the Rift

[OPEN] A New Tale Begins[Egg Hatching]

Kvothe Posts: 62
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 6 || Frostfall
Elodin :: Dik-Dik :: None Tribs
K V O T H E

I was in love. The grand turtle on the island had granted me a small, fragile-looking egg. I didn't know what the turtle's logic was behind it, I was no bird, imcouldn't keep it warm like it's mother could. But I did my best, keeping the egg nestled in my thick mane, and I kept my gait as smooth as I could as to not jar my precious burden.

The grass beneath my hooves turned to sand, then hard packed earth, although considering the grasses that sprouted around, rain had been kind here. The desert. I was close, and mentally I winced. Five days I had told Spice. It had taken me longer, little over a week. Not too late by most standards, but for me it was horribly delayed.

In the distance loomed a massive wave of heat from some sort of crater. I didn't go near it, to fearful the heat would injure my precious cargo. So I settled instead for finding a warm spot to lay the egg down, and I quickly built a little nest of sand and scrub brushes for it.

Like an anxious mother hen I grazed with one eye focused upon the white shell. I wasn't a violent being by any means, but when a snake went near my egg, admittedly I scared it off by threatening to hurt it with horn and hoof. Under my watch nothing would harm this growing child. Especially not when... when something was coming. Something that kept me on edge, nervously grazing around my egg.

Eventually I couldn't take it any longer, and returned to my egg's side to stand and wait. My lips ran over the white shell, searching for cracks or damage. It felt warm... was the egg too hot? I toss my head with a snort, bells chiming. And for once they irritated me. The noise was distracting, I needed to focus on my charge... how could I disappoint the turtle by killing this egg in my distraction? I continued to walk around egg, anticipation broiling in my chest with each passing minute.

@[Rei]
"Speech speech specch."

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

"Kvothe!" I recognized the sound of his bells and called out to him while his form was still nothing more than a speck. An ambling canter carried me to his side. "What has brought you all of the way out here? If you haven't been into Helovia's Heart I insist on showing--"

My words were cut short whenever I caught sight of the egg. That was why he was out here.

"Good thinking bringing it out here where it is quite warmer." His nerves were quite apparently all over the place, "You are already looking to be a great momma!" I tried to lighten his mood laughing gently I bumped my nose against his shoulder.

Slightly extending a wing I plucked a few feathers wincing slightly as they came free. Daintily stepped up to the egg I nestled the feathers on and around it hoping to help some.

"It isn't much, but I just had to help." A fond gaze went from the egg to Kvothe. It was endearing to see him so anxious over the egg. "Mother birds are always singing and twittering to their young, even while they rest in their eggs. Maybe your youngling would like it if you told it a tale." Blushing at my own suggestion I turned my gaze back to the egg. Could the creature inside even hear us? "Or it could just be me itching to hear a story." I lifted my wings slightly and readjusted them in a shrug like motion and cast a wink his way.

@[Kvothe]

Credits: Thank you Shady and Tamme!
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Outcast
K V O T H E

A call, my name, heralds the arrival of a certain flecked mare i had met not too long ago. As i raise my head she arrives on the scene, and my ears flick back at her presence. She was such a high-strung mare i feared she may step on my charge in a fit of excitement. So i move to the side, the egg between my forehooves. This movement seemed to call her attention to the small shell, and she applauds my forethought in bringing the egg to a much warmer climate.

"Thank you." I say, my tone rather strained as she bumps her nose to my shoulder. I was in no mood to jest. However i chided myself on my behavior; she had been nothing but kind and cheery and yet here i was treating her as if she was a threat. Which, a part of me nagged, she could be. Her enthusiasm could make her clumsy, and smash the small object in my protection. When she tears out her own feathers to pad the nest i had made, however, guilt replaces my caution. She wished only to help. My head bows in shame, and i step(if reluctantly) away from my egg to let her place the feathers.

"Forgive me, Rei, for being so rude." Her words about telling the egg a story catches my attention, and i smile at her wink. "Well, who am i to deny telling a tale? T'is after all my trade." I manage out a laugh, then looked down to the egg bundled in it's nest of feathers and brush. "I know the perfect story." I shift my weight and cock my hind foot, relaxing for this was a long story, but one of my favorites. Maybe it was not the best story to tell in a situation such as this... but it was a story dear to me, for i always sympathized with the hero.

