the Rift

[RANDOM EVENT] Mjǫtuðr

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

I will not be ignored

How many days had he traveled to get here? To step amongst the holy shrines and wait for the sense of divinity to suffuse his being, fulfill his soul, for the light of devotion to blind him?

He felt nothing as he stared down the Moon Goddess' shrine, empty and hollow it lay, just like the vacuous and fickle deity herself. A hoot drew his attention to the same damnable cloud forming nearby as had done so last time he visited here, urging him onward and upward, towards that strange floating place in the sky.

And a thought struck him - why the hell not?

These Vanir were holed up in their heavens, descending when it suited them to insult, harass, humiliate, reject and, on exceedingly rare occasion, bless the pathetic mortals below.

Why not ascend to them? To her?

Firmly stepping solid hooves on the strangely dense cloud, Torleik remained stiff and still as he was carried up through the air this time around. If the bitch would not hear him on the ground, he would knock on the sky and demand her audience among the clouds. Irelyn wheeled happily in lazy circles around him, thrilled he was flying again so that he might experience the proper way to move about. At this moment he saw it as a means to an end, a necessary transportation to the rapture he would demand of the hollowly sacrosanct figure he'd so long revered.

Stepping off onto the rocky ground almost before the cloud finished its path, Torleik stalked towards the only landmark he knew: the arena in which he'd sparred with Serenity. Stomping past, the Bloodskald felt he could not stop walking until he felt...something. Anything. Until he found the place he was meant to be. Through trees, over a stream, past a cave (and after all, why wouldn't a cave be on a floating magical island...), his eyes locked onto a promontory not one hundred yards ahead.

His path ramrod straight, the rune-etched viking halted at its peak, gazing out at the empty, wind-whipped sky below. Torleik should have been afraid, but the magic pressure he felt holding him back and the anger pushing him forward clashed, erasing all instinct. Throwing his head back, the Bloodskald howled at the sky.

"SO CALLED GODDESS OF THE MOON, I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME! LONG HAVE I WORSHIPED YOU, FROM THE DAYS OF MY FUMBLING YOUTH TO THE DARK MOMENTS OF MY LATER YEARS! NEVER ONCE HAVE I FAILED TO OFFER YOU PRAISE OR SACRIFICE, YET YOU WOULD REJECT ME IN FAVOR OF A PATHETIC, DRUG ADDLED BASTARD?!" he thundered, throat already feeling raw from his violent yelling. "Never once have you revealed yourself to me, blessed me, acknowledge my lifelong service, and I will be damned if I toil piously for nothing!" he snapped, well-aware he didn't have to yell.

He struggled to keep the sneer from his face as the words continued. "Clearly I do not have your favor due to whatever faults you see fit to inscribe on my soul, so I will ask this of you and nothing more: if a life's worth of faithfulness without any divine reassurance is worth anything to you, grant me an advantage over my enemies in battle," the Bloodskald finished, waiting, staring expectantly into the sky, confident his sheer rage would bring the goddess down from her throne on high.

He had more faith than a small village, and never once had he wavered. He deserved this more than a substance-abusing piece of shit deserved intoxication.

"talk talk talk"

@[Random Event]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Using my VOTG pass to quest for Torleik's armor from the Moon Goddess.

Art by araxel @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

An icy wind tore through the serene landscape. The peaceful setting was instantly disturbed as the temperature dropped. A hush fell all around, as if Torleik's demands had somehow shattered the Island's ability to create sound. Tendrils of invisible air currents wrapped themselves around Torleik, binding him where he stood. Invisible hands groped at his braids, pulling them taunt against his neck, and applying a subtle amount of pressure. Although the wind was cold, its bite was not necessarily painful. Not if you were into that sort of thing, anyways. Darkness descended as the General must have assumed it would, for who else other than the Goddess wielded such powerful wind magic?

Silvery laughter heralded her arrival, as her body blossomed somewhere behind the immobilized unicorn. Her lilac form slunk forward, like some sort of would-be cat who had just caught their dinner for the evening. Her body was deliciously graceful, the softness of her pelt unrivaled. Stars danced in her unreadable gaze as she prowled forward, her petite frame emphasized by Torleik's larger and more robust one. Amusement and annoyance winked in and out of her gaze as she moved next to Torleik's left shoulder, mane tossed lightly over her delicate shoulders. "Never again will you take that tone with me." She breathed, voice light but as sharp as any unicorn's horn. Her words seemed to hiss from her lips, as her gaze darkened, promising that she would gladly fulfill her end of this threat should he fail to heed it.

