the Rift

[PRIVATE] Save Me, Tales of the Broken

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor the Gentle Heart

Pain shuddered through my back like an electric shock. It pooled deep in my gut before surging toward the surface and upwards still until it seared through my flesh like a mighty thunderbolt. A weak, trembling cry forced itself from my lips against my desperate attempts to keep it contained like a dog on its chain. It snarled and snapped against my spine until teeth, so razor sharp, broke the sensitive skin along my shoulders. I tried to fight the buckling of my legs and the breaking of my resolve but a black smoke, so thick that I was nearly blinded by it, poured outward around me until I was eclipsed by my emotions and the pain and the memories and the brokenness. It spilled from me like sin being purged in confession, even if words could not find their way to my lips. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry… My thoughts reeled endlessly around the sentiment until it was the only thing left, the only thing I could feel any longer.

A weight, yet unfamiliar to me, began to bear down upon my back like the swift hands of the Gods. I tried to stand tall, tried to regain myself as I’d tried to do so many times before but the putrid scent of the fog and the murky feel of its fingers forced me into submission. Down, upon my knees, I fell. My haunches locked, hoping to keep me adrift but the force persisted until they were strained and shaking beneath me, until I could hold on no longer. Each muscle pleaded for forgiveness as they gave way, bringing my body to the earth with a resonating crash. They’d given up. I’d given up. The pain took over until I had to close my eyes to it for fear that the tears would flow freely and drown me in my own sorrows.

The grief and the agony went on for what felt like hours. Each new wave ripped through me until the day had passed into night, though I couldn’t open my eyes to witness it for myself. A sickness befell me sometime late in the eve. I was certain that my throat had grown parched and swollen to keep my stomach from heaving itself onto the icy ground beneath my face, but it never came. Daggers of sharp, searing misery tore through my shoulder blades and the ice at my back did little to numb the throb of defeat that infected the wound. I tried to distract myself from the torture but the only thing that I could picture was Tamira and her cruel smile… Tamira? Was it- No. Myriad… The harlot who whispered velvet words so sweetly into my virgin ears; her soft lips brushing against my affections until I was meant to implode.

And implode I did.

A scream found its way once more past my cracked lips. Spittle and dirt muddied my face and hid all of my former glory behind a wall of shame so barbed and callous that I would never be able to reach it again. Yet, the pain and the torment continued. It had taken everything from me, taken all that I knew and spiked it with the most dizzying drug we often called life. I spun and rolled from reality into a world so surreal that I if I were more foolish I would have believed myself dead...

Then I thought of Essetia.

But her memory did little to dull the ripping of skin. Her memory did little to hide to cracking of bone. Her memory did little to silence my screams as they were ripped from me, torn straight from my spine and thrown away to the brittle wind. My wings- they were finally taken from me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

When I awoke, there was no pain, no agony… just grogginess. Drowsily I rose to my feet and with great effort I was able to steady myself enough to recognize the silhouettes of the tree line in the Edge. Slowly, I glanced around with tired eyes that were meant to tell my story but could not. They did not see what my mind had created, did not see the flesh and the blood, did not see the smoke as it clouded my judgment… Instead, they saw the coming of nightfall as it draped down around me like a comforting cloak. They saw the dim horizon as it fell away slowly with the sun. I trembled slightly trying to recall what had happened or if it were real… but alas, nothing solidified any of what I’d gone through. I shook with a new anger and strength that had been restrained behind barriers made of insecurity for far too long. I shook swiftly in order to rid myself of the nightmare and its lingering hold on my heart only to hear an off-beat thud- thud.

When I jerked around to see if I had in fact been right about the smoke and the pain and the torture… I saw what appeared to be two frail, chipped wingspans, still too small for a stallion of my size. I gasped, my breath stolen from my lungs and unable to breathe. A single thought managed to pass through my empty mind, one that took me by surprise. Evangeline.

Evangeline… Eva… Eva!” My cries carried to the heavens in hopes that she would hear, that she would see, that she would find me. Though doubt and confusion sullied my sense of well-being, I knew one thing for certain- I needed that mare like anything on this earth needed life. I would have her, hold her, instill her in my heart. She would be mine.

She she was the only thing I still knew existed in my life anymore.

Go on, save yourself
@[Evangeline]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

'Hear that?' Tallis asked as he sat perched on Evangeline's back, acting as a look out as she pawed away snow in search of a few morsels of grass to eat. "No. What was it?" She could hear very little over the crunching snow under her hooves. 'Voice.' Tallis responded. 'Calling for you.' This made Evangeline lift her head and look to the dragon on her back. "You're sure?" She asked, making the dragon nod his scaled head. 'Call Evangeline! Eva!' He repeated, making her frown deepen a touch. It was not uncommon for her to be called upon, Kahlua and Kaj had done it several times before, but they usually arrived shortly after. "Who was it? Do you know?" Tallis shook his head. 'Voice familiar. Can't place.' "I suppose we should go look?" As she posed her question she could feel Tallis' disapproval settle over her like a thick blanket of snow on the ground. 'Could be trap.' He warned. "Or it could be someone that needs help." She said as she turned her body in the direction Tallis was staring. "We cannot just ignore someone in need of help." Tallis grumbled quietly, knowing that his bonded had already made her decision and there was nothing he could do to change her mind.

Evangeline made as little noise as possible as she moved through the trees that were becoming increasingly familiar as the days wore on. 'Don't like this.' Tallis hissed. 'Dark out. Cold. Its trap.' Evangeline sighed. "If its a trap then you can tell me 'I told you so' after." The dragon was not consoled by Eva's words, but was put more on edge by her blatant disregard of his warning. "Come now, Tallis." She murmured. "Who else knows my name besides the ones that live right here in the Edge?" The dragon was quiet for a moment before speaking again. 'Basin.' Eva rolled her eyes. "We have an agreement of peace." She reminded the dragon, who merely snorted. 'No alliance. Only agreement.' He pointed out, and she knew that he was right. "I'm going to exercise a little thing called trust." She said. "I know I have not done that much before, but now is as good a time as any."