"In a land far from here, in a time long ago, there was a young unicorn by the name of Jax. Now Jax was a cruel child, he believed he was entitled to anything he laid his gaze upon, for he was the son of kings and spoiled so rotten that not even a buzzard would have eaten of his flesh. He was mean to all he chanced upon, beating the citizens of his father's kingdom and terrorizing the women.

The king eventually grew sick of his son's mayhem and foul ways, and with a heavy heart he ordered his son to be enlisted into the kingdom's army as the lowest of the low, a simple drummer boy for a battalion that would n'er see battle. Green as saplings they all were, with armor that did not fit and weapons that never would hold an edge. The king placed his son with this group knowing he would be safe from battle and war, and praying to the gods that Jax would learn respect and dicipline.

But such things were not meant to be. The peace was shattered with the assassination of the king himself on Jax's sixth birthday when he would become the Crown Prince and no longer serve as a mere drummer boy in a forgotten legion. Jax pursued the assassin through the city, then to the forest beyond. For days and nights he chased the one that murdered his father until one morn, by a slip of Fate, he caught the assassin and tore the hood from her head.

The mare was beautiful by no means, a scarred woman who's face was covered with burns and knots from war. She gored him with her horn, then fled as he bled on the forest floor, leaving him there to die alone and forgotten.

The kingdom mourned the loss of it's King and now it's Prince, for none had found the body of Jax, merely the mare's hood and his blood on the leaves. But the prince was not dead, for a faerie woman had chanced upon him and in a fit of kindness she whisked him away to a world known as the Aetherveil and tended to his injury. But the fae woman was clever and possessed the power of foresight. She knew that Jax was still the same, cruel lad he had been. So as she healed him she also bound him and tore his soul in half, for the fae possess magic that is nearly god-like in nature. So as she worked she sang powerful words of enchantment around the fallen stallion, knowing what her actions would bring to pass.

Jax awoke alone in a strange grove, for when the faerie had finished her work she returned him to the mortal world and left him there. But she had not left him unprepared. Beside him was an ethereal sword of fine make, a sword that no doubt had a lineage as old as the world itself. With no memory of the Aetherveil, Jax took the sword, confused but not unpleased for within his mind he was planning the demise of the mare that had killed his father and ruined his life. Jax began the long journey back to his home, to the grand palace of his fathers. But when he reached the mountain that was the entrance into his home, he discovered nothing but the charred ruins, long since abandoned. Time moved differently in the fae world. Jax had been in the faerie's care for nearly five long years.

Tears of despair slid down his cheeks, and he cried his outrage to the moon and stars. And out of the shadow of the night came the faerie in all her strange beauty. To him she explained all she had done, and what he must do. She bade Jax to run to the north, where the army of his people fought against a great evil. Before he could speak she was gone once more, her words echoing in his mind like a grand bell.

With naught else to do, Jax ran for days and nights, never tiring even though a mortal horse would have long since died of exhaustion. 'Fore the week ended Jax stood upon a hill overlooking the battlefield, and was stunned by what he saw. The bodies of horses covered the earth. There was but a single legion left standing against the great evil that took the form of a giant black stallion, a cloud of death around him. Horses that rushed it fell writhing to the ground, and horrified Jax stood, watching as soldier after soldier bombarded the darkness, careless of their lives, for desperation removed all caution.

Bearing the sight no longer Jax lept from the hill with a battlecry strong enough to shake the heavens, his slender horn pointed towards the dark stallion. Those left alive marveled as Jax sped past them and into the shadow aura unharmed to do battle with the darkness. For a day and night they fought, flowing like dancers across a field of death and destruction. When the sun began to dawn once more, Jax struck the final blow, and speared the great stallion through the heart.

As the dark stud fell, Jax caught sight of it's face at last. His own features looked back at him, twisted and fouled with hate and fury. The fae woman had healed him of both his mortal wound, his mortality and his cruelty...but such things could not be destroyed even by a powerful sorceress as herself. Jax watched, dumbfounded, as his twin, who he would have been, died upon the muddy ground. The survivors rushed him, cheering his name but he could not hear them.

