the Rift

[OPEN] here's my dilemma

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
I will be your shield when you are a soldier

For all the newness of sand, the ocean was a familiar figure to Cheska. She knew a story of a herd built on the great outcroppings of a cliff overlooking the raging seas. She'd heard accounts of a sad old stallion who'd drowned himself for want of a lost love. In the oldest stories, there was talk that the ocean had predated even the gods. Ocean was a great warrior queen and from her depths she bought forth the earth and all the creatures that lived on it. In this, Cheska had always admired her. Ocean was stormy and strong, with powerful waves and dark skies, but she was also gentle, her shallows warm and inviting and her bounty generous. Even as they approached, the mare appealed to her gentler aspect. Be still today. One of your daughters is in need.

She was careful to eye for any treacherous rocks lurking before them, but she was pleased by how the filly weathered the breakers. As the wave ebbed away, she examined the wound again, but this time the little one's tears drew her attention. "Now, don't you worry, that's just the ocean kissin it better," she cooed. She lipped at the filly's mane with all the automatic reaction of a mother. "You know, some folks say that the very first pegasus was fashioned from the ocean, sprung from the surf, with great big white wings made of mist. And unicorns were carved from ice in the high mountains. The ocean's just like… like your gran welcoming you back." Still, she bore the filly's weight carefully, letting the crocodile tears come as they may. It was a child's prerogative to cry, a luxury that became scarcer and scarcer as time wore on.

Rather, she listened with intent as the filly gave her emergency contact. She nearly laughed, but she knew the clutch of distress as well as any. Fear and insecurity were powerful seeds that could strangle even the greatest warriors. And to feel that insecurity about family was a mightier blow than any wave could deliver. This alone wiped the humor from her face. "If you died of pain, Auriel from the Hidden Falls, I bet your sister would be the first one snatchin you out of the Death God's jaws," she said firmly, as if she knew it to be true. "Believe when I say there ain't a whole lot of forces in this world fiercer than love between sisters."

Warmth seeped into her chest at the memory of her own sister. Maera was only a season younger, but she recalled how delicate and fragile and lovely the filly had looked, and how all at once something inside of her had combusted. Some love deeper and more ferocious than any magic had swallowed her, and she knew that she would love that child until death itself tore them apart. She still felt it, even now, accompanied by a dull ache of defeat. But that was a story for another time.

Now she bumped the filly gently, a bit of mischief sneaking back into her expression as she brushed the last granules away with the side of her muzzle. "Don't cry now. You've got all the deep of the ocean and all the strong of the ice in you. Not to mention a family that loves you. That's a lot more than most folks get." She lowered her head to find Auriel's gaze. "Feelin any better?"

count] 576
tags] @[Auriel]
ooc]

◊ please tag Cheska in all posts
◊ full permission is granted for minor powerplays including
touching, placement and superficial injury

Messages In This Thread
here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Cheska - 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 01-20-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Cheska - 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM