the Rift

[PRIVATE] Y U DO DIS
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
<style type="text/css">.heh {width: 580px; background: white; padding: 30px; border: 1px solid #eee;} .heh h1 {font: 10px/10px oswald; color: #212020; text-transform: lowercase; text-align: center; letter-spacing: 8px;} .heh h2 {font: 100px/100px oswald; color: #5d1412; text-transform: uppercase; text-align: center; letter-spacing: -5px; padding: 5px 0 5px 0; border-top: 1px solid #eee; border-bottom: 1px solid #eee; margin: 5px 0 5px 0; display: block;} .words {font: 14px/13px droid sans mono; color: #454444; text-align: justify; padding: 20px 0 20px 0;} .words:first-letter {font: 50px/50px oswald; float: left; text-transform: uppercase; margin: -2px 1px -7px 0;}</style>

if this is to end in fire

wildfire

then we should all burn together

He hadn't bothered to say much on their journey over. Gaucho assumed the pink spy was slippery - indeed she would have to be to hold the rank she did - and he did not want to take the chance she would use her powers upon him. During their entire walk over Gaucho had tried to take note of his emotions and thoughts, and instructed Mara to do the same. Her mother, although Gaucho didn't know of Phaedra's relation to the pink spy, had the ability to charm and persuade. He had seen her abilities himself, watched as the sheen of her coat grew even more alluring and glistened as if bits of stars had buried themselves in her golden pelt. He felt her persuasion although perhaps he was a poor candidate, for he was already more than receptive to the charms of a beautiful female. Regardless, he steeled himself against Hotaru in case such an attack was to come. Ophelia after all had the ability to invade minds, she had done so to him, although at the time she had been invited. Perhaps this trick was transferable? The pink one and the white one had spoke briefly before Hotaru came to Gaucho... Suspicious.

As they entered the Throat Gaucho's mind eased considerably. The Wildfire brought the pink one to the Oasis, assuming she would likely be thirsty. She may be his prisoner, having committed crimes against his family, but that did not make him a monster. He was nothing if not fair when it came to war.

But was this war? It was hard to tell.

"Drink." He grunted, lowering his pierced muzzle to the waters to do as he had instructed her to do. His black earse bobbed as he drew the refreshing liquid into his throat. The light from his antlers cast beautiful patterns upon the waters, accompanied by the light from his wings. Raising his muzzle, he regarded the petite spy with a snort.

"Why you not fight?" He asked her, genuinely interested. The difference in their size and abilities seemed obvious. Gaucho's body boasted of muscle and magic, while hers was more reserved and demur. Still, she hadn't offered anything by means of defending or excusing herself. Why?

@[Hotaru]

©
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru

Were Hotaru more inclined towards the male form, perhaps she would have attempted more conversation with her captor. As it stood, he was merely that. Though she did not fancy his challenge and becoming a prisoner, Hotaru also understood the art of pride, and how heavily it seemed to fester like poison in the veins of the testosterone-infused beasts. Though it was clear the brute was nothing more than exactly that by his method of speaking, that merely lent more reasoning behind his actions. Instead, she had idly wandered at his side, never straying. Maybe it would lead to him being more inclined to trust her, subconsciously as it was. Hotaru could play the game of patience better than any other, and if playing dumb and innocent was the way into his good graces (or as good as they could get with his current status over her) then she would easily shed her permanent personality for one more suited towards him.

Though, he was not a fool. The trip was long and tedious, spring the only relief she was granted during the journey. Quietly she wondered how Arya was taking her absence, hoping her daughter would take it upon herself to look after little Mirabella. Of course, Mira was older, but Hotaru would always consider her daughter to be more mentally fierce considering she'd had little hand in Mira's upbringing. Considering her own guilt over what she'd done to the filly's mother, perhaps it was best she didn't. A singular word brought her back from her thoughts, and she showed no sign of acceptance or gratitude, instead obeying by dipping her head and sipping lightly. It would not do good to cramp herself her first night at camp!

As she finished, she contemplated his words. Finally she lifted her crown and regarded him, genuine curiosity reflecting in her mismatched irises. "Because you merely did as I would have." Though she wasn't one for sharing, what did she have to lose in a temporary home that was not hers facing a leader she hoped to never meet again?

