the Rift

[OPEN] Quiet like a fight [herd meeting of sorts]

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

....Did that hurt you...?

The Haruspex stood calmly, broken from a certain energy that had vitalized his spirits for some seasons; everything was mild about him these days. As a matter of fact, Sin himself could confess to being somewhat neglectful of his more scientific pursuits of philosophy—engrossed, as he was, with this new predicament that faced his herd and his family, this growing threat of an unknown, untested quantity, treating this horror as though it were a newly discovered gas that climbed up from the cracks and geysers of the earth. He watched his god, that ever-powerful Lord of Time that he so revered and tried to serve so desperately, with a tranquil, steady eye. Thoughts of Myrddin were present, memories both of the animated, crotchety old man and his wrinkled corpse. It was no use trying to dispel those things from his mind, and wear the hide of a hypocrite. In all honesty the recollections barely stirred him, failing to ignite the passions of the newest Haruspex. Though Sin’s obvious sobriety should be noted, as well.

His dear Lady, Illynx, was gone as well. He gave tiny sigh of pity, a silent shudder that wracked his body once, and only once—then he was done. He had adored his GildedBlade, his Lady of golden brocade and pleasant disposition; she had been most appreciable, glimmering as she did by the side of the Reaper. Hadn’t she done her job well, and protect her citizens efficiently? Sin wouldn’t forget her, or that adorable little companion of hers, the one whom Sin mourned for as well, for he had never had the chance to investigate that creature’s anatomy closer. Ah, well. This was not the first time he has seen the herd shift underneath him, dynamic and organic, the power structures crumbling and raising from the earth again. It mattered little—unless, of course, they dispelled him from the herd. And for several years now, no one has had the heart to throw the insane away.

He did not know this woman, this pale woman of crimson tips and a rather gloriously blue eye. In another lifetime Sin would’ve been absolutely cheerful to crush that skull, examine those beautiful eyes of hers, particularly that blue one that they shared. But no, this wouldn’t do, now that his own Lord of Time had named her Lady of the Basin. She smelled of cold—but obviously a different sort of cold, a cold that had nothing to do with the mustiness of the caves, the salt of the hot springs. In short, she was not a woman of the Basin; at the very least, she hadn’t been a citizen for very long.

His Lord of Time had chosen her—there was nothing to debate. He would reserve his judgments for now, and give her the time needed to demonstrate her ableness to lead the herd. He lowered his head to her-- not quite bowing as he had with Illynx, for that had been tinged with a twisted sort of vague personal affection that he did not spare for Ophelia, not quite yet. “My Lady,” he said with lilting, gilded words of smooth honey, “it brings me honor to welcome your presence here, so graced by the light of Spark and the music of Time. I am Zikar-Sin, and I shall serve you as Haruspex, m’Lady, if you see fit.”

He lifted his head now, and turned his eyes to his dark god—shocked to see him there so suddenly, with little fanfare. Zikar-Sin had expected his god to be a man for flare; he supposed he should stop expecting anything from a god. “Divine Lord of Spark,” he said, a nothing restrained about the reverence in his voice, “I come to you now, humbly requesting guidance, if you are so accommodating….” The god was here on another appointment, it was true—but the Lord was here now, in flesh, and Sin needed counsel for his people.

“What can we do to shield ourselves from this blight?” It was a rare bluntness for Sin, someone who loved to talk and lace his words with eloquence. Yet, of course, he had just seen his old Master lying broken and dead upon the poppies. Voids didn’t break has hearts did—but they did fluctuate painfully, from time to time.

...Forgive Me...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quiet like a fight [herd meeting of sorts] - by Zikar-Sin - 11-25-2014, 11:53 AM