Unregistered
:: :: ::

“I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I’ll lay me down and bleed a while,
And then I’ll rise and fight again.”
-The Ballad of Sir Andrew Barton

This is not how it will end.

This is how it will begin.

Cineviam had been persuaded that in the jungle of Helovia, he had been one of the lions. No one had lied to him. It was a conclusion he came to himself, perhaps one that had been influenced by his ashes and the way they reacted to key members of the World’s Edge. Even now, with his ass smarting from a burn and lame (until further notice) in his right hind leg, he still didn’t think that any one herd or outcast group could have won a war against the band of Unicorns. It had taken all the animals to rise up against the kings (and queens) of the jungle.

The Frostheart’s second cry had been a broadcast for his herd to fall back and Cineviam watched with disbelieving red eyes, as his fellow horned ones filed past. He had turned and trailed them East out of the mists but when their crownless King headed north, he hesitated and set his course south. It was a choice driven by his gut. Frostfall was upon them and it was cold everywhere, but the harsh tundra would only aggravate his leg further. Those that made it out would be regrouping, recuperating, and rallying morale. Cineviam’s ego was as enduring as the ash that fell from his frame and he preferred to lick his wounds in private.

Mirage’s time may be waxing now, but it’d be waning soon – the cinder beast would make sure of it.

The Qian had attacked in the early afternoon and it had taken him a couple hours to skirt the Threshold. His wounds forced him to take frequent and lengthy breaks. The sky had become overcast during his journey south. As the day was drawing to an end, snowflakes started drifting lazily downward with not even a whisper of a breeze to disrupt their path to the ground. Still, the icy crystals clung to his mane and forelock, forcing him from Thistle Meadow into the arms of the Deep Forest. The thought of bedding down was tempting but with his weak hind, he knew it wouldn’t be easy to regain his feet.

Even his ashes were remarkably unhelpful.

Ember-eyes stare at them imploringly but they only piled themselves around him. Cineviam always took that to mean wait and he could have cursed them for it, but he was too fearful of their wrath or that they might abandon him. They were all that he needed. Instead he focussed on other details of his situation that frustrated him. His great loss – homelessness, wounds, any favor he gained with Mauja to climb the ranks of World’s Edge. The soot-stained stallion had his eye on Champion not so long ago. With a sigh, he found a sturdy tree to lean against and slowly let his eyelashes fall to brush against his cheeks.

Most of all – he was tired.

i.cineviam
ii.unicorn
iii.6 years
iv.edge stallion
v.created by blu
vi.adopted by taurus

Daenerys Posts: 41
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 hh :: 5
Cami
keep keep on running, there's no place like home
[ooc: Warning, huge post ahead! You don't have to mirror, I just haven't posted Dany since before the invasion, so i have some things to catch up on in this post <3]

It was the hour of celebration, of victory. The battle was won; the Qian had conquered a land to call their own and sent the former residents bolting. So why did she feel this emptiness?

The snowwhite belle had not been watching, she could not possibly be a spectator to something so cruel, but within earshot she had stayed at a safe distance. The clangor of battle spread fear within her heart, reminding her terribly of that fatal day. The day where the usurpers had run upon her family and shattered her world. The smell of blood was carried upon the cold winter air to where she stood, causing chills to run down her spine, images of her family slain flashing before her inner eye. Closing her eyes did nothing but make them stronger, so she stood in the failing light and listened, waited for ceasefire.

The babe in her womb moved restlessly, feeling the mother’s unsettled state of mind. Daenerys turned her nape to look at her swelling belly with softness in her thistle gaze. What was growing in there was a result of a heated moment, a rash decision to indulge in her most primitive desire, but whoever the bundle in her womb turned out to be, she would love it all the same. She was not showing much at this point, her girth resembling little more than a grass-belly, but it had been enough to excuse her from the fighting. If she had been fit, would she have fought? Though she had not spoken the words, she knew the answer would be no. There was no way she could put others through what she had experienced in her homeland. Too vividly she remembered the fright in her heart, the terror as the invading force destroyed her home and extinguished her family. She could not, not even for a place to call home.

Lobes flicked back and forth as the sound of battle ceased, and the dame climbed the rocky hill she had sheltered behind. For a moment she stood there, a statuesque picture of gold and silver, silky tresses whipped around her nape as the sharp wind showed its teeth. In the dark it was hard to see much, but she instantly recognized the figures of Mirage and Vikram. Victorious. So why was she not down there, celebrating? It was expected of her, and her legs were ready to move her instinctively, the fake smile already plastered upon her youthful face. But then she decided different.

Instead the dappled fae turned on her hocks and headed in the opposite direction. Ahriman followed behind her with a look of confusion on his face, but he did not ask, and she was glad. He was old enough to choose for himself what he wanted to do, but in the end he stayed with his dam; he would have to look after her, he told himself. Slender golden pillars dug away at the terrain, determination in her stride as Daenerys headed back for the Deep Forest, the place that had been her shelter for the past many months. Snow started to fall softly, clinging to her skin as the wind settled. The special silence that comes with such snowfall was only broken by the sound of their hooves as they ventured forth.

They did not slow their gait until they reached the shelter of the canopy of treetops, allowing themselves to become engulfed by the dimness that resided there. The snow made small heaps on the ground here and there where a glimpse of overcast nightsky could be seen between the branches, seemingly glowing softly in the dark. The snow on her coat melted slowly, tresses wet and sticking to her skin as she paused and sighed softly. Her mind was boggling over with all sorts of different emotions that she could not possibly bear to decipher right now, so she stood numb and watched as her son found a spot to lay down and rest. With softness in her gaze she watched him, feeling the tightness in her chest loosen a little by the sight of his lithe frame on a moss bed. Soon, he was sound asleep and she felt herself doze off as well.

Yet suddenly she tensed. Raising her tiara, she flared her nares as she caught the smell of blood and her internal alarm went off. About to waken her son and take flight, she smelt something familiar in between the stench of burnt flesh and hair, and she hesitated before deciding to investigate if her suspicion was true.

When he came into view, she felt a knot in her stomach and bit her lip softly. Unsure if she should approach, she felt drawn to the stallion as he stood there. He looked vulnerable, something her motherly instincts could not resist, so she slipped closer. “Cineviam…” she chimed out softly, hoping not to startle him. His injuries were quite severe, and she felt a sudden pang of guilt. It was her alleged family and loved ones that had done this to him, all so that they could fulfill a selfish desire for property. A desire that she had borne as well, but faced with the consequences, she felt cold.

Daenerys approached the much larger stallion from the side, halting in her tracks a few feet from him. What was she going to do? What could she really say that would make any difference? Chance was all he wanted now was rest and solitude, and she came barging in on him in an unguarded moment. Much against her will, she felt tears welling up in her eyes, and when she tried to blink them away, they betrayed her and drew fine lines of glistening silver down her cheeks. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry…” she managed, her voice cracking and turning into a quiet sob. As she stood there in the darkness, drenched and teary-eyed, she looked every bit the vulnerable child that she felt inside.

Cineviam Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

“I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I’ll lay me down and bleed a while,
And then I’ll rise and fight again.”
-The Ballad of Sir Andrew Barton

He wasn’t asleep – not yet.

The delicate crunch of snow under a dainty heel tugged him back from inviting, blissful oblivion with a diminutive twitch of his ear. Cineviam did not open his eyes. Instead he reached out with his other senses and felt with the keen, disturbing patience of a predator. The disruption was probably nothing more than an innocent passerby that accidently stumbled upon the slumbering stallion and was deciding on an escape route that would not wake him. If the disturbance had darker intentions, than they had lost the element of surprise and it was Cineviam who had the upper hand. Nothing happened until her voice broke the silence. His name spoken just above a whisper in a way that lulls, subdued, in the wind-less air about them.

It would be an outright lie if he said that the blizzard-white mare, lightly dusted with silver dapples, never crossed his mind. He often wondered how Daenerys faced the ordeal of childbirth after he left her to her fate in Deep Forest. It had seemed like ages ago and yet with one word from her, it could have been yesterday. Recently defeated and injured, it was not a reunion Cineviam was ready for and he kept his eyes squeezed tight against the world, willing her to move on. Unfortunately, the little Arabian was as persistent as he remembered and the gentle drumming of her hooves advanced on his left, opposite the tree he leaned against. “Shouldn’t you be in the safety of the Edge, Daenerys?” he said, echoing his first sentiment from their meeting on the riverbank. His vocals constricting the name of his former herd land.

Slowly, he pried one blood-red eye open, cautiously peering out from the protective fan of lashes. The classical majesty, obviously young and yet with an archaic dignity that once stirred in the liquid, tranquil depths of her magenta eyes was gone. She looked every bit her three years fighting the tears that left shining trails down her cheeks. The golden markings that adorned her legs were new, but they did not surprise him. He had the same gilded scars, only his looked sulfuric, sour, layered underneath the filth from his ashes, giving him a bruised look. Or perhaps, they were bruises – it was the same side Vikram had rammed into after all.

It was a matter of pride that she should not pity him.

He straightened under Daenerys’ teary gaze, holding himself taller and stiffer. Bearded head turned in her direction – slowly, mindful of the painful twinges in his neck as the muscles bunched together – as her apologies washed over him. Cineviam did feel bad then for pouring salt in both their wounds but he was having trouble comprehending the reason for her waterworks. Her precious moonlit family had won. “It wasn’t my first battle and it won’t be my last…” there was a hint of a promise in his tone. “Look – they’re just scratches” he persisted, trying to appease the damn woman. While she was trying to sob softly, the whole situation still made him mighty uncomfortable.

Where was that mildly annoying perma-smile he had become familiar with?

i.cineviam
ii.unicorn
iii.6 years
iv.edge stallion
v.created by blu
vi.adopted by taurus

Daenerys Posts: 41
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 hh :: 5
Cami
keep keep on running, there's no place like home
Her tiara dropped slightly when the stallion first spoke, biting her lip. But of course he was hurt, not just on the outside; she hadn’t expected otherwise, but still the words stung. What right did she have to stand there crying when it was not her who had lost? Her pearlescent skin held no trace of harm, no one had touched a hair on her head, and still she felt like she was bleeding inside. Daenerys tried to pull herself together, but when she spoke again, her voice was still frail and whispering. ”I can’t go back there… Not now,” she said, only now discovering the truth in her words. It came from the heart, and she looked up at him to meet his blood-red gaze with sincerity. How she would explain her decision to Mirage she did not know, and frankly she did not spill many thoughts on the matter for the time being. If she knew the black mare as well as she thought Daenerys was sure she would understand the decision.

She let her gaze wander over him, noticing a golden sheen under the ash on his pelt. That was something new, just like her own burnt skin had peeled away to reveal shining gold beneath. Their common encounter with the God of the Sun had left them both with permanent reminders. Otherwise, he was every bit like she remembered; and she was drawn to him, she discovered now. Might be she had known it for a while, but it was not until Cineviam stood before her again that she felt the sensation in her gut return. It was not infatuation as much as fascination and curiosity attracted to what was being held just out of her reach.

She could not help but notice how he straightened himself under her gaze and she felt another prick of guilt for forcing her company upon him like this. It was so selfish, but she couldn’t just turn away, she had to make him understand. “Please. Don’t strain yourself, even warriors need to rest,” she spoke in a low, soft tone. Her body felt clumsy and disconnected from her mind; she wasn’t sure what to do next, or if she should even stay, but she took half a step closer and drew a deep breath. “I will leave you if you wish,” she said, her voice a little calmer as she looked at him to decipher his expression. Would he really want to hear a reason for her emotional state, or was she just trying to make herself feel better? “I came to Helovia because I was running from the ones that invaded my home and slayed my family…” her voice cracked and she looked away, strained by remembering all the things she had been trying to shut out. “I understand if you don’t want pity. I don’t want it either. But experiencing this battle has been like reliving what happened that day… And that’s why I’m not in the Edge, why I’m not celebrating and why I won’t return,” she spoke, her voice still thin, but with more determination than before. Death and mutilation had never struck her as things worthy of celebration.

She did not directly blame the Qian for wanting a place to call their own, Daenerys had wanted that just as much as the others, but she had hoped they could satisfy their material desires through peaceful means. When that was not the case, she saw no solution but to part their ways. She was starting to feel something else as well; a need to find her own feet in this world. So far it had been enough to devote herself completely to others, to her parents, to Mirage, to Ahriman. But maybe it was time she devoted herself a bit more to Daenerys. Stepped out of the shadow of others where she had been living most of her life, and started to challenge herself and her boundaries; getting to know who she really was and not who others expected her to be.

Velvet maw was extended, the lightest feathery touch placed on his nape, where she hoped he was not hurt; it was hard to tell, with his perpetual ashes covering his skin. She wanted to say something, but she felt so utterly and completely awkward, and if she could she would’ve flushed bright red from her own gawkiness. “I… I am pleased to see you again,” she managed, voice hushed like she hoped he wouldn’t hear and the words would be unnoticeably consumed by the dark trees around them; and yet, something in her mind was squirming and screaming, wanting him to know. Withdrawing from him, she halfway turned around and was ready to leave. If that was his wish, she would leave him to lick his wounds in peace; Dany was persistent, but she knew to draw a line. But not before the tiniest of smiles had run across her lips. Just like the old days.