Finally realizing that he would not win the argument Tallis remained silent. Rather than move to his usual spot on Evangeline's neck he turned and sat so he could watch behind them because he did not trust that it wasn't a trap like she did. Even as time dragged on and no monster leaped from the dark to try and devour them whole he stayed vigilant. Tallis the Vigilant. It had a nice ring to it, he thought.

With the dragon finally preoccupied with his own thoughts of a title for himself Evangeline could relax a little and wonder over who had called for her. If it had been Kaj she would have known, Tallis knew their king's voice. The same went for Kahlua. She only walked a few more minutes before a shape loomed before her in the growing darkness. "Hello?" She called, her head tilting. Her pace slowed, but she did not stop. Something made her keep walking even as apprehension began to coil within her chest.

"Thor?" Clouds blotted out the moonlight so she could just barely make out the features of his face. For a moment she considered calling out Archibald's name, but even with the sparse light she could not make out any white markings on his body. Evangeline drew closer and breathed in his scent, mixed with that of ... decay? "Thor?" Her voice was tentative. The clouds shifted, allowing the moonlight to escape and bathe the world in its silvery glow. '...wings.' Tallis' voice broke through and she looked to Thor's shoulders, finding them absent of the small wings. For whatever reason she looked to the ground, finding the small, frail things laying there. Her emerald gaze snapped back to Thor's face, a worried frown settling itself on her lips. "What happened to you?"

"."

@[Thor]

autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower

Thor the Gentle Heart

Deep blues and opaque blacks washed across the thawing ground at my feet like colorless waves made of the midnight oil. The moon’s face was hidden behind a thin veil of clouds and her light drifted down to the earth in weak shafts of white lace. The quiet was heavy and weighed greatly on my heart as I stood waiting for words in the night that I feared would never come. So when they did, I was struck with shock and grief so deep that I failed to find response. She’d come… Evangeline had come. Those emerald eyes still shone through the shadows of the night as she emerged from the darkness with Tallis perched atop her rump in unusual fashion. “I’m here,” I choked out hesitantly. I felt weak from sleep and anxiety but above all else, I was devastated that the day had finally come. The Steppe had fulfilled its mission to rob me of the one thing that had once bound me to my own humility. Nothing was left but a growing sense of detachment that I was unsure if I would ever recover from. My world had come spiraling down around me as it had so many times before, but this time the pain was unfeeling. I had nothing left to give.

As if in slow motion, I watched as the glint of moonlight in Eva’s eyes fell down, down, down to the pieces of my body I’d shed. It was a queer sensation to see the barren bones scattered upon the dirty snow all alone. They were cracked and browned in places, as they had been exposed to the elements over the course of a few weeks. I couldn’t find anything to say that would justify what Evangeline now saw lying before her so I ignored the onslaught of emotion in favor of drawing her close. “Eva,” I murmured. “Illness has taken them… ” I finished quietly. I feared that my very life would be stolen from beneath my own nose and without anyone else, no one else to care about me or my wellbeing, I had turned to Evangeline seeking security.

With slow, tentative steps I approached the mare and her reptilian guard. I sought to feel her warmth against my skin and within my soul. She possessed a fire strong enough to thaw my heart of ice… I was no longer a young stallion and my legacy had ended all too abruptly but that didn’t mean that my life stopped too. I had released my memories to the Edge so that she might harbor them and keep them alive, but I did not want to remember anymore. I wanted to live.

I was attacked in the Steppe, but it was not like anything I’ve witnessed before… It was so surreal Eva. It was a dark magic, whatever it was. Not long after, my wings became infected,” I lamented. The words didn’t seem real as they found their way to my tongue. But the images were too vivid as they reeled quickly from one moment to another across the empty plains of my mind. “I didn’t think it would lead to this… I’m not sure how to feel,” I added weakly. Quietly, I invited the mare closer in hopes that she would respond as positively as I hoped. Evangeline was the only soul I’d learned to trust fully since Tamira’s death and I hoped that she remained as such.

Go on, save yourself
@[Evangeline]

Outcast

Illness? Eva wondered what sort of illness could possibly affect only Thor's wings, make them rot and decay and fall from his body without affecting any other part of him. As he spoke she found herself looking at them again, studying them, wondering if he had been cursed rather than wracked with an illness. At one time she would have scoffed at the idea of curses and the like, but that was before shades had driven her from Isilme, before the sun wraiths overran Helovia, and before snakes had fallen from the sky and begun devouring themselves. Yes, maybe he had been cursed. Or maybe she was just being completely irrational because no matter how much she thought back over what she'd learned when she had been a healer she could not remember an illness that would affect only Thor's wings.

She held her ground as Thor stepped closer, unconcerned that if he really were ill that he might be contagious. The closer he got the more clearly she could see the lines on his face, the exhaustion in his eyes, and her heart hurt for him. It was an unsettling feeling to be so concerned with another's well-being that was not her own or Tallis'. "Tallis." The dragon chirped in response as she said his name. "Gather some firewood. Its going to keep getting colder and we'll need to keep warm." She wished with everything she had that the edge had at least one cave that they would be able to hide out in until daylight, but she was not that lucky.

Eva watched Tallis as he flew off, but her gaze quickly fell back to Thor as he spoke. She twitched nervously as he explained what had happened and it only strengthened her irrational belief that he had been cursed. "...like what happened to us." She murmured. "With the snakes ... and the mist." Only they had been lucky then and had not been cursed or contracted whatever 'illness' Thor had.

