[PRIVATE] Evening Stars
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
GAUCHO
& if we should die tonight then we should all die together
Dusk descended with a quiet certainty, a rumbling force that blanketed the world, calling all those still young to the folds of sleep, and reminding they who were older of the horrors that lay awake in the night. It was for reasons such as these that Gaucho was awake. Most of his herd had bedded down for the night, and his warriors patrolled without him - what good was he when he could not see oncoming danger? Of course he had Mara to lend him sight, but nevertheless it was only a secondary set of eyes, one that had a significant amount of lag and delay. So, the Wildfire had ventured from his home, gliding through an evening that seemed to hold only him. It was very strange to feel like you were the only one alive in the world.

With a graceful elegance the dun descended into the Fields, allowing his flaming wings to gently place him amongst the knee-high graces and flowers. He looked around, seeing no one. Ears forward he tried to discern whether or not his sight was true this time - although he couldn't hear anyone. If there were others around, either they were very quiet, or very far away.

Sighing, the Wildfire turned his sharp gaze to the stars that had begun to wink through the velvety curtain of nightfall. Much weighed on his mind. Although he could not see them in real life, his mind held the faces of all those who troubled him: Sohalia, Ampere, Rhoa, Ivezho, Zenobia.

Sohalia had been away for so long ... she had promised to stay, to be with the herd more, but her words had been cruel lies. She had departed not long after, without so much as a word. Gaucho knew that she had things to attend to regarding the Academy but to leave without even so much as a goodbye? Was this meant to be punishment for his disappearance a few seasons prior? Possibly .. but it didn't seem like her. Revenge was not in her blood, or at least the dun didn't think so. Although he had been wrong about her in the past.

Ampere. The very thought of her name sent a warm rush through Gaucho's body, intensified by the memory of their last meeting. The chase ... their aerial battle and then ... the climax that came after. It brought to a head so much that had happened between the two, so much that needed to be resolved... But now what? What was to become of their 'relationship' if it even was that?

His children. Zenobia was ... lost to him, it seemed. Ivezho was with his mother and Rhoa? Rhoa seemed distracted and sullen, withdrawn and tense. Gaucho didn't know if he was merely being a child or if something worried the body, but each time he tried to ask the gray youth only appeared more and more withdrawn.

@[Rasta]

Table style by Tamme!
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I wasn't exactly sure where I had gone. All I knew was that I went north. I was still relearning these lands, and I'd yet to actually go forward to the north. I hadn't wanted to deal with the snow. I hadn't wanted to deal with the cold. But… today I decided to go north of the Falls, to explore the field that was there once more, and try and learn it up and down.

I was quiet, I was generally quiet. Dainty steps were common, for hard steps jarred up my back and made it uncomfortable. Alas, the figure that I felt in the middle of the fields was not one which I had expected. Was that… Gaucho? I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with him for I doubted he even wanted to see me. After all, I had chewed him out earlier in front of the entire herd.

Still, he was there. I might as well attempt to see what exactly it was that he was doing out here because he really shouldn't be out here at all. He should be standing over the Throat and protecting it like he said he would do.

So, with one word I attempted to make my presence known. "Hello." Not his name. No. Because I wasn't even sure if it was him. And, if wasn't him then I wasn't about to make a fool of myself by assuming that it was. I was already blind. At least I could attempt to look intelligent...

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Sssssssssssssstranger Mara hissed lovingly into Gaucho's mind as the moon danced off of Rasta's pale golden coat, heralding her arrival. At once Gaucho's blocky head turned in the direction which Mara indicated, yet saw nothing. He narrowed his eyes, as if trying harder would somehow break his quest and make the new arrival appear, but of course it did not.

Know herrrr Mara continued as Rasta moved gracefully even without vision. Amused, Mara silently wondered if she could manage to teach Gaucho the same, although decided that he was likely too stubborn to learn. Especially from Rasta. Rasssssta. They knew Rasta. Gaucho had nearly run her out of the Throat on what was perhaps her visit steps there, during the birth of his daughter. If Onni hadn't been there he well might have. A twitch of pain lingered in his heart at the thought of yet another who had gone missing. Onni. Snorting, he recalled the images of the blind mare, the one who had spoken out against both he and Midas' decision to place Gaucho as lead of the herd. She hadn't known him then but was willing to cast judgement on him. Was she about to do the same now.

Her voice was softer than he might have expected, having only really heard her yelling voice. "Rasta." He responded more or less evenly, with a hint of warmth. Diplomacy it seemed was starting to grow on him. Gods knew he had had enough practice lately. "Still blind?" He asked conversationally, ironically looking about 2 feet to the left of where she actually stood.

Part of him wondered why she had left - hadn't she and Soh been close? What was it that drove her away? Youuuuuuuuuuuu Mara hissed, presuming that his rise to power was likely a move in a direction that she didn't see fit. Viewing his herd as a family, Gaucho couldn't imagine just up and leaving when times got tough. But then not everyone sees herd life that way. And perhaps she had her own reasons as well. It didn't matter now. That had been seasons ago.

