the Rift

[EDGE] A Hopeful Transmission

Maat Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
They fluttered above the treelines and between the foliage and they slunk around the branches, hiding in bird nests and holes in the bark and she had to catch them, she had to keep up. Winded though she maybe was she could not stop as the world became narrower and she had to dodge the wood; falling behind was not an option, a racing mind and empty lungs only pushing her legs further on and she did not care where they took her, she had to track them down, she could not lose them. Those things that stole from her, the creatures without faces, mere shadows, always shifting and never staying still--she knew she needed to get back whatever they took, for time and travel was wearing on her because even birds needed to rest their wings and the hunted could not run forever. She was neither avian nor a target but that would not settle the urgency residing in her one-track mind or cease the sinews beneath her skin that carried her much further than she could pay attention to. Reykjavik was but a word then, no longer a place she used to be in, the stallion who tried to wriggle his way through her curved bones a name she couldn't remember. They were just trivialities when the faceless beings moved on again, and she with them.

Long had been the distance since her last rest and she was falling behind. Only glimpses of the creatures could be seen then; she was lagging, getting tangled in the underbrush she could not afford to look for, her face ever skyward toward the shadows disappearing above. Footfalls were swift but could not amount to the pace at which they traversed the canopy, spotting them turning fruitful. Breath refused to make home again in her chest until she slowed and though her body fought to keep her in motion, to find them, to take back what was hers, she relinquished her hold and let her resolve dwindle long enough to resume her search once her pulse quieted.

count: 345
tagged:
ooc: those "things" referred to are just part of her imagination and not real creatures :3

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
She had tried time and time again to find activities that filled her with joy, that could chase away her troubles when they arose, and that could sooth her world-weary soul. Yet, for all the hobbies that she had found, none ever managed to make her feel as good as when she went to the Threshold. She had met a lot of faces here that had come and gone- horses she had called friend and family- but all the heartache of losing these friends when they inevitably wandered back off again was more than made up for by those that actually stayed. Therefore, it was not unusual that the painted woman, when her heart was broken by what she had seen on the floating island, ran to the Threshold first, instead of her home in the Edge.

Tears wetted her face as she entered the forest, running with a similar fervor (though opposite direction) of the gray mare Maat. Maat was chasing demons; Kahlua, running from them. She had seen Mauja, one she had dared to call friend, with a dead body at his hooves. Was he guilty? She couldn’t imagine a world where he wasn’t. He had killed before, admitted it to her even; he could kill again… and he had.

But running forever could not save her and her unexercised muscles grew weary from fighting to hurtle her body through mud. She slowed, chest heaving outward and inward as her lungs tried to capture oxygen and push it into her arteries. Her muscles ached, lactate burning their fibers, and she almost collapsed onto the ground into a new fit of tears… until she saw Maat. With her own body sweaty, her eyes still red, and her mouth still dry, the Sunshower approached. “Running away from your problems?” she said through heaving breaths, her blue eyes sparkling but only because of the moisture that lingered. “Me too.” She sighed, looking down to her hooves, closing her eyes as images of Mauja flashed through her brain.

She was saved from the horror only by the arrival of Khan, who flitted through the trees to settle upon her back, claws digging into flesh, making her wince with the pain. At least the playful dragon seemed subdued for the moment. Perhaps he felt his bonded’s pain.
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered
She had run into the day knowing she would follow the ghosts anywhere, eyes never drifting to the land as it melded into new terrain for she could not let go of what she sought to retrieve, could not let them get away again yet she found herself back to the beginning without an idea of where they went, and when she then had nothing to chase the world once blurred began to shift into her focus and everything ebbed to a calm.

Easing its way through her system the air settled once again to press itself tightly against her lungs as her body tried to return to its normal rhythm. It was clean there, wherever she found herself, a lightness to enchant the atmosphere in ways she can't remember having seen. Perhaps crisp would be too kind a word to describe it, but little time was able to be given to search for proper words--movement nearby caught her fluttering attention. Muscles tensed in their bounds in preparation for another flight until only another mare was spotted as the cause. Dropping her stance before her, Maat would wait to continue her chase long enough to find the reason for the other's approach. Little could there be expected from one who just passed under the opening of the woods; nothing to offer would send the paint away.

