the Rift

[PRIVATE] !! The Hanging Tree

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
RASTA

hey sister, do you still believe in love, i wonder?

Time. Days. Months. Hours. How long had I been trapped in that cave? I didn't know anymore. It had felt like years, being stuck in the cold, damp confines of that cave. I didn't know when the sun had set, I didn't know when it had risen. I wasn't allowed outside, and so my circadian rhythm was knocked off balance. I was exhausted, but I wanted - no, needed - to know how long I had been missing. Time would heal all wounds, but did I even believe that anymore. Time is all based on perception…

Pain. The gash upon my right flank seemed to be getting worse, swelling and making it awkward to track up as I moved. Wince upon wince occurred as I tried to find different ways to walk that wouldn't cause me even more pain than I was already in. There was another gash from my throatlatch to shoulder, making it impossible for me to flex at the poll and collect up to make travel lighter across the ground. Bruises on my left side near my loin, and I couldn't flex my spine all the way anymore. It was getting worse, though, and I was afraid that if I was not healed soon I would not be able to move around anymore. Pain was not always good.

Movement. I shouldn't move. I shouldn't force myself to keep going, but I knew I had to. I found my way to the center of the herd land - the place that I deemed the most safe at this point in time. And, when I finally got there, I allowed my limbs to fold under me. Trembling, I closed my blind eyes and listened even more than before. Someone would find me, right? Someone would be willing to heal me soon? I didn't want to die. I couldn't allow myself to die…

@[Africa]

Image Creds | Coding by Schwartze

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Practically bursting after a week spent indulging on the bountiful fruits of Birdsong, Silas had wedged himself snugly into the fork of the tallest pine in the central meadow of their home. Though the oasis of Dragon’s Throat possessed its own delicacies, they were often few and far between, and while Africa had served tirelessly the Sun’s herd as Sultana, there had just been so little time to take advantage. A warm breeze curled down from the heavens, dragging lethargically the bristly roost he had chosen, but the star-flecked bird did not stir; his neck had twisted, tiny feathered skull buried beneath a shroud of silky feathers. He was sound asleep.

Below, his dapple grey bonded grazed quietly upon the sweet, succulent grass, mood far lighter than it had been in many years. She was thriving at last it seemed. Appetite had returned and already a new fullness fleshed out the ridges of her body; coat gleamed as the rich nutrients of this hidden world worked to heal both heart and soul. There was fond company too, to lift her spirits and for this, pale golden-haloed eyes sparkled all the brighter. There was an entirely different quality of life in the Falls to that which she had grown so wearisome beneath in the desert, and she revelled in the peace it brought.

There was a lull in the banter of the birdlife caught in the wood surrounding, and long coal-tipped ears swivelled forward across thick soft mane curiously. Her thin coat flinched as she regarded the sudden silence cautiously, and as her grey face high into the air nostrils sucked deeply, tasting, testing. Something wasn’t right. The scent she discovered startled her – Africa had forgotten that friends of old lingered with Midas here. Rasta! Widening eyes danced through the small meadow, and knees twisted beneath her turning weight. "Rasta!"

The pallid mare was standing just north, collapsing, and instantly memory of the last time they had spoken flooded her lurching mind. In no time lean legs were folding beside the blind friend, "Lie still, rest...." The Starry-Eyed heart ached to see the state of her friend – blood caked across sullied cream, wounds so gruesome that she cringed, sickened. Thoughts wondered as she worked, whether it was the murderer Midas had mentioned who had injured Rasta so awfully, but she steadied herself quickly and drew a deep cleansing breath. The magic stewing inside was not foreign to her. Already she had called upon its power to touch Confutatis...

Tender emerald shoots began to sprout from their earth-nest, cloaked in rich soil, purifying mud, all around the injured mare. They grew and grew, delicate vines slithering across fallen hide, encasing her where she lay, and Africa guided them wordlessly with compassionate, steady concentration. Before long, the crippled creature was covered; quivering leaves budded across the bulge of sprawled flesh beneath as Earth’s magic cleansed, and mud oozed between pulsing vines. Skin meshed together wherever it had been scored and swelling began to dull, bruising to fade.

