the Rift

[OPEN] Nostalgia Critic

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Thistles are pretty ‘n all but by then I had a bitch of an itch on my right ass cheek so I just had to sit down for a while.

Well, not actually sitting. More like standing in the shallows of the creek that ran through this place, letting the water whizz passed me, the coolness of it feeling great against my frogs, soothing me. Like some asshole was massaging my feet, just for me, as though someone would be brave enough to touch them bastards. Really, though, I was starting to learn that it was a good thing to let myself sit down every once in a while, cool off from all the fighting and the screaming and the running around in circles and just… let myself think for a little while.

Somehow that was a good idea.

I mean, I dunno man. Not like I knew exactly what to think, or how to think, or anything of that sort. Like my thoughts were anything soothing or righteous or whatever. Children keep dying was one thought I kept having, which was far as hell from any sort of tranquility I could be getting. Darkness is all over the place, and I don’t know what to do. Thistles are terrible, they’re almost like sand on stilts. Jeez Pa, couldn’t you make your instructions even a little more vague? I wonder what Ma’s doing right now. I wonder if she’s thinking of me. I’ve got a bitch of an itch on my left ass cheek, goddamn.

I sighed a ragged sigh, backing into a tree and rubbing my itchy cheek against it. Fuck me that felt great. But then I was moving and once I got moving I needed something to do and soothing foot-water wasn’t gonna stop that. Okay, fights, fights, I thought, but there was no one to fight and it seemed counterproductive to fight myself. Or…was it?

Have I ever really practiced before? Well yeah, against a bunch of different bastards, or maybe like….two, three, or something. But had I ever really taken time for myself to discover…welp, myself? The point was that I needed something to do and I was bullshitting my way into doing it and when I ended up launching a searing-hot bolt of blue lightning from my horn into the trunk of another tree across the creek, my reasoning was that I was practicing and that was enough of an excuse for me.

So I shot another one at the tree, at the black, sooty target I had made with my previous shot. I made another and there was a deep

C R A C K

from the center of the wood that made several birds titter and fly away from me (probably muttering “crazy bitch” as they did). It took one more shot to finally obliterate that piece of trunk, sending the tree falling to the ground (okay, okay, technically it was still sort of a sapling and it was pretty thin anyway but come on lemme just get that VP, ‘kay?).

@[Shida] first--then others welcome!

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

SHIDA
I'll be a thousand miles to the sun
before you even know what I've done
So listen. When kids like me are young, we're impressionable. Impressionable basically means everything is a big goddamn deal and life changing. Like HOLY FUCK THE STREAMS HAVE DONE A BARREL ROLL OR GRAVITY HAS JUST DUN FUCKED UP BECAUSE WATER IS COMING FROM THE SKIES. And then you learn it's rain and folks don't think it's a big deal. But to you it's goddamn Armageddon.

Anyways. Today I'm basically going to meet my soulmate, or spirit animal, or like mystical fucking guardian guru or whatever you want to call it.

No pressure.

I hear the sound and I immediately know what it is. It's basically the only sound other than Ma and Pa's voice that I know with absolute certainty. IT'S AN EXPLOSION. I feel the red feeling pulse quickly through my veins as I hightail it towards the sound. Nothing in my brain goes DANGER. DANGER WILL ROBINSON because so far life has been coming up aces for me. That one time the big gray bitch might have done anything Pa came in to save me.

The world is my oyster yo and that sound was the icing on the cake. (Listen. Metaphors aren't really my thing, just go with it.)

I see the tree fall and then I see this magnificent motherfucker who I correctly assume is the cause. I'm delighted to find it's a kid like me, albeit a sort of weird looking one, but hey, I'm not one to judge (j/k of course I am. Girl looks weeeiiirdd). But if she can make explosions that basically means we're bestfriends already, so I don't really mind.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I scream as I do the thing. Lately everytime I use my magic lately it's preceded by a scream. It just feels natural y'know? Like I'm just letting it alllllllllll out.

I can't fell a tree with lightning like she did, but I can erupt the earth beneath one. There's no satisfying CRACK of bark being peeled apart, but instead the groan of the tree rings out as a big fucker crashes down to the ground.

"AWWWWW YISSS. MUTHA. FUCKIN'. EXPLOSIONS."

... I'm still trying to work out a catch phrase.

I scramble forwards, joy and lunacy written all over my face as I grin broadly. I look at my new BFF and casually shrug, tossing my mane over my shoulders like it was no big thang.

"Mine was bigger." I point out, looking at my fallen tree. "But you know, lightning is purdy cool."

If I knew I was talking to a demi-god would that have changed my pompous attitude? Not a chance. I mean, this was about EXPLOSIONS not blood lines.

Image by the lovely dark! Table style by Tamme!

So okay I guess there was some sort of petition going around signing me up to be some kid’s mentor. No big deal, right? Big whoop. I’m definitely a suitable role model for your little future convict seeing as my hygiene is always on point, my language is totally G rated and I know a thing or two about collateral damage. Which, really, is what childhood is all about.

I guess.

I think.

Anyway, I don’t see it at first, being so tiny and all, whizzing its way toward me. There was still a persistent itch on my ass-cheek because thistles are awful if you accidently roll around in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong cheek (this is not a time for judgment so shut your awful mouth). I was backing into my ass-scratching tree, sighing a little bit with the slight sense of satisfaction I had gotten from the exhilarating demolition of tiny trees. And it was then that I heard it coming—not see it, but heard it, and it was definitely something to hear.

