the Rift

[OPEN] Paradise Valley [Throat-island thread]
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

[Some of you expressed interest in knowing about Gaucho's island idea IC. Since he *just* called a heard meeting, I don't think he would gather everyone together again. So if you want to know about the Island-proposal, feel free to post here. Gaucho is just derping near the landbridge, so as soon as someone asks him "hey wut r u doin here?" He'll explain, and you can assume that your character came along and heard it, and/or stay and chat :) There won't be a posting order.]

Gaucho stood outside of the Throat wall - a wall that stood unfinished even after so many seasons. The crumbling stones were a joke; they wouldn't stand the test of time, just as surely as they hadn't stopped any who had tried to invade. It wasn't from lack of effort per se ... possibly just ... lack of time. Lack of commitment. Lack of dedication. Things had been strong and smooth under the rule of Kri, and then under the rule of Kri and Midas, and he truly believed that under his own rule with the painted leader things had been fine as well. In his mind, the downwards spiral began when Africa and Sohalia had taken over. Things had gotten soft, defenses were lowered. And why? Just because the two queens thought they could dispel danger with their words? Simply because their souls and bodies were kind, did not mean that it would deter a hostile force. They had been lucky that none came but ...

It didn't matter. He had let the Throat down. Africa and Sohalia were only put in charge because he had disappeared. For reasons beyond his control or not, he had let his family down. He wasn't there for them when they needed him, and they did the best they could on their own. But now that he was back, he would ensure their safety.

He had to.

His stormy gaze looked out across the thin strip of land that connected the Throat to the rock outcropping of what was previously the Heart. Narrowing his eyes, he huffed slightly. That was the funnel into the Throat, at least for those who could not fly. That was the area that was weakest to attack. That was the area that had to go. Flicking his dark tail, Gaucho thought about the Sun God's word and the quest that he had been tasked with. Did the God really think he meant to isolate his herd? Of course he didn't. He only meant to protect them. Perhaps it was because the diety didn't know of the boats, the keys, and the gates that he meant to implement..? No sooner had the thought rolled into his mind, did Gaucho chastise himself for thinking it. Of course the God knew. The Sun God knew everything.

Perhaps it simply wouldn't be enough.

Flaming wings hugged neatly against his flanks, the WildFire stood stoically and silently looking out across the thin land bridge, wondering.

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Satanic Silk Posts: 153
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 5 (Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
I stretch my wings out to their fullest as I fly through the sky, coasting on wind pockets that come my way. I lie to myself as I go that I'm just enjoying the slowly warming air. Birdsong has finally arrived, though frost and snow still linger in many places. In my bones, though, I can feel new life returning to Helovia. In truth I am not just enjoying a nice flight, but searching for my love. I haven't seen her for what seems like ages, and my panic at her absence seems like a constant threat to drown me. I have searched every bit of the Throat for her and seen not a trace. Except for the land bridge... the last bit of connection we have to the rest of Helovia. I am approaching it and I swoop lower, giving myself a better view. I might as well inspect it for more than just Africa - potential intruders, as well.

Instead of intruders I find the head honcho. Gaucho stands rather peacefully on the end of the bridge, and I think that I may join him. He's the big boss now -- surely, he might know where the grey parrot is? I land on the bridge not far behind him, and slowly walk up behind him, expecting him to turn around and see me. I stop not far away and my silky black lips part. Eloquence is not with me today. "Gaucho. How goes it?" It's the best I can manage, and a large exhale follows it. My ears droop and I lower my crown slightly toward the ground. It's as if I've been holding my breath, and I just now realized it. Perhaps this stalwart stallion has counsel, though I certainly don't know him well enough to have earned it.

Walking "Talking"
300 words

Satanic Silk
[Image: silkicon2_by_lainey_lou-d73bsek.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho's nose rose into the sky watching as the bat-winged creature descended. He was glad to see that Silk's gaze search the sands, assuming that it was for threats or unwanted visitors. Being on the land bridge invited those sorts of problems. In fact the dun was glad to see his sleuth, there were matters that they needed to discuss over and above what lingered in his mind about the Island.

Turning his blocky body towards the taller arrival, the Wildfire grunted and nodded a greeting. "Thinking." Gaucho responded, the wordy weighty as if carrying with it much meaning. For the dun the act of thinking was quite the exercise in patience. Even with Mara's aid thinking through the implications of creating an island were difficult. He was starting to second guess having his crafters create boats. It would take so much of their resources and the idea was currently untested. Would the boats work? Couldn't they simply be commandeered by invaders? Thoughts whirled in his simple mind as Mara chastised him for not returning Silk's greeting. With a grunt, Gaucho repeated the bat winged's request for information using the same words that he used, although in Gaucho's mouth they sounded rather awkward and odd.

"How goes it .. with .. you?" He didn't really understand the phrase, although he knew the types of answers that were usually given.

Shaking his blocky skull his expression changed as he regarded the sleuth sternly.

"[Insert Dialogue here. See below**]." Gaucho concluded, having voiced his concerns. The sleuth had proven himself as stealthy as he was silent. The dun was confident in his abilities.