“I didn’t think it would lead to this… I’m not sure how to feel,”

Evangeline frowned. "You did not let your wings define you before, don't let your lack of them define you now. You are still Thor." She lifted her muzzle to touch Thor's then stepped closer and angled her body so that her side and his chest were perpendicular. "You look exhausted." Eva murmured. "You should rest your head until Tallis returns."

"."

Credits

Thor the Gentle Heart

Emerald waves danced across my vision as I lost myself in Evangeline’s evident concern. She did not run from me, did not shy… She was an image of strength and beauty. I wondered what kind of leader she might be now and if she felt herself prepared for the role after growing into what I believed to be a powerful mare. I thought back to her admissions to me only a short time ago… She had been thrust from her home by shades in her life prior to Helovia, but a small part of my selfish heart was glad she had ended up here, with me. At times I wondered if she could see the greed in my eyes and the way I couldn’t keep them away from her. Try as I might, the thought of her sent my heart racing and my skin trembling; I was nervous.

I’d forgotten what it felt like to admire another as much I did Eva. She was everything I’d once imagined in my equal… Funny how I could distract myself with ideas of her in such pressing times of need. I’d almost forgotten why I’d called for her until she was instructing Tallis to gather wood for a fire. “You don’t have to do that,” I sighed. “I’ll be fine.

Afterward, I tried to draw her gaze back to my own in order to drown myself in the green I’d find there. It was strange how the heat of a fire was so integral to our meetings… Flames, heat, and warmth… no wonder Eva had left such an endearing mark on my heart. Her mere presence brought a light to my dark life.

However after sharing my memories of the Steppe, I instantly regretted worrying the mare with my adventures. It had dredged up painful memories that plagued not only her mind but my own as well. “It was different… more violent and exact. It was as if- as if I was a target. A thick, black smoke rolled in from the mountains and suffocated me Eva. I’m lucky to be alive right now- it could have taken much more than my wings and I know that. But… I- I just don’t know how to feel right now.” The pain was evident in my voice as I attempted to turn away from her in order to hide my fear. I was not a fearful creature but there were something things that I couldn’t keep from affecting me.

But, as always, Evangeline knew exactly what to say in order to soothe my anxious heart. I knew there was goodness in her soul that urged her to comfort me but a deep, residing longing wanted it to be more than that. I wanted her to care for me… as more than a friend, as more than some sorrowful charity case in need of her attention.

The frustration I’d been feeling bubbled up from my gut and I tried to hide it from her but I was unable to contain the emerging frown that touched my hardened lips. “I know that Eva… I do. But that doesn’t change what happened to me and the fact that I couldn’t do anything to stop it.” A soft, callous laugh chased after the words as they fluttered coarsely in the wind. “I don’t want to be known for my gentleness. I want to be known for my strength and tenacity,” I flushed. My eyes sought her face once more but they closed quickly as her soft muzzle found my own. She drove me wild… she did. How could I make a point with her touching me like that?

The anger I’d felt washed away only to be replaced with a cold desire for her warmth. I couldn’t help but watch her curiously as she shifted away from me, simultaneously making me cringe and marvel at the same time. What was she doing? As she moved closer once again to allow me a chance to rest my head across her back, I couldn’t help the foolish smile that forced its way toward victory across my face. “I certainly can’t say no to that…” I boasted delightedly. Softly, I stepped into her side before lowering my nose to her withers. Cautiously, I traced her spine with bated breath before finally draping my neck along her back. She smelled of autumn leaves and fresh air… she smelled like home.

Go on, save yourself
@[Evangeline]

Outcast

"You don't have to do that. I'll be fine."

"The fire is not only for you." Evangeline answered back. There was a part of her that was terrified to be stuck in the dark, especially after the incident with the snakes and the mist. She knew in the back of her mind that the fire would more than likely do them no good because not even dragon fire had been able to burn the mist away and make it dissipate. But light brought comfort and a sense of security and that was what she craved even more than the warmth the fire would provide. "I want light." She murmured. "I need it. There has to be light."

Tallis reappeared and dropped a bundle of sticks and twigs near Eva and Thor then disappeared again to gather more. "Quickly." She urged the dragon as the night grew darker and more threatening. She thought for a moment that she was being paranoid and perceiving threats in the shadows where there were none, but as Thor began to speak of the black smoke suffocating him she thought that her growing paranoia was justified. Her ears tilted back as he continued on about his experience and she knew that he was right. He was lucky that it had not taken his life instead of a pair of feathery appendages. Eva's heart thumped heavily and her throat constricted almost painfully as she thought of him losing his life instead of just his wings. It was startling to feel such a way after having been alone for so long. She had told herself several times since joining the Edge that she would do her job, but she would not let anyone in and she'd not been able to do it. She'd let Kaj and Kahlua in, had begun to care for them like she'd cared for Roanne and Ruske. And now Thor had managed to weasel his way into her heart.

Another bundle of sticks were dropped on the ground near them and the orange dragon landed and took several seconds to assemble them into something that didn't resemble only a haphazard pile of sticks. Once he had it assembled the way he wanted he lit the fire then disappeared once more to gather more sticks. The tension that had gathered in Eva's muscles began to ease as the fire flickered and chased away a good bit of the darkness. Her gaze fell to it and she watched it as Thor responded to what she said about his wings defining him. She snorted and frowned, shook her head then looked back at Thor. "So what are you going to do?" She asked. "Feel sorry for yourself because you couldn't stop it? Let it break you? Let it win?" Yes, she was scared of whatever it was. And, yes, she she lived in an almost constant state of paranoia, especially when darkness crept in, but she wanted to fight it. She wanted to make it go away because she didn't want to be chased from another home.

