the Rift

[OPEN] in the end you're all that matters [Gaucho]

Ivezho Posts: 71
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0 hh :: 5 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Zhoroakah :: Wedge-tailed Eagle :: None Whit
<style>
.peeta
{width: 180px; height: 245px; transition-duration: 0.6s; -moz-transition-duration: 0.6s; -webkit-transition-duration: 0.6s; -o-transition-duration: 0.6s; opacity: 0;}
.peeta:hover
{opacity: 0.9; font-size: 11px; font-family: calibri; color: #111; background-color: #fff;}
.catnip::-webkit-scrollbar {background: #626262!important; }
.catnip::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {background: #efefef; }
</style>

AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HERE IN THE FUTURE, SO YOU SAY THE PRESENT'S JUST A PLEASANT INTERRUPTION TO THE PAST.

The evening sun sank in the west, painting the desert sky in brilliant hues of red and orange and purple. From the north came a small, glowing form - though glowing may have been too strong a word. From within the fledgling prince's bodice there came a gentle flickering, the slightest of glimmers: the results of his heritage, his twice-royal roots steeped in the Sun's everlasting light. When the sun struck him just so, the glare from within intensified, but only momentarily. It was almost a beacon, a flaring signal from within the stone-colored colt to his family that he had finally - finally - returned from his winter months spent in solitude, in a pursuit of heroic desire to reunite that which they had lost: Mother.

When she had left, it had been on some mission or other regarding the Academy. Normally he might have accompanied her, having found a great deal to interest him in the metaphorical pages of her book; but on that day, her last day, he had been left unceremoniously behind. Rather than training, as she had requested - for to his youthful mind, the need for fighting skills was still a rather abstract concept - he had spent his day moseying around the oasis, pouting about Mother's rejection of his company and pointedly avoiding that of others. When night fell, he searched for Mother, scouring the desert sands from the safety of the greenery. She did not return. He was uneasy.

Days passed. Father did not seem overly concerned, but the young prince had been restless. What if something terrible had befallen her, somewhere far beyond their borders, out of the reach of their patrols? What if she was dead or dying? He was angry - looking back, he remembered that vividly. Why had Father not sent someone to look for her? Even worse - why had he not gone himself? Did he not owe her that? As young as he was, the prince knew love. He saw it in Mother's eyes when she looked at her sons, though that was a different kind of love than what she shared with Father. To his young and philosophical mind, reconciling this discrepancy left him scratching his head. Love was love - wasn't it?

Mother loved him, and he knew that if he were the one missing, she would be doing everything possible to find him. He suspected that if Father went missing, Mother would (at the very least) have sent patrols to look for him. But to the prince's knowledge, no such precautions had been taken to find Mother and ensure her safety. Why? Didn't Father love her? Would Father even care if his son were to disappear into thin air?

And so he did.

He had wanted to find Mother, that was true - but one could also argue that his departure was a cry for attention. Would Father miss him? Would he care, or was he so consumed with Rhoa (who had, admittedly, taken more after his father's heart of late than his mother's) that he would simply shake that great head of his in disappointment and carry on? Besides - by then it had been a week and Mother had yet to return. She needed someone to find her, and if no one else was going to volunteer, then the princeling would be happy to oblige.

But over the following weeks, he had found no trace of the missing Sultana. He searched, careful to track his progress with the Sun. Mother had taught him how to read the skies, had told him of the lands lying beyond the borders of the Dragon's Throat. One day, she had told him, one day I will take you there. And yet, he had gone alone and afraid, wondering what he might find in the darkness-inhabited Wilds that Mother had warned him of. Why, oh why, had she gone alone?

And so he returned to his home, trekking south with nothing to show for his little adventure.

@[Gaucho]

"Talk talk talk."

please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
I write what I feel at the time
and hope everyone else does the same c:

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
Shake your mind from slowly sinking under
He couldn't see his son as he trekked across the sands. The Throat had not yet completed their task, and as such, his vision was still removed. However what he could see, especially in the dying light, was the warm pulsing light that the young Prince's body gave off.