Nearing, closer the other went, and in much the same condition Maat was in. She wondered if she too sought out something taken from her, a victim just as the wayward who could not love. Yet when she spoke it was not of travelling toward, but away from whatever consumed her thoughts. The mention of running from problems set Maat on edge once more, knowing she would keep losing distance the longer she stayed. The wetness of her eyes and arrival of a dragon was hardly acknowledged as her mind began to ruffle its feathers with the thought of the faceless creatures, and she would have been put to motion if not for the girl who seemed so distraught. "My problems are what I am after, not leaving behind me." Empty words rattled through the cages of her lips, broken things for a cracked soul. "Have you by chance seen the ghosts I seek? They took something of mine but I'm not sure where they went and I don't know where I ended up."

Anxious glances shot to the treetops and bundling nerves gathered, she needed to go, she needed to find them, she was astray and she lost them and she didn't know if they would vanish this time to a place she could not find, she was wasting time, she had to move. What was so tightly knit moments ago was coming undone and it was a physical change anyone could detect; Maat was unsteady with the thought of the thieves and the pull to leave but she didn't know where they could have gone in the vastness of a place she had no knowledge of.

count: 421
tagged:
ooc: thank you for replying! i know maat is a bit difficult sometimes haha

Homeostasis. The Sunshower sometimes thought she reached such a plane- changes for the better happening at an equal pace with changes for the worse. A steady state, where nothing changed. But there was no peace for her, no homeostasis, no steadiness, when the entire universe was always trending towards chaos- entropy. She ached for normalcy, for a day when she did not have to worry about which direction was north and if her heart needed to be turned east or west to avoid any pain. She longed for respite, sleep that was not plagued with nightmares, a herd that did not depend on her, a peaceful Helovia that did not require a champion. But what she longed for was not reality.

And so it was the entropy once again struck, reaching its black hand into the queen’s life, as Maat answered her statement. Kahlua had only been trying to make a friend- attempting to find common ground upon which she and this newcomer could bond- but it seemed that she had guessed incorrectly. In fact, so strange was the mare’s reply, that Kahlua couldn’t help but furrow her brow, the only blessing of her confusion being that she could forget Mauja for a little while longer. She was chasing her problems? But… but why on earth? Kahlua shook her head. Of course, a coward could never understand such a noble pursuit, and coward was stamped all over her.

It was obvious even at the mention of the word ghost, at which Kahlua visibly flinched, a memory quite different from Mauja’s murderous tendencies returning to her. It was a memory of a time when she had been turned to a monster, her head made vile, her heart made black. She had wanted to ruin, consume, destroy her friends; she had wanted to turn them to the blackness that she had followed. She had been evil, terrible, a monstress disguised by a pretty face and she tried so hard to forget that memory. It was a shame, then, that she was so often reminded.

Still, it was not her demons that this newcomer was asking about. “I haven’t seen any ghosts,” she admitted when a sigh, blinking a few times to try and clear her eyes of the tears that rested there. “I try not to.” And she frowned, because she didn’t know what to do. She would usually off her help, but she was not brave enough to go ghost chasing and she wasn’t smart enough to know where ghosts would go. She was useless in this situation, and so she shifted uncomfortably, Khan cawing softly on her back but being equally unhelpful.

However, Kahlua was certain that if she could not help look for ghosts, she could at least help look for items. The continued distraction would be welcome anyways. “What did you lose? Maybe Khan and I can help find it… We know Helovia pretty well…” She trailed off, wondering if this other would even want help. It seemed so strange to go chasing after your problems, Kahlua wasn’t even sure where to start with it. So preoccupied was she with considering it, that she hardly noticed the anxious glances Maat gave to the trees and skies.