Home. When had she started to think of Helovia as home?

“I don’t want to be known for my gentleness. I want to be known for my strength and tenacity,”

"But you're the GentleHeart." Evangeline said, her gaze softening as she looked at Thor. "It takes more strength to be kind to someone undeserving of it than to fight them." She wondered if he would disagree with her and put more value on physical strength. The orange mare could go on a tirade about the importance of kindness and gentleness, but rather than get on her soapbox and preach she did Thor the kindness of allowing him to rest his head across her back while Tallis continued to gather firewood and stoke the fire. She felt his muzzle bump against her withers and thought nothing of it, but when it began to move along her back she wondered if he would notice the shiver that she tried to suppress.

Credits

Thor the Gentle Heart

It is silly of me to think Evangeline anything like Tamira; she is too strong willed and self-motivated. Both things make me wonder how such a creature came into existence. But as I watch the fear curl her lips and crease the soft skin between her eyes, I cannot help but feel as though I must soothe her. Nightmares from the past have come to plague her waking thoughts but instead of mere unconscious believing, I know all too well of the terrors she speaks of. I nod slowly, my eyes never leaving her as if I am simply unable to peel myself away. Her flesh trembles and shifts across finely sculpted muscle and though I am tempted to reach for it, run a velveteen muzzle along her length, I refrain. “Then there will be light, don’t worry,” I murmured quietly.

I felt somehow responsible for her unease and though no amount of coddling could calm her restless heart, I felt it my duty to try. However, with the return of Tallis, I was suddenly nervous. I watched distractedly as he meddled with a few misshapen sticks until he was able to light them with flame. As the fire came to life and cast an orange glow along the thawing soil, I looked up into Evangeline’s emerald gaze.

When had we gotten here?

Though silence had once again pervaded our company, Eva picked up the conversation where I’d abandoned it some time ago in favor of admiring her flawless beauty. But of course, she was as stubborn and hard-headed as ever before. Her prodding served to stir my resolve where it had frozen somewhere in the depths of my heart. “I plan… to recover. You’re right; I can’t run from it, whatever it is. But you know what it’s like Eva, after all you’re dealing with that fear as well. Tell me… what is your plan?” I sought her eyes and her answer with a vigor I hadn’t felt in what felt quite some time. I wanted to meld into her thoughts and find, with certainty, all that she chose to hide from me.

The earth had finally started to unfreeze around us and vivid color flooded my senses. “I don’t want to use my strength to fight. I want to make a difference and by the grace of the good Gods, I’ll do it. I used to stand for something and now everything I know has grown stagnant and grey. I’m tired of standing still when all I want to do is run and feel again,” I urged more seriously.

Be mine, dammit. Give me the chance to breathe again.

With my face at her back now, her withers fit snugly beneath my throat, I tried to imagine a time I’d felt so uninhibited. She had given me so much in such a short amount of time- her friendship, her loyalty, and her confidence. I reached up to tug softly at her flaxen locks as they drifted down along her shoulder. I felt as though I had fallen into a drunken stupor, so tired and relaxed now that my adrenaline had faded and gone. My body was heavy and slack and though I tried to shuffle in order to rest back onto my haunches, it was difficult to maneuver comfortably astride The Pure. “When was the last time you truly felt Evangeline?

Lifting my face up and away from the elegant dip that swayed back into her hips, I instantly regretted the loss of her warmth. But I wanted to read her expression and watch as the emotions raged and toiled within a sea of green. I wanted to see her feel something, see her defenses come down around her. I wanted her and all of her natural rawness.

Go on, save yourself
@[Evangeline]

Outcast

She nodded as Thor said that there would be light, but she could not help but to worry. Everyday she tried to suppress the panic and paranoia that threatened to claw its way from the depths of her being and overwhelm her. At times she was able to pretend that nothing was wrong, but something always sucker-punched her and brought her back to the harsh reality that she didn't want to face. As she looked at Thor she knew how very real the unknown and unseen threat was. She knew that at any moment the unknown could strike and that was what scared her the most. If it had enough power to take Thor's wings what else could it do? How strong was it? Where was it?

When Eva has questioned Thor on what he planned to do she sounded far more confident that they could possibly overcome it than she felt. How could they possibly fight something when they didn't know what it was? They didn't know its strengths (aside from sneak attacks) or its weaknesses. For all they knew it could be some being that transcended even the Gods. Still, she did not want Thor to see that she was near hopelessness for his own sake. She stared at the grown, her mouth fixed firmly into a frown and her tail brushing against her hocks. "I will not let it win without a fight." She murmured, the words feeling so very foreign in her mouth. She was not a fighter. She spoke against fighting and instead settling differences with diplomacy. She doubted, however, that diplomacy would work on something that seemed so intent to wreak havoc and kill whenever the chance presented itself. "I will fight it until I cannot fight anymore. And if I die then I will have gone down fighting. I will not allow myself to be bullied by a murderer. I will not allow it to continue murdering. I will stop it." She tried to sound confident, but the waver in her voice was enough to speak volumes of the fear that raged beneath her seemingly calm exterior.

A soft sigh passed Evangeline's lips as Thor rested his head on her back and she hoped that he was finished with his questions, but as fate would have it he had one more. She turned her head to look at him, her expression turning guarded. "I feel everyday." She replied. "I feel the wind in my hair, the snow beneath my hooves. I feel the warmth of the fire." Her gaze lowered the the small fire that Tallis was continuing to add sticks to. "I feel Tallis' presence, his heart beating with mine." She looked back at Thor and shifted to push her shoulder against his chest. "I feel you right now."