"Dear friend," The Starry-Eyed whispered breathlessly at last. The vine were recoiling, shrinking back into the soil from which she had summoned them, and the dappled mare slithered down to her friend’s side. "Who caused you such pain?" Tenderly she nuzzled the bared neck between rambling mane, now clean and whole, and concerned eyes roamed the length of barrel spread out behind.
Africa

RASTA

hey sister, do you still believe in love, i wonder?

It was my name that jolted me just enough to begin to pay attention to the world. As my limbs folded, sweet lyrics hit my ears. Lie still. Rest. I could do that. A gentle, weakened snort escaped from my maw in agreement with the commands that had been given as my mind wrapped around the different vibrations near me.

So it seemed that Africa was dropping down next to me, her own legs folding as I felt the ground begin to shift and sprout. I had been healed this way once prior, but at that time I could see - just not speak. Lakota had healed me, with Alleo by my side. So, as I lay here I forced myself to concentrate upon these vibrations. Vines beginning to wrap me into a cocoon. It seemed to pulse, blooming and squeezing mud across my body as I felt my flesh begin to stitch itself back together. The swelling decreasing, throbbing ceasing, and even my spine beginning to realign into the necessary position. It was only once all of the pain had disappeared that these vines began to recoil into the soil below me.

Then, Africa was at my side, more words beginning to slip from her lips. Asking me who had done this, who had caused the pain. A tender touch was nuzzled against my neck. Now, to figure out how to explain this to her without causing concern. "I got lost… on my way back from the Throat… I don't know exactly how long I was lost before someone offered to help. Except his help… it was not help. He kept me in a cave for… too long. I truly don’t know if it was days, weeks, or months because I could never feel the heat of the sun. When I tried to leave he attacked me…" I paused, shaking my head a little in uncertainty. "I finally got free, and went to the east by judging the heat of the sun throughout the day, and then… when I hit the wall of vibrations in the Threshold… I went North." A gentle, shaky breath escaped my mouth. "I don't know him… There is no way to go after him. There is no need to go after him. I'm fine," I tried to reassure the mare who had been there for me in the Throat.

"But, Africa… when did you come to the Falls? Why are you not leading in the Throat? Don't they need you there? Don't they need their leader?" I was so confused. There was no logical explanation for Africa being here in the Falls and able to heal when she hadn't been able to before. Yet, here she was and I couldn't be more grateful for a familiar face at this moment.

Deceased
Beneath the tangle of thick grey mane and the wild, rolling dance of golden-red fire, wavering ears stilled to listen and leaned nearer to the pallid, fallen mare as she began to speak in fractured sentences. Naturally concern swept through Africa’s compassionate soul and her sensitive expression quickly reflected that feeling. Pale sandy eyes narrowed critically, although only for her own blundering blindness and not that of her friend. Why had vigilance and care not entered her head? Why had she not heeded more closely the very obvious need of her friend? The past was behind her however, and she had learned bitterly to not dwell on matters beyond her influence – turning thoughts over and over was a corrosive habit.

Rasta’s tale stirred memory of wraiths, rotted and revolting, from the recesses of her mind, and beneath a wince, the one-winged mare pressed lovingly her lips closer. "Oh, awful..." she winced once through a brief pause. It was a terrible account, sickening, and Africa could barely accept her friend’s feeble attempts to reassure. Even if the Earth could restore the dove’s health, sew back her broken skin and ease the sting of bruised flesh, the Starr-Eyed worried about the other mare’s mind – nightmares surely to follow. She wanted to delve into the memory of all which had happened, but the concentration was not there; there was not yet enough control to descend. Soon to the light golden girl was asking questions that seemed so irrelevant given her situation.

The healing vines vanished almost as suddenly as they had emerged and no trace of their growth lingered in the soil beneath or around Rasta’s body. Africa rocked to her knees, velvet nose lingering by the other longer, and each breath short and shallow as she tested the air between feverishly for any sign of remaining blood. "Gaucho has returned to Dragon’s Throat..." she soothed tenderly, hiding meticulously the streak of pain as it lanced her heart and roused a suffocating wave of guilt through her mind. "He is their rightful Sultan." Their... "I’ve made a bed here in the Falls now." There was so much more to the story, so many regrets and failings – but the Starry-Eyed could not bear to face them so soon.

