Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
G
A
U
C
H
O
<style type="text/css">.words {font: 14px/13px droid sans; color: #454444; text-align: justify; padding: 20px 0 20px 0;} .words:first-letter {font: 50px/50px oswald; float: left; text-transform: uppercase; margin: -2px 1px -7px 0;}</style>
Panzram's words sounded like a cacophony of sound as they entered Gaucho's ears, even though the syllables were relatively few, and the intonation regular.

As Panzram rose onto his hind-legs in what was presumably a show of strength or perhaps a precursor to a charge, Gaucho's formidable and flaming wings unfolded from his sides. If the oddly patterned stallion wanted to play the whose is bigger game, Gaucho was more than up for the challenge. Gaucho's blue-striped chest swiveled to face his weirdly-horned opponent, just as he began to charge. The dun hadn't any time to allow his gaze to linger on Panz' odd assortment of horns (or was it all one horn?), although he had sparred enough unicorns in his past to know that it would surely be used as a weapon, and if the stallion wasn't a completely idiot, a fairly effective one in close quarters.

Gaucho's ears flattened against his skull as his hind legs ignited with energy beneath him, propelling him forward to meet Panz' attack. Gaucho's nose was brought inward, so that his antlers pointed outwards slightly. The unicorn's horn looked barbed, or perhaps merely spiked. Trying to catch it in his antlers would have to be a last resort, lest he take one of those red-tipped points to the eye. However that didn't seem to be a problem, for when they were hardly more than a stride out, his opponent's head turned slightly to the left. Conditioned by instincts and years of practice, Gaucho's body fluidly surged slightly to the left as well, placing their shoulders on a collision course. It was a move Gaucho had used many times - although much more frequently since he received his bone collar a few seasons prior. Although the spikes weren't terribly long - only 2 inches at the most - they provided a wonderful deterrent. And for those who didn't heed their visual warning, offered lovely scars.

With a grunt, Gaucho braced for impact. However no amount of forethought could have prepared him for what was about to come.

As Panzram's body collided with his own, Gaucho should have been able to feel their flesh momentarily meld together. It was a sensation that he had experienced often in day to day life, and perhaps even more during spars. Feeling the heat of another's body as their muscles strain and pull against your own; taking the moisture that their body produces as your own, coating your hide with their foam and lather and scent. How many times during BirdSong, when shedding was high had he come away from a spar covered in the hair of another? Either leaving molted looking, or with a thicker coat as if he had gained hair?

Gaucho knew that he was going to feel shoulder against shoulder - knew it for his body calculated that they would certainly collide - and if you could have paused time, Gaucho could have explained exactly how it would feel, having felt the way this exact attack felt many a time before.

So when it didn't come, when the feeling of pain was not accompanied by any tension or point of impact, Gaucho's mind reeled nearly as much as his body did. The unicorn's forceful shove sent Gaucho stumbling abruptly to the left. His shock at having felt nothing during the point of impact cost Gaucho the opportunity to shove his spikes into his newly minted opponent - any injury from them would have to have been out of his own stupidity, rather than Gaucho's planning. Gritting his teeth as his legs quickly calibrated to the circle Panzram forced him onto, he cantered sharply to the left (his primitive guidance system's attempt at avoiding a kick from the unicorn in passing), antlered skull swinging inward to try and find his wraith-like attacker. There was something extremely unsettling about the dull ache that blossomed up through his left shoulder and the base of his neck given that it was unaccompanied by any sort of physical instigation. Not one that Gaucho felt anyways.

Still mentally recoiling, Gaucho fanned his blackened wings downwards, shooting an arc of fire out from his already burning feathers. The blast radiated outwards from him, losing energy at around 30ft. But that was enough, or so the Wildfire thought. It was the Sun God's magic that was at work on Gaucho, not a trick that the appaloosa had under his control. Whether or not Gaucho could feel Panzram's attacks, the Wildfire was sure that he would be able to feel Gaucho's.

Everything burns if the temperature is hot enough.

Setting: Midday. Average temperature, slight breeze. Set near one of the edges in a grassy field with a stream running through it.
Summary: Charges at Panz - he moves left when Panz does so that their right shoulders collide. Gaucho rebounds off to the left and canters a tight circle looking for Panz, and shooting an arc of fire in his direction.

Timeline: Regular
WC: 760
Attack: 1.3
Teaching notes:

I think you did a really great job of explaining Panz's reason for being on the Island and for sparring Gaucho. The whole "his bark is probably stronger than his bite" thing really works given that he's hollering, and I really liked the analogy to a brightly coloured insect - given that he has brightly coloured markings himself!

I especially liked Panz's musings about the namings of the seasons here, as I've often been like FFFFTTT WAT SEASON IS THIS. WHERE AM I. HOW DO THESE WORK, so I'm right on board with him. In fact, Gaucho probably would be too.

One thing I would suggest when sparring is to look at the items that your partner has, as well as their magic and companion. I didn't really say Mara was hiding, so Panz might have seen her (she is rather long and steel coloured, so she contrasts with him rather than blending in), and you'll have to watch for his magic. I try and describe it accurately, but sometimes it might be confusing (or in sparring others it might be confusing), and so knowing exactly what your opponent is capable of (their magic restrictions) can be super helpful. The biggest thing I would say given your attack, is maybe not taking into account Gaucho's spiked-collar as much as you should have. You mention that Panz' body might hit Gaucho's shoulders, which is going to send it right into about 2 inches of pointy bone. Ouch.

So when sparring it's always good to look into those things so that you can plan ahead for attacks! It's also a great way to take realistic damage!

All in all your attack was great. My only suggestion is to try and think of how your opponent might respond and possibly account for that. If Gaucho stood still, I think your attack would be solid. HOWEVER, Panz calls out to him and rears BEFORE charging. So it isn't like Gaucho is just going to stand there. Even if this wasn't a spar I think most equines would probably face each other. Given that, it sort of makes Panz' head turn ineffective because he's actually moving it away from Gaucho. One way to account for this might be just the added line of "...and should the giant idiot be smart enough to face me , so be it. My shoulder would find flesh to shove, and my horn would seek out his wither or whatever else he might put in my path." Something like that?

Table coding by the lovely Sevin!
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Messages In This Thread
Kaleidoscope of loud :: Panzram spar - by Gaucho - 12-17-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: Kaleidoscope of loud :: Panzram spar - by Gaucho - 12-30-2014, 01:56 AM