the Rift

Shadows of the Dawn [Moon, Mirage]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
And so we returned to where it began; but where my journey had started with one set of hoofprints, treading alone, now four of us ventured up the winding pathway to the hall of the Gods, dark equines weaving through the shadowy predawn as bright companions circle overhead. Despite the chill autumn air, my shivers are not caused by cold so much as excitement, a brilliant and thrilling anticipation for what lies ahead. It delighted me to see the Lady's approval glow in her servant's eyes, to know that my search for knowledge would bear some fruit. That I had not disappointed my moon, my mother. Nótt sent us on our way with a final message - or rather, what I hoped would be our last instruction - an instruction to discover why we sought the darkness.

Why, indeed?

I could guess at Mirage's reason. It seemed to be her reason for everything these days, her Qian, her new family, and while I would never confess to feeling envious at their importance to my sister, I could not understand how she placed such value in the company and affection of strangers. Her motley band of outcasts had, thus far, managed to do nothing but thoroughly disinterest me... although I must admit, I owed Vikram much for his well-timed rescue. My hocks still ached from the cruel burns cast upon them; my tail hung short, singed halfway to oblivion. The pain that accompanied each step was a bright reminder of what I had suffered - what we had suffered - at the wrath of a god we had not offended.

Was that why I sought the dark? Because of the cruelty seen in the day? Because I was a loner, a dismal soul cast out from the embrace of others, who could more easily fit in amongst the shadows than amongst the dawn? Hah, no; such morbid ideas were not explanation for my reasoning. Still, I mused on the idea as I climbed the path to the volcanic altar, deft hooves kicking loose rubble into the molten rocks, auds drawing comfort from the sound of Mirage behind me. At last they loomed before us, the decorated altars three, although that of the sun stood stark and barren, a reminder of his outcast from the fold of his sibling's embrace. Dark eyes settle on the altar of the Lady as I draw to a halt, low voice sounding into the dwindling night.

"Milady, I have returned. I found the source of dark, with the aid of my sister, Mirage; I have walked through the sea and across the map. I seek the dark because I seek to know the dark, to understand what most eludes us, as mortals; to unveil our fears.

"I do not fear the dark."

[Image: RishiRef.jpg]

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
Why did one ever seek power?

There were many reasons one could select. World domination was not something Mirage had in mind, though she had met plenty along her way who indeed thought that conquering all was the only way they could spread their good will about. Mirage was not the sort to force herself upon others - though she could be very persuasive when the occasion arose.

The reasons for her making this journey began as a favour to her beloved sister, though she would admit the yearning for knowledge mingled in the reasoning there. But had it been a stranger asking her to seek out the source of the dark? The little shadow mare didn't know what she would have done; she was grateful it had been her sister, making it all the easier for her to fall into stride and learn alongside the Moon's very own Pupil.

The reason for now seeking the Dark element were not entirely clear to her. As they walked, stride for stride, across the lands, eight hooves to the ground and four wings to the sky, many thoughts rolled through the shadow's magnificent brain, she listened to her sister's constant yearning for knowledge - it was insatiable, perhaps more so than her own.

The Qian took precedence within her. There was no doubt. Every reason that crossed her mind involved her beloved followers, her family, her mate, her brothers, her sister - all of them. The inky mare stood alongside her sister now, listening to the words she spoke, feeling her own pride for her sister's accomplishments swelling up within her.

It was a difficult task, to work out exactly how to voice one's purpose, when it was so broad and all-encompassing - Mirage could talk for years on her reasons for seeking the Darkness. This journey for her had not started just when Rishima asked it of her, it had spanned her entire life. A breath was taken in the silence that followed Rishima's words, and the mare collected her smooth, honey-warm voice, before blessing the stillness with her harmonic explanations.

"I seek the dark for similar reasons for my beloved sibling, and yet I find the more I know of it, the less I truly know." A wry smile curved her lips. The more one discovered about something, the more they found they had yet to discover. "I seek the Dark so that I can lead my kin, you know them, my Lady Luna. The Qian deserve a true leader in order to rise to their full potential; with the Dark I can become that true leader."

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

The lady appears gradually from the air, her figure becoming more and more solid until finally silver hooves clack on the hardened lava, her silver eyes gleaming. An unusual smile is on her lips, but it quickly fades back to her normal, stoic expression. "You have both been on a long journey," she says, before responding to the words they had spoken at the request of the Night. "Did you find some answers that you were searching for, Rishima? I hope my lessons have taught you well thus far."

A delicate face turns to look at Mirage, a look of familiarity in her eyes of liquid silver. They glitter and dance as she watches to mare for a second, sizing up her reason. A smirk clings to the corners of her lips, just a slight twitch of the muscles, but noticeable to those who watched her closely. Her voice, like a gust of wind, finally rings out in the air. "There is a power in you that does not match your figure at times, Mirage," she begins, her voice mysterious even as she reveals her thoughts. "A demure black mare, even if you are quite mischevious. There is another you hiding underneath the shadow mare."

Her eyes turn to Rishima, and the lady smiles at her pupil. "To better understand darkness, you must have the ability to wield it."

"I will grant you both abilities to aid you in your search for the darkness. With your departure from here, the new magic will be instilled within you. All you need to do is call upon it."

[ Rishima receives the DarkxLight ability to see into the soul and body of another for a brief period of time, and thus gain understanding of their inner workings.