Gaucho, who rarely slept anymore, was standing atop one of the larger sand dunes, his darkened gaze watching his flock as they mingled in the darkness. How content they were to simply be safe. His warriors of course were not present - out scouring the lands for signs of danger and guarding the borders. Things had been stable as of late. Gaucho had managed to broker peace with the Basin and Edge, yet that did nothing to quell the growing unrest inside of himself.

No matter how many words of peace were spoken, danger could still attack at any moment.

And so, as the dim light of Ivezho's body poured out onto the sands, Gaucho took to the air without question. Using Mara's gaze he saw the growing body of a child - an ashen pegasus.

"Ivezho?" He wondered aloud, flaming wings beating against his darkened flanks as he flew swiftly towards the light. The combined illumination from their bodies cast the sands in a warm glow as the Wildfire descended neatly upon the ground. Gaucho fought against the desire to curse the Sun God's quest - never before had the inability to see for himself felt so unjust as it did now. It was only through Mara's mind that he could see his child, yet it still felt distant and hollow. He wanted to see himself for himself.

Needed to.

"Ivezo." He whispered again, his voice rich and warm as it had always been.

His son had returned home. Did that mean Sohalia had as well? The child looked slightly malnourished, but not necessarily broken in any large way. If he had returned unharmed, did that suggest that Sohalia had been with him? Guiding and protecting him? Had she returned unscathed from her journey as well?

His mind told him not to hope for sure things, and yet he did.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

<style>
.peeta
{width: 180px; height: 245px; transition-duration: 0.6s; -moz-transition-duration: 0.6s; -webkit-transition-duration: 0.6s; -o-transition-duration: 0.6s; opacity: 0;}
{opacity: 0.9; font-size: 11px; font-family: calibri; color: #111; background-color: #fff;}
</style>

AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HERE IN THE FUTURE, SO YOU SAY THE PRESENT'S JUST A PLEASANT INTERRUPTION TO THE PAST.

The young prince had expected Father to be the first to greet him, and yet despite his mental preparation, his heart still sank in his chest as the looming figure of the WildFire approached. Would he be scolded for having left? Young though he was and inexperienced with the darkness of the world beyond the borders of the Dragon's Throat, he had known at least that he was not allowed to stray past the safety of their herdlands. He had disobeyed - and now he expected there to be consequences.

But he would do it again if given the choice.

Father's greeting, when it came, was warm and inviting, sending the colt back to the days when a kind word and a smile from the Sultan had been all the nourishment he had needed. Even now, considering himself more worldly and adult since he had taken it upon himself to search for Mother, he couldn't help the glee that rose briefly from the simple use of his name. He stepped forward, as though to offer an affectionate greeting, but then stopped himself, reminded himself that he was angry and Father had left Mother to die and how could he?

"Father," he stated formally, nodding respectfully. He didn't know what to say after that. What was one expected to do when returning from a presumably forbidden journey into the Wilds only to find no trace of the missing person that one had ran off to find? "Is Mother back?" he blurted suddenly, hoping against hope that she would have found her way back to the sands. But wouldn't she have come to find him if that were the case? Wouldn't she be here to greet him now? "I can't find her. She never came back and I wanted to find her but she isn't anywhere. Where did she go? Did you find her?"

@[Gaucho]

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
At the Prince's refrained greeting, Gaucho's heart sank.

It was enough that his herd constantly doubted him, enough that Zenobia and Rhoa seemed to have an agenda all their own, enough that the Sun God had placed him on this damned quest that the rest of the herd seemingly had no rush to complete, but that Sohalia had turned his son against him? It was too much. What else could have caused the prince's words to be so flat? So lacking in warmth? Sohalia had taken Ivezho with her, or at least that's what Gaucho had assumed for they had disappeared at the same time. Gaucho ground his teeth together in an effort to hold his tongue.

Whatever the boy thought of him, it likely wasn't his fault. But it still hurt nonetheless.

However as he continued, a look of horror brandished itself on Gaucho's features. What did he mean, was she back? If he was back surely she was as well? He wasn't only enough to travel far distances on his own ... if he had made it back to the Throat surely that meant Sohalia had as well? For all of Soh's faults, she wouldn't just abandon Ivezho to the world.

Would she?

"No. Gaucho thought she take you with her when she go ... How you here if she not?"

Gaucho's eyes clenched together as he raised his muzzle to the sky. He had always thought Sohalia would return one day - that he would see her on the horizon as he had just seen Ivezho - if she ever returned at all. The thought never occurred to him that she could have found danger during her travels.

Or worse, that she would find death.

"Where you last see her. And when?" He asked, gaze failing back down to the young prince. The warmth had disintegrated, replaced with concern and unease.

Image Credits

<style>
.peeta
</style>

The princeling's show of restraint was less from lack of love and adoration of his father and more from confusion; he had arrived on the sands of his home resentful and angry, wanting to blame Father for Mother's continued absence. But now that he stands before the WildFire, all he feels is a deep-seated need to simply be told that it will all be okay, that Mother is safe in the oasis and that they have missed him terribly. At the sight of the Sultan, his anger melted away, leaving only the scared child who had been hiding behind that mask of maturity and responsibility.

The look on Father's face is not particularly reassuring. Confusion mingled with fear with the slightest tinge of horror, as though he has only just now realized that Mother is nowhere to be found. The fury flared again in the colt's chest, his body taking on an angrier, orange-red hue as it glowed from within. Hadn't Father cared that his mate and one of his twin sons had been missing for a season? Or had he simply gone on about his business, caring more for the herd than for his own flesh and blood?

"Mai never took me anywhere," the prince explained hastily. "She just sindarine to do something for the Academy. It was Orangemoon, I think, or maybe early Frostfall. She told me I couldn't come since she was leaving the herdland and it would be too zhowak. I don't know where she went, but I - I went to look for her. I couldn't find her. Why didn't you look for her, Ave?" He was almost pleading now, hoping for some explanation of Father's inaction that would justify it.

@[Gaucho]

Translations ::
mai | mother
sindarine | left
zhowak | dangerous
ave | father

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
As Ivezho spoke, Gaucho's blackened ears pinned tightly against his neck. Anger, confusion, and betrayel blossomed and grew rampant within his blue-stripped chest as the Prince's statement solidified in his mind.

Sohalia had left.

She had not taken Ivezho with her.

During his last conversation with his (former) mate, she had said that she was staying - that she would fulfill her duties as Sultana and remain with the herd. While the Academy was meant to be a top priority for her, the herd was still meant to come first.

Then she had just gone. Gaucho had assumed it was for Academy business - thinking anything else was far too painful, and given that Ivezho had always taken to his Mother more than he had ever done with Gaucho, and given that Ivezho disappeared at the same time, it was natural that the Wildfire believed him to be with his mother.

That Sohalia had merely left the colt - both of them, was unacceptable. She had done the same with Zenobia, hadn't she? She had left her two sons, and in her absence her other daughter Skysong had been murdered, and Ivezho had put himself in harms way just to look for her. When had Sohalia become so selfish? That was the only word he could think to describe her behavior.

"No. Yeri mai astat vikovarerat. Ahhaz me esemrasalat. Yer sindarine akkate kashi, so I dirgat yeri esemrasalat mae." His words were fluid and gentle, realizing now the hostility he sensed in his son as he spoke to clarify. Of course Ivezho seemed angry - If he wasn't with Sohalia the entire time, likely he didn't know why she had left, and wouldn't have understood why Gaucho did not follow her. Softly, the dun lowered his pierced nose, to softly exhale against his son's wither, should he allow it. "Gaucho vos dirgat yer lei." He offered softly, his voice strained by regret. Sohalia was old enough - strong enough - to take care of herself. And while Ivezho was certainly strong for his age, he was not old enough to take on the world solo yet. That he had done so - that he felt forced, or obligated to do so - was a trial that he shouldn't have had to bear.

Gaucho's flaming wings hung loosely from his flanks, as he sighed. Their native language did not have a word for sorry as it was not an emotion normally felt. But in this instance, Gaucho did feel it. The situation was wildly unfair - to both of them - and yet as Ivezho's Father Gaucho felt the weight of the responsibility heavily rest upon his shoulders. "Gaucho sorry."

Yeri mai astat vikovarerat. Ahhaz me esemrasalat. Yer sindarine akkate kashi, so I dirgat yeri esemrasalat mae.: Your mother said she would stay. Then she left. You left at the same time, so I thought you left with her.

Gaucho vos dirgat yer lei: Gaucho didn't think you were lost.

