the Rift

wide open blank in the dark.

Peixos Posts: 18
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 Hands :: 4 Years Old
Tay
peixos
and there is no time like the present to drink these draining seconds

'Never feel with that impulse in your brain, Raimo. It defeats us all like mesmerizing stars and beautifying bodies...'

The stars are rather weak, tucked into their cozy black blanket only their heads exposed shining and bald, like deceased Spartan boys. A light, perhaps dawn's light, is emerging from the eastern side of the world behind him, a tawny candle ray that pierces the blackness and casts a blue glow in the sparse forest. The light's fragile arms stroke the backside of Peixos and cast an iridescent sheen on his content blue. Both eyes, mocha and royal scale the landscape with eager intentions. Pale forelegs step with bulky grace as the dark hinds follow through with energetic yet cautious strides. The world is calm, so is he. The pair both inhale the scents of familiar races, perhaps descendents of those who perished in the shade take-over. 'Like Aërwen,' Raimo adds in softly, gently as if not to truly arouse unsettled emotions. They come anyway.

'Don't say that,' the pale boy's mind-voice is snappy with a defensive rasp. 'The shadows consumed her dragon's fire as if it were air. They consumed her as if she were a blade of Eterna's grass,' Raimo stiffens upon his high withers. 'They consumed all of us as if we were grass.' Peixos' head slightly drooped as the images flooded his brain and took over that adolescent anger. He paused in his step, it was forgotten, yielding to the passing onslaught of images. Red eyes bit like ticks in his soul. Pain crawled like red spiders along his growing hairs.

'I'd appreciate it if you didn't bring her up again.'

It was silent between the two for a while. Thoughts still screamed like innocent children, and Raimo could only try to balance upon Peixos' jolty walk. While the stallion's eyes were only fixed on the dirt, the blue's royal eyes remained settled on the mountainous figures ahead.

"Are there any from Anarore still left?"

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
As it turned out, there was. She moved slowly into the Threshold. It would be one of the last trips here she would make before her belly became fully round with the child growing within. Her steps were careful and delibrate. The night sky over head was soon changed to the tops of trees. Slowly she wandered over tree roots and the decaying fallen trees. It wasn't long until the fem almost regretted making the trip. Even in the cooler weather of OrangeMoon, the gold and ivory mare was working up a sweat. Hazel eyes looked around for others, any movement of any kind.

It was then she spotted him. He seemed almost like he had frozen in his steps, the dragon he was bonded to sitting on his back. As he started to move again, he moved like one tired of travel.... of sights unseen. It had been months before that she and many others had fled Isilme looking just like that. She curiously picked up her pace to catch up to the stallion before speaking. "Your from Anarore aren't you." It was not a question, but a statement. There was something about him so familer, but Solstice couldn't quiet figure it out....

Hidden Account
Tay
peixos

As the stars were slowly covered by peachy dawn, Peixos had found himself inhaling the forest's familiar smells. This place was like the old Gateway. The place where he'd found himself roaming endlessly as a colt, seeking refuge from his domineering mother. This place was dull as all hell for all, but a thrill-filled haven for ones of a darker enlightenment. He remembered whispers falling from his inky muzzle - not whispers but prayers. Prayers to Neique for all of the wickedness in war that fell like lit ashes from the flame-licked palms of the Tides. And indeed the Tides did fall. It was a hell of a long way down.

Raimo silently pushes an image of gold and white atop the fuzzy memories in Peixos' mind, a subtle reminder that he is not free yet to let thoughts evoke such long winded emotions. They were still easy variables in a new world like this, and it wouldn't take but a tendril of magic to collect these two souls unguarded. Raimo would often lose himself in Pei's memories, watching the vivid stories unfold - but his feeling was to protect, and even if it did mean to miss some of the stallion's passionate past life, he would do it. But smelt in the brief carriage of wind a mare called Solstice.

'Solstice,' The blue spoke into the grey stallion's head.'She was of Anarore and Isilme. Remember, she was Ataraxia's mate?' A dark ear tips to his left to catch a smooth feminine voice. His eyes follow and grace her slightly pert bodice. He mentions to Raimo she may be expecting. The dragon takes to the skies with a ginger nod, to leave the two to their own terms.