** SEKRIT CONVERSATION. I'll Skype you :D **

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Slowly drifting, drifting away, wave after wave

Cold air continued to predominate the world, but in some way, it seemed as if the bitter grip of Frostfall was loosening. Ampere wasn't sure if the sunshine was stronger, if the light was longer, if the birds were louder... or if she was just warmer from her exercise this morning, but either way, she felt something like a change. It brought a tune to her lips as she walked, unusually unburdened after wearing herself out on an endurance run. It had left her sleek with sweat, darkening an already dark coat, and limber in her legs so that at times she faltered on the uneven ground with the weariness of her muscles. Yet it felt good. It felt right. So she sang, wandering casually back home on nothing more than her four hooves.

By the time she made it to the land bridge her sweat had all but dried in salt lines on her flanks and her tune had grown slow and steady, like the season. She was imagining the oasis, her thirst poignant on her tongue, but like the wind her thoughts changed as her gaze skirted the figures in the distance.

She recognized at once the stalwart stallion crafted of earth and fire. She paused for a moment, her step stumbling as she did so, her tune cut short with an abrupt warble of a wrong tune. She breathed heavily, unease roiling in her gut, ears sliding back slightly with the feeling of it.

Then she shook it off.

She resumed her pace after a moment of composure and strode forward with song back on her lips. She was determined not to let him govern her every waking moment, and she was thirsty. Still, to be cordial, she slowed as she neared them, nodding to both her brothers in turn. As she did so she noticed more of the meeting - the two seemed to have just shared a private conversation. Again not unusual, but something wasn't entirely right either. Gaucho was usually patrolling or deeper within the land when grounded. Silk... she honestly didn't know much about him other than his title. Perhaps an intruder had broken in, or someone had been stolen? Was she supposed to be on patrol when she'd been out exercising? She thought she had checked...

"What're you doing?" she asked lightly, only intending to make small conversation, though her gaze, reinvigorated with curiosity, slipped between both of them. It lingered longer on Gaucho, though she did not look at him again for a while for that reason.

I wish I could make it easy, easy to love me
A M P E R E
Looking for the right words to say, feels like I'm drowning

Blusl.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.
Ascended Helovian

Today not even the raw sexuality Ampere exuded whether knowingly or not could fully pull his mind away from the thoughts that splashed in his primitive mind. As his conversation with Silk came to an end he felt relieved; it was one less thing to think about, which created more space for thoughts of the Island to interrupt and consume his thoughts.

As Ampere moved to his side, he turned to her, dark eyes falling upon her but clearly not seeing her as he usually did. In his antlers however, Mara was fully aware of the Blue's presence, as she normally was. Her sleek body slithered out through a tangle of forelock to peer down at the Mother of Companions, black eyes emotionlessly lingering upon her. The snake had become more active now that Frostfall's bitter cold did not linger everywhere - no longer did she have to hug herself to Gaucho's thick skull for warmth.

"Thinking." Gaucho grunted, giving Ampere the same answer that he had given Silk. His dark nose turned away from her allowing his gaze to fall back upon the land bridge, as he grunted quietly to himself. How was he supposed to tell them what he was thinking of? How was he supposed to put it all into words they would understand? Mara had helped him with vocabulary to try and piece together the thoughts, but he felt reluctant to try. Warriors like Ampere would understand surely ... but the others? When was the last time they felt true fear? Why would they be motivated to accept his proposal when their minds had grown stagnant?

"Gaucho visit Sun God .." He began, his voice trailing off as he reluctantly pulled his gaze from the land bridge. "Throat not defensible as is...Gaucho talk to Sun God about it, decide to make the Throat into an Island ... Sun God give Gaucho quest to blow-up land bridge ...Biggest threat is from Basin. If they not able to walk over, they forced to swim. Swim make them tired and weak if they try to invade." Gaucho's tail flicked against his hocks with annoyance as his gaze fully fell upon Ampere and Silk now.
"Gaucho ask Cera and Buce to make boats - that how non-winged members get from one side to the other but ... not sure now. Not seem strong enough.."

Self-doubt, an emotion not normally seen upon the Wildfire's face, now spread. If not boats, then what? Near him in the sand were two metal buckets, one created by Cera, the other by Buce. Nosing towards them, Gaucho sighed. "Once Gaucho begin quest, Gaucho not be able to ... hear or see sometimes. So Gaucho thinking about boats, and about solutions. Not begin quest until this solved."

[Remember, no posting order! :) ]

Alija Posts: 58
Absent Abyss atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4: Tallsun HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Sara95

Alija had been wondering around trying to find something to do for her family. Without really knowing where she was going the purple and pink mare made her way around her home land. A small warm smile covered her badger marked face. It was a nice day to be out traveling. This was proved to her, when steel blue orbs caught sight of a few others milling around. Calling out softly the mare trotted towards the winged group antlered head held high. She knew who two of the three Pegasus were, Silk and her male leader Gaucho. The black and electric blue mare she had only seen. Smiling softly she dipped her head as she pulled herself up next to much taller Silk, and Gaucho. "Hello everyone." After saying pleasantries the mare listened silently at her bay and painted leader spoke.

His words worried and surprised her. It didn't seem right to her that he would want to take the only means of coming home and leaving from all non-winged members. Boats? Alija did not like the sound of that either. A frown creased her soft features as she tucked her head close to her chest. Holding her tongue Aljia closed her eyes thinking. She knew all about life not being fair, but this was almost cruel. How could he think the land bound members would be ok with this? Even around her hurt feelings she understood why he wanted to do this. It was a great way to keep the family safe, but it really sucked. It would make coming home or leaving tedious and aggravating.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lyrics" 'Ponderings'
Words: 267
OOC: I know it's short, but she is here and will, grudgingly, help lol

[Image: 53a4c3e87d453]
Please tag Alija! All magic and physical force is acceptable to any degree besides killing her.

