I come from the World’s Edge, a herd land within these parts. I think I can help you friend, what’s your name?

Go on, save yourself
@[Cetan]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered

A rumble shattered the silence of the forest, and Cetan's head whipped to the side, ears shooting straight up and nostrils flared. Okay... maybe he didn't want to be found. Rumbling noises were never good, and the stallion stepped back, ears flattening against his skull. But no hunting cat lept at him; instead a monster of a horse appeared from the trees. Cetan relaxed a bit, one ear cocking forward before something else set the high-strung unicorn on edge, his legs tensing to flee. No horn. Hornless. Dangerous. He held still as the giant stallion spoke, not out of polite regard for him, but out of a deep-rooted fear of anything unknown. It was what kept him alive, and was going to do so.

Both ears flicked forward at Thor when he asked for Cet's name, and after a few heartbeats he replied. "Cetan." He said, ears returning to their position against his skull. The stallion was as large as Herd Leader had been, and a glance down at his feathery hooves confirmed it; if he wanted this stranger could pound Cetan to a pulp. How reassuring. His blue eyes returned to the face of the giant, watching his ears, eyes, nostrils and legs. No matter the words or expression, one's true intentions always held themselves in the posture, the movements.

He was not hostile.

It was then, and only then that the tension fled Cetan, and he relaxed, ears flicking upright, eyes no longer completely terrified, but rather just wary. "Why do you believe i need help...friend?" He asked, rolling the word around before deciding he didn't much care for it. Why did this stranger call him 'friend' when he didn't know Cetan? It was puzzling.

Word Count:283 Tags:@[Thor]

Thor the Gentle Heart

I’d seen such an expression before: frightened, unsure, or maybe even mortified. But it didn’t faze me as much anymore, even when my eyes lit on Cetan to find the terror residing deep within. My size was something to marvel, not that I held a candle to Archibald the Dauntless; he was surely more intimidating than I for he was a warlord after all… I used to question why I never saw him in the Threshold and I suppose now I knew why. That look of fear that I saw wading within those icy blue eyes was enough to make my stomach turn. I didn’t think myself a ferocious beast by any means and that anyone would feel that way toward me meant that they couldn’t have been very worldly. It takes travelling and discovering to become at home with the strange sights in life these days and it was clear that this lad still had a little learning to do; never mind the fact that I came here to teach him of his options… With a little more hesitance than before, I dipped my face low so that he might see that I came in peace, but of course the action held serious consequences for me.

My shoulders seared with white hot pain as my neck extended away from the sensitive flesh of my spoiled appendages. I could not bring them up or away from my sides anymore and they hung lifelessly there until I once again straightened back into position. I tried desperately to hide the agony that flourished through my body but I couldn’t deny the wincing discomfort that reached for my eyes. “It is indeed a pleasure to meet you Cetan.” I watched cautiously as the stud took another moment to absorb me in his mind the way a child would, however, I couldn’t help but smile at his efforts to appear at ease when it was clear that he certainly wasn’t. I didn’t try to soothe him with my words and instead remained motionless before him, a statue of power and grace.

After what felt like an eternity, Cetan finally found his voice and vacated the silence that previously paid homage to our conversation. He was a meager fellow, but clearly intelligent as far as I could see. He thought through most of his answers and considered the ramifications of every word. I enjoyed that about him and when he attempted to test my resolve, I made sure to set him straight on what kind of creature I truly was. “I don’t believe you need help, but a little direction never hurt anyone. You’ve come to the claiming grounds and I have come to claim you, should you find my offer up to your standards.” I paused to look at him directly, my eyes never faltering in their certainty. “There are four herds, of which I mentioned before- the World’s Edge where I call home, the Dragon’s Throat, the Hidden Falls, and the Aurora Basin. Each land is made up of a different set of personalities, but I’m here to educate you on the Edge, thus I represent them fully. We can provide you shelter, a family, and a shot at equality. I don’t demean any of the other herds so if there’s one that interests you more, I’d be glad to answer any questions you have.

