the Rift

[OPEN] LET THE GAMES BEGIN (edge games #1)

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
It continuously amazed the queen to see how all the herds could work and play together, even despite their differences. There was so many animosity, so much history, between them all, but she maintained hope that they could all continue the peace that had so-far pervaded Helovia. As the volunteers that were following the contestants around reported back to her with the answers, her eyes twinkled with the creativity that everyone was displaying. She could hardly believe how every mind worked so differently, and yet so creatively, to come up with answers. But then, she supposed that was what the Edge had been trying to accomplish with the Edge games- showing that diversity did not have to be a bad thing. Diversity could bring together and unite others under a common goal as well.

But as the sun drew ever across the sky, Kahlua knew that the games for this season must come to an end. There would have to be time to announce the winners, for the crafters to do their part, and for the contestants to all travel home (or stay the night here, if it pleased them more to do so). Regardless, she knew she must announce the final clues. “Great work, everyone! To end, my friends, perhaps you can capture us the rainbow. Oh, and while you’re at it, find us the gold at the end as well!” Something bright and cheery to end the day with, she had decided, would be the best way to go about everything.

Sorry for the delay, friends. You’ve got one week (or one week plus however many days until I post) and then we’ll announce the winners!!
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Tis getting late. The sun was slowly creeping along its predetermined path, a trailhead drawn long before anything had walked this planet. Our last set of clues create no more of a spark than the first few. I stared ahead at the painted queen, awestruck at how completely empty my mind was. Apparently for me, games aren't a strength. Neve was unmoved by negativity and instead chattered encouragement while snickering fondly and clacking her beak. Fina even went as far as to let loose a rare beam; she was already scrambling to think up an array of suitable answers.

I pondered on a few possibilities quietly for many long moments. Then it dawned on me -- before either girl could chirp in their countering claim an enthusiastic rise came from my throat, a word suggesting the answer toward something gold. The phoenix scowled aloud, rolling her eyes in the most exasperated manner as our personal 'helper' from the Edge went to report our (my) answer. Neve was kinder, she gleamed approvingly and nudged my neck.

Annoyed and slightly frustrated by my 'fruitless, bland' suggestion...Fina didn't linger to burst my bubble of momentary enlightenment (however wasted she felt it was,) instead the girl flew off with Neve in tow. Confident that I'd maneuver aimlessly around in the forest looking for a rainbow long enough for her to find a 'suitable' answer. Aye, while stumbling around the shoreline of a nearby pool, there sat (as if placed by Earth himself) the final piece of today's festivities.
For centuries

CREDIT GOES HERE
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
She hesitated longer by the tree line, while the Official moved through the open to find the Sunshower. Quietly, and with expanding interest Africa watched the flurry of activity – she likened them to a beehive with workers ever bustling about, cocooning around their sitting Queen. A light smile played with the corners of her mouth, but it slipped when the hulking frame of the Dragon’s Throat warrior Hector moved by. Dapple grey frame shrank swiftly back into shadow; suddenly she was not feeling so confident about them finding her.

Silas sailed above watching from on high. The time away from duty had been remarkably refreshing – even though fatigue was pressing heavily down upon each of their minds.

Soon enough, the Official returned and explained clearly that next they needed to capture a rainbow, and at its end discover gold... Africa grunted and glanced towards the circling black silhouette in the afternoon sky. I think these are getting harder and harder... she sighed, but she was not at all discourage and thanked the horse kindly for helping. Long legs swivelled her body around in a circle, and then again as she considered just how she might capture something so awfully elusive – naturally, she had tried this before.

Grey, whiskered lips touched momentarily the satchel by her elbow, and she whispered tenderly to the slug (presumably) inside. "I bet you’re getting bored in there... after this round I will find you more food." She set off this time in a southerly direction, searching for the rocky ledge from which she had descended a very long time ago. Red and yellow, and pink and green... she hummed softly, "...purple and orange, and blue! Silas, I have an idea..." Right away, she set her eyes to the task and began to search through the undergrowth.

The glossy black Roc descended to aid her, impressed by her creativity.

It was late in Birdsong and far harder than she realised it would be, but as the sun threatened it bury beneath the western ocean. Africa and her companion found the selection that she wanted, though it had taken a focused search through the forest, the meadow and everywhere in between. She laid them out very carefully before adding one final touch, and then with a growing smile called the Official over to see. The horse nodded in support before turning to lead them back towards the meeting place.

Africa
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
Doubt comes in on sticks but then he kicks like a horse.
They were almost done ... the sooner they finished, the sooner Gaucho could ...