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs
[Image: 3999927.png]

[Image: 3999923.png]

[Image: 9e6b3ad4-a8c4-4003-bd66-cb75589c58e6_zps...1415597174]

The gathering had drawn the attention of a certain winged stallion as he soared high above the desert sands. Circling for a while, he spied the unmistakable coats of Ampere and Alija approach. Well, certainly would be interesting. The black circled down towards the ground in a lazy spiral, landing almost silently on the sand, just a rustle of feathers and rush of air giving him away. "Are we having a party?" He asked, folding his wings. His gaze went to Gaucho, then a strange face. The other man held bat wings like the Threshold mare did, but looked completely different.

Turning his gaze away from the other stallion, he dipped his head to Alija. "I forgot to thank you for your help the other day." He hummed, raising his head, gaze flickering over her before he turned his head slightly. Then he grinned, spotting his lopsided bucket next to Cera's pristine creation. Well that wasn't embarrassing at all. Then his gaze went to Ampere, and he tilted his head to her in greeting as well. His gaze quickly strayed back to the buckets, mind mulling over Gaucho's plan. Another glance to Alija, and then back to the buckets.

Even with a boat, it seemed the wingless were given the short end of the draw, so to speak. While he could barely care on that, it did seem a bit like they were placing pegasi above others... similar to the Basin's way of thought. However, he kept that to himself. After all, there was a man with fire not too far away who happened to be Sultan. Not even he was stupid enough to let that train of thinking slip from his lips.

Word Count:283 Tags:000

Please tag Bucephalus in all posts.
Any force is allowed against short of death.

Pixel by Aud

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Any other day, she might have crossed the water for a shortcut home but the little warrior was too exhausted to risk being out of sight of land. She was always better in the air, but now she flew low and veered her path now and again before righting herself to keep her bay body over the land bridge. She had crossed Helovia and returned, chasing murderers and clues and cannibals. Gaucho had sent her out for information, but Meg had pushed herself to make it back her to tell all she’d learned. Had it been only days since the Sultan had sent her? A week? Two? Meg hadn’t bothered to count the days and had skipped a few to many sleeps. It was a comfort to see Dragon’s Throat draw closer. She’d been to the wretched north, still in a frozen grip, but Frostfall had broken in the Throat and she knew she would find respite among the sun and the sand. She didn’t plan to stay long: a report and a rest and Meg would set back out to patrol again. And even better? There ahead was Gaucho, at the end of the landbridge with others of the Throat beginning to gather. Adjusting the angle of her wings, Meg slammed onto the earth with a disproportionate thud and continued forward on foot.

Meg drew up to the small gathering, Gaucho was speaking about his possible plans for the Throat. The little warrior was glad to stop and catch her breath. Dark wings hung low at her sides and the brown ang black of her coat had a sheen of sweat across it and a light lather worked over her neck and shoulders. Her scarred nose dipped to the fiery stallion in salute as she listened, waiting to give her report. An Island definitely appealed to Meg, but that certainly would limit the members without wings. Her ears stayed trained on Gaucho but she let her gaze shift to the others. Two mares, one winged and one antlered, and both so much prettier than she… The little spark of jealousy and shame came an went, and really only because Meg’s tired mind was even worse at filtering thoughts than usual. She never mattered to her that she was so unremarkable, so she told herself, she didn’t care about that. Two stallions were there as well, though only one had she met before. Meg eyed the leather-winged stallion with some air of caution and, almost without though, drew her wings up slightly to add a few inches to her height like and intimidated cat might puff out its fur. When they’d met once before, she’d been less than cordial, but then again she’d just escaped Helovia’s Heart at the time so maybe she’d had a good excuse.

“Protecting the Throat has to be our top priority.” Said Megaera, stepping forward hen the others had spoken, “Sultan, three more have been slain and at the last, I think I saw who may have done it. There was a unicorn, pink and pale, that was savaging one of the fallen. It does not seem to connect with the information we’ve had, but perhaps there is more than one involved in the attacks.” She paused, considering the last part of his dilemma. She didn’t like the idea of her commander deaf or blind, so she continued boldly. “If the Sun God would set a quest for the Throat’s protection then let the Throat answer it, it should not have to be you alone. I would help you in this, share the work. Share the cost."
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
Tandavi
I'll light a fire in your new shoes.
At first they think it must be a herd meeting, and they simply missed the invitation. They see the movement on the far horizon, hear the voices which drift on the wind. Wings beat and fall as bird after bird joins the flight; the girl hesitates, painfully aware of how out of place she would be, an earthbound denizen of a skybound land. She has begun to feel, again, that she does not belong, that this home she has found is not made for her. Not the place, she thinks, But the people are wrong. She loves that she can serve the Sun, her brother loves the desert sand which sticks between his toes, yet neither feel welcome here, embraced the way a family should hold tight.

Our fault, her brother points out from his place on her right. Not try. She knows he's right, but why must she try, why does she have to be the one putting herself out there, trying to grow close when everyone she loves just pushes her away? Angrily she kicks at the golden sand, and Natraj leaps away from the shower of earth, barking a protest at her carelessness. Not gonna make friends like that, he informs her. Try to be friendly. Just one time.