"Do you know the truth? Or do you merely perceive what you wish?" Though Ophelia had revealed his name to her, Hotaru's was still a mystery, but she did not deign to use his title so soon. "You fight for your family. I collect items for my family. Did you ever think perhaps I did not want your flock, but what they have? Strength does not come in numbers." A wry smile played at her lips, for she held the trophies of her secrecy on her bodice as she stood before him in that moment, if only he would care to look.

"Strength does not always come from battle. I am not strong like you." It's an easy admission, accompanied by a light shrugging motion. "Why did you take me?" She shoots back at last, posing a question to mimic his own.

lady lazarus, i rise
Credit
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

<style type="text/css">.heh {width: 580px; background: white; padding: 30px; border: 1px solid #eee;} .heh h1 {font: 10px/10px oswald; color: #212020; text-transform: lowercase; text-align: center; letter-spacing: 8px;} .heh h2 {font: 100px/100px oswald; color: #5d1412; text-transform: uppercase; text-align: center; letter-spacing: -5px; padding: 5px 0 5px 0; border-top: 1px solid #eee; border-bottom: 1px solid #eee; margin: 5px 0 5px 0; display: block;} .words {font: 14px/13px droid sans mono; color: #454444; text-align: justify; padding: 20px 0 20px 0;} .words:first-letter {font: 50px/50px oswald; float: left; text-transform: uppercase; margin: -2px 1px -7px 0;}</style>

wildfire

Her first words likely had more of an impact than she expected or intended them to do. That she was not jaded by her capture won her a great deal of respect from the Sultan, whose gaze bore into her with quiet intrigue.

"What truth?" He spat, sounding annoyed as if expecting some word game to follow. As she continued, the Wildfire found himself unable to tell if she was naive and lucky, or a true trickster. His flaming wings ruffled against his flanks as he considered her words, stormy gaze never wavering from her eyes. "I fight when provoked. Like now." He began, tossing his pierced nose. "You take what is not yours. Strength not come from numbers, no. Strength come from chomokh oakah.." He trailed off, unable to find the word in the native tongue to represent the emotion he was trying to describe. Stomping a hoof into the sands, his black tail snapped angrily against his barred hocks. Snorting, he continued. "Strength come from inside. Not from things you take."

This was both a response to both relations she spoke of: strength not being found in numbers or battle. Of that she was quite correct. If Gaucho had no family to fight for he would possess little strength. Without his rhojosor likely the pink spy could defeat him.

Her final question caught him slightly off guard. How could she speak as she just had, and not understand his reasons? Nostrils flaring he regarded her curiously for a moment, wondering if she was merely pulling for more information from him. "You try to take my family. If not take them, take what belongs to them. They my family, and I their Sultan. Maybe you have good reasons to take from them. Gaucho not care. Gaucho only care about them." A grimace parted his dark lips as he recalled Meg's report of what the pink spy had done to the body and grunted. "My warrior say she see you eating murdered bodies." Well, that wasn't true. Meg's report had been that she had seen Hotaru with one body. Even so, Gaucho's mind automatically assumed the worst: that she was some sort of cannibal, or perhaps worse, the murderer. "Phaedra was one of ours..." His voice broke softly, the shame and guilt at having let her succumb to such violence overcoming the stoicism that normally masked his features. "You ruin her body." He concluded tartly.

chomokh oakah; honor of the soul
rhojosor; family

©

Hotaru

Turning to face him fully as he spat out his next question (so many questions! That merely solidified her suspicions regarding what he knew of her so called crimes) the dainty woman gazed up at him fearlessly, mild as an autumn day. "Strength comes from within, yes. But a body alone is not always powerful." Her mind reached out, willing the tiara round her head to activate. It slid with ease to click together into the full armor that hid away, shining beautifully beneath the glow of his flames. "This is what I steal for my family. I cannot protect them with my body alone, always. But this can protect them while I am not near." At will it disappeared once more, a mere headpiece, easily mistaken as jewelry again. She tried to simplify her words, make him understand. Though she could never change his paradigm, his belief system, she could hope to achieve peace between the clashing of their separate reasoning behind what they did.