For in the distance he spied a foul mare, her face burned and scarred. But before he could cry out in alarm, those features shifted into a thing of beauty, a glow surrounding her as her true nature was revealed. The fae woman winked at Jax, her words floating to his ears alone. She revealed to him that had she not killed his father, he would have been named Prince and would have done the murder himself to gain rights to the kingdom, and all would have fallen before the darkness in his heart.

Jax wept, for as she spoke she gifted him with the images she had seen, of the destruction he would have caused. He wept for those that had been lost, for those that he could not save even though she healed him of his cruelty. She came to him then and wiped away his tears. She looked deep into his heart, and was pleased by what she saw.

Then the beauty turned to face the battlefield. She had lived a long life, she had seen oceans die and seen mountains arise from rubble. She had seen what the kingdom could become under the rule of a benevolent immortal, and had done all she could to ensure that future. So she went to each body and bade them to return to life. And they did so, springing to life as if they had never been struck down.

But for each soul she rose, her glow, her beauty, wilted like a flower before frost. Jax ran to her, pleading for her to stop, for although he would have his kingdom, his people returned to life, he did not wish for something so old to pass on from the world. The faerie ignored him, and with her final breath she brought the final citizen back from death, and collapsed there. Jax stood over the body of the fae mare as she dissolved into a silvery powder, and he scattered her remains to the winds. However, some of her ashes clung to his coat, filling him with her magic and gift of foresight.

Eventually the grand city within the mountain was rebuilt, and Jax stood upon the throne of his fathers, and ruled as a wise and gentle king, and is said to rule still, his offspring blessed with the long life and the magic of the fae themselves. They breathe life into the land, travel between worlds and never does their beauty fade to the ages of time. For that is the blessing of the faerie queen."

@[Rei]

Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

I didn't breathe a word as he told his story. I was transported to a different time and place as he wove his words together with the finesse of an artist. I doubt the fact that I did so much as blink. There was simply too much to drink in. Kings. Princes. Faerie folk.

"Minus the death and war that is the world I wish we lived in. Call me vain but I always wanted to be some hero dam's told their foals about." A wistful sigh slipped from my lips. I looked to the sky and wondered how far up it traveled and what it could see from the highest of heights. I imagine that it ascended higher than what my wings could carry me. "I wonder what the rest of Jax's life was like."

My eyes slipped back to Kvothe's precious egg. "Your little one is going to have stories to fuel his dreams endlessly." I dipped my head deeply in thanks for the tale, "My head is still running wild thanks to your story, that or I lowered my head to quickly." Laughing brightly I knew I wasn't kidding anyone; Kvothe was a marvelous story teller.

"Any change in the egg?"

@[Kvothe]

Magic usage is okay.

Outcast
K V O T H E

She enjoys my story, and i smile gratefully. In truth i had left out quite a few pieces of the tale(for it is much, much longer. And properly requires a day and a night to tell, as per custom) so as to spare her and my egg of the long story. Her words bring a smile to my lips, and then a grin filled with mischief and delight. "I have been to that land. And i can firmly say King Jax is a fair ruler, and quite the amusing host. I was a young colt 'ere we performed for the Immortal Court, and one noble had scoffed and mocked my performance. Imagine my surprise when the Immortal King himself helped me sneak into that noble's rooms and paint all his finery and furniture pink."

My grin is wide now. Oh the memories of the places i had visited would forever fill me with wonder. "I do not recall his face well, i was young and there was many exciting things to see. But i do remember seeing a painting of the Faerie, and she was beautiful." I said with a tone of wistfulness. Even as young as i had been the painting had stirred a sense of beauty and longing within my breast. To picture something like that, a creature as old as time itself, gone and never to return... as a colt i had cried for days, weeks. Now my eyes merely water.

She changes the subject to the pale sphere beside me, and i look down at it fondly, my tail curling around it on it's bed. "I know not why the giant turtle gave me this...nor do i know what lies within." But no matter what this egg held, i would care for it and tell it of kings and heroes of old, of dragons and demons and villains that were justly wronged. I would tell it of the good in the world and the bad, of lands shrouded in mystery and danger. Her praise pulls a smile to my lips. "Thank you... it's been a season or so since i last told a story, so i pardon the roughness of my telling."