She sighs, but her footsteps bring her closer to the flock, close enough to make out figures and pick up the faintest echoes of words.

She is surprised to see she knows most of them. Anger flares at the sight of Ampere, hastily quelled to avoid inciting Natraj; she shifts her attention before they can fixate, asking her brother for his thoughts on their new king. Tandavi finds Gaucho intimidating, but not scary; unknown, uncertainty, she does not trust him the way she does Sohalia, but clearly the Sun had chosen him for a reason. But the girl quickly becomes distracted, caught up by conversation and the snippets of words- Sun God, quest, safety, boats.

What's a boat?
Natraj asks, and she silently shrugs. I have no idea. But her intrigue is piqued. Through inquisitive black eyes the girl observes, sparks dancing merrily down the arch of her back. What are they planning? How can she help? She wonders if this is her chance to be involved, to prove her worthiness and fulfill the task assigned. Since earning the rank of Diviner she has wondered how best she might serve. Onyx gaze searches Gaucho, carefully avoiding the electric mare. She doesn't know any to stand close to them, so she hovers alone at the outskirts of the gathering while her brother goes forth to sniff at a black pegasus stallion's white dipped legs.

"TALK HERE"

Image Credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho nodded stiffly to Alija, his thoughts still consumed by the Island, the workability of the boats, and his herd. The herd seemed ... alright with the idea of an Island, certainly Cera and Buce had when he had pitched the idea to them a few days ago. But the rest? Perhaps it was not the Island that worried th em, but the mode of getting there. This wasn't surprising now that he had mulled it over more. Boats seemed to be a poor choice. But if not boats, then what? Buce's sarcastic comments received a snort from the Sultan bit little more. His stormy gaze danced to Ampere almost pleadingly; she was usually so full of helpful suggestions.

At Meg's arrival, the Sultan's wings opened slightly as his head lowered. Her words fueled the fire burning in his soul in a good way. So few thought of the protection of the herd, for they had been lulled into a false sense of security. But with the murders - and now Meg's latest report - how could they be thinking of anything else? Perhaps the Island would isolate them ... at least until they could think of a solution better than gates and boats, but at least they would be alive. Wasn't that something?

"This task just for Gaucho .. but maybe ..." His dark gaze fell thoughtfully on his most recently returned warrior, as his antlered skull titled slightly to the side in contemplation. "Maybe Sun God let us quest for something else. Something that isn't boats."

Tandavi had arrived, but was lingering farther out of the circle than the rest of his herd was. He knew the girl was typically quiet and thought little of it. The racial tensions that were slowly pulling his herd apart didn't even cross his mind; why would they? His actions were caused by a desire to protect his family, not to tear them from each other. Winged or not, they were all his to protect.

"Oracle-" He called warmly, dark gaze trying to seek out the blackened one of the sun-touched girl. "What you think? You call Sun God to us here? Maybe we find better solution other than boats. Maybe Sun God magic help."

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily
Amani
Just A Picture To Burn

I trailed along behind the Diviner. I know the God of the Sun had to have a good reason for picking her, but my heart longs for the position she holds. My heart also longs for other things, but well I just don't want to get into that whole discussion again right now. I wonder if this is a herd meeting, but no I don't think it is. There is not enough of the herd here, let alone the fact several high ranks are missing.

I pick up my pace slightly, opening my wings out to stretch them. It has been a long FrostFall for me, keeping my wings so tight next to my body. I welcome the heat that BirdSong brings, my mind jumping to the fact that it was a year ago that the God of the Sun brought back the light. It was a year ago that I met Cera.... Oh damn it here I go again. No no no. Today is not about Cera or anything. It is about our Lord and our God. The patron of the Throat. It was a year ago I saw him face to face for the first time, that he confirmed what I always knew. Mother was dead, father was dead. At least I knew my mother was well spoke of by the God. Maybe that meant she had a special place with him, even in death.

As I join the small group, I listen quietly to all that is said. It is not until the Sultan asks the Diviner about calling the God of the Sun that I speak. "If it is to better the safety of our home and His lands, I can not see why we couldn't try..." My melody of a voice trails off softly, waiting to see what was going to be done.

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

x - x

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

His response was mildly surprising. Although she had never thought Gaucho stupid, she had definitely considered him a slow sort. It wasn't to say he lacked tactic or strategy, on the battlefield few, if any, could compare. Yet a knife is only good for so many things, it can cut, it could shine, and it could dance in its own way, but it could not hold, could not mend, and it could not be diplomatic.

Her lips pursed with thought, amusement tinging her eyes a softer shade of blue. Her heart swelled, easily persuaded by him when he offered surprises like this, but just as easily he crumpled the sensation with the weight of his next words.

Blow up
and
Boats

Those were the words that rung in her mind like a peal of thunder over the sky. Her feathers bristled, wings lifting slightly from her sides on their own accord in an attempt to make herself larger, more confident, less uncertain of all of this. She was quiet, surprisingly, as she chewed on what Gaucho had said, her mind reeling with questions and scenarios. Mostly she was trying to figure out what the hell a damn boat was - a native word of his perhaps, like some of the others he'd let slip by more often lately?

She glanced at Bucephalus, who seemed unperturbed, making her feel foolish. So too did the purple girl seem at ease, and then also the bay stranger. War was her game Ampere could tell at once, watching the way Megaera carried herself and the words she spilled. She was ready to back Gaucho, safety at the forefront of her mind.