Table style by Tamme!

He said my name. Well, at least I knew it was Gaucho. Only he spoke in that rough, low tone that was now circling across the fields. Relatively evenly he said my name, though it seemed as though there was not as much hatred as I would have expected to radiate off of him. Hopefully harsh feelings had dissipated, though I still lacked the belief that he wouldn't cause a situation which could have been avoided had he the ability to communicate a little bit clearer.

Blind eyes looked over to directly where he was standing, though they lacked the focus that should have been there had one been able to see. I could feel Mara there, and I could also feel the tilt of his cranium which seemed to indicate that he wasn't looking directly at me either. My head tilts crookedly, ears flickering forward in a little bit of confusion. So, as if to ascertain this a bit more clearly, I drop my head for a minute, snort quietly and flick my tail, sending a low bit of vibrations through the ground and up through his frame to give me a clearer image. And, as I pulled my head up I also yanked up a piece of grass to make it look less conspicuous. "Gaucho - there will never be a day that I am not blind. However, I don't believe you are actually looking at me. I could be wrong though, the vibrations could be lying." I snorted, slightly amused as a gentle smile curled up my lips.

Oh, this was great. A gentle laugh escaped my maw. "Please, do correct me if I'm wrong, after all I can't see to confirm this. But - how does it feel to be blind as well, Gaucho?" No. I wasn't mocking - simply highly amused that someone else was suffering from the same affliction that I had been my entire life. And if I was wrong, then I would apologize - but right now, the idea of him bumbling around and possibly hitting a tree or another horse was doing everything to keep me amused. "But really. How are you doing? How is the Throat doing? Africa said you took your place as Sultan again…" No more words on the fact that I didn't really enjoy the idea. No. Just… wanting to see what his opinion on everything was - see something from his side, even if only just this once.
Rasta
you're my downfall, you're my muse, my worst distraction, my rhythm and
blues - i can't stop singing, it's ringing in my head for you
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
If only Gaucho knew how recently (more or less) Rasta had possessed sight, he might have disputed her claim. Although the succinctness with which she answered deterred any more comments from him on the subject. He had been under the impression that the God's could fix her sight if needed ... but perhaps her response was to indicate that she would not accept such a change even if it was offered? Although given his current frustrated state, he couldn't fathom why anyone would chose this sort of distance.

As more words poured from her pale lips, Gaucho realized that indeed he had been looking vaguely off to the side. Snorting, ears flickering as they tried to calibrate his gaze with where it sounded as though she was, he bit down, his teeth clacking together. Here he was fumbling to figure out where she stood when she was right there before him, and she knew enough to know that he couldn't see. He didn't know whether to feel impressed or annoyed. Impressed with her ability to reason and draw conclusions from the vibrations she felt, or annoyed that she was able to 'do the being blind thing' better than he.

"Not blind. Gaucho see trees, and water, and land ... see everything except things with souls. Mara help. Mara see for Gaucho." His dark lips pressed together as he thought about her question. How did it feel? It felt challenging. He had sparred in this condition and that was ... more than interesting. It had shown him just how heavily he relied on his sight, and he appreciated that sense more now that he had been deprived of it. But he was also ready for it to be over. There were more than a few things in life that he wanted the pleasure of seeing again. Shrugging his blue-striped shoulders, the Wildfire exhaled gently. "Gaucho lose senses as part of a quest. First hearing. Then touch. Now sight. Gaucho will be glad when it over." He answered truthfully.

"Sun God make Gaucho Sultan again after Africa go -" He shrugged as if suggesting that he didn't have a choice in the matter. Given all of the gift's the God bestowed upon him, it almost seemed he didn't. Gaucho was strong, but who was he to resist the will of a God? He moved on quickly, not wanting to spark a debate about whether or not he was fit to lead this time around. "Throat fine. Throat work on quest from Sun God to protect lands. Things ... hard. Sohalia go away.." In his minds eye he pictured the dainty white mare so clearly, as if she was standing right before him in the space the invisible-Rasta occupied. He winced, forcing air out of his nostrils as if her memory caused physical pain. And indeed, on some nights it did. "...go away with one of our sons, to find things for Academy." Surely Rasta had heard of the Academy? If Ophelia had been invited, Gaucho couldn't imagine Sohalia's friend being ignorant of it.

Why was he even telling her any of this?

"Africa okay?" He asked, genuine concern coating his question. No one had told him where the one-winged mare had gone. In fact, he didn't even know she was still in Helovia. "You okay?" He concluded finally, returning the courtesy.

Table style by Tamme!

I don't think I'd ever been this amused with an interaction. I could hear his snorting and clacking of teeth. He was struggling, and I could expect nothing less. Careful steps pulled me forward - perhaps I felt sorry for him, but I couldn't let him just continually fumble on my location. "I'm going to touch you on your shoulder - then I'll be a foot away, straight." I explained, offering warning before pressing my maw against his hulking shoulder and inching back a few steps until I was about a foot away. Hopefully that would help him.

From there he spoke, saying that he wasn't blind, saying he could see the landscape around him - just not those which carried souls. "I see shapes from vibrations, but I'm still blind. You're blind in a sense." From there he explains that it was part of a quest, that he had been losing his senses and that he would be glad when it was over. A gentle smile curved up my maw, though I knew now that he wouldn’t see it. "Anyone would be glad when it is over. Losing your senses… it pushes you to the limits." I explain before moving onto a different subject.

He said that he was Sultan, making it look as though he had no choice. He said that the Throat was fine, finding a way to protect their lands with a quest from the Sun God. Now. I hadn't exactly met this Sun God, but I figured that he had to be somewhat similar to Gaucho if he chose him as his leader. Perhaps impulsive. Oh well, it didn't matter at the moment. Gaucho said Sohalia went away with his son t find things for an… Academy? "Is she okay? I haven't seen her in a while… I've been concerned. And… what is this academy?" However, it was his release of air that concerned me the most. "Do you know where she is?"

Concern, complete concern. That is what radiated through my bones at that point. Though, it seemed as though it was mimicked in his veins as well about Africa. "Africa is well, settling into the Falls with Midas and I." And then, the one thing I doubted could come from the stag came - asking if I was okay. "I am better than I have been in the past. Being okay… it's always a work in progress." Gentle words, simply stated - an edge of care in my voice. I may not think he was the best to stand in a diplomatic position, but he was still my family - as were those who resided in both the Throat and the Falls. I would still grieve if I heard of any of them having to suffer pain. I still cared.
Rasta
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
As Rasta's touch gently found his dark skin, the Wildfire tensed ever so slightly. It wasn't often that others so willingly and without fear just reached out to him like that. At least not without asking permission first. Most were intimidated by his bulk, and wary of his title. Rasta seemed .. completely oblivious to these things, although she knew them well. If her way of 'seeing' was as good as he thought it was, she knew just how large he was, how powerful. Knew that she could be knocked aside more than easily, even without his sight. However he appreciated it about her. Cowardice was not a feature he was generally sympathetic to.

Using her voice and touch as anchor points, his gaze shifted slightly, making minor adjustments until he was staring more or less at her forehead...ehh... maybe closer to the tips of her ears.

"Soh ... " A pause. Gaucho actually didn't know. He knew that Sohalia was more than capable of looking after herself, and knew that with their son with her she would not put herself in a dangerous situation but. What she okay ? Who knew. His thoughts guiltily flickered to Ampere and his rendezvous with her. Whether or not her sides would begin to bulge as a result had yet to be seen. If Sohalia came back to this he very much doubted that she would be okay. But she was gone. Perhaps that was the best thing for her. "Gaucho not know. Soh go at beginning of BirdSong. Academy Tavi's idea. To have school where all can come to learn. Healers, and warriors and thinkers...talkers..." He shrugged, name an -er and they were probably invited too. "That part of reason Throat need to be stronger. Be able to provide protection if others come to stay and learn."

"Midas..." Gaucho snorted. He had seen his painted brother at the beginning of this season and he hadn't mentioned Africa. Was that intentional? Was the mare hiding from the Throat? His tail swished idly as he dismissed these thoughts. Apparently Rasta wasn't the only one of his former herd mates to settle within the lush foliage of the falls.

"Work in prog-ress.." He repeated disjointedly, as if he was tasting the words on his tongue as he spoke them. "Yes. Being okay like that. Like work in prog-ress" He agreed finally as a genuine smile parted his dark lips.

He could see why Sohalia and Rasta had gotten along.

"Two from Throat show up murdered." He continued, the smile vanishing. "Any from Falls?"

Table style by Tamme!

He tensed. I could feel the shift of his pelt under my maw and I was prepared to be knocked over. I was prepared for him to release whatever hatred he had for me at that moment. After all, I had invaded space - I had not been given permission to do this. But, really, I hadn't cared. I was prepared to be bruised and battered, and I would take it if I could help him a little bit.

Yet, he didn't do anything else than almost flinch. As I moved backward, I could feel his head shift, his ears twitching and it felt to me as if he was at least locking onto a part of my frame. Improvement. A gentle grin reached my maw - I was helping him. Maybe he wouldn't accidentally hit someone then. However, he began to speak of Soh… saying her name and then pausing. And, when he says he doesn't know I can feel my heart shatter. He explains the Academy and I take it in until he is finished. I swallow, taking in a breath. "You hurt Sohalia… Not physically - but mentally. She's more fragile than you think. Please… if she comes back, can you have someone tell me. I want to see her… No I need to see her - I need to make sure she's okay." I say, ears falling to the side in pain at the thought that she was out there all alone with a child. Hopefully she was well… hopefully she would come back alright…

But… onto the Academy. "That sounds like a great idea, Gaucho. I'm glad the Throat is opening up to all of this. It's a step forward - and your need for protection for them… It's progress," I said, with what sounded like approval flickering upon my lips - as much as I would refuse to admit it. But, soon he moved onto Midas, saying his name but nothing more. "I'm sure Midas would love to see you. After all, you were brothers in arms, regardless of others opinions." Yes. I was talking about my opinion, my opinion I still held true. Gaucho was kind, but at risk of so many misunderstandings that could lead to problems.

But he was learning, and kinder than I expected. He said he was being okay in the same way - a work in progress. A gentle laugh escaped my lips. But, as soon as he spoke of murder it stopped. I froze, body stumbling back a few steps. Please. Not Sohalia. Please, dear lord, don't let it be her. "I… I didn't know anyone had been murdered. I've been…. Trapped for I don't know how long. I couldn't judge… there was no sun for me to tell if it was day or night. Someone offered to help me back to the Falls after a trip to the Throat when you were gone… instead they kept me in a cave. I fought… I got out and got free but… I've missed so much, apparently." My heart aches, words fumbling. He didn't need to know any of that. He didn't need to know how weak I was. But, really - against anyone Gaucho's size I was useless. It took all I had to keep him from mounting me, from using me. But I also don't know how long I was in there. I don't know how long I fought. But it doesn't matter. I shake my head, pain and uncertainty in my features that I was glad he couldn't see. "I didn't know anyone had been killed. I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry. Do we know who did it?" I finished with, forcing my head back up to meet his gaze, to try and feel his frame and guess what he was feeling.

Why was the world breaking?
Rasta
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Perhaps he would learn more than one lesson from being on this quest.

As Rasta's words, however harmless their intent may be, slipped from her lips Gaucho against tensed, only this time it was noticeable. His wings shuffled uncomfortably against his flanks as the flames that lined them rose high and bright. The muscles lining his shoulders pulled inwards as his large frame rocked slightly upon hooves that would not move from the earth. A shiver ran down and reverberated through Gaucho's spine as her words seemed to infect and sting every ounce of him.

You hurt Sohalia..

The caves. Of course. It had seemed like nothing then .. hadn't he done what he was supposed to? He had found Sohalia with Note and challenged the weaker stallion for Sohalia's honour. Wasn't that ... exactly what he should have done? The stallion proved too weak willed to even test himself against Gaucho. How could he possibly have taken care of Sohalia? And then ... there just hadn't been enough time. Sohalia wanted to talk but a war was waging on all around him. A war that he was leading. He had obligations both to his herd but also to everyone who hid with them in the caves. He was one of Helovia's best warriors. If not then, when were his skills meant to be used? And Ampere had come ... there had been wraiths at the cave entrances and he was needed ... that was one of the last things he remembered before his memories were taken. His muscles continued to twitch as the scene replayed in his head. He had also yelled at Sohalia for not knowing where their daughter was, and treating her safety with the same regard as with everyone else. Perhaps he had owed her more but ... they hadn't had the talk then. Hell, they hadn't even fully had it now.

But to know that he hurt her - to have it confirmed by Rasta, pierced his soul. Sohalia had brushed everything away when they were reunited, allowing his masculinity, his sex, and his love overpower whatever residual anger she might have had left. Rasta however, was apparently unaffected by such traits. Sohalia had never said that he hurt her ... and so some part of his mind believed that he never did.

Until now.

Gulping down the emotions that rose and frothed in the back of his throat, Gaucho raised his blind gaze to the twinkling stars over head, now appearing in stark contrast against the rapidly purple-ing sky.

"Gaucho ... Gaucho never mean to hurt Soh. Not ever. She...Gaucho love Soh. Just .. " Sighing, Gaucho shook his head. "It hard. Love hard. If Soh come back - When Soh come back, Gaucho come find you."

Gaucho's expression changed considerably as Rasta began the final section of her response. His dark pierced nose dropped sharply, hovering even lower than before, eyes staring into the space that he knew the mare occupied. With a sudden burst of inspiration, he raised his flaming wings, causing her invisible body to cast a shadow upon the ground. There. That was better. Darkness lined Gaucho's face as he listened with a stoic expression to the recent events of Rasta's life. His teeth clicked together as she mentioned that she had come to the Throat when he wasn't there. It was a wound that would never fully heal: having left his family once was a burden he would have to bear forever.

But it didn't mean he couldn't make up for it now. "Who take?" He demanded, his deep voice becoming a growl. He ignored her follow up question about the murderers and the status of the victims. They were dead. There was nothing he could do about it. But Rasta was still alive.

He would not see her fall victim to anyone. She had been a part of his family once, and he had pledged himself to her protection.

Table style by Tamme!

He was tensing again - definitely noticeably. And I… I was flinching too. I could feel his wings moving, and his body rocking and I was preparing to be injured - to be knocked over. I shouldn't have said it. It had to have angered him. I drop my head, ears flat as I prepare to be struck, run down, mauled. I deserved it after how much I had spoken out against him and I was all too willing to take the brunt of it.