OOC| No problem at all! I like her already, she seems very interesting!!
Image Credit

Unregistered
She could not afford to sit still and let the sun fall from the sky as she sat by to contemplate how life would be if she were only whole, if she could only connect the puzzle, if the world didn't swallow her first to pull the waves over her head, to drown beneath dysfunctionality, to forever let those things keep what they took; what would she be once she was put back together, when she found them, the stitching to mend the torn seams of her mind, would she be like them who could give their heart to others in a fashion she didn't understand?

Something like unease traced its fingers across the delicate features of the mare she didn't know. While Maat was dusty floorboards that creaked underfoot, she was the flashlight that tried to bleed out the dark. Though unnerved as the grulla stood, a moment passed that allowed her attention to flick back to the then, to the two of them and a dragon. Every bone told her to run but she knew better when she couldn't know where to go. The search had to start anew and perhaps another for company could help spot those wretched ghouls. Anything to find them--she had to.
A brave soul did not reside in the skeleton of Maat, but perhaps it was a relative thing; she would not view it as searching for something that frightened her, rather for answers and to know the truth of herself. What the other wanted was to forget it all completely, to leave the pain burning at the stake. That was not a matter of gallantry, but a desire to begin again. If Maat could retrace the path left in hoofprints of the past she would have stayed in the safety of Reykjavik and let the boy be her guide. She was haunted by those she chased, however, and she never felt the connection that would have convinced her to stay. Ever reminded that she was a mere part and not the entire piece; a coward she could be called too for she ran when things didn't make sense.

Steel gaze resting lightly on the girl, the slight movement in response to Maat's own words did not slip by. Time lost to them had done something to her that the loveless wasn't sure she wanted to know. She let it dissipate with the other's letters after they knocked against the air, frustration almost climbing its way into her structure. The creatures got away but she would find them just as she had throughout her childhood.
The mare's inquiry was like a sting that buried deep into her skin, a burn that remained long after the flames died, an itch that arose from sleep. She didn't know. The thing taken from her, whatever she didn't have, there wasn't a name to put to it. "I lost nothing. They stole it from me." Brow furrowed, strained concentration laced itself within the details of her face but she only resurfaced with dust. "I know finding them is the only way to make it right." Whatever "it" was, she didn't offer any elaboration.

Maat could recognize that kindness was being given to her, yet the reasoning she didn't know. "If you could guide me, I would be humbly grateful. Where they went I don't know, but we can start at whatever place you are hiding from." A wink would have been sent to the mare's direction if Maat had some sense of humor. For if she was avoiding somewhere, the ghosts could be drawing them back to it. "Maat, by the way," when she finally remembered how to make a formal introduction. When her head wasn't caught above the treelines she knew how to be proper. She waited for the other to make the first move, unsure of which way she would be led. As a passing thought, "He is a very nice dragon."

count: 657
tagged:
ooc:
sx2@dA

How many other monsters haunted the painted woman’s past? How many ghosts did she hide in closets, lock in trunks, bury in the ground? Kahlua’s life was not especially long, but many things had happened to her fragile soul. It was not just when she was a monster, but when she had come across monsters. Aurelia and Shilva- monsters because she could not forget the way the scaled creature had flown through the air, landing lifelessly upon dusty ground, a death brought about by her own hooves and Aurelia’s reckless abandon. Her parents- monsters because of the cruel lifestyle that had brought her to believe was normal, and because of the neglect they had taught her to believe was right. Kaj- a monster…

No… She could not call him a monster. All he had ever done was make her fall in love with him. How was he supposed to know?

Was it fair to blame him for the way that his wing fit perfectly over her back? Was it fair to blame him for the way that, when her blue eyes met his, her heart felt lighter and her soul felt safe? Was it fair to blame him for wanting a family, loyalty and eternity, when all she knew was flightiness? Was it fair to blame him for desiring foals, when all she knew of newborns was chains and prisons, of broken dreams and dashed desires? It wasn’t fair at all, so in that case, she could not really call him a monster. In that case, the only monster that really existed was her. After all, she was the one that had broken his heart too many times to count. How many more times would it take?