She nodded as he continued on, speaking of family and preciousness, caring only for them. "And I do not? I have two daughters, and I will die for them. I will burn all of Helovia should they fall to harm. But I teach them that it is okay to walk away, to not cause conflict. That is why I did not fight." Her gaze hardened at the mention of her daughters, seeming to evolve from a lukewarm coal to a blazing fire, the same fire that drove Gaucho to steal her away. "I obey my leaders. They tell me to take, so I try. Your family does the same. I do not care for them, and you do not care for me or mine. But we fight for the same cause. Merely different sides. So no, I am not angry. I commend you." It is a hard won compliment, but she could easily respect the soldier. Even if his methods were rather ludicrous in her eyes.

Except, then he made a fatal mistake. He mentioned her supposed crimes, the foul that stained her record because of misunderstandings. Though she was small she inflated her frame, eyes suddenly hot with anger and injustice. "Phaedra was my MOTHER!" she bellowed, breath coming in desperate pants with the force of emotions she had not allowed air. Stuffing it further and further down in hopes of them falling away into nothing and leaving her be. She struggled to bite down on those feelings, to compose herself. He had yet to break her facade until that moment, she could not allow him the pleasure of seeing her agony.

Clenching her jaw, cheek bulging, she inhaled deeply. "I had to...my soul hurt. It was horrible. I am weak, for that. But do not dare to say that I would ever happily desecrate my own mother's body, no matter what she did to me. That other body? The stallion? That was my father. I found both my parents dead that day, but I had to move past that because now I am a mother, and a mother will always look out for her children. Even if it means causing herself pain." She growls softly, head high and eyes flickering with the intensity of her anger. Phaedra had not been a mother in many ways. She likely never would be, in Hotaru's eyes. But nonetheless, Tolio and Phaedra were her parents. The few she really had in this cruel, bleak world that she had not created herself.

"The Moon Goddess told me to steal the clues. I did not eat anything. I ripped it away, and placed it in a basket. I...I hate it. But magic is strong. Magic will help me protect my daughters. So I will be evil, I will be sick and wrong. Because in the end, no matter how you deem to see me? They will be safe because of me." Her little limbs quivered, the only sign of her distress. She shook her head, bitterly smiling.

"I do as my Goddess commands. I do it out of love. Think of me what you will, but I will not regret attempting to be stronger. Do I regret being forced to do such things? Yes. Of course. But I must sacrifice if it means my family is stronger." Her eyes lifted to find Gaucho's, not so arrogant or weak as to implore him to understand, but concrete. He could not make Hotaru doubt herself. She had given too much for him to force her to stop.

lady lazarus, i rise
Credit

Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

wildfire

What would come next might sound like a challenge, but it was not. The dun truly didn't understand, although for the first time in a long time he was genuinely trying to. Her norms and rules seemed inconsistent, her questions demonstrating that. If the Basin did not constantly attack the other herds (though to be fair, the last Invasion was more than a year ago passed now, no?) they wouldn't need such protection. Gaucho knew this was fool hardy to suggest however; idealistic. There would never be a time of peace. Never. He understood the need for protection and yet ..."That not protect you from me." He began, his voice strong but soft in tone. He thoughtfully watched as the armor disappeared, being reminded of that that Midas wore. Had Midas' armor ever protected him when it mattered? "You have daughters, but keep armor for yourself. You here now, they alone in Basin. How this protect them now?" Not a challenge, just confusion, which only continued. Her words caused Gaucho to shake his head, to hold and release his breath as he mulled over her words.

"Teach daughters to avoid conflict, but that what you start. Leaders tell you to take from us. Why? You build up icy walls of snow and unicorn horns. You not keep us out, you just keep yourself in. You could ask for items. Could find crafters, could ask Gods. Could challenge with respect. You teach daughters to avoid conflict but you create it." Gaucho didn't quite know that the Basin was racist, only that Unicorns seemed to inhabit it although the underlying morals that drove that situation to occur were lost on him. Still, Gaucho remained confident that it was the Basin who created the problems that they experienced. They sought to expand, but why? Was there not enough room in their icy caves and plateaus? Certainly it seemed there was. Why invade the Edge and the Throat all those seasons ago? Why attack and kill and then retreat? Why steal when they could simply trade? Trading didn't require any moral settling or breakings of ideals. So why this? Why was treachery and thieving always what they resorted to?

