the Rift

[OPEN] here's my dilemma

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
I will be your shield when you are a soldier

There was nothing in Cheska's world quite as valuable as the gift of being needed. She'd thrived on the dependence of her sister, her herd and her daughter. Their wellbeing was as vital to her as the air she breathed. Without them, she was useless. So over the course of her years, she'd learned to square her legs, grit her teeth and gladly bear the weight of her friends, sometimes in a more literal sense than others. The good ones would share her burdens in kind. For this reason, there was welcome familiarity to Auriel's warm weight pressed against her. If she'd been a more honest mare, she'd admit to herself that she found even more comfort in the press of flesh than her company did. Instead, she let the little huff of laughter escape as the filly nestled closer. Even as the waves of early birdsong chilled her, there was warmth to be had.

"Couple miles east of here, you can't throw a rock without hittin one of my sisters," she interjected, mock exasperation in her tone. They were half-sisters, but it probably wasn't her place to explain her testosterone-fueled father's delicate art of "stickin it in anything that stood still long enough." Probably not. Peregrine's daughters and mares were knit more tightly by their loathing of him than by any actual blood relation, but most days they were as much a family as any definition of the word could imply. Her sisters had been many, and each special in her way, but Auriel's question didn't conjure her memories of Cassara or Fenrin. She thought only of Maera. She tried to shake the memory to pay attention to the present.

What if she lets me die because she doesn't want me? She thought about the question for all of half a second before she heard the answer come tumbling out of her mouth accompanied by a conspiratorial note. "Let me get this straight. You came all the way out here on your own, right? No parents, no sister, nobody to protect you? I don't think anybody but you is decidin whether you live or die, Miss Auriel.

"And anyway... sisters were made for fightin and lovin."
In hindsight, her bickering sessions with Maera seemed fairly ridiculous, but the fights were even more important. She'd never had a fight with anyone she didn't care about. She continued wistfully, one foot in the past and one in the present. "I had a sister named Maera and we fought. A lot. All the time. Got angry and yelled and kicked each other all over pasture. We didn't always like each other, but we loved each other somethin awful. We looked out for each other for a long time." She nudged the filly ever so gently, not enough to knock her away, but enough to make a point. "Lovin somebody means you count on them and you care about them more than yourself." She twisted to come nose to nose with her small friend. "Like's a puddle. Like dries up. Love's deeper than oceans."

She let it sit while Auriel asked her questions. Kids always had questions, and in Cheska's opinion, curiosity (wrongfully accused for many years of killing the cat) was in fact the greatest of virtues. When she was finished, the older girl bumped their noses gently together. "Name's Cheska," she drawled cheerfully, "but my ma always said she shoulda named me Chatterbox. Sorry bout that." She chuckled softly, but carried on talking all the same.

"Anyway… some say my kind came from the mud, but I'm not a real big fan of that one. I like the story that says we came from the rain. The story goes that the first horses were made by Earth God when he created the first rainfall. Big drops hit the earth and turned into strong brown horses and others were light showers that fell on the sand and turned into delicate golden horses. Some fell into the stream and turned silver and others speckled. Some froze as they fell and grew thicker fur and whiter coats. That's why my kind has always remained colors of earth."

She finished with a bit of a tired tongue. "Or so I've been told." She kicked up a bit of water with her fore, watching it splash down. "Say, I was gonna go explore. Maybe scare up a few more of those claw-y thingers. Want to walk off your battle wound with me?"

count] 746
tags] @[Auriel]
ooc] Unexpected LT aspirations: Cheska the Mom-Friend and Cheska the Chatterbox :P

Messages In This Thread
here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Cheska - 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 01-20-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Cheska - 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Cheska - 01-30-2015, 05:47 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Auriel - 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: here's my dilemma - by Cheska - 02-07-2015, 10:06 PM