She inquires about my charge's state, and i feel a sigh slip past me. "None yet... but t'is only been a fe-" CRACK. The sound is enough to make nearly all four of my hooves leave the ground, and i quickly drop my head to the egg. Was it... could it be?

It was.

A fine crack split the egg from top to bottom, and it rolled in a circle in the nest. Had i not been worried it would have been a comical enough situation to make me laugh. But as it was my only concern was seeing that this egg hatched and the babe was well. The crack widened, and then it practically exploded as whatever was inside gave a giant kick. Out of the remains rolled a small fat thing, looking quite like someone shrunk a deer, paused, then shrunk it again. The child hardly reached my ankle.

And it came from an egg. I wasn't given long to dwell on that fact, for the newborn began huffing, sides growing wider and wider and it's breaths shallower. Was it choking?! Alarm raced through me, and i turned to look to Rei in panic.

"BLAAAAAHHH!" There is such a demand, a righteous little anger in the cry that i look around in shock, until it dawns on me that the little thing at my feet was the one that was now bleating furiously, hardly gasping to take a breath in between cries. I reel in confusion, unsure of what to do. I was no mare, i had no milk... it would starve if i didn't find him something. Him. Not a doubt in my mind, especially when the loud babe rolled over after a particularly loud scream.

Tales save me he was having a hissyfit in his first five minutes of life.

@[Rei]

Rei
― Michael Jackson

"You went to the place from the story?" Slowly my feathers began to ruffle up in excitement. "So the tale is true!" A contented chirping sound rumbled from my throat. Taking a deep breath I was prepared to offer Kvothe a thrilled overflowing of comments, and questions about the story and his visit. My excited rambling was not to be finished. It wasn't given time to do so much as begin.

The gradual ruffling of feathers was put to an abrupt end and all at once every feather stood on end as the egg cracked and began to roll. A classic slack jaw, wide eyed "I didn't do it" expression sprawled across my face.

Out had came a deer like creature. I approached it slowly cautiously sniffing at the strange thing before it belted what sounded like an all out war cry. I couldn't get my legs moving fast enough to get away. What was wrong with him?

"Well. Good news, there has been a change in the egg." I cocked my head at the loud mouthed creature, "Bad news? It hatched. And it is loud." I scrunched my face up before laughing. "I joke. But seriously, now what? He keeps it up and all of Helovia will think we have released a banshee. " More importantly where did the tiny creature get the breath to full such a shout? "He is cute and all, but I can hardly imagine you making your way across Helovia with this as the accompaniment to your bells."

I rolled my eyes as I realized what the shout was for. Food. I was a mare. My maternal instinct should have kicked in a lot sooner. Wide eyed I looked from Kvothe to the deer like creature and to the ground. He would click on to his new companion's need soon enough.

"What are w-, you going to feed him?" Could he eat grass? Mushed berries? Oh I wanted him back in the egg. "Did the turtle give any instructions?" Dancing in place I begged the answer to fall from the sky.

"This will be a story for you to tell." Taking a deep breath I closed my eyes and tried to relax. Witnessing a creature enter the world screaming had shut down most of my functioning mental processes. "Maybe he doesn't need milk. How many deer things have you seen come from an egg? Birds come from eggs."

I blushed and traced aimless paths across the dry ground before continuing. "Mother birds chew up worms for their young. I don't think he would have a diet of worms. But maybe if you pre-chew some grass, leaves, or berries he might eat them?"

Magic usage is okay.

Outcast
K V O T H E

Banshee, oh that was appropriate for the little screaming devil at my feet. In an effort to silence him i drop my head and carefully cover his small mouth with my lips before pulling back. The babe stares up at me, and my eyes lock to his. And i have fallen.

I know now what the child wants, even before Rei speaks of the hatchling(was that an appropriate name for it?) i am moving to the nearest bush, stripping it of leaves and chewing, one ear and eye paying close attention to my ward. He lays there for a time, as if content to watch me before he moves, trying to get unusually long, spindly legs under his tiny body. I have seen many deer in my time, but never one so small or leggy. A worry nags at me that mayhap he is stunted, a runt.