As Hotaru's voice rose, Gaucho's wings flared from his sides causing bits of flame and black feathers to fall upon the sands as a snarl crossed his dark muzzle. Phaedra was her mother. That was not something Gaucho expected. Realizing the girl did not plan to attack, Gaucho rearranged his wings against his dark flanks, still wearing a snarl. He had expected any kin of the golden beauty to be...well, gold and winged. Hotaru was pale, peachy, and horned. Who had the father been? Oh. As Hotaru continued and the details were fleshed out, the snarl on Gaucho's lips faded to a thin line, then finally a frown.

Had the moment been different, had Hotaru been one of his and not his prisoner, he might have commended her. Might have told her that in that moment he could see more strength within her than she likely gave herself credit for. She was strong. Strong enough to best him? If her children's lives were at stake Gaucho thought she just might be, even without all of her magical trinkets. But the moment wasn't different, and so Gaucho remained silent on the matter, although his gaze revealed the admiration that she inspired.

Speaking of the Moon Goddess caused Gaucho's brow to furrow. On the one hand he knew well what it was to follow the will of a deity. Indeed, Gaucho would do anything that the Sun God asked of him, regardless of what taste it was in, or where it fell on the moral spectrum. And yet... yet the Moon Goddess was the patron of the Edge. Hotaru hailed from the Basin. What was this? More trickery? A confused story?

"You from Basin. God of Spark is your God." He ventured flatly. In his heard the God of the Sun was to be revered by all. It didn't even occur to him that other herds may not worship their deities the same way. Although .. what reasons could the pink spy have to dwell away from the Goddess she so adored and followed? What reasons could she have to dwell in the Basin if what she wanted was to keep her daughters safe?

©

Hotaru

It was impossibly insulting to Hotaru to imply that she taught her daughter cowardice, but she breathed deeply and tried to remember the calm that Ophelia always exuded, as if her presence could somehow linger as the last Basiner she'd had contact with. "Because they tell me to steal. They do not tell me to trade, to be nice about it. How many would trade, truly? What do I have aside favors that my herd will not allow to be promised?" The stirrings of anger were forcibly corrected, because her daughters were no cowards. They were better than Hotaru in every way, and she loved them far more intensely than the sun could ever burn. "How do you know my daughters do not have armor? Amulets? Magic? I do not leave them powerless. Why do you not give your weaker members your collar?" She threw back at him, though not in an unkind way.

"I never said my herd was right. They can be wrong and stupid. But I love them. Even if your herd was wrong, you would fight for them, would you not? I may not agree with what they do...but I love them, so I will stand with them. I am a spy because I am good at it, because it helps. Originally I was a warrior, but my daughters...I could not fight pregnant. So I helped in the only other way I could. I did not challenge because I could not, not without hurting them too." Her feathers are no longer ruffled but smoothed, and she sends a silent prayer of thanks to Ophelia for the lasting impression she'd left on the little beauty. "I create conflict because they tell me to, and I am loyal to them. But I teach my daughters something different. I teach them to face everything with pride and trust in themselves, to not back down unless it is safer for them overall." Calm, composed. Think of Ophelia, of her Goddess, of anyone who could help her calm the threatening staccato of her hear. Even if Ophelia would surely never approve of the violent outburst that follows her peaceful explanations, that prompts Gaucho to face her with responding promise of pain. One that she cannot back down from, even if he is thrice her size. Because her soul is inflamed, and she is burning like a phoenix to it's pyre with the memory of her parents lying cold and dead, dead, dead on the front door of her home. A terrible, horrible present from her Goddess.

Speaking of.

Once she had calmed once more, she smiled a little. "My father hailed from the Basin. I knew nobody else. I used to be part of the Edge, if only for my Goddess. But I needed family, so I left to the Basin to find my father. I respect the God of Spark, but I am loyal to my Goddess." Tilting her head, she thought over his response. Clearly he was implying that patron lands meant faith, so that should surely tell her that his own God of favor was the Sun. "If you are in the Heart, do you forget to love your God? If you are visiting another herd, like when you took me away, do you no longer follow him because he does not exist in those lands?" A rather rhetorical set of questions, of course, and she answered them soon after.