"Can I bring you anything dear one? Birdsong has brought to ripen more fruit here than my eyes have ever seen before." Light laughter, brave distractions. Silas spread open his wingspan and the updraft of a warm breeze gathered quickly beneath his feathers. He lifted into the air above the canopy, but waited for his beloved’s cue before leaving.
Africa

give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

Two words left her mouth. I knew she meant the best, but what I had been through was nothing in comparison to her. I'd had a few bumps, bruises, cuts - yes - but she had lost a wing to something. I didn't know what, exactly, but the way that the vibrations placed the muscle around her had scarring - awkward scarring - and I doubted that she had decided to that getting rid of her wing was an intelligent idea.

I sighed a little, at the end, blind eyes searching for the sweet mare's as I felt her began to rock toward her knees. "It is nothing compared to what others have been through. I am used to torture - my body has been built off of abuse, Africa. Do not worry for me," there is a pause, "The strongest find their wings just as they are about to hit the sharpest of rocks. There is very little that can shred my spirit - it has been well protected for years far, far longer than your ancestors had breathed…" Oh, how I hoped that these words would help her, would ease her pain just a little. There was no need to worry for me. The gift she had been given had healed me, and I was physically well now. That was all I could ask for at the moment, it really was.

However, Africa spoke of Gaucho coming back to the Dragon's Throat, saying he was the rightful one and that she had taken her place in the Falls. I don't think she understands. A snort escaped my maw as blind eyes lingered upon her form. "Gaucho will bring them to unnecessary war. I did not trust him, then. You - You and Midas - you kept him from going off on a mistake. The Throat won't be the same…" I whisper, my mind reeling at the thought of Cera getting stuck in a mess, having to fight and not being completely able. "Is Cera still there? Is Cera okay?" Oh, how everything was slowly breaking.

A breath. It would be okay. It would be okay because Africa, Alleo, and Midas were here and I wouldn't allow my life to fall to shambles - not when I thought I was beginning to find the place that allowed me to fit in. She asked if I could use anything at all from the ripening fruit that was beginning to sprout across the herd land. Laughter. How she could laugh I wasn't sure, but I was glad that she was beginning to ease up, to hopefully not feel as much pain as she was before. Carefully, I rocked myself back up onto my feet, uncertain limbs shuffling forward until I was closer to Africa. "Water… and anything else, really, would be lovely…" I said, shifting my head a little as I attempted to concentrate on the land through the shaking vibrations of the Falls which muddled with my perception. "I can walk - everything's just… hazy. The waterfalls make it difficult.." I explain, looking back toward her and waiting for the one-winged mare to move. We could do this together. We would get through whatever this pain was together.

Image Credits

Deceased
Not once did her own crippling injuries ever glance through her mind. Africa was focused intently on the fallen mare, her sister, and the cruel affliction she had suffered. Rasta, above anyone else she knew, did not deserve the labyrinth of wounds dealt to her, the withholding of nourishment, of water - the one-winged mare sighed in utter disbelief, and shook literally the budding resentment from her gentle mind. Of course the pearly-eyed mare wore valiantly her troubles like they were barely ripple in the ocean of war and hatred. It was awful, that she wished not to be fussed over and the Earth Medic would heed no such direction. One final scan revealed no trace of the grim wounds which had been (no doubt scarring would glaze over time where the flesh had torn deepest), and she felt content enough move forward.

As Rasta too moved on, answering in turn the mention of the Wildfire, their eyes nearly locked and it was enough to provoke a memory to life before her eyes – bright and real, and the Starry-Eyed could not help but be swallowed.