Her body, disconnected with the viciousness of her voice continued to exude feminine appeal and power as she moved under Torleik's chin, almost gliding upon the ground. She seemed to very much be enjoying the General's immobilized state, taking advantage of it by passing painstakingly close to his chest. Close enough that the heat of her body would have been felt like a flame compared to the icy chords that held him. With a wisp of a snarl her magic tightened around Torleik's lips barring him from replying. Casting a glance at him as she moved out from under his chin and forward, she paused. "You've said enough for now."

Dancing forward in the darkness, her body illuminated by some unseen light, she spun easily upon her hind legs to squarely face him. The Bloodskald. Her nostrils flared as she regarded him calmly.

"And what is it that you've done to deserve my recognition ? My time and attention? You dwell in the lands of one brother, and bear the magic of the other two. Tell me precisely what is it that I need you for? I have Captains in the Edge, as brave and strong as you although ..." With a darkening smile the Goddess winked. "Although perhaps not so handsome ... Never the less-" She continued, her amusement and flirtatious tones immediately disappearing as her gaze became serene once again. " You stand here and scream like a colt, all the while pretending to know my intentions and motives for doing what I do. You think visiting my shrine once and appearing like every other dullard here who wants something from me each time I step onto the ground will curry favour with me?"

The invisible tendrils pulled tightly against Torleik's skin as the Goddess's gaze narrowed. As an irritated breath left her lips the binding disappeared all together leaving Torleik free to move as he desired. From what she had seen of the Bloodskald he was much more clever than this. Oh his plan had worked - perhaps he surmised that this little display was sure to bring her down, if only to further toy with him. But where would it lead? What was his end game? For she was quickly growing bored with his temper tantrum.

"Why should I help you?" She concluded, gaze even and intrigued.

Torleik the Bloodskald

Show enough - you've got your hand on the button now

The febricity of the air around him plummeted and the stallion saw the arcane tendrils of opaque air suddenly clutch at him, the sensation of the fingers snatching and pulling at his mane and pulling, coupled with his seething anger, only served to offer the Bloodskald a strange kind of arousal.

So she wanted to fight back with a show of force.

He would disappoint her by neglecting to be intimidated, it seemed.

Light was sucked out of the world, this moment the antithesis of that instant that heralded creation in an explosion of light, warmth, and energy, and tinseled mirth darted and snaked through the air, simultaneously piercing and caressing the soft fur of his ears. Frozen topaz orbs gazed narrowly at this divine being as she slithered to him, speaking words meant to threaten.

She was a fool if she believed threats would unnerve a warrior. Would he heed her command? Possibly, out of wisdom - but not fear. Never again would he let fear rule him. The Goddess of the Moon slid beneath his chin, her heat nearly burning him and he felt his muscles tense, his own body recoiling within his skin, trying to pull back, get away, it was fire; but he was held fast by her magic, and now she had succeeded in introducing a measure of fear into this mix of anger and arousal.

Was this what it meant to want to mate with someone out of anger? What was it he'd heard it called...? To hate-fuck someone? Yes, that seemed apt. But the weak desires of his flesh were pushed aside for the Goddess' words that blasted away all other sensation, stripping him back down to the core of his reason to be here: rage. She questioned him, his devotion, his worth - and for what? That he chose to live in the Basin with family? That he had, of no volition of his own, acquired magic that was not hers?

A realization struck him like a shard of ice erupting from the ground and hurtling right through his heart. These deities were no more special than the mortals that walked on the ground. They had their magic and their power, and their immortality, but all it served was to allow petulant children to explore and satisfy their every whim and fancy so long as time continued to methodically drag itself forward. If this goddess had no inkling of his devout worship of her (though perhaps in another form) outside of this land, then she was not so powerful as he'd been raised to believe. The borders of Helovia were much more so, indeed.

Her wink and flirtatious compliment were utterly lost on him now that Torleik felt he saw through the ruse, and he merely raised a brow in reply - since, of course, she did not want him to speak. How utterly impressive it was, her display of brute force to silence him when she did not enjoy his vocal displeasure with her actions, or lack thereof. Did she not understand that gods were accountable to their people if they wished to retain any manner of worshipful congregation? Perhaps she simply didn't give a damn. Perhaps her vanity would not let her see.

Well then, he would enlighten her.

She finally released his lips and form, but Torleik saw no particular strategic necessity in moving. Did he assume he would win this battle? Not at all. No mortal bested a god. But he would not be made out a pile of refuse in her world when he could have been the spearhead of her armies, the singer of her praises, composer of her poems, gathering the blood of her fallen enemies to use as his ink, the burnt ash of their bodies as his warpaint.