All the while Ampere wondered what had happened that made them so doubtful of their current talents. As it was they had so little to guard with this land bridge, compared to some lands. Did Gaucho doubt the skills of his warriors? The thought made Ampere bristle, her teeth grinding with a muffled squeak behind her lips.
Maybe it was her upbringing, raised in the open plains and the wilds where home existed wherever your hooves and your family were, which more often than not was the sky. There was nothing much to guard then, nothing to blow up surely. You fought when you had to, slept when you wanted, and laughed often. It was freedom, impossible to isolate and cage in with safety.

Tandavi slipped in, but her silence made it easy for Ampere to ignore her. "Gaucho," Ampere began slowly, not wishing to excite the herd with her bubbling dismay when so many seemed unruffled. "This will make it harder for us, for our brothers and sisters that don't fly." She glanced at the gathering, gaze resting on Tandavi for several pulses before sliding back to Gaucho. "Boats..." she shook her head, her tongue thick with the strange word. "We don't know boats. What about a bridge, like this, that comes when we ask? Or wings gifted to those that need to cross? Like the other island." Caela Insula had it's floating cloud to lift the flightless, and though Ampere still had her reservations about that place, she was glad for that bit of magic. She had never found the pegasus superior, but she had always pitied the horses grounded - flying was her one stable love and she wanted them to know it.

She still wasn't sure blowing up their land bridge was the best idea, but she couldn't argue that it would make them safer, not so long as there was an easier way for flightless to cross back and forth when necessary. Still, this wouldn't mean they were untouchable. If anything would it make horses on patrol lazier?

Ampere fidgeted with unrest and uncertainty. Land was to be shaped by gods, hearts by mortals.

[BLAH rushed sorry ;-;]

A M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs
[Image: 3999927.png]

[Image: 3999923.png]

[Image: 9e6b3ad4-a8c4-4003-bd66-cb75589c58e6_zps...1415597174]

So the WildFire was amused by his sarcasm. How flattering. Bucephalus couldn't help but flash a grin at his Sultan before it vanished, replaced by sharp interest. Something other than boats? Good thing he'd yet to work with Cera on one. He mulled Gaucho's words over, then the words of others, his mind working. "A bridge could be easily defended should we be attacked, and much easier to monitor those who cannot fly that cross our borders." He said, nodding to Ampere. "Although i think something akin to the Island's clouds would startle many."

He truly did pity those without wings, it felt to him as if they had been passed over in the grandest gift. They would never know the world above, but maybe that was for the best. If they didn't know what they were missing, how could they miss it? "But i agree that boats... probably not the best idea. What would happen should one capsize and throw it's occupants into the sea? They would have a very long swim." Not to mention the sharks. But he thought it best to not voice that particular worry; he didn't even know if sharks patrolled these waters, although given the climate it seemed likely.

Something tickled his leg, however, snapping him from his thoughts and forcing his gaze downward. At his ankle was a little fox...with multiple tails. Ah, there were always new things to see. Bucephalus lowered his head down to the fox, studying it with curious gold eyes before bopping his nose to it's, then raising his head back up, rather amused by the little critter.

Word Count:270 Tags:000

Please tag Bucephalus in all posts.
Any force is allowed against short of death.

Pixel by Aud

Tandavi
She soaks in information like a sponge, trying to make sense of the situation, understand the ideas she's found herself amongst. Boats are still outside her spectrum of knowledge, but bridges she can understand- but why to they need them? They have the yet unfinished wall, surely its completion will not warrant a bridge? The girl is unversed in architecture, but she knows enough to question at the nature of this plan.

She begins to grow uneasy.

Gaucho calls to her, his voice warm and welcoming, but it is not enough to soothe the discontent which grows within her breast. Onyx gaze meets stormy eyes, but the girl hesitates, uncertain of what to do. She has never called the Sun before... and she isn't even sure what they're asking for.

Before words can finally form on her tongue, a voice cuts into the silence, and the girl turns involuntarily in Ampere's direction. She is surprised to meet the blue mare's gaze, and even more surprised when the electric girl gives voice to the concerns Tandavi had not known how to express. For a moment she feels a warm camaraderie, a flicker of the friendship they once nearly shared. It fades quickly and leaves her cold, for she knows they cannot be friends again, not with Ampere so eager to throw away lives in the name of her cause.

She looks away, around the group, and once again is struck by the abundance of pegasai present. The flock, the assortment of wings... she feels naked, cast out. Finally she thinks she understands, and what she understands bothers her deeply. They want to cut the Throat away, to make it so only the winged can pass freely. They want to hide themselves from the world, and they want her to have to beg to come home, when all they need do is fly.

It makes her a little sick. Alija doesn't seem to care. Everyone else present has wings. A gold and black stallion seconds Ampere's request for something other than boats, but the description of capsizing and the sea sets her further on edge, sharpening the anxious anger which flutters in her ear. She begins to feel she made a mistake. That she's a burden, an extra, an unwanted- for if not for those like her, why would they even need a bridge?

Anger and shame burn bright in her eyes, and when she speaks her voice is curt."I will call him," she states, and bites the rest back, because with Ampere as her only advocate, what chance could her cause possibly have? The blue mare's track record was hardly impressive. Besides, this is something she has earned, the honor of being the vessel of the Sun. So long as she could prove worthy of that, the girl would call the Throat her home. So long as her God would have her, she would not let them drive her away.