*"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"*

WHUMPH.

The ground shook underneath me and the water splashed everywhere; I felt pebbles ‘n shit shoot painfully into my legs; I looked behind me and my ass scratching tree was falling sideways, at least three times as thick as the one I had felled myself, the dirt around the roots having shot everywhere in a flurry of deep brown earth. I stumbled forward, away from it, but it was falling away from me, creaking all the way down as it did, cussing out someone who turned out to be the smallest fucking thing I had ever heard or seen in my entire life.

Had I ever been that small?

*"AWWWWW YISSS. MUTHA. FUCKIN'. EXPLOSIONS."*

Had I ever had that mouth?!

The answers were yes because I will never not be short in my life and I was probably only big as a minute when I was just freshly gross-birthed; and no, but that was only by default since I didn’t actually…talk as a child. Which is probably why I was so shocked by this thing that ambled toward me, all kinds of fire and spunk, because the mirror that was held up to my eyes was disorienting, a fun-house bastard of a reflection if I ever saw one. The memories were pouring into my head faster than I could process them, the memories of energy and excitement that I had all but forgotten.

But I hadn’t had the power to explode the motherfucking earth when I was little and I certainly didn’t have the type of courage to scream at strangers and compare blast radiuses like they were our junk so I kinda stared down at this teeny-tiny scrawny booger of a thing and I didn’t really have much of a game-plan so I just—

--sorta, um…dropped the ball.

“….the fuck are you?! I screamed at a child.

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

Shida
Delicate as FUCK
Now I know what you're thinking.

Like, Ros. OHHH EMM GEEE. You can't just *scream* at a child, especially one who will clearly explode anything that even remotely upsets her. Have you no forethought ? Have you no tact ? But don't worrrrrry because Shida is actually handling this exceptionally well.

Either that, or she's fairly high up on the autism scale.

Whichever.

I hear the older kid yelling, but it's totally cool. Sometimes I yell after explosions too, when my ears are all ringy-sounding and everything gets muffled. I mean. She's obviously not mad at me (my mental narrator laughs). I haven't done anything wrong!

"Shida." I respond casually, as if it's some obvious fact. She could have been asking, "Sorry, is today Monday?" and my answer would have had the same tone. Now, it isn't because I think everyone just knows who I am, it's more like ... it's irrelevant. Who cares who I am? Or what my name is? Like, what does it matter whose dick I shot out of, or whose pooper? What does it matter what sounds they call me? Why can't it just be like, heyyyy you blow stuff up. I blow stuff up, lets just frolic off into the sunset?

Although looking at this kid now she defo looks older. Not like Ma and Da older but not like ... well, she isn't a kid. I guess that's why she asked who I was. That kind of stuff matters for adults. ughhhhghghghghg does that mean I'm about to get a lecture, like big bitch December? Like Shiiiida you can't just blow stuff up or Shiiiiida you destroyed half of the falls don't you care about all the lives you destroyed ? YAWWWNNNN.

I run my tongue over my teeth as I look at her, and I can feel my lips twitching as my gaze falls onto the hair-things that line her face. Suddenly I want to bite them and find out if they really are hair, or are some weird growth. Is there puss inside? I realize I'm making faces to accompany my thoughts and abruptly stop. Don't want to be rude after all.

"You?" (It's called reciprocation OKKKKAAAYY. I'm a conversational GENIUS), except I don't really care.

I just want to blow some stuff up.

Image Credits

“Oh,” I said as the tiny thing introduced itself herself as “Shida”. “I’m—uh, Ros.” Call me shell-shocked, but I was still reeling from the force of her entry into my life and space—and also with the way I had spoken (shouted) at her and feeling immensely guilty about it, because I guess there was this over-hanging idealism that told you that you weren’t supposed to scream obscenities at strangers?

Like, okay.

My Ma never treated me like a child, honestly (as far as I remembered). Well, at least, she never did it to my face. And she never talked down to me, or dumbed up her speech, or whatever shit like that that some people do with their young’uns. She just talked real shit to me and expected me to understand, and whether or not I actually did, she still gave me that little nugget of respect.

But she didn’t scream cusswords at me, neither.

So I was stuck momentarily in a state of self-consciousness as I faced this little girl whose virgin ears I probably destroyed—but I didn’t see any blood flowing down from ‘em, and frankly, she didn’t seem perturbed in the slightest by my toxic mouth (well I mean yeah, look at hers!). I cocked a brow down at her, wondering whose child this was to be running around by themselves spewing things at random strangers; I glanced around, but there was no one here, no one but me and Shawty here, so I guess her well being defaulted as my responsibility.

“That was my ass-scratcher,” I said, some feeling coming back to my voice—and it turns out that feeling was a gruff one, because my ass was still itching and now that I was becoming aware of it again, it was annoying me. I backed up into another tree, one that was still whole and was probably grieving the death of his comrades; I groaned and grunted deeply in satisfaction, because that itch had been deep man, going passed the skin and whatever all the way down in my muscles ‘n shit.

“Do, um…that one,” I said suddenly, my eyes looking up and pointing to another tree, a little thicker this time, a little ways down the creek from where we were. For good measure, I sent a bolt a that one too, the air sizzling and CRACKling as I smeared a blackened, ashy blob against the trunk—a perfect target for Shawty. I mean, fuck it. I was already practicing so…why not pull her into it, too?

Teach her to aim at least. Fuck I hate thistles.