She found herself gazing across a body of horses. It was a meeting, in a time long ago... Midas stood at their head, a younger version she thought and knew well the troubles soon to weary his soul, and his still energetic tone spread out like a warm blanket across them all. There was much to be covered that day – Kri the Resolutes’s leave was acknowledged and her successor, the Gallant, made formal. She was ignited by the Sun himself, gifted both the tasks of spiritual leader and messenger; a privilege which now she regretted for many reasons. So too was Gaucho installed beside Midas, and alone, the bold voice of Rasta rang out.

Her words in the present echoed the warning given in that meeting, though none really heeded it then, and she imagined the same would hold true today.

She found herself lost for words as she drifted back to reality, saddened by the prospect of war and ruin, but alas, she no longer had the strength or courage to stand among the fierce Dragon herd. Quiet thought of Sohalia the Transcended crossed her mind and her expression stiffened beneath a grimace – how could a dove so delicate, ever stand against such potency. It has already changed... she sighed inaudibly... Cera had not the same warmth that she recalled from his youth – when Midas had slept beside him. Africa felt he had become a cynical soul, though fiercer still through his faith in the Sun. "Yes," she hummed tentatively, "Cera is well."

Rasta suggested water in regard to the Starry-Eyed’s offer, and pastel-yellow eyes turned to the zephyr circling above. Any berries you can find, grains or grass... and the bird wheeled out of her view. She wasn’t sure just how she might retrieve a drink – there was no Sohalia to craft crystal cups, and she wasn’t sure if the Falls had any similar plants to the Throat’s Aquis Pipe. Another sigh and she glanced back to the pale palomino. "It will be a fine thing if you can walk, Rasta. I offered you water, but goodness only knows how I might bring it here..." Throwing her forelegs out ahead, Africa heaved upwards (and away) from her friend and once standing she turned again to nuzzle her fondly – only then did she realise her own weariness, the strength gone from her body. Midas had warned her that summoning the Earth to mend would sap energy.
Africa

I'm dead in the water, still looking for ya'

Still, she worried. I could feel her gaze upon me. I knew it wasn't going to stop - that she wasn't going to stop worrying, but I was hoping that my words would keep her from going overboard. Still, I tried to move on. I tried to change the topic. I warned about the wars that Gaucho was bound to start before I had to ask about Cera. After all, Cera had to still be there and I needed him to be well because he was one of the sweet ones who actually cared.

The answer I got was good. She said he was well, though it seemed a little held back - as if it wasn't the whole truth. "Is that all? Should I go find him again? Maybe we should go find him again. He deserves to be well… He deserves to grow up and find peace…" I said, concern ebbing into my voice. Cera needed to be well. Africa needed to be well. Midas needed to be well. And, most definitely Alleo needs to be well. Everyone needed to be well.

As Africa pulled to her feet, she was careful to rock away from me so as to not hit me. And then, she came back, nuzzling me as she seemed to stabilize herself. "Just make sure I don't go headfirst into a ditch or something and we'll be fine," I snorted, a smirk upon my maw. "I feel fine now, thanks to you. But are you okay? It must have been exhausting. I'm assuming the wounds I had were rather extensive - though I've never learned too much on the medical side."

A gentle pause, a bump of my maw against her before I started to move off toward where the nearest pool of water was. My steps were hesitant, uncertain of the terrain at the moment after being gone for so long and the massive vibrations from all of the waterfalls was just throwing everything off. So, when I finally arrived at the waterfall, I stopped, uncertainly lowering my head I only touched grass. Slowly, I inched forward until I placed a hoof into the water. And, then, from there I finally allowed my maw to rest into the cold water. Quenching my parched throat with the cool water and getting to actually take the replenishing liquid in.

Deceased
It came as little surprise that Rasta pursued the vague assurance that Cera, child of the Sun, was well. A distracted smile grace thin grey lips as she listened and heavy ears fell forward, flinching every so often when the murmur of a bird broke their focus – the pale palomino’s voice was lathered with concern.

Africa squirmed discreetly on the spot, almost desperate to turn the conversation right away from Dragon’s Throat business... "Honestly," she soothed, tone gentle and mild, "...when I saw Cera last, he was well. Sohalia the Transcended and I saw him rise to Diviner." She wasn’t certain whether he had been in the position when last the they had spoken, but it was definitely where he had been when she had bid the land of the Sun farewell.