She didn’t have time to think or count (perhaps it was better that way) because Maat started speaking again- a philosophical sort of speech that Kahlua hardly knew how to respond to. She had lost nothing? Then how had they stolen? Her brow furrowed, trying to sort through the muddy words, wondering if she had missed something because of her own introspective thoughts. And finding the ghosts to make things right… had that ever worked? She had found Mauja, a ghost in his own right, and what good had come of it? Nothing. Just hurt and death. It was the way of the world.

“I don’t know where I’m hiding from,” she admitted at last, seemingly as confused as Maat, though she had her own reasons for not knowing. Mauja was an outcast, a rover, a wanderer, with no home to call his own. Wherever he was at, that was the place she was hiding from him. At least not knowing meant she didn’t have to take Maat there. She was not ready to face him, not ready to ask him what blood stained his hooves now. If he wanted to explain, he would have to find her own his own. And even then… she wasn’t sure she wanted to know what he had to say.

“I guess we could start where I live, though, in the World’s Edge. I’m Kahlua, that’s Khan,” she said, her words growing stronger the longer she talked, and the longer she allowed her tears to dry. Angling her body northwest, she started moving. “I don’t know how long it will take to find… what you’re looking for, exactly. But you could stay with us, if you wanted, until you do.” She didn’t know this mare well at all, but it was clear that she was troubled, and the queen would not turn her away. She understood well the need for a sense of stability when the rest of the world seemed to be crumbling.
Image Credit

Unregistered
What if searching for the creatures alone would prove more profitable, what if letting the other lead was a mistake, what if she would swell up with the urge to leave all she was coming to know behind just as she had each time before, and the world would swallow her whole to bring her to a fresh place even though she had just arrived to one, would those things make her abandon another land where she was finding a corner to settle into, another equine who would take her in to keep her mind from shredding its edges as the stallion had done? But no, she could not move away from one who also suffered tragedies that showed different symptoms, she would not allow solitude to hold its claim over her again, not when another would put her before herself, not when she wasn't bathed in the moon's glow but graced with the sun's touch this time, when she might have had a chance this time, maybe this would be her time.

Understanding of Kahlua's troubles would never be something for Maat to come by, never an idea she would be able to grasp. The entire concept of love seemed to have been wiped from her existence, the simple vocabulary a word she didn't know. Yet it could not be something taught, for her parents loved her well enough and perhaps even that stallion did too but it was all wasted on her. She could not return the favor and experienced proved it was not possible to instill in her.
That was why she hunted those ghosts however, for she could feel the immobile hand on her clock while the remaining two ticked on. She felt rooted even though she was never still. The bewilderment upon the other was clear when she spoke her sentiment, but she couldn't explain herself any further--she knew she couldn't lose anything she didn't own from the start. She was helpless to give the mare any sense of relief.

A slight nod in acceptance displaced the bald face; it was dawning on her that things with this paint were more complicated than they originally appeared. She knew not of even to whom she spoke, wasn't aware that she was in the presence of a leading figure. Yet their simple interactions told her the girl was no different from the rest and it snuffed out Maat's sense of desperation long enough to almost make her forget her purpose. "That sounds like an acceptable compromise, I am indebted to your kindness," and perhaps the faintest trace of a smile drew her lips upward.
With names to memorize now, she had something to preoccupy her quivering attention while waiting for the ghosts to make themselves seen one more. Kahlua's land seemed almost ironic to her--the place she would make a nest in--as on edge was the only thing she knew how to be. But if things really were different this time, maybe that would change too. It was with ambling limbs that Maat followed alongside, tranquil for once in her world of chaos. She wasn't sure if mindless chatter was what the paint preferred, or to listen to the lyrics nature spoke to them. She thought of taking a chance, though, if only to figure out the ways of the one who found her. "Your troubles can't be run from. They are faster and only wear upon your heart," though it was soft spoken, not chiding, as if she were talking about her own experiences.

count: 588
tagged:
ooc: this can go at whatever pace/place you'd like from here! <333
sx2@dA