Mirage receives the DarkxEarth ability to shapeshift into a dragon, with a size slightly larger than her body now. ]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
"I have learned much, my lady, although I still yearn to know more." I smile wryly at the newly materialized goddess, dark eyes undisguised and genuine in their gratitude and curiosity, the hope that my tutelage will not end here. "I still hold questions that yearn for answers: what is in the dark? How do light and dark interact; how does one create illusions in the dark; how does one change their shape, morph bone structure and internal organs, without causing permanent physical damage, or even death?" The questions spew from my lips in an ever-growing stream, a great gush of ideas and queries that will perhaps never be fully quenched, a well that has reached its brim and is now overflowing into this possibility of its clarity, eagerly bubbling and belying my generally stoic nature. I pause to breathe and stop, suddenly catching myself, a small, sheepish smile curling gently upon my lips.

I catch her smirk, and wonder if it is response to my words or to Mirage, who now seems to hold her attention. Her words echo what I already know, but I am glad for my sister as our deity voices them, swatting her hocks gently with ivory locks in a teasing show of support. Through our link, I can feel Kali growing tired; she is still young, and this has been quite exciting for her. I call to her silently, inviting my small companion to rest; reluctantly, she leaves Akaith, calling out to her 'sister' as she spirals down to land on my back. Subtly I shift, adjusting my weight to accommodate the gryphon; she purrs and settles into a comfortable ball of feathers and fur, long wings furled at her sides.

I turn my attention away from Kali as the lady addresses me once more, black gaze on her lavender form, her silver eyes. Her promise of abilities catch me by surprise, I will confess, and my jaw drops oh so slightly in delighted amazement. I had gone into this adventure expecting naught but knowledge; to gain some power over the element of night, already, is phenomenal to my mind. I have seen so much magic in my long life; never have I wielded it! I cannot think, cannot speak; all I know is that this moment, this experience, this is so right, so quiet and perfect. I am stupefied with excited gratitude and gratification.

I must look like a fool.

Luckily, Kali seems to sense my petrification, and chooses this moment to save me from myself. With a tired yet curious chirp she raises herself onto hind legs, gracefully leaping from my back and stretching as her paws hit the ground, a feline movement accompanied by the avian maneuver of broadly outstretched wings. With a curious noise she turns to examine the Lady; bold, inquisitive, she approaches the goddess, black beak outstretched, falcon head tilted in curiosity, blue eyes shining. Before I can stop her, she beats her black-tipped wings, launching into the air and gliding about the Lady's head, chirping eagerly in some language of her species, trilling gleefully, as if to say, Look at me! I quested, too! Can I have something shiny? And while I know that I ought to call her off, her delighted fascination with the lady is simply too amusing to watch.

[ This is so awesome, thanks Boom! <3 ]

[Image: RishiRef.jpg]

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The Goddess appeared, and as always, the mare bows her head to the celestial presence, her guiding light for all these long years, her deity. It is without a shadow of a doubt that were she forced to choose but one superior being to follow, it would be the glorious figurine of this illustrious Goddess. As it was, Mirage was firm in her belief of balance - but still, she would not deny her adoration for the Moon Goddess to show here and now, knowing full well that the Lady Luna before her could see all that went on within her shadowy form.

Curved ears sit high atop their precarious poll, twitching amongst the thick, silky forelock that drapes itself across Mirage's forehead. With amusement she watches her sister receive praise, and throw questions back in return - questions that indeed burn inside Mirage too, though her tongue is less willing to voice them. When the Lady of the Moon turns her silver sights upon Mirage the mare feels her posture shift subtly, as the definition of a shadowy smile crosses the Moon's lips, she feels herself judged - and utterly confused.

Another me? What could she mean Akaith? A quizzical expression might have written itself across her façade for a moment, no longer than a passing breath, as she considered the words. You are a dragon. Lazily the golden one replied to her bonded, dropping delicately down from the skies above to make herself comfortable upon the charred mare's back. So you keep saying. With slight irritation Mirage could feel the amusement radiating from the smug little queen upon her back; it seemed, Akaith had already figured out the cryptic words of Lady Luna, and wasn't about to share her knowledge.

But then the Goddess spoke of granting the sisters these powers. A radiant smile adorns Mirage's lips, as she looks to her sister, nudging her happily. Of course Rishima had magic within her, just as she held her illusionary tricks - and, evidently, something more. Laughter chimed from the inky mare's mouth as Kali parades before the Goddess, before Mirage calls for attention with a soft nicker.

"We cannot thank you enough for the opportunity you have bestowed upon us. I look forward to discovering the true meaning behind your words."

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

The flurry of questions that rings out of Rishima would make the Goddess laugh, were she one to show her amused delight in such a way. A whisper of a smirk crosses her features before her attention was turned to Mirage, discussing with her the true form that she held underneath her body of black. They both seem delighted by my gifts, but there is one still in our company that has not gotten her share of the pot. The gryphon wakes up almost instantly, launching into the air to come inspect the Moon Goddess. Her strange, showy flight is enough to make the mare concede defeat and break out in a slight chuckle, silver eyes shining in the dimlight of dawn.

"Kali," the Goddess says faintly, like black drawn on black, "you are a delight." The Moon Goddess has not finished yet, for her eyes land on Rishima's dark body yet again.

"We will have another lesson soon, Rishima," she says. "I will call for you." Her face turns to Mirage last, a familiar look overriding her silver eyes, like a twin set of mirrors. "I have no doubt we will meet again, Mirage."

And with that, the Goddess disappears in a blur of purple and silver, leaving behind nothing but a rush of wind as her goodbye.