the Rift

[OPEN] gluttony [challenge viewing]

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
Evangeline
you always want what you're running from

Evangeline and Tallis had remained on the floating island after the turtle that had been so generous to give away gifts had left. It was her curiosity that had kept her there, looking around and exploring different areas. She had decided that she, more than likely, wouldn't be staying much longer because if Kahlua or Kaj needed her they wouldn't be able to find her. As that decision was made she couldn't help but think that neither of them had needed her for anything lately. If they didn't need her what purpose was she serving?

She hesitated as a voice rang out, calling for a name that was only vaguely familiar. Had she met a Cetan before? He did not stop at screaming the name, though. No, taunts followed coupled with the threat of hell for crossing him. Whoever he was. "Its none of our business." Evangeline turned her head to the dragon perched on her back. The dragon was reluctant to agree, being a fighter by nature and all.

'Listen.' The dragon said as Eva began to walk again. She stopped, her ears straining forward to try and catch whatever sound Tallis had heard. Her eyes widened. That voice. It couldn't be Thor. "No..." She said in disbelief. Tallis snorted and took to the air with Evangeline trailing behind him.

By the time she reached the battlefield the fight had already begun, the unicorn charging Thor, using his horns to inflict damage on the heavier draft. "Thor!" She couldn't help herself and immediately regretted it. What if she distracted him and the unicorn injured him severely? "You idiot!" She mentally screamed at the draft stallion. "You better not die."

"."

ooc:
@[Cetan]
I went ahead and tagged you since I figured he'd be there to watch since Thor accepted the challenge on his behalf.
open for anyone who wants to post :P

and you know this is more than you can take
full image/stock credits

Cetan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Cetan

Life has a way of kicking us when we’re down. And just when we think we can’t fall any lower, we get kicked again.

I was going to be sick. I heard Thranduil's calls, his demands that i appear before him. So across the island i ran, dread in my step. Fighting... i didn't know how. I had never, never used my horns as weapons, and now here i was readying to draw blood. The thought of it made me feel as close to nauseated as i could get. I appear at the edge of the arena, but i am not the first.

What i see next horrifies me beyond measure. Thor has taken my place. Is defending me from one who would have been my victim. The reality of it doesn't hit me until they clash, and i hear his bellow of pain. "Dascăl!" I cannot hold back the cry, and i nearly leap into the arena, but i stop myself in time. There is another here, but i pay her no heed, my gaze locked on Thor as he fights.

It should be me. Those hooves should be against my side, those horns goring my flesh. Why. Why did he take my place? I couldn't understand it, and shame filled me as i came to an answer. Because i was too weak to fight. Because i would shame the Edge in my floundering. I don't want him to see me here, to see the anger and the disgust that would no doubt be in his eyes. It is my fault he is being hurt, my fault for not being clever enough.

I step back, then turn tail and flee, vanishing among the tents towards the edge of the isle. I had let him down. I had failed. I had not been the clever creature he wished for me to be, and the weight of my guilt was crushing, stealing my breath. Had i not learned already? I was cursed. Weak.

Useless.

Word Count: 309 Tags: 000
Background Credits!Valanee.devianart.com | Lineart

Please tag Cetan in all posts

Permission is given for all force against Cetan provided it doesn't kill him.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
KAJ

Something like pride writes itself into the marrow of his bones, gazing down upon the battle. He had come at the call, fury in his heart with the weight of a thousand different sorrows that did not stem from the challenger. He is exasperated by his sleuths, as they'd been told not to steal from the Basin, but he will deal with that later. Cetan is but a child, he can be excused, and they can readily patch things if they are swift and courteous. Instead, he views them hovering on heavy wings from above, eyes sad but understanding. Kaj had attempted the same thing when Aurelia had come calling for Kahlua's blood. Thor was a valiant, experienced fighter. Once, he had stood in Kaj's place, alongside Mirage in times of strife and triumph. Kaj had no doubt that he would walk away satisfied with his own choices, regardless of the outcome.

Below him, Evangeline and Cetan move to watch, and their distress calls to him like a siren in a storm. He cannot leave them to their worry, even as his heartstrings pull to see the beautiful mare below. Rumors though they were not, Kaj's eyes were always upon the Edge lands, and he would have to be blind to not see how Thor and Evangeline met so regularly. Though he had never professed his love for her, what he felt for the Emissary was unmistakable. He agonized to know that once again he was found wanting, cast aside for a better life, a better suitor. So many had danced beneath his love, taking all they could before leaving him a husk of loneliness. It ached like a missing limb, a phantom pain, but Kaj was selfless to the end. He descended on quiet feathers, not wishing to disturb nor distract the Gentle Heart in his battle.

Landing behind the pair, he approaches quietly, somber and subdued. Battle was a gruesome, messy thing, but one with rules that Kaj had ingrained into his head. War was an art, a theory, an ideal. Thor understood that well, and so Kaj could not be consumed with the same emotion the other two felt.

"Thor is an experienced fighter, he shall be alright." It is the first to tumble from his lips, quiet and sincere as he stares ahead into the battle. His heart stays stuck firmly in his throat, choking him, and for a moment he wishes it would. Death had to be better than the agony of loneliness consumed by a heart that should not still be able to give love so freely.

Perhaps it was unfair of him to feel such bitterness for her. He hadn't deigned to reveal how he truly felt about her, he had no real claim on her. Regardless, he had thought they were something more. Something beyond friends. Once again, it seemed he had been wrong. So he merely turned to look at Cetan, wing lifting in an attempt to brush soft feathers against his flank. He moved closer, eyes seeking out the youth's.

"He fights because he cares for you, Cetan. He is a strong fighter, he will not fail you, and he will never blame you. But you must be strong for him." Words slip slow and soft from his lips, eyes sincere. It is a better distraction from Evangeline than anything, caring for someone so young, so distraught. Only it serves to remind him of Kahlua and her reticence to be with him. As the battle wages on he cannot ignore Evangeline any longer, and he tries to remember how it had felt when Archibald had turned his bones to stone. He certainly needed it, to feel solid any longer.

"Your love for each other is apparent. I...I wish you happiness. Care for him, after this. He will...he will need you." It is the hardest thing he can possibly say, tears through his throat and out his mouth like a ball of barbed wire. His wings have been slumped in defeat since he has moved away from Cetan, and it is agony to force himself to look her in the eyes, should she even deign to meet his gaze. The limits of his strength tested, Kaj turned and escaped from the weight of his sorrows, fleeing to the impartial embrace of the skies where none of them can reach him. Where he can watch Thor carefully, prepared for intervention, but not have to deal with Evangeline's sharp words and emotionless facts. That's not what he needs. It's likely never to be what he needs. But the only soul capable of comforting him is missing, and he is left to his pain alone.

LeadeR
world's edge
Image Credit

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!