the Rift

New and Ancient Languages

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
I will be your shield when you are a soldier

Just before sunup, the world was awash in muddy gray mist. In the darkness, Birdsong and Frostfall wore the same pall of silence and gloom. The world would have continued on in its comfortable routine if not for the broad shape of a mare breaking through foggy banks and her soft alto breaking through the still silence.

Cheska couldn't remember the lyrics to this particular aria, but she knew it was a very old song, sung by her ancestors for many generations back. She was fairly sure that it was something about gods. Or foals who wouldn't go to sleep. Or a particularly intelligent snail. Something like that. In any case, it was a familiar, pretty tune that distracted her from sore hooves and creeping regrets. She kept pace at a rhythmic strut to provide percussion, cracking a wayward branch here or there. She'd never dare to make her music so freely among strangers, but the forest was an old friend to her, and far too quiet without the accompaniment.

She moved with surefooted purpose, tugged along by an irresistible thread toward parts unknown. She was fairly sure she'd been going the right way when she'd run into a very fashionable and rather talkative crow a few miles back. She tried to recall if she'd ever heard a crow speak before. She didn't think she had… but perhaps she'd just not been listening before. A shame, she conceded, because surely one who could see above the clouds would have an entirely different perspective from one so inexorably tied to the earth as she.

She had realized at the sight of him that she'd come upon a different place entirely. Strange how their worlds could collide with such ease with only the exchange of a few words. And she'd been too distracted to even remember them. But she didn't think they were important so much as the warning tone had been. Perhaps crows were just a superstitious sort, though.

Her mother had once said that the first languages of their people had been long lost to the annals of time. At the time, Cheska had believed her only because of her youthful indifference to the conversation. But she'd seen many lands now and found many friends. Some spoke other tongues and some spoke not at all. She'd realized that the oldest of languages were not spoken in words. Rather, they were deeper connections and exchanges. They were gazes passed between lovers and the sighs of a new mother and the nudge of hips and shoulders amongst herdmates.

She wanted so badly to speak that language again.

She lifted her head, delicate, one-size-too-small ears flickering just to the east where she could see the first ribbons of sunlight beginning to creep through the trees. The sound of something stirring pulled her concentration, and she picked up her pace, letting her voice fade to silence. Maybe it was a trick of the light, or that two seasons of silence had rendered her absolutely mad without her realization.

She doubted that very much. These were claiming grounds, and the language of seduction, whether physical or political, was one that had always intrigued her. It was intrinsic to every one of them, but different somehow in every exchange. She was inching to relearn that subtle, intricate dance. She was determined to learn the language of this land, and carry it with her like the precious others.

She stopped near a clearing, spattered coat just beginning to glint coppery brown as the sun dappled it. She knew that fate could hardly be relied upon to find her what she needed. So, careful not to sound distressed or otherwise deceptive, she let a quiet nicker slip into the morning mist.

And just like every time before, it was like some new but ancient language was blooming up from within, instinctual and unspeakable.

count] 637
tags] none
ooc] please feel free to not match the length of this, I was having some word-vomit. So excited to meet all of you! <3

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Pain. She was suffering from pain and anguish. She didn't understand how she could be so fine physically yet so completely broken mentally. She was clinging to the past, memories of Rowan flickering across her skull. She had been the one mare who had understood her - even given her a way to start to calm herself down. The counting, the consistent rhythms. It had kept her together, it had kept her from completely shattering. And… Rowan. Rowan was gone.

Rowan was gone and Quilyan was missing. And all she wanted… all she wanted was to hide under Kaj's wing and get told that it would all be okay. But she wasn't sure Kaj wanted to do that anymore. He was busy, he had a larger herd to take care of and she… she was supposed to be the least of his worries. Res shuddered, forcing her limbs forward in quick successions as she shuffled back toward the Threshold. She just wanted something that would keep her mind off of this.

Maybe she would count the butterflies that flew by. No. She'd just count her breaths. It had always worked well that way. One. Two. Three. The sound of chirping birds was beginning to ease her mind. Four. Five. Six. Breathe and move forward. She took in a deep breath and sighed allowing her limbs to continue to carry her frame. Seven. Eight. Nine. A call hit the breeze. A light nicker, barely even audible. Ten. Eleven. Twelve. She shot off, forcing herself to move toward where it was coming from. Was someone injured? Did they need assistance?

Thirteen. Fourteen. Fifteen. Her time as the Moon Doctor had changed her. She was imagining death and injury everywhere. Already, she was running through the motions and trying to think of which herbs were around here that she might be able to use if they were needed.