But he didn't. He never actually lunged. He never actually came toward me. It was a shock that he was speaking, not trying to act out the hurt in his soul. "Love is not meant to be easy, Gaucho. You have to work for it. Blood, sweat, tears. It takes the same strength to make a relationship work as it does to fight in battle. You have to put the same effort in." I explained, voice low before I finally allowed my head to raise again. It was the last sentence, though, that caused tears to actually fall. Only a couple, wetting my cheeks, but they fell. "Thank you," It was hoarse, broken. He would come back to tell me. The one who I doubted could do anything except shove things over, act impulsively, and hurt those who cared for him would come tell me because I asked him to.

And, as I explained the time in the caves very brokenly, I felt him move his wings. I wasn't sure why, exactly, but they were higher and his face was lower. I didn't know why he seemed to care. I didn't know why he was suddenly so intently focused on me - I wouldn't have mattered before. But still, he was reaching out, and the two words held such a protective air I almost didn't know how to respond. Everyone who had heard wanted to know the stag who had done it. It was as if this entire thing could be fixed. "I don't know. I don't know who he was." I said, body shrinking a little. "I couldn't describe him any farther than some kind of draft - which is nothing to go searching on for there are plenty of them. There is nothing that you can do. There is nothing that anyone can do." I insisted reaching my maw out and then pressing it against his in an attempt to reassure him. "Do not start a war because someone who isn't even in your herd anymore got hurt. Do not be impulsive. Do not prove to be what I said you were in that meeting." I said, some kind of command in my voice from the years upon years I had been a leader. "I am the worst witness Gaucho. It is gone now. I can deal with the pain - I am well accustomed to it. It will do little to go after some vague figure - which is what I told Alleo and what I told Africa, and if you dare tell Midas or anyone else, it is exactly what I will tell them."

I pause, and even though there are still tears brimming from the pain of that time before I allow words to fall again. "I refuse to be treated as if I cannot help myself because I am blind. There are times that I can even see better than those that have sight." I would not allow him, or anyone else, to label me as weak.
Rasta
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Gaucho shook his head as Rasta spoke. Love was nothing like fighting. When you fought you used every ounce of strength you had to obliterate the other. You felt their body meld against yours, and instead of holding it there and enjoying the embrace, you recoiled and retaliated. If fighting was anything like love he'd be the undefeated champion of that, rather than striking out with Sohalia and .. if we're being honest, probably with Ampere as well. They had been all fight, and where had that led?

If Sohalia ever came back perhaps he would have another reason to seek out Rasta; as a relationship counselor. He did try, he just .. wasn't very good at it. There was a time he thought that his efforts were enough for Soh, but after hearing the golden mare's confirmation that he had indeed hurt the Transcended, he realized that perhaps it wasn't.

Gaucho, unaccustomed to having to rely on his hearing as much as Rasta was, was unable to pick up the minute sounds that would giveaway the mare's reactions to their conversation. Only her voice gave him any information, and most of it was in her words. Her emotion wavered through, but the movements of her body, the rise and fall of her chest, the liquid that gracefully etched its way down her cheek ... at least until ... In his antlers, silently Mara poked her head through Gaucho's forelock. Sensing her bonded's inability to know what Rasta looked like, she showed him. It took a lot of energy to let him borrow her eyes, but it was worth it. He watched as his right wing extended, blackened but flaming feathers stretching towards her shoulder, to gently brush the golden flesh if she would allow it.

It was about as reassuring as Gaucho got.

Blinking as the mare disappeared and Mara pulled back into his mane, the Wildfire relaxed slightly. He was unsure of what to make of this tentative truce between the two, but it felt ... natural. At least for the time being. Perhaps their united lack of sight afforded them this unique, however fleeting, opportunity.

However as Rasta continued, a different sort of expression darkened Gaucho's features. He hadn't thought of Rasta as weak per say. He merely thought of himself as stronger. Stronger than nearly all whom he had met in Helovia. Compared to him, nearly everyone was weak. But what he hadn't even faintly considered was that Rasta already had someone to look after her. His chest clenched as embarrassment - a rather odd emotion for the dun - caused his feathers to ruffle slightly, lighting the ground with dancing shadows. The thought had never even occurred to him that others would care for the mare, in fact, while she was under his leadership he had often thought of her as a burden, having no idea of how capable she was until now. Tail swaying behind him, the dun snorted. Rasta didn't need him. He was no knight in shining armor here to help. His defensiveness and protectiveness were misplaced, unwanted.

If his superior strength was not what Rasta needed, then perhaps it wasn't what Sohalia needed either. Was it what his herd needed?

Gaucho could only grunt in confirmation. He would do nothing, then.

Selfishly, out of a feeling of awkwardness, Gaucho shifted the conversation back to the murderers. Although given Rasta's captured, perhaps her attacker and the murderer were one in the same.