No matter, i love him anyway. This loud bundle of leg and fur and eyes already is worming his way into my heart. Once i feel i have plenty chewed leaves in my mouth, i walk towards the infant, dropping my head to spit out the mush for him. He tackles it with abandon, all thoughts of getting to his feet gone.

It's quite interesting, really, to watch a scrawny thing's sides slowly expand until it looks like a balloon. A smile flickers across my face, and i drop my head to clean him off. He's none too happy with that, and i feel tiny gums attacking my jaw and lips until i move my head away, and he resumes eating. His behavior reminds me of someone, of a character, and suddenly i laugh.

"Well little Elodin, i shall not help you then." I walk away from him, towards Rei, and for a moment there is silence as if my ward is deciding between my presence or the food. Another round of insistent bleating alerts me to what he chose, and with a smile i return to his side, tail curling around his nest. Rei is all but forgotten in my mind, my thoughts focused on the small body beside me. I knew not what a companion was, and even if i had knew i wouldn't have changed a single thing.

@[Rei]

Rei
― Michael Jackson

A smile stretched itself across my face watching Kvothe and the young one. The stallion was a natural father to the mouthy little animal. I fought the urge to rush to the aid of the spindly legged fawn trying to stand; but this was Kvothe's ward and I had to allow them their space.

Was it jealousy that made my stomach churn? The longing was certainly there but this was different from any other time I had felt it. This feeling felt as if its roots ran much deeper. With the feeling came warmth towards the fawn and images of the foals born during Birdsong. We were anticipating a few births in the Throat.

Foals were beginning to show all across Helovia. Their curious little noses were stuck into everything. The empty space beside me felt terribly cold despite the warmth radiating from Helovia's Heart. I lifted my wings and shook my body before trying to settle my wings back into a comfortable position.

A year or two ago I would have been thrilled at the thought of new playmates. Now I wanted keep the young under my wing. I wanted to show them the games I had played as a foal, I wanted to show them all of the crazy sights of Helovia, and I could bring them to Kvothe who could tell them his stories. I wanted to mothe--.

I wanted to mother them.

That was it. In a knee-jerk reaction I felt myself tense at the thought. Gosh darn the Birdsong season. It was in the air, like a disease in the air. I was broody. Laughing at myself and at the sight of Elodin gumming at Kvothe's face laughter bubbled from my lips. Shifting my wings once more I shook off my odd mood.

"Careful Kvothe, he might just suck you up as part of the meal!"

I fought to keep from laughing as my friend turned from his companion and began to come towards me. A mischievous glimmer came alight in my eye and I was prepared to sidle up to the stallion in order to possibly bring out a fit of jealousy in the fawn to get his priorities straight.

"So Kvothe, looks like you have been busy. Do I want to know who the mother is?" Winking at him I walked closer to him and Elodin and laid down. "What have you been up to since the last time that we met?" A fond smile came along with memories from our first encounter.

@[Kvothe]

Magic usage is okay.

Outcast
K V O T H E

Rei's words tore me from my attention on little Elodin, and i raised my head to flash her a grin. "That, i have nary a doubt of happening." When Rei's side touched mine, all hell broke loose.

Food forgotten, Elodin began screeching at the top of his lungs, stick-thin legs flailing beneath him. I could almost feel his anger and jealousy, thick as copper on my tongue. And before i knew it i was back at his side, head down by his, murmuring gentle words of comfort. Rei moves over beside us, and once more i can feel Elodin's dislike of the mare, and i stifle a laugh as he drapes himself across my hooves, as if declaring me his. Which, if we were being honest, i was.

"I know not the mother. Surely she must have been a witch and stolen my memories with a kiss." I grin playfully, then gently fold my legs and sink down into the sandy dirt beside Rei, Elodin pressed against my belly. She asks what i have been doing, and i tilt my head, bells chiming.

"Many things yet nothing at all. I have crossed to the sea, walked through thick meadows and delved into deep forests. I have met quite a few souls, and... am beginning to think of a purpose for myself."