Sixteen. Seventeen. Eighteen. What she found was not an injured horse, though. At least, the mare before her didn't appear to be. Injured in anyway. Nineteen. Twenty. Twenty-one. She attempted to center herself, bringing Valiance to her poll, she glanced over the mare. "Are you okay? Lost? Can I… Can I assist you at all? she inquired. Twenty-two. Twenty-three. Twenty-four. Her voice quiet, gentle, but nervous. She wasn't always able to stay calm when she was around others but she would try. She would be strong and prove to Kaj and Kahlua and everyone that she wasn't as useless as they thought she was.

Welcome!
Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
She cut a path through the dense timber just to the south of the frothing, white waterfall; the marvellously concealed entrance to Hidden Falls which still intimidated her feeble soul terribly and defied all natural need to heed the cascading fury. Chipped hooves stepped with renewed grace and care, vigilantly straddling grassy tussocks along the way so that her direction could not so easily be traced - even if the soft, feminine fragrance of her presence lingered long after she had passed.

Emelda the Dreamweaver had instilled deference and obedience in her daughter, a tender-heartedness that had weathered well the earliest years of the child’s life; in fact, right up until her very first venture through the very forest whose gnarled shadows cloaked this latest wandering. Over time, the sinful and often spiteful existence of Helovian culture had eroded much of that early impression, the purity and naïveté; and where once a child of light and liberty had played frivolously and obliviously, a creature that had been broken and burned emerged – a shadow of the life which had been.

...Slowly though, that spirit the had been lost beneath grief and suffering was clawing back to the surface.

It was an adventure leaving the Falls without Rasta’s company. Through recent days her blind sister had become a pillar of strength and unwavering support, and Africa had steadied well by her nurturing side after the most heart wrenching end to the bond of first love. Of course Silas sailed swiftly through the canopy above, hardly willing to let her strike out alone; gliding and swinging between threads of new dawn light, though never straying far enough to lose sight of the dappled mare as she roamed through the mist veiling the forest floor.

A waking chorus lifted joyfully to welcome the morning and Africa was startled to a standstill, long black-tipped ears swinging tentatively all the while.

Though many trips had been made of late through the ancient woodland, both she and her guardian were more than aware of the danger lurking still at large – a murderer Midas had warned, and it seemed that the villain was yet to quench his thirst for spilled blood. It was for this reason she took such care to remain hidden, to move without sound and leave no evidence of her passing; with a tendency to attract tragedy, she felt due diligence on her part was a necessity.

A gentle nicker lifted through the songbird’s tune, and for a moment longer the Starry-Eyed hesitated to listen; to look with ever widening eyes through the sprawling mist and receding shadow for any other who might have been lingering nearby. Dull dappled pelt quivered nervously, as she wavered in place, but at the touch of her bonded’s reassuring grasp that tension soothed a little. I thought I heard someone, she whispered alone to him, and Silas nodded above ruffling feathers. You did...

Moments later a voice, quiet, but dissimilar to the first attracted her frantic ear, and cautiously she turned west through the forest to find the source. It took little time to find the two mares, and one it turned out was well-known to her; enough to rouse a sigh of relief from clenched lungs. Resplendence... The small, pale Edge mare was standing near to another, a stranger, and Africa blew softly through flaring nostrils as she approached. Lean legs slid alongside her herbalist friend, yet there was a pregnant silence about them, she thought, and the one-winged could not help but bow her head aside passively.

Image | Table by Silk

Hidden Account
Ducky
Cheska had thought with full conviction that if there was no answer to her call that she would carry on as she always had before. But the sound of hooves struck her like a waterfall into a stagnant puddle. All at once, the dormant sediment of fear and excitement and reticence came clouding up into her mind again. A breath that she hadn't realized she was holding came rushing from her lungs in a great sigh of relief. She was not alone here. She would not have to continue like a ghost, passing through the world without really touching it. She took a long moment to let the storm ease inside of her until it settled as a buzz of electric nerves in her hooves.

She struggled for a moment to decide how she was supposed to present herself, squaring her hooves and lifting her head high like her warrior father, then low like her gentle mother, tried to look cheerful like her sister. What was it that would be valued here? She didn’t have cunning or any particular beauty. She had her stories and her resolve, and she had her integrity. She might as well be honest. So she arched her neck, poll steady, cocking her hips into some posture more comfortable. More Cheska, she decided.

She momentarily tried to contain a smile at the appearance of the mare, but her lips pulled against her nonetheless.

It took a moment for her to process the light mare's words, much less formulate her own, and in the meantime she was left slightly flustered. "I-I'm fine," she cooed with a barely contained laugh. Settle down there, tiger. Got kind of a serial killer vibe going here. Sarcasm prevailed in dulling the sharp edges of her excitement, and she took a breath. "I mean… I guess you can't be lost if you don't know where you're headed. I was just hoping for some company," she continued in her natural lilt. "It's been a long time since I've-"

Her attention was drawn by a rustling accompanied by the appearance of a new mare beside the first. Instinctually, she nodded a firm greeting, sending her forelock flopping across the opposite eye.