"Dead bodies appear. Murdered. Two from Throat .. Vesta and Phaedra.." He wasn't sure if those names would mean anything to her. Vesta had been a warrior, but Phaedra had been Sohalia's friend. Perhaps the blind mare knew her as well. "And .. Skysong. That Sohalia's daughter. Other murders too but .. Gaucho not know their names. A brown mare with brindling. An old blind unicorn.." His blue striped shoulders heaved as his muscles clenched upwards in a shrug. Did their names even matter at this point? They were gone, and no one knew why. Just as Rasta had been gone, just as Sohalia had been gone.

Just as he had been gone.

Table style by Tamme!

Really? He was going to shake his head at me? I snorted, stomping as I finished explaining how fighting required the same amount of strength. "Don't shake that looming head at me, Gaucho." I said, ear pinning back for a second. "You may not think it is the same - but it does require the same amount of strength. You just have to use that strength in a different way." Oh, but it wasn’t worth it. He didn't seem to understand what she was talking about, and it almost hurt, that she couldn't help him so that he didn't hurt Sohalia again.

But, then he pushed. He wanted to know who had done this to me. I couldn't. There was nothing to explain. But having to think about it, to try and imagine it to give information - it hurt. And so I was crying. I didn't want to cry. Hell. I shouldn't be crying. I would never have allowed myself to do this with anyone else. I would never have allowed the tears to fall unless I knew that I couldn't be seen by others, unless I knew I could completely collapse and not have to worry about standing and being strong.

He had to have seen. Mara had to have let him see. Why else would his wing suddenly be touching me? Why else would he attempting to comfort me? I almost begged that he stop trying to protect me. I had Alleo. I had Midas. I had Cera. But, it was Gaucho's grunt of what seemed to be confirmation that forced me to completely snap back out of it. A sigh, a choke. "Thank you for caring, Gaucho. But I don't think you ever really cared before, it is rare when others do. I don't expect it to change because you're blind. I don't expect it to change because of one bad situation. So unless I'm wrong and you actually cared, I don't expect you to try and fix things now." I said, eyes closing shut for a moment.

And then he changed topics, listing names. Phaedra. Soh's daughter. They were the ones that stood out to me. "I knew Phaedra. We talked once, seemed sweet. I'm sorry for your losses. Does Soh know about Skysong? Unfortunately, I do not know the others. If I can help, at all, I want to." I didn't say anything about how I wouldn't know someone's colours - how I couldn't judge anyone off of that. I didn't want to get into a fight. I didn't have the strength to deal with that.

I didn't know if Gaucho even knew what he wanted to do anymore. Something had changed in him… that was all I knew.
Rasta
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Why? Why did they all think so poorly of him? Was communication really so much of a hindrance that everyone would sooner label him a monster than actually try to hold a conversation with him? Rasta had labeled him mostly incompetent based off of one meeting (albiet a poor one). And somehow her opinion of him was dissuaded by Midas' approval and support of him or Sohalia's. His track record with the pale mare wasn't spotless - far, far from it - but was this really what she thought of him?

"Gaucho always care." He began, shakily, sounding unprepared for what he was about to say. Things had gotten a lot realer than he was used to. "Gaucho not ... not from here. Not know customs. Language still hard. Getting better, but it take time. So Gaucho show caring and love by protecting and fighting. That only way Gaucho know how. Maybe I not stop to talk to every one, but I keep skies and borders safe. Give every safe place to live so that there time later to talk." Could she even understand what it was to come from a land polluted by war? Perhaps not. And although he thought Rasta was more or less useless as far as her contributions to the Throat went, it certainly didn't mean that he didn't care. He thought of the Throat as a family and cared about each of their well-beings individually and evenly.

Exhaling the dun grit his teeth. It was all starting to pile up.

"Soh not know ... Soh know about Phaedra. Gaucho bring her body back to Throat. Brought SkySong's body back too, but Soh already gone. I think Note is the Father... not know where he is."

Table style by Tamme!

He said he always cared. Sure, maybe he cared because I was a part of his herd but I don't think he cared. He tried. He protected because that was all he knew, but I didn't think he cared, deep down cared. I sigh, listening to each of the words that start to fall from his lips. "Gaucho. You care about safety, but I'm not sure you care about the relationships within the herd." I pause, eyes closed as I usually did when I was attempting to figure out how to word what I was going to say. Simpler. I knew I needed to make it simpler.

I exhaled as he grit his teeth, still struggling to find a simple way to explain it. "You have your companion, Mara. You keep her safe. You understand her. You feel each other. You talk, you explain, you are both there." Again, I'm pausing, frustration in my eyes as I still fight to come up with something that he would understand. "I'm sorry if this doesn’t make sense. I'm trying to keep it so it makes sense. But, Gaucho. Caring is more than flying around the borders and keeping them safe. Sure, the herd will know they are safe inside but they don't know that you, specifically you, care enough to go to that later. If you want to show you care, for most of us here, it requires words. Maybe not the most eloquent words, Gaucho, but words. Words that show some kind of understanding of the situation. Gaucho, all I've seen from you is an impulsiveness towards battle and fighting. I've seen you protect those of the herd, but I've never seen your frame relax and simply be when there is nothing to protect them from."