"I fear neither of us are well enough for such a journey right now..."

Rasta lifted soon after the one-winged mare, smirking and making small light of the arduous trek along the cliffs that they faced next. It was a journey Africa had not often made – possibly enough simply to count on one hoof... But she chuckled softly in turn and nodded; maybe she would walk nearer to the edge so that her beloved friend could find some comfort with the wall rising as a stalwart barrier beside her.

She appreciated the Artisan’s concern, though she too wished not to bother others with the trivial woes in her life – the burden of the art just performed was nil in comparison, a gift, a pleasure. "The Earth’s power is something far greater than I imagined; I am fine though, thank you." She knew well that in time, the fatigue straining both body and mind would fade, and ecstasy far finer would ensue. After one last check over – Rasta was a bold heart after all, Africa stepped from the soft grass and up onto the first rock ledge of many to come.

She cast a careful eye along the path which would lead them into the territory behind the waterfall, and drew a long breath to hold. Hooves clattered and clicked as they strode along the rubble, hazardous path, but she lead with a brave smile and unfaltering determination. Through the veil of water, and for an hour further they walked – until the gentle sway of evergreen foliage and the harmonious hum of the wildlife within it enveloped them.

The end of the path drew near, and Africa was more than relieved when it faded away beneath her stride where the fresh Birdsong grass had risen in wake of the snow. Pleased with the accomplishment, both the unhindered journey and the healed return of her sister, the one-winged mare turned. "Doesn’t it feel good to be home?" That satisfaction had swept through her core the morning she woke beside Midas, a whole new life beginning.

Africa

Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

"Io vegliero su di te." he promised.

"I love you..."

Whatever else she said was lost to Alleo's ears. He sighed, his eyes closing as he let the weight of Rasta's words sink into his mind. "Ti amo di più."

"I... I don't know what that means."

"It means I'm watching over you." He murmured softly, though she was already fast asleep. "And I love you more."

While Rasta slept Alleo occupied himself with watching the moon as it arced across the sky then dipped below the horizon so the sun could take its place. Rasta was still fast asleep and with daylight growing he had been more comfortable with leaving her to go in search of a healer. His muscles protested and his joints popped as he rose to a standing position. The stallion had looked down at Rasta once more before moving away to search for a healer or someone who knew where he might find one.

Alleo had very little luck locating a healer and it was then that he had cursed himself for being so distant from much of the herd. If he said that he knew any of them on a personal level it would be a boldfaced lie. The only one that he knew was Rasta. Her desire to be there was the only reason he was in the Falls. If it were only him he would be in the Edge with his sister.

He gave up on his search and had turned to go back to retrieve Rasta and bring her father into the Falls because he was positive that someone would see her and recognize that she needed a healer. Voices caught his attention and his ears tilted forward, though he paid them little mind until he recognized Rasta's voice. His head turned and he began to search for her, spotting her pale form in the distance with someone else that he didn't recognize. Big surprise there. The tall stallion cantered toward the two, slowing and finally stopping when he reached them.

"Rasta." He breathed the mare's name, his neck stretching so he could touch his muzzle to her shoulder. His mismatched gaze then moved over to the other mare, taking in her appearance before he cleared his throat and spoke. "Hello, I'm Alleo."

"."

ooc://
according to google translate |:

io vegliero su di te - i'm watching over you
ti amo di più - i love you more

I'm dead in the water, still looking for ya'

I wanted to go see him. Part of me needed to be sure that Cera was okay. But, Africa was right, neither of us were capable of making the trek to the Throat - at least not right now. "We'll go later, though? Right? We'll go later…" It was plea, a plea to make sure that those I considered my family were alright.

Yet, we will still moved forward, both of us trying to make sure that one didn't end up pushing the other too far. Africa said it was fine, that she was fine, but I still doubted it. No, that didn't matter, and they both moved toward the water. It was only when they reached the water and I took a sip that Africa spoke once more - though I will admit that it was a comfortable silence.