"I am torn, between love for my family and love for my Goddess. Just because I live in the Basin does not mean I cannot serve her." The Goddess herself did not seem to think so, but Hotaru was confident in her own ideology, and would not be shaken from it easily.

lady lazarus, i rise
Credit

Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

wildfire

Gaucho huffed, dissatisfied with the beginning of Hotaru's response. That the Basin told her to do it...On the one hand, if he told his herd to act he would certainly expect them to. He would find questioning and disagreement unacceptable. And yet ... what was it he actually expected? Could he now truly chastise Hotaru for not thinking for herself and instead blindly following orders when in fact that is what he expected of his herd? Of his family? What would he offer as justification? That it was for the good of the herd? That the God of the Sun willed it? That he could see a bigger picture than they? Something told him that if he asked Hotaru, he would receive similar answers of her superiors. It was how leadership worked. Fumbling mentally for a purchase on which to grip, Gaucho found himself lost in thought.

Should he even have taken Hotaru at all? The wheels turned slowly. He had sent Silk to capture Hotaru, although he would not have wanted the Basin to retaliate against his spy. Indeed, he would have wanted them to come for him since it was under his instruction that the bat-winged creature acted. Looking at Hotaru, Gaucho's nostrils flared once again as he drew in a breath.

Had he made a mistake? Not in action, but on the recipient?

"Gaucho here to protect them. Warriors here to protect when Gaucho not here." He mumbled in response to her question about his collar. "Besides, it too big for them." He concluded disjointedly, still lost in his own thoughts.

As she continued speaking, Gaucho broke out of his haze, gaze focused solely upon her. Intently. Directly. As she spoke of her herd, her family and how she would stay by them even when they made poor decisions, Gaucho found himself agreeing and understanding, which only added to the conflict that was storming within his blue-striped chest. It was true, he would do anything for them, and while he would try and steer them away from making mistakes such as those that he thought the Basin was making ... surely she would say the same? In fact, she was. If this was a mistake, it seemed it was a mistake she would make for her family.

Her response to his query about the Moon Goddess was also eloquently mind-boggling. Indeed, were he taken prisoner his allegiance wouldn't change and yet ... yet what he did within the Throat was for the reverence and devotion of the Sun. Could she say the same, walled up behind pillars of ice and rock? Hadn't the Basin just held a festival for the God of the Spark? The Moon Goddess was jealous, he knew that much. How could she stand for such a thing? How could Hotaru pledge her loyalty and devotion while having to hide it in the face of the family that she professed her allegiance to? Which was more important? The Goddess, or her need for family?

Gaucho remained silent even after Hotaru had finished speaking. She had said much and it was taking time for his simple mind to finish calculating the full extent of her meaning. Once done however, the Wildfire remained puzzled, confused, and torn, but sure of one thing. It was not Hotaru who his conflict was with. It was with her superiors, whoever they were.

"Tell me why." He asked through clenched teeth, a rare vulnerability glistening in his dark gaze as he once again sought to find her dual-coloured gaze. "Tell me why you no try to trade. Edge ... Kahlua always wants peace." He began thinking of the idealistic paint who had visited the Throat on more than one occasion brokering gifts. "She would trade. And Midas in Falls ... " The dun shrugged. Midas was reasonable most of the time, and if terms were presented in a neutral manner he could not see his former co-leader turning down the offer. "Would too. Earth God probably make him." Unconsciously Gaucho smirked thinking of the relationship between the paint and the God, failing to see that he himself was equally puppet-ed by the God of the Sun.

"You invade us seasons ago, Edge too. Not come first with terms. You fail. You try to take from Throat now and fail. Force not working." Squaring his massive body to hers, he lowered his skull to her level, peering at her intently. "Why you no try. Why you do this?"