"."

Credits

Thor the Gentle Heart

There was a strange feeling of emptiness that spread slowly from my head to my hooves as I gazed longingly into eyes of deep evergreen. It pained me that this mare refused to acknowledge my attempts to be near her. Evangeline was a distant creature who lived in a world too far away for me to reach. Every time I pulled, she pushed. If I walked, she ran. I felt like I was fighting with the wind…

I couldn’t recall a time that passion had been so hard to come by. We were mere animals at our core and yet she appeared to deny any primal disposition and any efforts to pull her from her head. Even now, she appeared to be mulling over the past or maybe she was simply looking for another way to torture me. Either way they felt the same from my point of view.

She had brought up a good point about the mysterious havoc wreaking sin and suffering all throughout Helovia but just as we were mere animals, we were also mere mortals. We could fester and worry ourselves into a premature grave or we could continue living… and I wanted nothing more than to live. Over the last few days I’d felt so anxious, so fragile. But now that I’d lost so much, things that ranged from love to body parts, I couldn’t help but feel… free. This world could take from me as it pleased but it would not break me because it would only make me stronger.

Slowly, a dawning of realization seemed to awake my dormant emotions. I had come so far, straight from the pits of hell and I’d survived. As I gazed distractedly at Evangeline, watching the emotions as they fluttered across her face, I started to remember just who I was. She was completely right. I’d been running from everything my whole life and now I had the chance to face my fears. I wasn’t entirely sure what they were, but it was enough to urge me to act. However, I needed a friend on my side; I needed a companion to help me walk through the flames.

Pale orange light danced across our tranquil party as the flames began to grow and crackle. When Eva finally found her voice after a long time spent contemplating her secrets, I turned away from the flames to look back at her. I was more than surprised to find a strong sense of determination simmering behind those emerald eyes but it was determination nonetheless. Her speech was fluent and inspiring and I couldn’t help watching the way her lips moved over the words with ferocity and soul… she was perfect.

Eva… my dear, I know what you mean and I know it’s an irritating situation, but you can’t do that alone. These murders, well, they’re much bigger than you and I. I fear every morning that I’ll wake up and find death and loss but I am only one being, one force against the evil. You and I both know we can’t take this thing on alone but I do know one thing at least: I intend to keep you safe, keep our family safe,” I said with growing resolve. “Just… don’t do anything without me. It would kill me if something happened to you.

A heated blush lit my cheeks at the confession but I did not hide from her as I was so accustomed to doing. But of course, as any sane female was ought to do, she plowed ahead with intentions to break down all of the tenderness I’d tried to build between us. I feel every day. I feel the wind in my hair, the snow beneath my hooves. I feel the warmth of the fire.

Needless to say, our moment was ruined.

I think you mistake my meaning Evangeline. I think you always have,” I chuckled in response while leaning heavily into her shoulder. She’d understand one day even if it wasn’t the present one.

Mares… you can’t live with them but you can’t live without them.

Go on, save yourself
@[Evangeline]

Outcast

With you by my side I can do anything
When we swing, babe, we hang past right and wrong

Eva did not want to admit that Thor was correct in his assessment of the murders. It was bigger than either of them. It transcended them. Even the gods had gotten involved with trying to hunt down the killer. Didn't that mean that the killer was something far more dangerous than any outcast or any individual that resided in a herd? What could mortals do against something like that? "We can't let it win." She whispered stubbornly. "If one of us rises and stands up against it then won't others? Someone must be take initiative, be a leader." She looked to Thor with wide emerald eyes when he said that he would keep her safe. "Why?" As she spoke the words he continued on to say that he would keep their family safe. Their family? But she did not have a family with him. 'Herd.' Tallis interjected as he dumped more sticks onto the growing fire. 'Keep herd family safe.'

Why did her heart feel like it sank to the bottom of her hooves? Was it because she didn't have a family with him? No. Evangeline snorted. That couldn't be it. She was being ridiculous.

“Just… don’t do anything without me. It would kill me if something happened to you.”

"What?" Her brows furrowed as she stared at Thor, unable to fully comprehend the weight of his words. "Why?" Maybe it was that she didn't want to understand. She had locked away her heart, feelings, emotions, and everything tied to love the day that Validino had walked out of her life. 'Likes you.' Tallis murmured, making Evangeline shake her head. "Why would he like me?" Her gaze had fallen to the dragon who had paused stoking the fire to look up at her. 'What not to like? Stop being stupid.' Her ears tilted back and she snorted once more, though this time it was directed at Tallis.

She was thankful when the subject was changed, but when she answered Thor's question he claimed that she had misunderstood him. She had always misunderstood? She quickly went from being thankful for the subject change to hating it. "What do you mean?" She questioned. "What have I mistaken? What did you mean?" She asked even though she was beginning to realize what he meant. It was all too much and Evangeline wanted to pull away from Thor rather than continue to comfort him. He was getting too close. She had let him get too close and he was going to hurt her just like everyone she let close to her had. Tears pricked her eyes and she blinked furiously to keep them from falling. "I need to go." She wanted Tallis to screech and take off, give her a reason to run away and not look back, but the dragon was stubborn and refused to move. "Please, Tallis."

'No.'

Thor the Gentleheart && Evangeline the Pure

Say you love me to my face, I need it more than your embrace

Just say you want me, that’s all it takes
As dastardly as I was and as cruel as I’d proven to be, I could not help but feel disarmed with Evangeline at my side. Though I’d been titled as “The Gentle Heart”, I did not feel in control with Eva around. I felt brash, indecisive, and crazed. Her touch brought warmth and feeling, her words emotion and action… When had she overcome me? This feeling could only be described as weakness and at times I warred with the idea of her and at others, I gave in. Her lips formed words of revenge, or vengeance… I didn’t care which. I couldn’t concentrate anymore. The murders and the sorrow and the pain… well they could wait until another day. The way her face puckered and shifted, betraying her emotions, only made me want. “That’s why we have Leaders Eva. They make decisions and they control disturbances in morale,” I soothed. But she questioned me as always- something I expected from a mare as opinionated as she. “Why what?” I smiled down at her.