I choked, backing up a few steps - preparing to be hit, preparing for this entire thing to happen. "I understand if you want to hit me - to fight me for even daring to speak to you like this. But you cannot learn if you do not see what is wrong. If you don't want to hurt Sohalia again - if you want a herd to be completely behind you… Gaucho you have to learn about them. You have to speak with them and know them." I pause, sharply taking breath in. "Please, Gaucho. Tell me what you knew about me before today. Tell me what you thought. What about me made you care other than the fact that I was a Throat Citizen?"

It was an attempt. I had to make him see. I had to make him understand. It was his fighting and willingness to charge into battle that had caused Sohalia's hurt. I just wanted him to start to understand that sometimes caring wasn't about protecting them at the cost of your life. Sometimes caring is being at their side as they fight their own daemons.

And he said Soh knew about Phaedra, but not Skysong. "I will look for Note if you can describe his build and demeanor for me. And when Soh returns, I will be there for her as long as she needs me. She is family for me too. She took me in and gave me a second chance when most refused to believe I had a use." I said, trying to stand firm when deep down I knew that I could be rolled over in an instant and never actually return to the Falls.
Rasta
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Without Mara likely much of what followed from Rasta would have been lost on him. However the snake was a diligently interpreter, and slowly tried to communicate in language Gaucho would understand what it was the mare was trying to communicate. Bewildered, Gaucho shook his antlered brow.

"No!" He rumbled, nostrils flaring. How could their conversation have been this incommensurable? How could they nearly have talked past each other on every single point raised thus far? Perhaps it was true that for Gaucho to learn he would first need to know that he was wrong but .. .simply because Rasta was the more eloquent of the two, did not mean that he was the one working under incorrect assumptions.

"Just because Gaucho not know them that way not mean he not care. Not mean he can't care. When Gaucho first find Mara, she small. Just an egg. Then hatch. Gaucho not know anything about her then, but we bond. If someone take her away, you think that mean he not care anymore? That Gaucho can't care just because he not know enough?" He shook his crown to indicate that it was not so, regardless of the fact that Rasta couldn't see it. "It not take knowing facts to care. It come from here -" At this he patted his blue-striped chest with his wing tips, indicating his heart. His soul. "All take to care is to care. I care because Throat my family. Gaucho do understand situation. I am Sultan. I am not there to be their care giver. I am there to protect and defend. There to make decisions. Why I need to relax?"

It was confusing. It didn't make sense to him.

"Why I need a reason other than Throat to care? You choose to be in Throat. That's what matters. Why else care? Because Rasta pretty? Why that matter for caring? Because Rasta have hard life before? Because Rasta blind? No - because Gaucho can care even if Rasta not blind and not have hard life, so that can't matter either. So then why else care? You not need to make Gaucho laugh, or cry, or think, or happy in order to care. Gaucho care about lots who don't do those things."

There was no fundamental thing that needed to be the case before one was entitled to care. Mother's cared for their foals even before they knew who they would be, before you could ascribe pleasing aesthetic traits to them, or know their life stories. That was instantenous. If true love was a real thing, then one could care (following the love) whilst knowing hardly anything at all. So what could it matter how much Gaucho both did or didn't know about Rasta? Why should that pose any sort of barrier?

His teeth clenched together as she asked of Note. It pained him to think of the stallion, for his last encounter with him had been in the caves which is why he had apparently hurt Sohalia so deeply. Still, the stallion had once resided in the Throat, long, long ago. He and Gaucho had ever sparred. "Note .. tallish. He a pegasus with lightning magic. Have a feline companion."

Table style by Tamme!

He was exasperating. That much I knew and had accepted a while ago. His anger seemed to take full force in just one word and I flinched backwards, eyes squeezing shut and ears falling back as I prepared for some kind of physical pain to befall me. Yet, instead of attacking he simply began to speak - a lot more than I would have ever expected of him.

I took them in, feeling the shaking of his crown and the movement of his wings. Though, I had to send another wave of vibrations, lowering my maw for a second to see just exactly where he was patting. His heart. However, I did not interrupt, I simply allowed him to continue speaking in his broken, third person english. I could understand, though, and that was what mattered at the moment.

So, when he finally paused I allowed the words to slip. "Yes. It starts off without a reason - I will agree with you on that. You must care from your heart. But when you care you invest time. For those you truly care about you should know information about them beyond their outward appearances. I don't expect you to have known me. And while I'm grateful someone thinks I'm pretty - for I highly doubt I can be - it doesn't matter and it shouldn't, as you said. My point is not that you have to know things to care, but that if you care you will take the time to learn them. It is hard, when on the other side, to know that someone cares when they are never there beside them."