No one in this place knew what he was capable of, least of all this goddess, it regretfully seemed.

"You are so petty as to count me at fault for a home offered to me by the only family I have left? None of yours sought me out, and those I have interacted with have been the foulest, most ignorant níðingr I have encountered in this land!" The Bloodskald's words were sharp, but heedful of her warning, his tone did not stray to that which he had used to bring her down. "I did not ask for this magic I have - it simply came upon me over time as I have resided here. When I encountered the God of the Sun I asked for nothing from him, only sought to be respectful - and he spat in my face with his mockery. I requested purpose from you because my heart was weak and I was drowning in my own inadequacy and inaction; and you have been my North star throughout the years."

The blood-poet snorted. "It seems you know nothing of what occurs outside of this land if my lifelong devotion to your image, your deified nature means nothing more to you than the once I have seen you in this place. You could have had anything you wished of me. You could have used me however you wanted. I would have prophesied for you, composed song and poems for you, lead your armies and killed for you."

Torleik's eyes became colder than the air around them, expression sharp and hard as an arctic glacier. "You chose a drug-addict instead, one who does not reside in your land and who asked for you to perpetuate his mental and physical weakness." The shadow of a smirk quirked his scarred lips, and he shifted slightly, gazing upon the admittedly beautiful Vanir in front of him. Her physical form was without blemish or flaw, utterly desirable and tantalizing. A shame he could not feel the same about her soul. "You say I make assumptions on your intentions and motives - I do not. To be frank your motives and intentions mean nothing to me, as my life is but a blink in the universe and my understanding minuscule." He took a small step forward, sizable enough to relay his stubborn will. "You ask why you should help me. I ask, why shouldn't you? If worship means anything to you, then this question is already answered. My whole life has been worship of you. If you choose not to help me, you are a hypocrite and show your true colors. Do you value loyalty? If so, this question is already answered, for you are my patron goddess, and I worship no others here as I worship you. If you do not, then you are no better than the mortals above which you hold yourself, for you are equally as petty and fickle as they."

His gaze bored into hers. "Are you not divine?"

@[God of the Moon]
@[Random Event]

"talk talk talk"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: So slight edit. Since the giving tree gave Torleik his armor, this will be a quest to enchant said armor. :D

Art by araxel @ DA

No man is an island.

Helovian Ancient
Admin
[undefined=undefined]

The Goddess was growing bored of this little palaver and fast. She had no need to explain herself to Torleik much less anyone else, including her own kin. Little by little her patience clawed backwards, revealing an icy disdain and glare upon her beautiful features.

"And why should mine have sought you out? You are nothing. They, like me, have no need of you." She laughed cruelly in his face. If this was an indication of the direction of the rest of the conversation, the Goddess would not remain long enough to hear it. Was he really going to play the pity card? I didn't know where else to go ... they took me in.. That was supposed to support his charge of his strength? His reverence? That he would be so easily thrown from her grace and light by mere relations and convenience?

Her lilac tail flicked as he mentioned her brother, silver eyes rolling out of boredom. "I care very little about what my brother does. Perhaps you annoyed him as you are annoying me. " She snapped.

However surprise and genuine confusion graced her delicate features as he mentioned the lands outside of Helovia. What did she care about those lands for? It was here, in Helovia that her magic reigned supreme, that she controlled the darkness of the void and the winds. Did he really think that her interest in him - or anyone else - should extend beyond where she was queen? What interest had she in areas where she had no power? No claim? Snorting the Goddess shook her head, attempting to cut him off from continuing but failing. "Your actions outside of Helovia are of little consequence to me Bloodskald. I am Helovia's sole guardian of the depths of night and its winds." She replied dismissively, not realizing that it was to her that Torleik thought he had pledged himself all those years ago. "I picked the addict because he is amusing. His weaknesses can be easily exploited. But you? With your pride, your ego, your braids? You are predictable. Boring. A warrior? Lovely. I have plenty. What shall I have you do for me? Write me a sonnet? Spill some blood? You and a hundred others"

She ignored largely his retort. If it was meant to corral her into helping him in order to save her vanity it would not work. He had no leverage with which to tie the lavender beauty down.