Well, could what? Catch up with Ampere? And then what? Ask her if her sides were enlarging for any particular reason? Ask if he he was that reason? It made his insides clench and quiver in a strange way. He both hoped the child was his, and didn't. If the child was his, he would be forever bonded to Ampere through that life, and should things between the two go sideways, he didn't want to subject the child to that sort of drama. Yet... yet he so strong wanted it to be his.

Wanted Ampere to be his.

With a grunt, the dun set off to complete this final task

"Rainbow and gold?" He repeated, more to himself than to Mara, whose mind was already whizzing away, trying to find an answer that would satisfy.

Silently he wondered if the collection of these items was not meant to ... to aid the Edge in someway. Was this scavenger hunt just a way for them to gather materials they needed to complete a project? Mara bobbed Gaucho on the end of his nose with the end of her tail, hissing.

Ssssssssssssstop being so sssssssssssskeptical She whispered in his mind.

They moved once again through the forest. Gaucho's stormy gaze penetrated through the fog and mist, trying to discern what would be considered a rainbow, and what could be considered gold. He noticed that Midas was here - surely the paint would have an easy time with the gold - all he needed to do was stand still for a few moments and the earth around him would begin to glisten and glimmer with a golden sheen.

Indeed the Throat had many metals as well. Perhaps something at home might have looked like gold but ... here? What was there here?

Image Credits -- Table style by Tamme!
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd
SHIDA
You're doing it wrong.

HOW IS THIS NOT OVER YET.

More shit. The painted queen wants more shit. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I mentally groan (actually wait no, I did that outloud) as I set off once again.

"Common yo. Queen wants some leprechaun shit." I mumble to my humble follower, before prancing (flailing) off into the woods.

I realize I sort of like having a buddy around who isn't Auri. I notice that some other folks around here have like.. animal friends. I mean, Ma has that thing I tried to eat that one time - the ice bird. Da has that ... idk. Like fog or whatever. Maybe I can have something too? That'd be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

First things first.

Rainbow. Gold.

I look up into the sky, squinting. It's a fucking beautiful ass day. Of course there aren't any rainbows here. I nibble on my lip as I think to myself (my follower is being silent as usual).

"Maybe ........" My eyes drift to the trees for a second, as I'm hit with an idea. "CATCH IT." I suddenly scream, running towards a tree as if I can just run up the side. My front hooves stretch up as far as they can, and I sort of hop at the base of the tree, shrieking and flailing excitedly. "GETITGETITGETITGETIT!!!!" I shout to my buddy, hoping that he has some ideas on how to catch the thing. I sure as fuck don't.

He manages it, and I smirk proudly. The queen is gonna be sooooooooooooooooo surprised. I'm totally nailing this. I wonder what the others are bringing in as their items? Probably stupid stuff. Not totally clever like me. I can't wait until I win and I can rub it in Auri's FACE.

SHIDA FTW!

Image by Tamme!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ignorance is bliss as they say. Though Ampere didn't know that she was ignorant, or blissful because of it, it was for the best that she hadn't noticed Gaucho's lurking behavior. Had she, it likely would have sparked a confrontation in which the conversation would have been less than appealing to him. Although their night together had been sinfully delicious, it had been gut-wrenchingly terrible every day after. The bitterness was made all the worse for the sweetness at first.

Besides, Ampere didn't need any distractions in this game of mental wits. She struggled enough when competing with herself in that category, much less with others. She was confident in most her choices, but she turned to her aide in exasperation after hearing the most recent clues. "Rainbows?" she demanded, feathers ruffling against her back as she and the Edger walked back into the woods. Clearly Kahlua wasn't a pegasus, else she'd already know rainbows couldn't be caught. It had to be one of the first things any pegasus foal attempted.

This is where the wits came in.

Frowning, Ampere tromped through the woods, gaze casting back and forth for both a rainbow and gold. She had an idea for the gold, though she couldn't quite place her wing on it - likely it wasn't what Kahlua was looking for, but perhaps she could build a case... it was the only idea she had. The rainbow continued to stump her, until at last she spied something of a stretch. Grabbing it, just ready to be done, Ampere ran back to the queen.
Ampere

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

As the next clue was revealed by the painted Queen, fond memories served to stir a subtle smile through his otherwise unyielding expression. She was coloured like a brother of old; perhaps a clue herself, but Hector imagined that was not her intention. Bright, flame-orange gaze turned curiously to scan the meeting area, the bodies scattering throughout; mind searching also, for an idea that might pave the way to victory. A rainbow and it’s gold, he told the Boggart by his side, a tone that insisted he not stray this time from the task.

Out of the corner of his eye, the copper giant noticed the patterned blue tail-feathers of the Mother of Companions flashing into the forest, and curiously – without any stunning idea of his own yet evolving – he turned to track her path.