©

Hotaru

Hotaru was proud to realize that, whether or not she changed him in any profound way, at least she had forced him to really sit and think. He did not seem the type, and she meant that both half-insulting and half-truthfully, but Hotaru's job was all about the mind. Being sly, cunning. Bending others to her will, confusing or bolstering them. As much as she held a hatred for her mother at times, it was indisputable that Hotaru's tongue was as gilded as the Opulent's. For once, however, her eloquence was being used to broaden the boundaries of the Wildfire's mind, not mold it to her liking. A selfless endeavor, for someone like Hotaru, but one that was infinitely more satisfying. Especially to see the turmoil on his face as he fought to understand, to find flaws in her logic that Hotaru knew did not exist.

Though it hadn't been meant for humor, the lithe spy could not help but give out a surprised laugh at his words. "You are rather big," she laughed helplessly, surprised at herself that she'd been caught off guard enough to be amused into laughter. Especially when such a serious-faced brute spoke the words. "Though, my armor is too big for my daughters, too. So you can understand my reasoning as well." Her daughters were still very young, and in no way could fit the magical armor even if it was blessed by the Gods. It would likely only serve to give her heart palpitations to see them in war-metal garb anyways.

She patiently awaited his next question, and a flutter of hopeful pride built in her chest. Would Ophelia commend her for being able to get the stubborn warrior to see from the eyes of a unicorn? From a Basiner?

Was this what it felt like, to want approval from someone? Was this how she was supposed to feel for Phaedra?

Feeling slightly disturbed at that realization, Hotaru put aside that thought, that little butterfly of self-esteem and focused instead on Gaucho. It seemed he too had reached a pinnacle, and the intensity with which he sought her eyes, going so far as to stoop further to her minuscule height, was surprising. The clench of his teeth and the frustration only made her feel sympathy for him. Confronting the flaws of your own belief system was a difficult thing to do, and so she did not fear his anger, knowing it was not pointed in her direction. Instead, she made an effort to be a bit more open, letting her eyes soften.

"We do. You do not live there, but we have changed. The Edge and the Basin have grown closer. We trade herbs and trinkets, we spar together, grow together. We have overcome our hatred of one another. The Basin hated the Edge long before it hated the Throat, Sultan." Was she more aware of their history merely because she lived in the Basin? Only, she shook her head with a bitter smile, wry and disbelieving when Midas was mentioned. "No. Midas ripped apart our invitation for peace and celebration, he hurt my daughter by destroying a creation she had made herself. We have tried to ask for peace, but Midas told us no. It is not our fault that he has cut ties, for we extended ourselves to his herd." Mirabella's distress had been one of the few reasons she knew of the incident, but word had spread like rampant fire even in a world so icy, and few Basin members were not aware of the relationship between the Falls and the Basin. Hotaru was privileged, as a spy, for she knew that the Edge was wholly off limits.

"I have never stolen from the Edge. I have never tried. If we can fix that old hatred with them, why can we not with the Throat?" Peace was not exactly Hotaru's thing, and it was one of the falser things she'd said in her conversation with Gaucho thus far, but with Ophelia ruling it was still a very likely possibility. Remembering the wounds of her people, more mental than physical after the Throat invasion as Hotaru had not been a member during that time, she could see why Gaucho was so distressed. But, instead, she smiled.

"Is it so hard to believe that we can change? The Edge has accepted us. Maybe it is time that you and my leaders speak. Maybe it is time to heal." And with that, she fell to silence, her eyes surprisingly sincere. The Falls had wronged her, but Gaucho had not. The Throat had not, not really. Maybe, just maybe, she could accept being on neutral terms with them as well.

The two major powers, eternal enemies, united at last.

It was an awe-inspiring idea.

lady lazarus, i rise
Credit

Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

wildfire

Gaucho nodded in response to her comment, he obviously was large. What brought a smile to his own features was hearing her comment that the armor she wore would be too large for her daughters. Stepping back, Gaucho apprised her now as he hadn't before - his warm and masculine gaze now coating her coral curves, and seeping into the swell and dip of her back, thighs, and chest. Gaucho's nostrils flared nearly silently, drawing her scent in, as his gaze roamed higher, lingering here and there, before finally returned to meet her gaze. Silent for a moment, the Sultan allowed himself merely to absorb and observe.