"There will never be a time that I am not worshiped. Never be a time that my powers cannot envelope and suffocate all others. I am worshiped because I am the queen of Helovia. Those who do not recognize that deserve the fates that will befall them. And those that do, do not demand such petty reassurance or coddling as you seem to. Do you know how many hundreds here worship me? I owe no allegiance to you boy simply because you have chosen to worship the strongest God. I would think you a fool if you did not, but you do not deserve praise for making a smart decision. " She paused, unsure of whether or not to continue this idle chatter or simply to leave. Yet the stallion had proven a fair conversationalist thus far. At least he was competent enough to respond to her questions.

"Mere worship entitles you to nothing, although so far your worship...leaves much to be desired. You've been in Helovia what? A year? Two? And what have you done? Visited a broken shrine? Watched as did many others when I descended into the Woods? Is that all Torleik? You say you would do things for me. Would lead armies, kill, compose ballads but what have you done? The answer is nothing. I do not want your worship when it is comprised of mere words. I will not accept that as a token of anything when it is you who demands things of me first. That is not how this works. Those who dwell in my lands receive my favor. Those who do things in my name, my honour, receive my favor. Those who merely talk about it get nothing. "

Her tail lashed behind her like some sort of wildcat waiting to pounce. This was it. His last chance, his last stand to say something worth hearing. But if all he had to offer was his scorned pride because she had not done enough for him, she would go. Let her brothers handle him.

Torleik the Bloodskald

I don't know what it is about the way, the feeling of a different decay

Torleik's brows furrowed, wondering what the hell he was supposed to do to be worthy if worshiping her all his days didn't even warrant her 'herd' seeking him out to recruit him. It cut to his core that she had no need of him, that she felt him so small and insignificant that she would spit this in his face, lord it over him that she was so great and mighty and cared not one fucking bit about him.

And after all his faith. All his prayers. All his love.

The Bloodskald's words continued but a maggot had found its way into his brain when the Goddess of the Moon snapped back to him that she was the sole guardian of Helovia's night and winds - so why should she concern herself with what happened outside of the borders of this place?

Never a time she would not be worshiped.

Never a time she would not be strong.

She was the queen of Helovia.

Of Helovia only.

Of course.

To her, as she stated, his worship had only been a paltry, pathetic offering. It all made sense now. Every insult, every cutting breath, every demoralizing rejection. His lifetime of worship meant nothing to her because he had never worshiped her. Every prayer had been given up to the sky, for what? To whom? Every offering, every act of valor, for what? To whom? Were there even gods in the land he'd come from? Any deities that resided over his home? And as he felt the ground giving way beneath his hooves, crumbling and letting him fall, Torleik could not bring himself to meet the lilac form of the goddess in front of him any longer.

A cruelly wry smile quirked his scarred lips and the blood-poet snorted bitterly, his only defense against this world-breaking revelation sarcasm and doggedly marching onward. He could feel later. Deal with it later. Fall apart later. Not here. Not now. Not in front of her.

"You are right," he murmured, voice trembling just the slightest bit. "I have worshiped the idea of you my whole life, but where in this world is there anyone like you but you?" The question was not pandering, nor fawning; no sycophantic lies would pass his teeth. "Where in the world are you a power but in this land?" Torleik shook his rune-horned head. "My failures mount, and my ignorance shames me time and time again. My life has been prayers to what? Air? Nothing? Deeds done in the name of one who I haven't a clue ever existed, now." He gritted his teeth. "But you? You are real. You are here. I can demand nothing of you because I have given nothing. I ask, instead, what you want from me that I might be shown a small favor - that you might bless my armor with magic so that I will never be without it."

The Bloodskald's eyes had been fixed to the ground the entire time and he did not lift them now. He would not grovel. How could he know that her power did not extend over all of the world he knew? He could he know that he worshiped two different moons? His was not willful ignorance and he did not need to beg forgiveness for his simple, mortal understanding of deities and their power. If she showed him mercy and offered him a task or a trade, he would be surprised. He expected to be turned away and cast aside, just as all the other gods had done. He was nothing to them, held no value. Torleik accepted that, now. All that remained was to finish this small quest of his, to see if he could get what he wanted somehow.

The outlook, however, was bleak.

@[Random Event]
@[God of the Moon]
"talk talk talk"

Art by araxel @ DA

No man is an island.

Helovian Ancient
Admin

He started off by admitting that she was right; what every woman loves to hear. So she stayed, the lines of her elegant and sleek body becoming more and more relaxed as he spoke. Ahhh so that was it then. That others could have power that reflected or even rivalled her own was not a topic of thought the Goddess often pondered. It ignited a fury within her that left ugly and deep wrinkles upon her brow. No one likes to be confronted by their own limitations, least of all those who act as if they have none.