She was becoming flustered and nervous. I could tell it in the way she repeated herself time after time. That beautiful woman would listen, but would not hear. Each time I attempted to approach her heart she would throw up wall after wall in order to keep me at bay. But it would only be a matter of time before her defenses were worn… I would find my way inside. “I’m not sure what you’re asking me Evangeline. I’m almost certain that the things I’ve told you are self-explanatory. I would not wish you unwell. It would hurt me if something happened to you. I don’t feel that needs more explanation,” I stated firmly. She tried to free herself of what she was about to hear but I would not let her. This was no longer something she could run from. I had met her, I had talked with her, and I had expressed myself to her. I couldn’t say that she was so dear to my heart that love moved me to act, but she was near enough to impact me and she would have to face that.

Eva could walk circles around me if she liked, if that made her comfortable, but I would find a way to walk a straight line- one that led right to her. I shifted away from her to step forward and circle back around in a wide arc. I wanted her to face me when she spoke. I wanted her to see how her actions and her words affected me, but nothing seemed to break her impenetrable wall. Instead, Eva circled once again, trying her damnedest to evade me. I couldn’t understand it… even if I tried. What forces kept her from feeling, from seeking release? Finally her questions weakened and fell with a soft quiver, her lips trembling with the effort. Pain lurked somewhere behind intense eyes of green and though I knew better than to ask what troubled her, I did struggle with the pang of guilt that coursed through my chest.

However, this was no longer something either of us could ignore. Tears threatened to overwhelm her and she sought to look anywhere but at me, however I would not have it so. I imagined she was pleading with Tallis to free her of the situation as any sane creature might, but I shot the dragon a serious look. No one would have peace this night if she found a way to run. “Stop it. Stop trying to fool me Eva. I only wish you happiness. Why can you not see that? Don’t… don’t you dare cry,” I croaked before finding my voice again. “I care about you. I’m sorry if that upsets you… but I’m not sorry for the way I feel,” I finished softly. I took the moment I knew she would need to recover and moved forward with my muzzle outstretched toward her. I wanted to graze her skin, inhale her, and comfort her. “Just let me care for you.
Thor & Evangeline
I want to feel burning flames when you say my name

Outcast

my heart is set on you, i don't want no one else
and if you don't want me i guess i'll be all by myself

Evangeline shook her head, as if that alone would stop the words from flowing from Thor's mouth and consuming her like a tidal wave. She didn't want him to care about her because if he didn't care about her then it would be so much easier for her to not care about him. So much easier for her to be content with being alone. It would be like it had been for the past year. Just her and Tallis moving along with the flow of the world. 'Too late.' She stared down at the dragon, trying so hard to ignore Thor as he tried to stay in her line of sight. Why did he want her to keep looking at him? Why? Couldn't he tell that she didn't even want to be there anymore? Why had he brought up a topic that was so sensitive? Why did he not just let it drop when he could see how upset it made her? 'Eva care about Thund... Thor.' The dragon cut himself off from calling Thor by his newly appointed nickname of 'Thunderbutt'. 'Thor care about Eva.'

But she didn't want it to be true. She didn't want him to care about her, she didn't want to care so deeply for him. Why couldn't he be just another face she knew from the Edge? Just someone she knew from serving as an emissary to the king and queen. Why couldn't her life be simple and easy? 'Good things not simple.' Eva continued to stare at the dragon. "When did you get so smart?" The dragon stared at his bonded. 'When you got so stupid.'

Her view of Tallis was blocked as Thor danced into her line of vision and, once more, she turned her head away from him. "Stop..." She whispered. His demand that she not cry made the mare blink more fiercely, determined not to let any tears escape. "Stop... just stop. Stop. Please..." She said again, this time her voice louder, but Thor continued to speak, claimed that he cared about her and couldn't help the way that he felt. "Stop!" She snapped and allowed her gaze to finally raise to Thor's face. "Don't say that! Everyone... everyone that's said that to me is gone!" Her ears tilted back against her head and she backed several steps away from Thor. "Stop saying it."

As Tallis watched and listened to his bonded he began to realize that maybe she was more scared of Thor disappearing now that he had spoken his feelings than she was about allowing herself to care about him.

Resistance. It was a word quickly becoming the bane of my existence. I had been resisted by so many things, Evangeline included. But I’d have it no more. I would fight for the things I believed in and I sure as hell believed in Eva. She tried her hardest to avoid me, all the while staring down at Tallis like he could somehow whisk me away into the atmosphere, sparing her my prodding and persistence. However, the dragon appeared to be quite content where he stood. Whether that was because he was a stubborn as a fucking bull or because I silently promised to beat the living hell out of him if he messed this up for me, I was unsure. But it remained that Evangeline still refused me the one thing I wanted… needed. Not once did she glance up at me and not once did she seek to acknowledge me. It was painful. It was irritating. It was fucking maddening.

I truly was given no choice but to intervene her quiet conversation with Tallis, but as mares are so wont to do, she lashed out in return. I couldn’t help but smile. She was everything I’ve been searching for. She was opinionated. She was strong. She was perfect and yet so stubbornly Eva.