Long body arcs as she spins away from the group, partially to better speak to the Sun, and partially to hide the anger which clearly rides upon her face. "Sun God. We ask that you share your light with us today, to help us..." the alto voice falters. She swallows. "Help us better defend our home."

@[Random Event]
[ using the Throat's herd champ prize to quest for a magic bridge to their new island! ]
Image Credit

God of the Sun Posts: 198
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the SUN

Burn the whole world down

Tandavi.

The God hears the girl's voice, and the voice of her soul within his vast mind. It makes him smile to hear it, although he is surprised he hasn't heard it sooner. Each encounter with the black-eyed child of light has been pleasant , and at one of their last meetings he even gave her a gift - a flower he could now see that eternally bloomed at the base of her tail. So why had it taken her so long to call to him? Nevertheless she had done so now, and in the service of her family no less. The God was pleased.

The ground began to shake slightly, as light seeped out from between the granules. Slowly the reddish sand began to pull together and form a shape, growing less red and more golden as the structure took form. Elegantly long legs, a svelte and lean body, wings that began to drip with molten fire as soon as the sands composed them, and finally a handsome and stern looking facing. As soon as the bust of the God was finished the sand fell away, leaving only the breathing golden body. Kind burning eyes fell first upon Tandavi, his warmth seeping into her thoughts and mind.

"Tandavi." He breathed, the word laced with joy as he took a step towards her, focusing all of his attention upon her for the moment. He could tell she was troubled, and the worries in her mind came to him easily and understandably. Closing his eyes he exhaled slightly with the burden of her concerns, opening his mind to others around and sensing the same worries. As his molten gaze opened and fell upon Gaucho, the Sun God snorted softly shaking his antlered head. The brute hadn't done a very good job explaining himself ... although that was never truly his area of specialty. Where was Sohalia in all of this? The white one usually spoke for him in instances such as this ... Frowning, the God regarded each member of his herd who had gathered, nodding to each in turn, leaving his last stare for Gaucho. He was glad that the Sultan had come to his senses about boats, even before he had begun his quest. It showed more forethought than the God thought the brute possessed. "Boats were an archaic idea Gaucho. I'm glad you've rethought this plan before setting it into motion. "

Moving to the side slightly so that he could address the group as a whole, the God first turned to Tandavi. "You are right, Tavi-" He began softly, pulling the thoughts from her mind and addressing them with a paternal warmth. "The winged out number the flightless here. They do not need boats or bridges, for they have been gifted with flight. Land has never been something that can isolate them. And yet-" Sweeping his wing to indicate those with wings and how many there were, "-yet they concern themselves with boats and bridges anyways. Do you know why they do this?" A handsome and reassuring smile lit his golden features as his antlered head lowered. "They do it for you. Gaucho came to me with a plan, a poor one I must admit, but a plan nonetheless. A plan that would not begin unless you were accounted for." Raising his muzzle, he looked to Alija as well. "Wingless or not you are a part of this herd. You are not being excluded because you do not have wings. All of this is being done for you. You have not been forgotten or cast aside, but have taken center stage."

With another warm smile, the God's attention turned to Ampere. He frowned momentarily as he considered her suggestion of a magic bridge. The twitch of his lips was not out of disappointment, quite the opposite. The girl was a good leader - he couldn't understand why she had fled rather than ruled. Snorting softly, his head nodded. "A bridge of this sort sounds appropriate. One that lets those without wings fly from one side to another, guided by the suns fire and light. Are you all in agreement?"

CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho liked Ampere's suggestion. He hadn't even considered the magic that allowed access to the new sky Island - why would he? He had never used it, always having flown. Just as he would likely never use the boats. It was this inability to truly place himself in the shoes of his non-flighted family that was proving to be his downfall. Gaucho didn't know what it was to have to run instead of fly, didn't know what it would be like to be further hindered in a home filled with those who could go anywhere they chose.

"Yes. That better than boats." He agreed, never elaborating on what a boat was as no one had asked. The idea did seem foolish to him now, hopelessly primitive. His dark gaze faltered slightly as he winced. Gaucho was never one to ask for help, in his domain he never needed to. But now, realizing that he needed others the Wildfire felt small and weak. He was here to lead and protect him, and for some reason the thought of also needing them made him feel as though he wasn't fully bearing the responsibilities of his title.

Gaucho can't read the agitation and frustration in Tandavi's tone or gaze. He doesn't understand it. This whole talk of boats and bridges was for their sake. It would be easier to just kick them all out - make the herd almost exclusively for those who could touch the sky, as it had been during Kri's reign. But they were family. Was he the only one who thought so? It felt that way. Everything he did, he did for them. Every time he trained, patrolled, communed with the Sun God was for the sake of a herd that he would give his life for. And yet he was constantly met with resistance and doubt at each turn. Why? Why were they so quick to doubt and judge him? It was as though they viewed the Throat as a something they were entitled to, and he simply the management that kept things running. Perhaps that is why they threw complaints and glares his way, rather than trying to be understanding, asking questions, and trying to see the big picture. Although it might be an unfair characterization of the herd as a whole, certainly it felt that way.

Tavi's curtness caused Gaucho's dark ears to fall backwards slightly, although he was glad that she called out to their deity. As the Sun God appeared, Gaucho dipped his nose in reverence though raised it quickly, eager to hear what their lord would decree.