I look down at Elodin, who seems content to lay against my side, his eyes heavy-lidded, and i do believe if he was a cat he would be purring. Since he was not, he just held an air of contentment. "I have been considering forming a troupe here, for Helovia. I've met a man who agrees with me, and hopefully will aid me in leading it." I looked to Rei, a smile crossing my face. "We would visit the herds and share our stories and wares, provide entertainment and mayhap lessen the darkness that seems to haunt this land." I was not deaf. I overheard folk speaking of murders, grisly killings as they walk in pairs down the paths that criss-crossed Helovia.

I had no fear of walking alone, if it was my fate to meet my death in shadow, i would go down valiantly without regret. But that did not mean i sought it out, i did take precautions. Abandoned the trails and wove through rough terrain, and i traveled during the bright daylight hours.

By the time i finish speaking, Elodin is fast asleep. Even in his dreams he is not quiet; snores escape him that no little creature should be making. It brings a smile to my face, and i run my muzzle over his back. Such a stark contrast he was to my own personality... where i was soft he was sharp. Such a fiery spirit in such a tiny body...

@[Rei]
"Speech speech specch."

Rei
― Michael Jackson

"Kvothe!" His name bounced from my lips, spewing out in a burst of. Composing myself and lowering my voice to a murmur I tried not to wake the resting Elodin. "Kvothe that is wonderful! Your stories are great."

"This is your chance to really make a difference." I simply went quiet and watched him for a moment. A stallion curled around a fawn; speaking of traveling, telling tales while others geared themselves for battle. He was a strange one. I wasn't sure if I had ever came across another like Kvothe.

My father had worked his way to nearly becoming a general. The entirety of the guard had been like uncles to me. I had been taught to fight from a young age. You did not let someone shove you around and you saw justice served justice at whatever cost. Whenever my blood had been set boiling with a thirst to see the end of the rampage of Helovia's sinister visitor Kvothe still was peaceful.

"These times need to come to an end. Every time that I hear talk of another found my blood runs cold wondering if it is someone I know." So far it had been none of my friends. It sent a wave of relief over me each time that it wasn't, but with it came the nasty taste of guilt. With each body found there was a group left to mourn.

"Now with so many young about I worry more. If the God's themselves have not put an end to this how can we? I have stumbled upon the bodies, Kvothe." A shiver raced across my body. "Whenever I first heard of the killings I was ready to bring justice down upon whatever evil has been cast upon us. But now.." My voice trailed off. Now I knew better. Those killed had fought. Warriors had been struck down like lambs.

"I think that you traveling and telling your stories will make a true difference. Much more than what lashing out with hooves ever will." A smile upturned my grim expression. The words kind of hurt my pride to say, but I believed them to be true. Before his time was over Kvothe could end up telling heroic tales of his own. Starring himself. "Maybe you could use that silver tongue of yours to change even the blackest of hearts." Kvothe. The gentlest of Helovia; our secret weapon. The thought made me smile.

"I can write. Maybe I could teach you how to. In turn as a favor for me during your travels you could help others learn to read and you could write and leave a story written with those who need it most. You cannot be everywhere at once. I believe your stories could help Helovians face the trials before us."

My grandfather had a place lined with writings he had written and collected. Each week he had directed me to a new volume to read through; some of my favorite childhood memories were of him near while I read. Even better were the ones where he gave in and read a story for me in his rich rumbling voice.

Lost in memories I forgot the terror that was making its rounds about Helovia. The only thing that could break me from my thoughts lay sleeping.

"Even while asleep he is loud."

Magic usage is okay.

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

I think of myself... as a troubadour, a village storyteller, the guy in the shadows of the campfire.
- Louis L'Amour

I twitched when she practically yelled my name, and a stern look crosses my features. If she awoke Elodin, I would let her deal with the consequences. But to both of our fortunes she speaks quieter, and a smile pulls at my lips at her words. Her approval resonates within me, giving hope to the fragile idea i had nurtured with Finn. However it is her next words that catch me in a deathgrip.

'This is your chance to really make a difference.'

I intended, yes, for my stories and those of my companions to help distract folk from the darkness shrouding Helovia, but i did not plan for a major difference. The possibility of my actions in forming the troupe is... well i am not a creature of foresight. As i think, Rei speaks, and i stretch out my neck to brush my muzzle against her neck in comfort as she tells me of her fear.