I paused to let the information sink in. There was a lot to be considered here and I knew that he would take the time he needed to make a decision before rushing headlong into something he was unsure of. I shuffled to rest back onto my rear quarters so that the pressure of standing did not contribute to the pain shooting through my back. I spent most days in this way, trying to evade the symptoms of a mysterious illness that I’d contracted a little over a week ago. My devout love for my home always drove me past the threshold of pain or anger or humiliation. The love of my family kept me alive when I felt like dying… surely this stallion would understand the kind of life the Edge would inspire.

Go on, save yourself

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

What have we here?

The cold set him to wandering, and wandering to the Threshold seemed to be a habit he could not shake. Perhaps it was because he knew it was part of his job, perhaps because he wished to help usher lost souls to their appropriate places...perhaps Torleik simply didn't wish anyone to feel as bone-weary, empty and alone as he had upon arrival. Whatever his motivation, the Bloodskald found he was too preoccupied to root around in his brain and discern the particulars - so here he was.

Snow crunched beneath his feet, freezing even more thoroughly into ice around his hooves as he stepped, his magic ever-present. Irelyn soared languidly in the sky above the treetops, paying little heed to anyone or anything down below. That was fine for today; the Bloodskald did not want her to believe she had to be as vigilant as he was at all times. She was just a babe still, and needed to enjoy her childhood. Torleik's ears twitched as voices reached him, low and words indiscernible. So someone else was around. Why not take a look?

Altering his methodical path towards the voices, the General of the Basin came upon two stallions, one much larger than the other. He'd missed introductions, it seemed, but nodded respectfully to this other. Torleik could not recall ever seeing the large, muscular male prior to now, and certainly not this scrawnier unicorn nearby. However, despite missing introductions proper, it seemed this larger one was already launching into his persuasive speech to sway this unicorn into joining his herd - which appeared to be the World's Edge.

Hadn't Ophelia said something about the Basin having a problem with the World's Edge? Or had that been Illynx some time ago...the Bloodskald could not remember, and it was of little consequence now. He waited patiently, quietly out of respect, for the large stallion to finish, then stepped forward to command a slight bit of attention from all parties.

"And I can speak of the Aurora Basin if you wish," he began. "I am Torleik, and I reside in the mountains this one speaks of. I fear I have missed the part where we all exchange names - you are?" he asked of the unicorn, then turned to the larger stallion. "And you? We have not met as to my knowledge."

@[Cetan]
@[Thor]

"talk talk talk"

Art by araxel @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Unregistered

Cetan watched the giant carefully, head moderately low and ears pointed directly at him. He didn't read any threats from Thor, but experience taught that appearances could be misleading. He stiffened when Thor lowered his head, anticipating a charge even though his mind didn't even consider the possibility yet. It was too focused on the faint lines of agony that creased the eyes of the giant. Was he injured? Cetan quickly glanced Thor over once more, and if he didn't have his coat to cover his skin, one would have seen him blanch.

Wings. Shredded and rotten, foul things. But wings

In a flash of black the young stallion sprang to the side, putting enough distance that he could run away, but not so much that either of them would have to yell to talk. Cetan's mind was whirling. A pegasus. A winged one. The same kind that left their marks on his hide, and he could feel his withers twitching as if in memory of the bites and lashes. But a voice from behind him sent the skittish stallion flying once more, his ears back in their place flat against his skull.

But the second stallion had no wings, and horns sprouted from his head. The familiar sight relaxed the dapple, and his ears soon moved forward again, one at Thor and one at Torleik. "My name is Cetan." He said, frowning faintly to himself as he puzzled over the newcomer's arrival. Two herd representatives were here now...did they lurk here waiting to snatch up foreigners?

Word Count:258 Tags:@[Thor] @[Torleik]

Thor the Gentle Heart

The familiar rushing of the wind whispered at my ear and though it made me tremble in remembrance of the Steppe, I was quick to shrug free of the cold embrace like an impatient child. My muscles seized weakly in protest but in a moment’s time I was finally able to face Cetan with a determined gaze. His skittish personality did little to remedy the situation as he mistook nearly every action to be a threat and even as he jumped and blustered at my attempts to soothe him, I knew it was going to take more time and effort than my physical well-being was willing to give. I was more than ready to bring my task to a close as my body began to hum and sing from the pains of illness, but as the words began to translate from thought to sound the crunching of ice and frozen turf silenced my attempt. Irritation made my cheeks burn and my teeth clench in response to the damp scent of the Basin as it wafted through the barren trees, presumably clinging to the skin of one of their members. I’d yet to turn my eyes to face the intruder but morality would not let me beseech he or she out of respect for the neutrality that ruled over the Threshold. This was neither my place nor my temperament to lash out at any of all inhabitants of such an equal land… but I had found a loophole where frustration was involved.

However, upon laying eyes on the graceful creature that wandered seamlessly into our midst, I became more enthralled with him than agitated. I’d never seen the likes of him, but his posture and the way he seemed to glide across the icy swells was enough to intrigue me into spellbound tolerance, no matter the circumstances. Though ties with the Basin were still hazy in my mind, I knew that there existed some neutral agreement between their way of life and my own in the Edge. I had no intentions of disrespecting Kahlua or Kaj in the name of “recruiting” especially not after all they had done for me.

Upon his entrance, the charcoal stud nodded to Cetan and I with the valor of an aristocrat which made me wonder if he was indeed just that... or perhaps he was seated in power or maybe just titled? However, with my attentions only temporarily swayed, I allowed him into our company with a swift toss of my head. This was not a competition by any means, though I knew that meetings such as these often ended in a bloodied word battle sprayed along the walls of our respective herd lands. But that was not my technique nor would it ever be and so with my tensions caged within the pain of sickness and a growing exhaustion, I gathered myself to stand upright and face the two stallions with a little more integrity than I’d ever thought I could possess. Hiding my suffering had become a game that only I could play, but at least I was determined to win…

Though Torleik’s introduction only proved to solidify my assumptions of his residence, there was a sinking feeling in the pit of my gut that made a half scowl turn my lips towards the hell that wreaked havoc on my body and plagued my mind. I should have known that I would face opposition trying to pull a horned creature from the Threshold in the wake of the “Unicorn Supremacy” that flourished in the Basin. It had always been my assumption of course, considering I’d never heard as much from the lips of a Basin animal, but this incident cemented my beliefs without a trace of doubt… But civility had forsaken me and though I did not want to lose this meek, horned stallion to the land of ice and snow, there was clearly nothing I could do to avert his opinions of me and otherwise… “I am Thor of the World’s Edge. It is of a great kindness that I have met you Torleik.” Thought I felt weary and perhaps a bit uncertain, I turned my interest back to Cetan in the hopes of turning him away from the North. “I’d like nothing more than to extend an offer for your company back to the World’s Edge should you seek it. However, if you hold any doubt then I think it would be wise for me to take leave. The cold of winter does not spare even beasts like me…

At least part of what I had said was true. Though, I would never clarify of which sentiment that was…

Go on, save yourself
@[Torleik] @[Cetan]

Unregistered

Cetan looked at the unicorn, ears pricked before he looked to Thor. He was leaving? The dapple's hide trembled, and he eyed the rot-winged pegasus before scrambling up the slope towards the giant stallion, ears flattened. "Wait! I'll join you." He said, standing a bit away from the giant, head low. The cold made his body tremble, and he glanced back once more at the newcomer.

While Torleik had a sort of regal aura that Cetan naturally bowed to, Thor drew the unicorn for some strange reason. Maybe because of his lack of superiority or nobility, something the dark unicorn possesed. Regardless, here he stood, waiting for Thor to lead him to a new home, hopefully out of this blasted cold and someplace warmer. This was no Long Winter, or so he hoped, but to the small stallion it was plenty cold enough. At times(and this was one such time), he felt as if he could hardly move, as if his very blood was turning to ice. His winter coat was thin, and Cetan hardly kept an ounce of fat on his body. Timidly he moved a little closer to Thor, as if that would add any warmth, although he still kept a wary eye on him.

Word Count:207 Tags:@[Thor]