Standing so near, she was struck by how beautiful and delicate the two of them were, and though she'd long outgrown petty jealousy, she felt particularly large and ungainly by comparison. She was suddenly aware of every tiny mar of her coat and tangle of her mane. But before the wave of self-consciousness could crash down over her, she stopped. The first was without an ear, the second without one wing. Guess we've all got our scars, huh? She took a deliberate moment to offer a grateful smile to each of the two who'd come to her call... or was it three?

She squinted towards the first mare, finally picking out the red shape between her ears. "I think you have a hitchhiker," she observed bluntly, gesturing to the mare's poll. "Oh! I'm Cheska, by the way."

ooc] Actual crush on both of these ladies. ;_;
Table to come

Resplendence

What number was she on? Did it matter? Honestly she had stopped breathing for a moment when the other mare just stood there, hips cocked and neck arched but no words. It was Valiance who tried to remind Resplendence to breathe. "Twenty-five." he said and Res instantly released the air she had been holding just as the other mare began to speak.

Okay, good. She was fine, but the laughter… Res couldn't quite figure out the laughter. Was the mare laughing at Res, at the situation, or at herself? She really hoped it was just at the situation and not Resplendence but, there was little that she could actually do to confirm this. Alas, the mare started to speak again talking about how she didn't know where she was headed, just that she was looking for company - that it had been a long time since, well since Res assumed she'd been around other equines.

Still, another mare appeared. One that I recalled to go by the name of Africa and had been a part of the Throat - though she lacked the smell of sand and sweat that seemed to linger across those who resided there. Africa did not speak, simply took her place beside Res who inched in closer to gain support for herself, and offer it for the dappled mare beside her. Then, Valiance settled carefully atop her poll and stared directly at the other mare as she spoke. A hitchhiker? A snort of dislike came from his mouth at that term before he spread his wings in a show of flair. Cheska, the mare's name was Cheska. And so, she allowed herself to speak once more. "Resplendence and this is Valiance, he's my companion." Resplendence explained. "How long have you been travelling? I can offer a place to stay, a home of sorts if you need to rest." she said, stumbling over definitions. God, it had been too long since she had tried to recruit? Why did she even think that this would be a good idea?

Swallowing once, she turned to Africa to reset herself. "And how are you, darling?" she inquired, trying to take a good look over her and ensure that there were no new injuries to the mare that she knew was kind.

Always the doctor. Res would always be the doctor.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
It seemed like the suddenness of her intrusion had been received well enough. The unfamiliar roan keeping company with Resplendence offered a nonchalant enough nod, and it spurred a soft smile to rise through and above the painfully passive nature of her arrival. One pale, golden eye glistened as her slim ashen face lifted again into the sunlight to join their conversation, heavy flaming forelock draped down across the other, and blinking nostrils expelled a gentle sigh. Africa had become so withdrawn lately.

It was becoming more and more apparent that she was a magnet for heartache, a sprite spreading plagues of grief wherever she stepped, and it grated terribly on her confidence. So too had she become alarmingly aware of her vulnerabilities, and though Silas was a faithful and constant guardian beside her, the one-winged mare could not help the fluttering awakening of nervous apprehension as she stood like the brightest beacon in the unpredictable Threshold forest.

The flames licking playfully throughout the grey tendrils of her mane, and those also trailing with the length of her tail, were just another scar to remind her of the countless mistakes in her past.

Attention turned abruptly to the little dragon perched atop the clay-bank dun’s poll, and his shining, scaled body seemed to expand visibly, indignantly. Africa had seen many of his kind through the years and true to her experience, the little reptile’s spirit was hardly feeble. Resplendence introduced herself in turn, and revealed that Valiance was her companion. Her pale face nodded quietly, before lips parted around a most humble introduction. “This is Silas, and I’m Africa.” She motioned towards the watching zephyr who still perched upon her rump, before the palest of their meeting began again to speak – lastly to the grey.

Without hesitation, the Starry-Eyed answered thoughtfully. “Well enough, Res. Thank you, it has been so long since our last conversation – you were building a garden I think, or a shed?” It hardly mattered and a billowy chortled rumbled through her chest. “She is quite the green thumb, Cheska.” Brightening eyes wandered back towards the other mare, and her skull tilted a little to better view her (forelock slipping still further back). “Resplendence has travelled from the West, World’s Edge, and I from Hidden Falls just to the north. Our families are on fond terms.” She motioned unconsciously around them to signal the directions of each region in case of any lingering doubt.