As the God addressed him, calling his original idea archaic, the Wildfire winced. He knew that it was more than true now, but at the time it had seemed simplistic in its design. All Gaucho had known was boats, that was the only means of ferrying things across the sea. He should have known Helovia would have been different. However darkened his mind felt, it was relieved as the God continued to speak, putting words to the thoughts that tumbled in his mind. He nodded along eagerly as the Sun God spoke of Gaucho's motives, although was disheartened to learn that the non-flighted members of his family thought they had been disadvantaged. It was as the Sun God said - all of this was precisely for them.

"Yes. " Gaucho confirmed, looking to the rest of his herd to confirm Ampere's suggestion.

This would be the magic I think?

[Magic: FirexLight :: Magical bridge that transports creatures from the shores of the Throat Beach/Heart caves (basically where Gaucho blows it up) to the Throat. Transportation is provided by flaming wings, that while magical in nature, give the transportee the feeling of flight.]
::[Restrictions: Those utilizing the "bridge" will have no way to control it (they cannot try to alter their path in the air). The Bridge is password protected telepathically.]

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
The longer Megaera listened, the more agitated she became, and fir reasons she couldn’t quite place. Ampere’s suggestion didn’t make any sense to her, magic wasn’t the forst thing that came to her mind when solving problems and she hadn’t seen the clouds at the floating isle. “Bridge? We have a bridge of rock and sand that serves well enough if that would be our course.” She said, flicking he head towards the land bridge she had just crossed. “The one that the waters left can be guarded just as well as any that we might build. And even if it can hold off the Basin’s unicorns, what of pegasai that we might want to keep from our borders? I know as well as anyone that wings don’t make an ally.”

She spoke to Gaucho, and though her words might be bold, her voice held a bit of hesitancy. It went against the grain to speak so to him. Soldier she was and it was a soldier’s place to agree with her commander, and Meg held her Sultan in higher a regard than even on as great as he might have objectively warranted. Even Meg couldn’t quite place why she was faltering in her resolve to cut off the Throat. The puzzlement showed on her face, Why would any action to guard their home not be automatically be the right thing to do? Why would they hesitate? She turned her head to take her gaze from the golden girl and back to the others… and it clicked.

Wings. She saw, one, two, three, four, five pairs including her own, and there sat the Oracle, unadorned. Shame coursed through Megaera. In her ‘warrior mode’ she’d spoken what she’d believed, the Throat must be protected, but she might have spoken to soon and her words had been callous. She glanced back toward Tandavi, who stood, clearly distressed and angry, with all eyes on her, and suddenly to Meg it seemed a line had been drawn and the golden girl stood alone on the other side.

Meg knew what it was to be alone, to be singled out and shamed for no reason that she had any modicum of control over. Her wings, so precious to her, had meant her freedom, but before she’d escaped her birthplace her brothers had kept them plucked and bruised and bitten. The memories flicked through her mind as Meg stood there, staring at the Oracle, eyes wide and ears pinned back in her distress. The Diviner was only a girl, near enough the age that Meg had been when she’d left her birthplace, and even that had been not so very long ago. And Megaera had just aided in her verbal exclusion.

She opened he mouth to say… something. An apology? A defense? But before she knew how to start, Tandavi wheeled away from the group. Meg surged forward at that, crossing that line in her mind, and went after the Diviner. Her swift footfalls stopped a half step behind as she called out to their god. Megaera thought about reaching out but she knew that anger rarely accepted a gesture like that easily. She spoke instead, only to this mare she’d never met, and her voice was quiet. “I apologize. I spoke without consideration.” It sounded feeble to her ears, but she wasn’t all that experienced in peacemaking. “The Sun God will guide us. We should hear his council be for we act.”

Even as Meg spoke, the Sun God was before them, all fire and sand and light. The warrior bent her head low as the God spoke and listened attentively as he spoke. The God expressed what she had not, this was a family, even if their bonds were new and untested, and she would have no part in excluding or mistreating any of their number. She followed the deity’s gaze back toward the others and nodded in agreement when Gaucho answered.

Notes: Tacked the end on quickly after Aud snuck in there, so it ends a bit abruptly xD

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Tandavi
In the moments before He appears she can feel His warmth, the presence of him burning away the discomfort which knots so tight in her belly. Behind her, she can hear Megaera's voice; but the bay barely registers in the chestnut's mind, for it is too full of the vibrant, searing affection of her God. A smile cracks the inky lips, lifting their edges out of shadow; she cannot help but beam at him, delighted in the way he breathes her voice. Maybe all her family is gone, and maybe she feels alone in her home, but so long as the Sun shines down on her the girl knows she can fight on and be brave.

Dark eyes flicker away before returning to the Sun, ears turning back only briefly to follow the fleeting conversation behind her. Her brother leaves the gold-dusted stallion, moving to stand at his sister's hooves; he brushes Meg with a single tail, a reassurance to someone kind, a bridge built where the girl does not know one needs to be made. Have to be nice to make friends, he points out, but he knows his rebukes fall on deaf ears. The copper filly has never fully understood social graces, and even without the distraction of the Sun God, would likely not grasp the offer of camaraderie her herdmate had so graciously voiced.