She asked if it was good to be home and I nodded my head. However, before I could speak again I heard the cantering sound of hooves. And the vibrations that racked the frame coming toward us was that of Alleo's. A wide smile creased my maw, glad that I was okay and able to actually move so he wouldn't be concerned. Though, I still wasn't quite sure why he had left, I had assumed it was for a healer, so I had gone off as well - stumbling, but trying to get better for him - to get closer to the middle of her herd land. And, as he pulled up next to me I could feel the electricity that jolted through me every single time he was near. I forgot how good it had felt, I forgot how much I craved it - unable to focus on that through the pain that had coursed through my veins earlier. His muzzle brushed against my shoulder and I leaned into it, eyes shutting for a moment as I dropped my maw to press against his chest (should he allow it) and soak in his masculine scent of wood, water, sweat, and testosterone. "Alleo," I breathed, before allowing my orbs to open again.

He introduced himself to Africa, but I also allowed my voice to roll - a bit more confident than before and with more trills of happiness. It was hard not to radiate it when the shock of his presence was there. "Alleo, this is Africa. Africa, this is Alleo." A gentle pause as I breathed in once more and then turned to explain a little more. "Africa healed me, apparently she has risen to Earth Medic in my disappearance - my family from the Throat seems to have settled in here and it is wonderful to see them thriving. And yes, Africa. It's lovely to be home again" Carefully, I allowed some of my weight to rest against Alleo, to feel the support I hadn't been able to feel in so long. And, small remnants of the conversation from last night swirled through my mind. While the words in a different language were difficult for me to completely gather and recall I did manage to filter 'ti amo' through my brain. It was so similar to the Latin which I had grown up with over the hundreds of years (though, I wasn't certain exactly which language it was that said it in the manner he did I was pretty certain that it was the one that meant 'I love you') that I allowed myself to whisper, "Tee-ah-moh," under my breath - hopefully loud enough for him to hear, and hopefully the same way he had said it (I wouldn't want to butcher the beautiful language that rolled off of his tongue like a gentle caress). I needed him to know that I was coherent enough last night to remember it - that I hadn't completely faded, that I was fighting so he didn't have to always worry.

she's trying to repeat 'ti amo' so it's in a phonetic version instead of the actual italian words at the end XD
and aklsjfalj ADORABLE

Deceased
The distinct drum of approaching hooves unsettled her weary state of mind and long wilting ears stiffened to heed the sound. Pale, yellow eyes glittered with anticipation as they rummaged through the trees around them, searching for any murmur in the shadows and she could not help but slide a little nearer to her pastel companion.

Briefly she passed cautious eyes across Rasta’s strangely pearlescent stare, but a broadening smile was rising through the other mare’s expression and Africa couldn’t help but linger curiously. Who is it she asked silently? Partly to Silas who was perched nearby in a tall juniper, and half also to her listening sister – though she dared not interrupt with voice.

As the zephyr skipped from one branch to another higher up, there was a muffled rustle of movement. Shrewd violet eyes picked the path of a tall, mottled stallion and they narrowed carefully. Stallion... he answered his beloved, guarding tone from simmering concern. He was unfamiliar.

Still she watched the petite palomino, and instead of the wariness that had first prickled through her coat, Africa found curiosity bubbling into her mind. All questions were answered promptly as the striking beast slipped from his cover nearby and danced to the side of her sister – the pang of protectiveness quickly faded as they caressed one another adoringly. Lean white forelegs shuffled to the side, granting his intimidating presence complete access, and she regarded him at first only with a shy nod.

There was a fresh not of elation as Rasta’s voice rang forth in turn, introducing Africa, and demurely the one-winged smiled. "Hi..." she barely whispered when she figured it was appropriate, and again the blind mare’s words slithered into existence. Her long frame swayed subtly as she watched subconsciously the weight of her friend lean against Alleo. Unsure if she should say anything further – or if they had private matters to discuss – she drew a breath and mentioned, "it is a beautiful part of the world, praise the Earth..."

A gentle, thoughtful smile curled apart her lips, as she dithered before the couple. The Starry-Eyed really was not sure what else to say.
Africa