Again she found a way to avoid me, her eyes averted toward the mists curling in from the tree line. Had she forgotten me? Ignored who I was? I was yet older than she, yet wiser, and I knew deep within my heart what I wanted. I’d spun through my youth like a haptic deviant and age had matured me and allowed me guidance. I had suffered loss, fear, love, and guilt… I was no longer disillusioned by my own ideas. It was a primal need for her that moved me now.

Her lips parted revealing only more stops and bars against my pressing. My beauty, my affection… she tried to tell me to stop, to regain myself and my former lies. But I could not pretend any longer, the words already said. “No,” I whispered softly. “No, I can’t,” I said while moving to press my face into her neck. However, when she moved away, still denying me and yet tempting me all the same, I could handle her games no longer.

She tried to tell me how others had gone, how they did this or they did that, but last I checked I was not them. I was Thor. Dammit, had I not proven myself to her? Had I not been by her side since meeting her? In the Edge? In the Threshold? Shit, I’d been everywhere with her… anywhere she desired to go. “I’m not ever going to stop Eva. I’m here and I’m not leaving until you tell me what it is you feel. You don’t want me? Fine. But I want to hear you say it. I want you to look me in the eye and say it,” I urged on a low, heady breath.

I lifted my eyes to hers once more, hoping, wishing, and praying that she would find me. “I don’t think you intend to tell me no,” I concluded with a sigh. My heart slammed into my chest as I stared at her and fear rose in my stomach.

Don’t you fucking tell me no.
Thor & Evangeline

Outcast

She felt sick and began to wish that the ground would open up and swallow her whole so she wouldn't have to face the situation at hand any longer. She wanted to turn and run, leave Tallis and Thor behind and not stop until her lungs and heart threatened to cease their function altogether. Until she ceased to be. Then she could finally have peace. 'Stupid.' Tallis snorted in response to his bonded's irrational behavior. 'Thor like Eva. Eva like Thor. Why problem?' As reluctant as Tallis was to share his Evangeline with anyone else, he felt that she needed someone with her. She needed someone to stand beside her, protect her, comfort her, offer her everything that Validino had given her and ripped away because of his own selfishness. 'Thor good.' The dragon insisted. 'Eva know Thor good.'

"I'm not ever going to stop, Eva. I’m here and I’m not leaving until you tell me what it is you feel. You don’t want me? Fine. But I want to hear you say it. I want you to look me in the eye and say it,”

God, why was he putting all of this pressure on her? She had come to him because he had called for her, needed her to help him after he'd been attacked and sickened by whatever it was in the darkness that had gotten to him. So why this? Why? She wanted to scream at him to leave her alone, but as she opened her mouth to speak it snapped shut again. "Leave me alone! Go away!" The words were in her mind, clawing and scratching, writhing and looking for an escape that was denied.

“I don’t think you intend to tell me no.”

Evangeline's eyes finally left Tallis and settled on Thor's face. It was the closest she could get to looking him in the eye because she just couldn't. "I.." She paused, because even she was unsure of what she was going to say. "I don't...." Her heart thudded heavily in her chest as the lie, at last, pushed past her lips. "...want you." 'Liar.' The dragon hissed. 'Eva want Thor!' The orange mare shook her head in denial, but it did little to ease her and it did not stop Tallis from calling her a liar once more before he fell silent. Still unable to look Thor in the eye, her gaze fell once more to the ground where it began to blur from the continuous onslaught of unshed tears. Part of her hoped that he would know she was lying, but very small, minuscule, part hoped that he believed her and left. As she blinked tears finally began to fall.

How… how could a few syllables amount to such demanding, physical pain? Time had slowed, become a tangible thing that touched my heart like a hot iron. I was defenseless and quiet, broken. The more she spoke the more the fire seared and eradicated tender flesh.

I was forced to look away, contemplate anything other than smoldering eyes of green. She’d cut the tie, severed whatever connection bloomed between us with a single blow. I shuddered once before laughing. It was a cold, callous sound that did not belong at my lips but I couldn’t refrain. I couldn’t pretend that she did not control me, make me feel. I tried to imagine the moment she knew, the very fucking moment she decided she didn’t care.

I glanced once to Tallis, hoping to find answers and yet knowing I would find nothing but the wall built between us. He was a reflection of Eva and all I saw in her empty eyes was fortitude and self-preservation. I had two choices now, one being to walk away like the coward I was and the other to deny her claims. I could stand a fool, a desperate man hoping and wishing for something that could never be mine… or I could fight.

I’d suffered my fair share of shame. Could I not endeavor one more sacrifice?

With a heavy sigh, I returned my eyes to hers, to Evangeline. Tears rolled freely down her face and I longed to reach for her and soothe the pain that rocked her, but I would not. She needed strength now, not comfort. I’d seen her, seen her pride and her power… This day was no different for her because I knew the woman she was. She was not weak… but afraid. “Take it back. Take it back right now Eva,” I retorted.

This time I wasn’t giving up. I wasn’t going to let her run from me, even if it hurt my soul in the process.

I hated that she could tell me no when I could see it in her eyes, read it in her body language- she was mine. I’d known it too fast, overstepped my bounds more than once … But dammit if I didn’t think she was meant for me. “You’re lying,” I accused harshly.

I moved away from her and toward the mists crawling in from the forest almost hopeful they would conceal me. But I stopped just short of leaving in order to fix the mare with a serious gaze. “I’m not going to ask you again Eva. I’m not going to plead for your affection. If you want me, if you believe in me… you’ll admit it. You’ll come to me. I’ve shared myself with you, met you halfway- hell more than halfway,” I grit through clenched teeth. My muscles clenched and rippled from the stress but I was yet calm, contained… for now.