Image Credits

<style>
.peeta
</style>

The young prince had no idea of the trouble he had stirred within Father's mind - all he knew is that he was searching, desperately, for understanding, for a reason why. An intellectual soul, he often took after his mother in this way: it was not enough for him to be given information if he did not understand the reasoning. He did not think of Mother's disappearance as abandonment - after all, she had explained that he should stay in the Dragon's Throat, where he would be safe and the other mares could watch over him in her absence. She had planned to come home that very evening, hadn't she? They were supposed to have a lesson on the properties of the desert, and why it was unique, why it was special. And he had waited by the oasis, splashing in the shallows, bumbling through the sand, waiting patiently for Mother to return. But she never did.

In any case, Father's words were calm and soothing, and he wanted so badly to have one parent, at least, care for him and welcome him home, so perhaps he missed the implications of Father's words. "She said she would athessazar," he explained in a rush, as though the faster he could give more information, the faster Father could rescue Mother. Surely, if anyone could find her and bring her home, it would be his strong, calm, warrior father. "She told me to stay in the oasis, where it was sandi, and she left at yeth shekhi. She said she would athessazar by athdrivar shekhi. I think she was supposed to talk to a teacher, or something. But she said that she didn't want me to come into the Wilds yet, that I was too young. Maybe if you were going into the Wilds, she would have let me go. You would vijazerat anna," he added confidently, entirely focused on how his mother had denied him the adventure of the wilderness. "But then she didn't come back, and she promised she would. We were supposed to have lessons, but now she's gone. Who's going to teach me now?"

Maybe if he had known how to fight, Mother would have taken the prince with her, and he could have kept her safe. Maybe then they would have both been back that evening. Then neither of them would have been lost. "Maybe if you taught me how to fight, I could go find Mother!" he exclaimed, need and hope and confusion evident in his youthful gaze. Of course, it was more complicated than that, but he was still too young and naive to understand the intricacies of adult relationships. All he knew was that Father and Mother were a pair, two halves of a whole that had created himself and his twin, who were also two halves of a different whole. But all together, they made a complete family - what were they to do when one of their pieces was missing?

And then Father apologized, and the princeling was brought harshly and suddenly back into the present. He realized, suddenly, the gravity of their situation, and he wilted slightly, his lip quivering, for what if Mother never came home? What if she was gone forever? Not wanting Father to see his weakness (for wasn't crying a form of weakness?), he stepped forward to bury his face under Father's flaming wing, allowing the physical closeness to comfort him, even if it was only a temporary thing. Sometimes a momentary relief is more important than a long-term solution.

He would remember that.

@[Gaucho]

Translations ::
athessazar | return
sandi | safe
yeth shekhi | high sun (midday)
athdrivar shekhi | sunset
vijazerat anna | protect me

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Gaucho's wings unfurled, welcoming his son against his blue-striped chest. As the boy-prince's flesh melded against his own, the Wildfire's flaming wings wrapped around him, circling the child as he had often done to his mother. Ivezho was smaller, and so more completely held by the dun's much larger wings, and yet the similarity caused a pain of longing to burn brightly in his chest. Sohalia was the only one he had ever held in such an embrace, other than his children.

Ivezho's words were not lost on him, however. That Sohalia had meant to return that night, spoke volumes. Whatever trek Gaucho had assumed her to be on, was only intended to last a day. What then, could have pulled away for so long? Given her promise to remain as a loyal figure head of their family, it didn't make sense that she would lie to both he and their son, promising to return if she hadn't meant it.

What had befallen the Transcended? Has a more pressing matter emerged or ... slowly, the darker assumption that lingered in the back of his mind began to surface, pressing its way forward.

She had promised to stay.
Had promised to return to Ivezho that night.
Had disappeared.
Had been taken.

Gritted his teeth, the Wildfire hugged his child closer as his ears flattened against his skull. The flames that lined Gaucho's wings flared up as his mind raced.

"I will find her." The dun vowed through clenched teeth, his words ominous and certain. He would scour all of Helovia if he had to, to find someone who knew of Sohalia or her last seen whereabouts. She couldn't have been captured without some sign, some trace. If she had meant to return to their son with a few hours, she couldn't have gotten very fair, before whatever foul deed befell her had occurred.

Image Credits