“If you are weary, you are welcome to return with me to the Falls. It isn’t so far.” By no means was she trying to undercut the one-eared mare – the art of seduction was something she was quite unfamiliar with (although there seemed to be no end to coveting stallion’s willing to pledge their love...). The shell which had cloaked her so securely was slowly crumbling and the softly spoken creature beneath was both benevolent and humble.

Image | Table by Silk

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska
I will be your shield when you are a soldier

Cheska tried not to widen her eyes too quickly at the sight of dragon wings. She tried not to picture herself stumbling out of her ordinary life, down the rabbit hole and into a fairy tale. She tried not to let the nervous squeak claw its way out from somewhere deep in her throat. She successfully managed to bite her tongue, but her hooves still shuffled fretfully. Merciful gods, that there is a real live dragon. She didn't think he looked large enough to eat her, but what did she know of dragons? Perhaps he could unhinge his jaw and swallow her whole. For all her talk, for all the nights she stayed awake to whisper stories of majestic reptiles to the filly between her knees, what did she really know of dragons?

Apparently, she knew that they were real. As were zephyrs. A pair of impossible beasts, and here they were before her.

Rather than stand gaping while she wrestled with the reality of her suddenly topsy-turvy existence, she accepted and filed this information as fact. So the dragons of fable were real, and this one's name happened to be Valiance. And the mythical zephyr was not so mythical, and this one was called Silas. Perhaps Cheska also should have mentioned to the soft gray mare that she happened to be on fire, but she seemed unbothered by it. This, too, she absorbed with little ado. What a strange, wonderful place she'd dreamed up. What beautiful, exotic creatures inhabited it.

She silently memorized each name one by one to hoard like little pearls. Resplendence. Valiance. Africa. Silas. She let them roll around her brain for a moment while she listened to the mares exchange greeting. She was pleased to be the third wheel for a moment, to watch as the awkward tension between strangers slipped into something a little more comfortable, something more familiar.

At Africa's words, she joined the conversation again. "I have always admired the botanically gifted," she chirped sincerely. "Givin life is always a commendable pursuit." More than taking it, anyway. She'd never had much mind for plants other than which ones tasted best, but then again, her head was more often in the clouds than the dirt, probably to her detriment.

She noted the directions, and the offers. She could choose, she supposed, one or the other, but the idea of closing one door to open another grated on her very nature. Resplendence could teach her of the plants she'd been disregarding. Africa could perhaps answer some of those questions she'd intended to ask her crow. She remembered words that had been seared into her heart many years ago. "You're both very generous to offer sanctuary to a stranger. I would take you both up on your offer to see both of your lands, if you'd be kind enough." She frowned, more to herself than anyone, struggling to articulate the sentiment. She continued haltingly. "I was once told that loyalty too easily given is no loyalty worth having. If you'd be so kind to take me in for a night, I would very much like to prove myself... decide my loyalty... to both your families."

She braced herself. She'd gladly sacrifice whatever influence her wandering status could afford her to supplicate for their time, their knowledge, and their friendship... unless it got her eaten by a dragon.

count] 562
tags] none
ooc] bleh.

Resplendence

It was weird for her, you see, to be placed into the spotlight. The way that Africa seemed to boost the work that she had been doing in the garden as if she were in admiration. And, even though Resplendence wasn't quite sure why the grey, one-winged mare had that admiration she would at least take it for the moment. Africa spoke of the garden, and her green thumb before explaining where the two mares had come from. "Yes, I was working on a garden, also trying to get a greenhouse up. Though… I guess our crafters have been busy as of late. And thank you - it is possible to learn…" she explained, Valiance clicking in agreement with her words in hope of encouraging the mare before them who also seemed to have admiration for the pale mare.

Alas, the conversation shifted once more as Africa offered to have the other mare follow her back to the Falls if she was weary. Yea. Everyone always attempted to grab others here, and Res knew that. But she wasn't doing it for the numbers - no she was doing it because she cared. And, she knew that Africa's reasoning was probably the same when it came to that. At least they both cared.

The appaloosa mare before them seemed to be taking all of them in, studying their movements and notions. And, it is only once she seems to settle in that she spoke. Saying that there was generosity and that loyalty earned was better. "If Africa is fine with it we can go to the Falls first - it's closer and allows for time to rest," Resplendence explained before nodding her head, "Though it would be an honour to be considered in your choice for a home. Africa, what do you say?"

Hopefully the mare wouldn't be too exhausted for the trek and that she would make it to whichever herdland in one piece.

so sorry for the wait!

When I'm ready to fall
With love