The pleasure of hearing a nickname so often used by family is marred by her confused chagrin at the palomino's words. Chastised, the girl dips her head, hiding troubled black eyes behind a silver forelock. The bridge is for her, she knows now, and for all of them; but she still feels alone, self-conscious, singled out in a sea of souls as one of these things is not like the others. Gold-slashed head nods, a humble acceptance of the Sun's reprimand (for how could she be angry, in the warmth of his light?), but the girl cannot help sink deeper into her shell. She did not wish to take center stage in this.

But if it can bring to their attention the separation of her and others, maybe, maybe, it is worth it after all.

She raises her eyes as his gaze leaves hers, shifting anxiously upon the sand. Wings- "Oh, yes," she breathes before she can stop it, delight bubbling through her at the idea of flying. Could they really fly? Again, she can feel her anxiety fall away, replaced with excitement at this new idea. Flight, guided by the light and the fire of the Sun- it is one of her dearest childhood dreams, the source of much envy as she watched her cousins learn to master their draconic wings.

There is a question unasked, and she realizes suddenly that the lips it should fall from are, perhaps, hers. "What must we do?" her deep alto queries, childish hope mixed in with the remnants of distress, determination gilding its edges as her brother reminds her of responsibility, of the honor bestowed on them and the duty they have to uphold it. You're right, she tells him through the bond of their minds. I have to be brave- to be a leader.

But... I don't know if I can.

Image Credit

Coiled tight like a spring Ampere stands ready to be assaulted for her voice. She was well accustomed to it by now, opening her mouth and assaulted for it, but it did not come this time. There were some flickers of disagreement, but no outrage at her own, no hooves or lash of tongues. She breathed a sigh of relief, even wearing a tentative smile when others voices started to lift with ideas or agreement.

The moment of calm was not one long to last however; such is life.

A step or two was taken back as the earth began to quiver, Ampere's feathers fluffing in response to the abrupt change, instinct making her ready rather than rational. When the sand began to gather though, and given what Tandavi had just spoken, Ampere knew what came, though it did not ease her tension any further.

God of the Sun.

Several more steps were taken back until she bumped into someone. She couldn't afford to glance back, but she wanted to melt behind whoever it was. The herd meeting he'd been summoned to had been large enough, her presence easily overlooked, but she feared that her she would finally be cornered by the god's wrath. Her own anger had grown stale over time, the slighted egg easily forgotten among the assortment of other, more pressing worries that plagued Ampere.

Such as an angry deity.

He appeared no less magnificent than before. As always she was struck by his warmth and his unearthly beauty. Unbidden she remembered what it was like to feel him, but that night had been tainted by so many other feelings that its joy was quickly desaturated. She shook her head, chasing it and all its ghosts away.

He spoke to Tandavi, and his eyes swept the crowd. She wanted to shrink away from him, but his stare was brief, settling on Gaucho whom he addressed more fully. Ampere let out her breath, suddenly starving for oxygen, unaware she'd been holding it for so long. She gasped loudly, which invoked another wave of shame to drench her. She tried to back up further, still blocked by something, or someone.

Yet... the more the god stood there, the longer she was not burnt. Perhaps his plan was to completely ignore her? No she thought, decisive with that one thing. The God of the Sun was not one to punish lightly; mind games were those played by his siblings, he took pride in his work, for better or for worse, and he would see that those he touched knew it. If his wrath endured, she would have been engulfed already. It was probably too much to assume he had forgiven her, but he continued to let her thrive in his land, and that she supposed, was enough.

She relaxed, even when his stare did at last linger on her, a frown marring his brilliance. She averted her gaze, unable to withstand the intensity and the weight.

"Agree," she murmured under her breath.

A M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

God of the Sun Posts: 198
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the SUN

Burn the whole world down

The God of the Sun watching in amusement at how many dissenting voices turned once his presence lauded the idea. Lemmings. Sheep. So many of them willing to forfeit their own fears in the face of a god. Part of him was flattered, but mostly, he was disappointed. A strong voice in the sea of followers stands out in a proud way, one that he would be glad to honor. Still, enough had been wise to nix the entire concept of boats, which he was glad for. Crafting boats was not on his list of better acts of power.

At least more than one agreed with the option he gave, though he supposed they had little choice in the matter. Few could refute the wisdom in fortifying their own herd, though his bother's subjects hardly seemed the type to go rampaging across Helovia, again. Regardless, a few strong battles did the body and spirit good. What was life without a little challenge?

Right now, they were setting the stage for the future, making moves with their pawns before unleashing the crowns. What must they do indeed for such a stunning, magical creation? Hm? "Go to each of the herds in Helovia and bring me something made by their crafters," he said finally, his words firm. "We shall fortify the bridge with strength from all. Next, you must bring me fire from the Heart of Helovia. One flame will do. Finally, I will need a stone from the bottom of the blood pool in the Deep Forest."

The Sun God looked around at the small gathering. "I care not who completes which task, but have Tandavi summon me once it is all completed."

He stood, a proud spire of power in the desert sands, unperturbed by the heat and bright. The Sun God was strong, merciful in some ways and cruel in others. But here, among those who chose to live beneath his might, he showed kindness. They were his subjects and he was their ruler, their protector. And, protect them he would. "I will linger for a while longer, in case you have need." The god strode easily toward the oasis, looking at the water as deep thoughts ran through his ancient mind.

----------------------------------------------------

The bridge itself would actually be a herd item, not magic :) So that will just become part of the land itself in the land description.

As for who can cross, I think it would be better if each character had an item or token that would summon the bridge. Maybe a glorified sun amulet that your crafter can make for each new character.

CREDITS