"I am," His eyes lock with hers and his pace increases. "and you're from here?" He silently wonders to Raimo more about her history with Isilme, and more old memories are dusted off.

"I'm Peixos and that's Raimo. We heir from Isilme. The Shades drove us and our families apart."

Deceased
Emily
Hazel eyes glance around, wondering how much like the Gateway the Threshold really was. She smiled softly, seeing how much Helovia was like Isilme after all. It was then the stallion spoke. She knew that voice. He said he was from Isilme, and asked if she was from here. "Not originally.. I was born in Isilme, in the Cliffs." When he spoke his and the dragon's names, the painted fem smiled. "I think we've been in the same herd before.... I believe you knew my mate as well.... Although the shades have torn our family apart." The thought of Ataraxia hurt her deep inside.. To know that the child growing inside her belly was not the child of her mate....

Hidden Account
Tay
peixos

The Threshold’s sun graced their backs now with sudden ferocity as its light poured subtly over the trees. The strange familiarity was the opposite of welcoming, and a sense inside Peixos (that easily could have been Raimo) held a stiff guard. The pale stallion was unsure what to think about it.

But he kept a firm bronze eye on the painted girl. He did sort-of remember seeing her present in herd meetings, back in the frozen days of Aera. The blue steps in with a bitter cold response, ‘you were probably too busy watching Aёrwen…’ At that, the fishboy glares up into the sky and utters absentmindedly. ‘Damn it Raimo…’ His thoughts quickly return to business and he takes a fraction of a second to adjust his connection with the cocky blue. Sometimes he just wished he could cut his fire spitting mouth off for a while.

The pale stallion’s mind returned to Solstice’s words. She spoke of the Cliffs and immediately Peixos could guess her age.

“I was born in the Tides when Aera ruled. I’m out of Terrador the EarthMover and a mare called Spy.” It hurt to say both their names, but the fish marked muzzle refuses to reveal any vocal disturbance. “The family relocated to the Valley as soon as the Tides were demolished. That may be where I’ve seen you, but perhaps I was too young to remember...” His vivid eyes stare blankly. “But it’s nice to meet you, if for a second time anyway.”

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

They crept like thieves beneath a starlit sky; blunt hooves tracing deer trails and wings gliding gracefully overhead, metallic scales sparkling faintly in what little light the treetops allowed. He didn't know why they came here, of all places at such an hour, because every shadow made his breath quicken and his whiskers quiver. Remembrance? offered the bronze, too young to have felt the fear of his companion, too brazen to be afraid himself. Jackal snorted at such a thought, dismissive and anxious. "Things like that are best kept locked away," he explained, voice frayed, detached. Somewhere in the corner of his eyes a shadow lurched forward menacingly, an inky predator in a sea of diffused greys and golds, the fading stars in their lofty homes above.
Impulses, driven by some primal part of him, sent frantic electric signals to his brain, drawing every muscle taut and forcing the heart to race uncomfortably against his chest.
The red dun found himself suddenly tearing across the forest, dodging trees and menacing red eyes and shades, the white rimming his mercury eyes glittering in the steadily rising light. Thorns and razor-sharp leaves clung to him like needy lovers as he charged clumsily through them, ignoring any suggestion of a path. Dei attempted to trail his bolting friend, too-large wings riding swiftly over a tumbling breeze that rustled branches and bushes like convulsions.
Stop! the dragon cried, his voice grating against every nerve in the appaloosa's body, causing all four limbs to slow, first to a canter and then to a tired trot. In a flash of bold brass, wings sailed quickly to the colt, claws extended gently as the serpentine body lowered himself onto the hot horse. No danger, only shadow. Jackal relaxed.
He moved forward slowly afterward, toward the ever-increasing light. His head was far too heavy to be perched upon the elegant Spanish neck, so instead, it dragged sullenly. Sweat rose from his body in a light mist, capturing the sun in faint gold. Muscles contracted and ached. His hooves felt like they bore all the worries of the world, and really, they did.
'Isilme,' murmured the wind, low and inviting.
Rust-tipped ears flicked forward.
"Isilme," replied the colt quietly, sad and homesick and too curious. He willed himself into a lope, following the cordial hum of distant voices that drew him forward. Thump thump, said cream striped hooves as they traveled and relayed against the soft forest floor. Dei departed from the broad striped back, presumably urged towards the sacred word by his bonded; wings were much more fleet.
The volume of the disembodied voices (female and male) increased as he plunged forward. Soft grey muzzle pushed forward, eager to discover their faces.
Suddenly, there was blue and silver.
Something in his broad chest fluttered. He felt dizzy and brave, like something that was dead in him before was reborn, and it crawled through his heart and up his throat like hope. Legs quickened their pace, eating the ground greedily until the pale blob was distinct. Sunlight swirled in his sterling eyes in vibrant pools of gold and yellow. He owned the world and it surged ever backwards as he approached them, him.
But something was wrong; whether it was the lack of a horn or the bitter look in those brown eyes, the colt slowed, ears tilting backwards in confusion. It seemed as if every hope in his body sunk before it could fly, and he felt damned, like a dream of dust. Over the canopy, a dragon lowed, and Jackal recognized it as a requiem.
Sullen striped hooves approached them, and he felt so exhausted. "Hail!" the dun called hoarsely when he could see the quiver of their nostrils. There was a mare with him, spun gold and white, vaguely familiar; she was with child. He nodded to them, dead leaves protesting beneath his toes as they slowed to a march. "I am Jackal," his voice was strained, but it spoke of the blood of gods and queens and traitors, of too much sorrow and too little joy. Quicksilver eyes, weary but gentle, switch between the duo. His ears had caught glimpses of their conversation, mainly pertaining to the shadow-monsters and their grievances. The stallion was of the Tides, his birthplace and his mother's birthplace, the land where his father had been healer. Maybe one of them would know of his parents - at least his mother? "I was born in Isilme as well," he began, pausing before them tentatively. He managed a tight smile. "Do any of you know the whereabouts of Aёrwen?" It broke him to say her name (he lingered on the soft last syllable, a gentle ending for such a powerful beginning, fitting for such a kind mother and such a brave warrior), and it let back a flood of memories, as golden as the sunlight trickling from between the boughs of pine above. He realized the newness of this stallion which drifted around them like a lost bird. Sheepishly, the yearling gathered himself. "Forgive me for my impudence; welcome to Helovia. Do you seek a place to rest?" Jackal watched the grey inquisitively.
Quietly, Dei descended from the canopy in a rain of yellow leaves and pine needles, spiraling downward gracefully and onto his bonded's back with a soft thud. He wondered about the blue, but Jackal silenced his questions, and the dragon resorted to eyeing Raimo with a mixture of suspicion and curiosity.
Don't hope don't hope don't hope.

forever is a long long time when you've lost your way

Deceased
Emily
Solstice listened as a growing foal kicked at her insides. She could not help but smile, even if inside she felt a pang of guilt. What if Ataraxia was not dead? If he had indeed made it and found them in Helovia.. How would she explain her actions? She pushed those thoughts from her mind, refocusing on the stallion before her. He spoke of Aera and her heart nearly dropped. "Aera was the dam of my lost mate. I am out of Amani Leila the Fair and Gideon the WarHeart. We relocated to the Tides after my father's death and then to the Valley after the Tides fell... It had been when the Tides fell that she and Ata had spoken of thier feelings. After the sundering she had been out cold for a while before waking and returning.

It was the sound of more hoofbeats that caused her to look around. A young red dun colt appeared, a bronze dragon at his side. Another twang of pain as the fem had given up on ever being bonded to a dragon. Sadly she shook her head "I am sorry Jackal... I do not.." Her heart broke for the colt. Surely his mother had made it out of Isilme.... Or had she died protecting him as they ran... Just as she feared Ata had done for her and Aaron....

Deceased
Emily
-prodes Tay and Krazie for when they have time-