I pause, voice freezing so that it didn't shake, so that it didn't show that I was actually uncertain of if he was going to kill me or not. No. I would appear strong, for the most part. "Gaucho. If you don't relax at times you put unneeded stress upon yourself. You risk making yourself sick when you need to be strong. One can not be alert all the time - one has to have time to rest. Why not rest with those you love? Why not also show them a soft side, that I'm sure has to be there when you care so much for Sohalia and your children." I shake my head, letting out a short breath. "I'm not sure how else to explain. You are right in that these facts don’t matter to care. But you are also wrong. Because if you don't take the time to learn them… sometimes others don't know that you care."

I stop broaching the topic. I'm not sure we should keep beating the dead wraith when we were going in circles. Pegasus, tallish, lightning magic and a feline companion. "Lithe or thick? Is he graceful, cautious, quiet, or loud? Does he seem confident or withdrawn?" I needed more, really, for I felt with those words he could be any pegasus I ran across. I had to narrow down my search if I wanted to let him know about his child so that he could be there for Sohalia if necessary.
Rasta
Image Credit

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
When Rasta mentioned that he needed rest, that he could not be alert all the time he wanted to immediately disagree. He could. He was and would continue to be. So the patches on his face had seemingly grown darker with exhaustion but what of it? He still protected his herd did he not? Tandavi remained safe from those who tried to attack her and no harm had befallen his kin. The Sun God saw fit to bless both he and the rest of the herd. Gaucho didn't need to rest. If anything, he needed to do more.

However exhaustion of a different sort had already settled in. Mental exhaustion. So he merely shrugged his shoulders dismissing the topic. It had made a lasting impression upon him, but he would need to ponder it more later. For now, his mental resources were nearly spent.

Ahhh Note ... He had spent a season under the season with the stallion, brothers of the Throat early on. They had sparred together - Note seemed relatively flighty and ill-prepared though packed impressive lightning magic. As Rasta was keen to observe, Gaucho knew relatively little about those around him. Note included. So when she asked for more details, the stallion had to pause and think.

"Quiet. Note not talk much. Has scar on side he doesn't like to show." (Great clues for a blind mare so far. A+) "Not confident. Note always weak. He back down from Gaucho in caves - " That was probably not helpful. Sighing the Wildfire shook his head slightly. "Feline companion. Gray pegasus. That all Gaucho remember. "

Former mate of Sohalia ... father of a half sibling to his own children. There was that too.

Looking up to a sky now blanketed with stars, the stallion sighed once again. Exhaustion had finally found him, clouding his thoughts and causing a yawn to part his dark lips. His blind gaze moved to Rasta, wishing he could see her as she was now - poised to continue lecturing him beneath the stars.

"It late ... Gaucho return to Throat. But come to Falls soon .. need to talk to Midas. Maybe see Rasta then..."

See. Probably not. Gaucho wouldn't retain his sight until the Throat had completed their entire task.

Table style by Tamme!

If my stare could go any blanker than it already was, that was the stare Gaucho was receiving as he explained Note further to me. Very little was given, even with my prompting of the things I was trying to remember. Something about a scar (which I wouldn't be able to see unless it was thick and protruded from his side, which I doubted) and him being grey. Yes. Definitely helpful. Weak, but I doubted it. I would assume he was mentally more capable, one who perhaps wished to hide in the shadows like the Czarina Seele had done. She was strong… just in a different manner. She had been strong… until she no longer was. He wasn't confident, though, and that could assist. Perhaps his movements would show that.

Regardless of the exasperation which made me have a very strong desire to yell at Gaucho and tell him that what he said wasn't helpful, I bit my tongue. "Thank you - I'll do my best to search for him." After all, it seemed that both of us were getting annoyed at each other.

Another sigh escaped Gaucho's lisp as I felt his cranium lift towards the skies. A yawn, and then he returned his gaze back to me. He said it was late and that he must return, but that he would come to the Falls soon. That he needed to talk to Midas and that he might see me then. I nodded my head though he couldn't see it. "If you, or Midas, wish for me to be there I shall do my best to be there." I responded. I still respected him for his strength - I just didn't trust him to always make the most intelligent decisions when it came to politics. They were two separate entities. And, until I saw him use his strength to injure someone who did not deserve it, that respect would stay. "Be safe Gaucho. Do what you can for the Throat family - but remember you are not a God, you cannot forever work without relaxing, sleeping, finding moments of peace." There is a pause. "I must return as well - Alleo and Africa are probably worried. And know, Gaucho, if I hear news of Sohalia I will come to the Throat and tell you. It is a two-way bridge, one I do not wish to burn."

And with that, I swished my tail and cantered off back toward where the Falls was. Back toward my home so that I could rest in peace with Alleo for the night. I could only hope that Gaucho had learned something from our talk. I could only hope that I had helped him.
Rasta
Image Credit