"You are small." He concluded finally. However he did not mean this just in contrast with himself, nor as a slight. She was petite, but that didn't saying anything about that meant. "But spirit big." It was the only hint he would give at the thoughts he had entertained earlier when he had seen the fire and passion flare within her gaze and seemingly blaze within her core. "Maybe that not what your daughters fit into...yet."

As she continued speaking his smile fell away and his attention became rapt once again. When was the last time a female held his attention so, in a way that was not focused upon their physique? He couldn't recall, and likely if asked, Sohalia wouldn't be able to either. As she spoke of the Edge, the dun snorted. Perhaps he would have to visit the foggy cliffs ... certainly the Edge seemed to have more secrets than they let on. Although the Throat hadn't asked them about their standing with the Basin, they hadn't been forthcoming with that information either. Very sneaky, painted queen. However it wasn't until Hotaru mentioned Midas that Gaucho's head rose in surprise, and a mischievous twinkle glimmered in his gaze. Midas? Tearing up an invitation from a child? He had seen the painted Czar not too long ago, and all seemed well. He hadn't mentioned anything of the incident, but had tried to reaffirm their alliance. Interesting ...

As she concluded, Gaucho let his dark mug lower once again, thinking. In his mind he searched for memories of when he had first arrived here .. when had this fight with the Basin begun? He couldn't quite recall .. although he knew Kri and Ophelia had formed an alliance when Ophelia led the Grey .. knew that the Throat had aided the Grey in taking over the Foothills .. and knew that the Basin had called upon the Grey to aid in their invasion.. The Throat had always stayed out of it, hadn't they? Gaucho only recalled the infiltration of Mauja and the attack upon the Throat. A cold horror suddenly filled Gaucho's chest, and his rugged face rose from Hotaru to stare into the sky, confused and contorted with concern. Had he truly taken his place as leader just to perpetuate a war that no one knew the beginning of? He didn't even know the leaders of the Basin, at least he didn't think so (oh how wrong he was). Did they know him? (yes, yes they did). Exhaling sharply Gaucho's gaze lowered to regard Hotaru once more. His stormy gaze searched hers, his focus switching from one coloured eye to the other, intently looking for answers or treachery.

"Gaucho...not remember why we fight. Only remember the Basin invasion...but...not know why. For land I suppose." Was that it? Was that really all it came down to? A land dispute?

With a gentleness that only a few saw, the Wildfire sighed. Things were easy when the world was simple and primitive. It was only when you threw words, war, and women into the mix that it started to get complicated. "In two days we go to Arch. Bring Phaedra and Stella back here. Ophelia will be there to take your Father. You come with Gaucho, but leave with her."

Although the bulk of their conversation was still seeping into his mind and required more time to consider, one thing was clear. Taking the spy had been a mistake. It had been hasty and unprepared and unplanned. Perhaps if Gaucho had to be more strategic and couldn't simply throw his weight around, forethought would be something he would have to take more seriously. Even now, perhaps he needed to take it more seriously. He didn't have time to walk her back, so remaining in the Throat would have to do. She would still be his prisoner but ... perhaps of a different sort now.

©

Hotaru

Easily more entranced and captivated by aesthetic and power than anything else, likely due to her belief that males were useless in most ways, Hotaru could not help but admit that the natural attractiveness Gaucho held was illuminated by the little smile he gave in response to her own laughter. The feeling of his eyes upon her was as warm and enticing as the flames that licked upon his wings, and she eagerly returned the sentiment, trailing each toned muscle with her doe eyes and allowing him full sight of her body with a simple natural shift of her hips. She didn't have the magic to illuminate and captivate as her mother did, but she knew subtlety and how to appear oblivious. She was still pleased to have made him smile, to loosen him up from the tight corset of anger he seemed to be made out of and constricted by. He could use a bit of fun now and then, truly.

Little though she may hold him in esteem when compared to those she truly respected and held beloved, his words warmed her, a compliment with few words but as strong as an anvil when the situation was regarded wholly. Her captor, lead of her herd's enemy, had just complimented her. Bringing her daughters into it only sealed the deal, and her smile began to glow as brightly as the Diviner fires that blazed eternally in his home. "And you are big, but your honor and courage are surely too big to be held within your body," she responded softly. Hotaru had not expected him to believe her at all, to broaden his mind away from his own narrow hatred. He had surprised her, in a way few had in her life. The compliment was well-deserved.