In one final moment of weakness I softened. “Please… just let me in.
Thor & Evangeline

Outcast

Evangeline took another step back as Thor laughed, uncomfortable with the cold, bitter sound of it. What now? Would he scream at her? Yell? Cuss? A small part of her hoped that he would, hoped he would lash out bitterly and hatefully because it would help her reinforce the crumbling wall she'd built up to protect herself. The wall that he was so effectively tearing apart from the foundation up. "Please..." She hated the sound of that laughter, hated herself for the way it made her heart feel like it was drowning. When he finally looked away from her it did little to ease her or make her relax in any sense of the word. Was he giving up on her? Was he going to leave her to her own devices? It was what she wanted, wasn't it? If it was then why did she feel like there were more cracks spiderwebbing across her heart?

He turned to her and for a moment her eyes met his before she looked away, still unable to look at him, knowing that she was hurting him. She shook her head as he demanded that she take back what she had said, begged that she take it back. "No." She whispered. "No ... I don't ... I don't want you." I can't want you. Why didn't he just give up and leave her alone with her crumbling defenses? Why did he keep pushing and pushing? She was going to break, shatter into a million different pieces and then what? Would he still want her after her soul was bared for him?

"You're lying."

She did not deny it because denying it would only affirm that she was lying. Denying it would be telling him that she wanted him, every part of him. She wanted to claim his heart as her own, make her place in his soul, and her home at his side. 'Do it.' Why did Tallis understand that she couldn't? What if he turned out just like Validino and left her? Or hateful like Ricochet? What if she couldn't make him love her enough to want to stay with her once he knew all of her flaws? 'Can't live by what if.'

Movement brought her gaze back to Thor and her heart felt like it stopped when she saw that he was leaving. Anxiety coursed through her veins and she stumbled forward several steps before forcing herself to a standstill. He stopped, turned to her, spoke again, and she listened but didn't comment. She was torn between wanting him to leave so she could keep her defenses, though damaged, standing or tearing those same defenses down completely and going to him, accepting his affection and returning it. But how? How did she do that? Tentatively, she took a step forward then stopped, her ears falling back as her anxiety and insecurity increased.

“Please… just let me in.”

"...I don't know how." She admitted softly. How could she trust enough to bare her heart completely? How could she love without the fear of being broken? How could she be someone she had not been in years?

If I walked away right now, would she replace me? Would she find another to fill the silence between her thoughts, between her words? I feared what walking away would give her… and I didn’t want to allow Eva the opportunity to find out. I wasn’t perfect, I didn’t walk a straight line, but I knew one thing for certain… I needed her. It was an ingrained desire that had been ignited upon meeting her. I didn’t think that I could ever rid myself of her face, of her smile, of her soul. I couldn’t bear the thought of another’s hand upon her, of another’s love blooming hot and proud within her heart. “I’m the one pleading Eva… Just-” I whispered. “Don’t say no,” I finished on a desperate sigh.

Again, she turned away from me to find new ways to avoid me, avoid all that I stood for. A deep and endless ache began at my core and thrust viciously outward. Why couldn’t she look at me? Was I that shameful? Was I that… dishonorable, that she could not even fix eyes upon me?

I couldn’t hear her protests anymore. They were but sighs upon the wind… they held no bearing on me anymore. I couldn’t feel, couldn’t pretend that I would leave this night unscathed, unhindered. She had taken everything from me with a single word. No? Just… no? Then why tears? Why so much feeling, emotion?

That’s it,” I relented.

Evangeline had rambled on for a moment attempting to confuse me further and send me on some wayward spiral into the pits of devastation. However, the more she thwarted me, the more I couldn’t resist my urges, my desire to wrap her up in embrace everlasting, eternal. Moments soothed into silence and silence into the fire of need... My muscles bunched, clinging to thick bone before finally releasing and easing into movement. Step after step I came closer to our source of pain while bringing rain to douse the agony bridged between us. “Let me show you,” I soothed in a rasping voice made of husky male intent.

Skin and heat and her scent intermingled when I reached for her with my lips parted, so soft and urgent against her neck. “It’s not hard,” I smiled into her mane.

Would she resist me now?
Thor & Evangeline

Outcast

She didn't want him to plead with her because the more he did the weaker her resolve became because she wanted him. She wanted to love him, to trust him, to let him be a permanent fixture in her life, but how could she trust so easily when everyone had a history of leaving her behind? How could she be so sure that he would be different? Again, she said no, tried to make him leave before she gave in but her attempts seemed to be in vain. Though he had threatened to leave it was beginning to look like he was going to stand there while she cried and drowned in the emotions that he had stirred up. "Tallis! Please, make him leave!" She begged, but the dragon remained by the fire, stubborn as ever.

"That's it."

Evangeline flinched, visibly, and waited for the sound of his retreating steps, thinking that maybe he had finally given up. It took a moment, but she did hear footsteps, but they were coming closer to her rather than retreating. Her head lifted and she looked to Thor, emerald eyes wide and filled with tears. When he spoke his voice was different. It was deeper, huskier, raspy, and it threatened to send a shiver of anticipation down her spine. "W...what?" She stuttered, her hooves shuffling enough the carry her backwards only a few steps before she stopped again.

Her heart thundered against her rib cage as Thor stretched his neck toward her, his lips touched her neck and she felt as if she'd been zapped once more by Ampere's magic. It made her skin tingle and her breathing quicken. It made her wonder why in the hell she hadn't turned and run away yet. If a single touch could make her feel such a way what would happen if she opened her heart to him?

"Its not hard."

"But..." you don't understand. "...I..." can't want this. I can't want you. But why couldn't she? Because she was scared? Because she didn't want to be hurt? Because... Because... The persistent touch of his lips against her neck made her thoughts a jumbled mess that she could hardly sort through. "Thor..." His name was murmured as she finally stepped forward, her head turning so she could hide her face in his mane.