That she was real was obvious, but that his desire to prove himself to her was not quite so clearly justified. Why? He had been professing is adoration to particles of dust, why should any of that devotion transfer to her now? He had clearly been mistaken. Perhaps there was much he was mistaken of. In his mind (ohh yes, she wheedled her way secretly into the waves of his mind, if not its depths) she saw Ophelia. Ophelia who worshipped the Sun. And what would this warrior think of that? Why not follow the Sun instead? Indeed why follow any of them - he had done well for himself so far it seemed, with his prayers being answered only by the sweat of his back.

Still ...

She would not send him away. Perhaps his beliefs were irrational and held no real foundation, but those were the strongest of all. For what could falsify that which did not rely on evidence? All he needed to know was that she existed, and indeed she did.

Her tail gently swayed behind her body now, much more feminine and alluring than her previous stance that suggested she might kill him at any moment. Her eyes glistened with starlight, twinkling with amusement and a hidden agenda for the steed. "Just imagine how boring the tale of your beginning as a knight of the moon would have been, had I merely sent you off on some errand in the woods. No better than the Addict." She began, her voice a powerful melody. "Your conviction is impressive Torleik. As are your-" Her eyes drunk in his body with an insatiable appetite, as her delicate head tilted slightly to allow herself full view of his robust physique. "-skills. Since it is to me you have already pledged your loyalty I shall reward your efforts, however mistaken they may have been on two conditions. The first, is that you shall swear your unbreakable fealty to me. The second, is that I shall call upon you at some later date when I need your service. You say that you would lead my armies, fight my wars and write my praises, but I have a much more ... delicate matter that I will need assistance with."

Her velvety lips turned upwards as she cast an approving gaze upon the stallion who only moments ago she had considered banishing, or perhaps abandoning. Now that her haste had been quelled she saw him for exactly what he was - that which he had always professed to be. A devoted warrior, a champion of the moon.

"Do you accept my terms?"

Torleik will be gifted his enchanted armour now on two conditions: The first is that he swears loyalty to the Goddess. The second is that he obligates himself to her future service.

Torleik the Bloodskald

So show me love

Pride was a bauble the Bloodskald had much of, but he was not a fool. When he was wrong, he was wrong - there was no point in adding shit to shame by refusing to admit it when it was right in one's face. Had he been privy to the machinations of the goddess' mind, Torleik most likely would have agreed with her sentiment.

Why follow any of them?

He had done well enough for himself his entire life without the help of a single diving being of any sort (as far as he knew, at least), so why start now? Perhaps because he could not simply give up what he had once believed was such an important part of his existence when the massive temple he'd constructed in his soul for the gods had come crumbling down around him. The foundation of his faith still remained, though cracked and chipped and in places pulverized to dust.

He was not ready to sweep it all away and expose the raw, fertile dirt of firsthand knowledge just yet.

Torleik's snort at her pricking words directed at Oxy was somewhat half-hearted, though he was amused. His eyes watched hers roam over him and he felt warmed in a strange, almost violated way. To earn any manner of desire from a goddess...he was mortal. The rabicano felt himself unworthy of eliciting such sensations. There was only one whom he wished to light that fire within and she seemed almost incapable of that sort of feeling. It figured. Choosing the difficult path was a skill of the Bloodskald's.

The Goddess of the Moon said she would accept his loyalty if he pledged himself to her and offered his services for a later day when she had need of him. An alarm went off in the back of the general's head knowing that this deal was heavily slanted in the divine bitch's favor...but his weary and battered soul simply could not muster the will to care. What did it matter if he said yes? Torleik's suspicions were highly aroused, however, by her statement that she had a delicate matter for him to aid her with.

Did she require his skill with words? His calm demeanor in a heated argument? Wintry eyes narrowed, mulling this over. Delicate. Delicate. One favor. His shoulders relaxed. One favor in a lifetime. If it was a mistake it would be only one mistake. Torleik could live with that. Or maybe that was his apathy talking.

"Mortals are breakable by nature and thus so is their loyalty," he began wryly. "But my brokenness is yours." The words were murmured with no fire or roar of passion, delivered instead like the quiet passing of a cold howl of wind. Fitting. "I accept."

The dread in his heart told him he had made a mistake already, but he was doing this to be stronger, to be more capable, able to protecting those he loved. Torleik had failed his loved ones once before and he would die before he let harm come to them again, in this land he now called home. If that meant personal sacrifice, hating himself for the decisions he had to make...so be it.

@[God of the Moon]
@[Random Event]

OOC: Five hundred years later. Sorry. -_- This can be wrapped up now.

Art by araxel @ DA

No man is an island.