Large hooves sliced callously into the gentle cushion of forest soil and he noted the evidence of his passing with a heedful glance back; making certain to travel instead across bulging tussocks of grass or fallen wood. Hector’s intention was hardly to copy the puny Gladiator – she yet to earn his respect in battle, let alone the model of her thought. In turn, as she vanished into the bush ahead, he began to hunt through the scrub, the litter on the floor for anything that might resemble either of the clues given.

Veci too helped, and as he came across something apparently rainbow, he summoned nearer his partner.

Hector peered with narrow eyes at the Boggart’s discovery, and he scoffed approvingly. See, there are better uses for you than terrorizing all the time. Fierce orange eyes turned promptly towards the Official trailing them. He gestured towards the plant, and the rainbow was swiftly captured.

And our gold? the stallion probed afterward, turning towards the haze of darker air that seemed only ever visible to him.

The ghost twirled in place – increasingly distracted; bored and reluctant.

Brawny legs continued along, following the lead of nostrils as they danced hither and thither through the air. Still the thought which had originally been spurred would not dull from his mind. Perhaps, though lazy, it would not hurt to call on bonds of the past in this instant and Hector turned with a half-smile to reveal his golden answer to the waiting Official.

With the final clue sorted, Hector and Veci followed the Edge horse along a winding path back through the forest towards the Sunshower.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
“Thank you all for being such great sports!” the queen announced brightly at the conclusion of the game, as the game assistants guided their charges back towards the center of the forest. It had been a tight race, surely, with so many good answers and discoveries here in the forest. It was a wonder, she thought sometimes, that there were still things to discover here; but then, days like this occurred, where every corner showed a new mystery she had never seen before. From bears to beetles, rainbow trouts to exploded frogs, there had been strange things from all corners of the Edge. However, in the end, it was two in particular who stood out among the rest.

“We hope you’ll join us again soon for another game of camaraderie.” Letting silence settle for a moment, she looked towards Parelia, Brisa, and Nasreen. Between the three of them, the two winners would have their prizes. “Our first winner is Shida, who has showered our land with many… interesting ideas for answers to the clues.” How to nicely put it? That was about as good as she could figure it. “The other winner is Hector, a warrior from the Throat. Many congratulations, my friends. Brisa, Nasreen, and Parelia can help you with your prizes.”

Gleefully, she stood atop her rock, watching the contestants as they would decide to either disband, stay to chat, or (for those who had won) see what they would have made for them. She had plenty of her own ideas, of course, about what would make good prizes, but these were not hers to be had. Another day, another time.

OOC| These are IC prizes, so you’ll need to tell our crafters @[Brisa], @[Parelia], or @[Nasreen] what medium glass item you would like made. You can continue in this thread, or start a new one. These will be Birdsong items from our crafters.

Midas: 10
Africa: 11
Ampere: 9
Gaucho: 11
Shida: 13
Hector: 13

Rei: 11
Destrier: 5
Alysanne: 3
Hotaru: 5

Answers and dice values for those who were interested.
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

As all of the competitors gathered again swiftly and eagerly before Kahlua, Queen of World’s Edge, Hector’s roaming eyes noted a handful of familiar faces that he had not before appreciated.

Among the crowd were allies from home – Gaucho the Wildfire, Ampere the Mother of Companions, but also brothers who had strayed to different lands; Midas the Gallant in particular. Hector moved to stand (or loom) beside the stallion he had not seen for many seasons and spewed tender breath about the collar where it rested near the peak of his withers. "Spars and conversation are owed, Midas. It has been too long between." His chest rumbled deeply as he tried to limit the spread of his words to the black and white Czar’s ears alone. "I will visit your falls during Tallsun..."

Attention turned then suddenly to the similarly painted mare at the head of the meeting – she began to speak, and Hector was not one to disrespect. Neat cupped ears titled forward with interest, curious to learn the outcome, or payoff, for this day’s toiling. Of course it was all a game, and he understood that well, but perhaps a battle of the brawn would have been a simpler task for one hardly gifted with wit. All the while the Sunshower spoke – inviting their return for future events – the tawny giant was nodding quietly and appropriately, heeding her all focus both polite and necessary. He just was not big on so many words...

She announced in fair time the first winner, Shida, a foal it seemed who’s reputation Hector had never crossed paths with (a fine thing, children were not his partiality). He smiled civilly enough before his own name was called through those gathered and he could not help but swing a glance by both Ampere and Gaucho; a success potentially, in both of their eyes. A tireless warrior in every respect, he wished nothing more than to prove himself in the eyes of his superiors – and all things, in the name of the Sun.

He threw forward heartily, "thank you Edge for your games..." with a lifted chin and a chuffed (nearly smug) grin winding through his expression. Deciding to wait until the gathering had disbanded entirely before he pursued his prize, Hector settled in to mingle a little longer – maybe even stay overnight! he mused silently.