the Rift

[OPEN] A Whiter Shade of Pale.

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable

Winter is not the time for adventuring, and oh, had she learned it the hard way. She’d flown west at the beginning of the season in hopes of finding home when a storm had hit and had blown her hopelessly off course. Nasreen is paying for her foolishness now; for though she is lucky that she is still in Helovia, she will have to make much of the journey back to the Edge by foot. And in these conditions…well, it’s all less than ideal, she thinks, sighing as she plunges a hoof into the wet snow for what seems like the ten thousandth time.

As she trudges through the forest, the girl distracts herself by humming a little tune, an old Th’orquian standard that had been quite popular at festivals back home. Oh, how she misses them! Not just the music, but the dancing, and the laughter…The princess closes her eyes, remembering how they had braided her hair with flowers and taught her and Ishtar to dance. Ishtar hadn’t been too good at it, but she—well, she hadn’t been too good at it either, a fact that probably still holds true since at the moment she nearly runs into a tree with her eyes closed. She snaps out of her daydream, instinctively looking around to see if anyone noticed her embarrassing gaffe. But the woods are silent, as always. Her ears loll to the side, and she lowers gray eyes. What she wouldn’t give now for her siblings’ teasing laughter.

The winged mare continues on, picking her way through the trees. When she first hears the snatches of song, she thinks she must be dreaming. Drowsily, she blinks, but when she lifts her head to shake the sleepiness from her eyes, she hears it again.

Danced through castles made of stone, walked the desert sands alone…

Ears pricked, she follows the sound.

Darkest hour you feel the power, as the sun rises aga--

Just as she approaches a break in the trees, the tune stops. But Nasreen does not notice right away, for a small gasp escapes her lips: she has discovered the Rotunda. Stained glass casts rainbows onto the snow outside, and the shadows of the branches in the wind make them flicker like playful flames in the ice. Yet the branches aren’t the only shadows that interrupt the light: a winged figure paces within. Before she has time to be startled, the song begins again:

I've been here for a million years
Through the joys, through the tears
But when i am gone this will go on
And the circle starts again.

This time, she hears hooves on stone, and transfixed, she watches as the shadow begins to dance. And in that moment, captivated by beauty and curiosity, the princess comes dangerously close to desire. It is a strange and foreign feeling, for the girl has been just that—a girl, too young to understand the workings of the world, much less a slippery thing like this feeling of softness and wanting. It surprises her a little, but it is not an unpleasant feeling, and she does not care to ruin it by overthinking. Overthinking is what made Ishtar a clumsy dancer, she remembers, and she will not do the same with this…whatever this is. Oh Nasreen, if only she remembered what made her a poor dancer: she did not lack in jubilance, but while Ishtar was prone to overthinking, she did not think at all. Like a sleepwalker deep in dream, Nasreen draws forward, stepping into the clearing. If she can only peek in the door of the Rotunda and see who it is…

But the dancer beats her to the punch. Quite suddenly, a dark head emerges, and a voice rings out. “Oh, hello there…Adelis, yes?” Adelis? Startled, Nasreen looks around, and rather belatedly realizes that indeed, another mare stands off to the side. “Oh!” she mutters, flustered, refolding her wings awkwardly. She notices that her copper feathers seem to be oddly ruffled, and hastily, she tries to smooth them. “I—um, I’m sorry. My apologies, I didn’t mean to interrupt!”

OOC: Hope you both don’t mind me plopping Nasreen in here!

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Messages In This Thread
A Whiter Shade of Pale. - by Adelis - 11-24-2014, 03:24 AM
RE: A Whiter Shade of Pale. - by Bucephalus - 11-25-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: A Whiter Shade of Pale. - by Nasreen - 11-30-2014, 03:34 PM
RE: A Whiter Shade of Pale. - by Nasreen - 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM
RE: A Whiter Shade of Pale. - by Bucephalus - 12-09-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: A Whiter Shade of Pale. - by Adelis - 01-07-2015, 04:36 AM