He was clearly still conflicted, mulling over the mass amount of information and challenging ideas that she'd dumped upon him. Of course, she did not anticipate an answer swiftly. It would take careful consideration, long and self-reflective for him to see from the eyes she had handed to him with reluctant trust. If only her leaders would not slay her for revealing perhaps a little too much about the Basin. But Hotaru knew her aces, and kept them well hidden. After all, maybe the Basin could consume the territory of the Falls? They had been so focused on the Edge and Throat, for all their years of existence, and yet had never triumphed. Having the Throat on their side would be an asset, surely? Would Ophelia and Deimos understand?

Birdlike shoulderblades shrugged delicately. "All I remember is what I have shared with you. Old blood loves to dry and stick the longest, both to hide and history." A sad tale to be told, Hatfields and McCoys, Capulets and Montagues, clutched in eternal battle with no real remembrance of how it began or why it continued.

His words took her by surprise, sweeping her off proverbial feet and she gawked rather stupidly at him for a moment. Composing herself, she let out a gust of breath. Returning to her daughters would be the sweetest relief she could imagine. "Thank you," she whispered, a little awed by his desire to find the truth, to realize he was wrong and set her free. To give her back her freedom and her home, and to also allow her to travel with him to see the body of her mother one last time...the lady bowed her head to him, grateful beyond words even as her pride simmered angrily to show him such submission. It did not last long because of that, but coming from someone like Hotaru, it meant so much more.

A smile tweaked her lips.

"You are far more complex a creature than you are given credit for, Sultan. I can respect that." The rose lass was the master of facades and trickery, after all. She was a multi-dimensional being with a thousand layers to misdirect and confuse those of feebler minds and weaker eye than she. Maybe Gaucho, too, was easily mistaken as something one-dimensional. "I will try my best to avoid your flock, perhaps you speaking with my leaders will eradicate those chances. I pray my quest ends soon, I don't want even more herds thinking I eat horses," she jested tentatively, eyes glittering with amusement as she clacked her teeth for emphasis. Of course, it was her fault for leaving so swiftly, gagging and sickened as she'd been by the last corpse and what she'd been required to do. Though she would not cease her quest, Hotaru did not want something like this to happen again.

lady lazarus, i rise
Credit

Plot with me here!
Ascended Helovian

wildfire

Not often, but occasionally, Gaucho wondered what the creatures of Helovia might think of him if they spoke his language. Were he privilege to Hotaru's prima facia assessment of him, he would have disagreed. He was not more complex, he was simply barred by the weird customs of Helovia and its distorted language. He appeared one dimension perhaps, because that was the extent his education would allow him to appear. Sohalia and his blood-kin had been learning his language, and had grown together because of it. Perhaps he wouldn't be viewed as such a war-headed pig if he could do more than string together primitive sentences. Mara was helping with that but .. it wasn't enough.

At her mention of her quest, the Wildfire snorted. He couldn't imagine being given such a task ... then again, if the Sun God had commanded it he would have done just as the pink one was doing. Perhaps they weren't so very different after all. Perhaps his tongue would be as sharp as Hotaru's if he were raised here, with this language.

As much as he had enjoyed their talk, his primitive mind was nearly full. He needed to think, to digest the things that she had said and plot a course of action based upon her wisdom. It was ironic, how interesting and well things were going now that the two had spoken, and the dun didn't want to hinder the momentum that was building. In his antlers Mara hissed softly, urging him to go before he said anything stupid.

"Three days." He breathed softly. He made no comment on her decision to remain away from his herd. She could do as she liked. Perhaps his confidence in her was misplaced, but she had earned for herself during their brief conversation, and so Gaucho would take the blame if he was wrong. Not for the first time he underestimated the damage the rosey mare could do.

Spreading his flaming wings from his flanks, Gaucho took to the skies. He would need to tell his herd what had occurred, needed to let them know the pink one was here. As he rose higher and away from her, he realized he hadn't bothered to ask her name. Mentally he wondered if Mara knew it, but the snake confirmed that she did not.

Well, pink spy it was that.

[Short so that we could move along with other things <333 Thanks for such an awesome thread!]

©