A wan smile tugs at my lips upon her compliment, but i have not the heart to keep it there. "I cannot change those unwilling to do so. That is a power far beyond my ken." I may be persuasive, charismatic, but i could not influence those of true evil. Once, i had tried, believing myself a hero.

And i had failed miserably.

But her offer to teach me to write snaps me from the growing darkness of my thoughts, and i cannot help the wide, boyish grin that breaks out across my features. Joy surges within me; i was being presented with an offer to learn something new, something exciting! "Dear Rei, if you have the patience to meet me and teach me how to write, i shall create a compendium of all my tales just for you to read. Maybe i shall include a new ballad about the Lady Rei and her mightiest foe, the Snoring Elodin."

There is, apparently, nothing on this earth louder than the little one curled up at my side.

@[Rei]

Rei
― Michael Jackson

"Just make sure that you make me sound good. You can always come to me if you need and inspiration." A laugh could be heard in my voice. But there was a tinge of determination that uncurled itself in protest to my jest. It squirmed uncomfortably muttering of how I would make myself known. Whatever portion of my being my sense of determination resided in had no sense of humor.

Kvothe's eagerness to be taught was infectious "When would you like to begin? My grandfather would be over the moon with your eagerness to learn." How I wished that I could tell him about my time in Helovia and of Kvothe. "He was so serious about writing. To him it was an art form. Used to tell me that not only did the words need to tell a story, but that the strokes used to make the lettering should also contribute to the emotions of the story told." The writing that my grand-sire had done seemed to whisper more of the story than the clusters of words themselves. He left me convinced that his writing was what had brought about the phrase "reading between the lines".

"Traditionally writing is done with our wings." I tilted my head taking in his wingless form; as if the thought of being flightless wasn't enough the unicorns and equines were still left terribly handicapped. "Could you possibly use your antler?" My eyes traveled to the appendage in question. Did the horns and antlers ever prove of any use besides pretty decoration? Although the sound of Kvothe's bells chiming in the light breeze didn't leave me with any complaints.

"Or maybe we could have a brush made for you from feathers. Down our family line my grandfather told of a bat winged ancestor that used brushes made from his mate's feathers. They were so silky smooth and he handled them with such care that he became one of the most well known writers. Not without many setbacks of course." A content chrip clambered from my throat at the memories of the story. "The pair had quite the story. I will have to tell you their tale sometime, storyteller."

@[Kvothe]
Magic usage is okay.

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

I think of myself... as a troubadour, a village storyteller, the guy in the shadows of the campfire.
- Louis L'Amour

I cannot help the laugh that escapes me, filled with eager joy like that of a young colt. "I'd be willing to begin whenever you wish! There is naught on this earth, save Elodin, I love more than learning something new." I grin at her, the tip of my tail twitching back and forth like that of a cat's. "Your grandfather sounds like quite the wonderful man. I wish I could have met him, you were lucky to have him in your life."

However, there is a problem in my eagerness that I did not foresee...

What would I use for a brush?

I balk at the thought of using my antler; I was vain enough that I did not wish to carry around ink-stains upon my brow, plus it would be very difficult. Mayhap if I had a traditional horn, it could be manageable, but my antler was far too long, the position I would have to be in would be undoubtedly uncomfortable.

Rei, bless her heart, gives the idea of using feathers as my brush, and a grin tugs at my lips. "I'd not ask you to shed your feathers for me... but mayhap I can use those." I gesture with my horn to Elodin's nest, where a few pale feathers escaped the horror of the babe's birth fluid.

"I would love to hear such a story, Rei, especially one of your kin's kin." But the hour grows late, and I glance to the darkening sky. It had been afternoon when Rei chanced upon me... had we truly talked the day away? It did not feel as such, but the weight upon my eyelids backed the fact up, and I looked towards my newfound friend with fond sorrow.

"I must apologize Rei, but it grows late...do you not need to return to your herd?" I, of course, would find some place to bed down soon enough, some place out of the desert air, for the sand grows cold at night and my beloved Elodin was so fragile... I feared, deep within my soul, that if I slept outside like I was wont to do, I would awaken to the cold body of a child not yet a day out of the shell.

It was the semi-irrational fear of a parent, of one who had little to loose or care about before, that was suddenly thrusted into a world of responsibility.

@[Rei]