the Rift

Sea Legs (open)

Sorcha Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Life is a funny thing. One moment you could be fighting a bear, and the next trotting down a beach as if you hadn't a care in the world. The roaned Unicorn let her thoughts mull over recent events as she got her bearings in this new place. The wind tugged roughly at her dark locks, throwing them around in reckless play. The cuts on her barrel stung in the saline air, though they were lucky to be as light as they were. Why had that damned bear went after her in the first place? An act of karma, most likely. She didn't always think before she spoke, and had drawn blood with her daggers more than once. No matter what the meaning behind it, the attack had been a wake up call, none the less. Porcelain eyes now flicked around a bit more as she moved, and the rustling of shore grass nearly caused her to flinch. Get a hold of yourself, you pathetic filly. She chided herself venomously. She had never been one to feel the grip of fear, and she'd certainly not let herself succumb to it now. Caution, maybe. But not fear.

In hopes of burying the butterflies in her gut, the paint rose up on her hind legs and danced. Forelimbs struck out at the air, and the dame let out a sharp whinny before diving off towards the surf. The waves met her knees with tall splashes. The water was colder at this time of year, and Sorcha refrained from going in past her forearms. She sped through the shallows like a lunatic, letting her hindquarters slip up in playful bucks. Once she'd had enough of making a fool of herself, she left the water to lope down the beach. She was a strange sight to behold; from her array of horns to the fresh scrapes on her side. Her dripping frame carried itself down the sandy expanse like a half-crazed deer.

Lumina Posts: N/A
Unregistered

The dappled bay mare trotted lightly along the beach, kicking up sand as she went. Her black mane was whipped back by the wind, and the light blue blossoms woven into it threatened to blow away in the sea breeze. They held their spots, though, and the dark unicorn stopped walking at the sound of a horse's whinny. Her tasseled tail flicked curiously. The mare's gaze ran along the distant shoreline, and stopped on another unicorn. This was no ordinary unicorn, though; multiple horns sat upon her head. The mare's violet eyes widened. I bet Psyche would just love to meet you! she thought in disgust- an unusual feeling for her- while remembering the racist unicorn she'd only recently met.

Lumina broke into a gallop, racing across the sand towards the other unicorn. While she was running, the mysterious unicorn began stampeding through the rushing waters. Lumina kept running steadily, though it was difficult to dash in the soft sand. She altered her course slightly, until her hooves pounded on harder sand, recently touched by ocean water.

Lumina was almost close enough to call out, but the unicorn suddenly tore off down the beach. Really?! Come back! Lumina cried in her head. She put on a burst of speed, determined to reach the mare. "Hey!" she whinnied loudly. "Wait!"

Walk Walk Walk
Think Think Think
"Talk Talk Talk,"

Unregistered

If Sorcha had not been running down the shore, she probably would have jumped at the sound of the feminine voice which rang out behind her. The painted mare pulled herself back into a slow trot and turned herself towards the direction of the voice. It was a girl; a pretty, somewhat dainty, looking Unicorn. She had strange ears that twisted towards each-other, and little blossoms decorated her tresses. Almost like she'd walked out of some fairy-tale, where Unicorns were lovely, noble things. How untrue those fanciful stories were. Unicorns were little more than vain and violent creatures with a wavering grasp on morality, as were most of the other races. She had seen enough to know that. She tended to find faults with just about every species she'd encountered, and had herself a good laugh whenever she encountered anyone with haughty 'supremacist' beliefs. Scoffing inwardly at the overwhelmingly feminine sight, Sorcha slowed back into a walk and approached the bay.

"Hi there. You called for me?" Light chords greeted. She refrained from making any comments about the single-horned doe's stereotypical appearance; she was in no place to be making enemies right now. Occasional droplets of salt water rolled down her hide, burning as they passed the cuts on her side. Her encounter with the bear had been enough trouble for the time being. Silently, she wondered why this little mare had called after her in the first place. Hopefully the girl was as nice as she looked. The roaned dame wouldn't turn down a fight, but it would be difficult for her now sore and battered frame.

Unregistered

Lumina skidded to a stop next to the mysterious mare. Her gaze was still locked on the six horns protruding from the other unicorn's head. "Hi there. You called for me?" Lumina dipped her head in greeting. Suddenly, she was dumbstruck. Why had she chased down this unique mare? Out of curiosity, perhaps? Curious about her many horns, or why she had been galloping through the ocean like a maniac? Or maybe Lumina was lonely. She had been accepted into Dragon's Throat, but she hadn't talked to Breeze since. Her more recent acquaintance, Psyche, had not been an enjoyable dame to spend time with. Lumina clenched her jaw at the mere thought of it; how could one species be better than another? Be it a horn or wings or nothing at all on one's body, the heart was what really mattered. Unicorns could be cruel and evil. Breeze was a perfect example of the opposite; he was a pegasus, but Lumina considered him a friend. He was kind and charming, not at all like Pysche made winged horses out to be.

That, however, was beside the point. Lumina withdrew from her thoughts and focused on her current situation and original question. She repeated it in her head: Why had she chased down this unicorn? Lumina ran her gaze across the elegant roan's coat. Various scrapes covered her muscled side, and they looked rather fresh.

Lumina looked at the red-and-white mare in the eyes. "Greetings," she began coolly, "I am Lumina. I noticed you having a bit of a..." She raked through her vocabulary for a fitting word. "A bit of an outburst. I suppose my own curiosity led me to ask if anything in particular was wrong. Now I can see that your side is scraped. I know it's really not my place to ask, but how did that happen? Did another horse attack you? Oh, and that's quite a cluster of horns you have. They're very interesting."

Walk Walk Walk
Think Think Think
"Talk Talk Talk,"

Unregistered

The dainty bay addressed Sorcha. What a long-winded thing she was. Normally, Sorcha might have been annoyed with the banter. But, though she woudn't admit it, it was good to hear a friendly voice after all she'd been through. A cold smile curled her lips as she watched the flowered girl look her over. If that bear had just minded its own bloody business.. she thought heatedly. Sorcha wished she could say that she ripped the mongrel from head to toe, but the encounter had not gone her way. Every battle could not be won. And somehow, it was apparent that she needed a bit of a scare to give her some sense of caution.

"Yeah, guess I did go a bit haywire." The patched vixen remarked. "I'm Sorcha. I had a nasty encounter with a bear and a block-headed stallion out in the woods. The bear got a lucky shot." Gesturing to the long scrapes on her side, Sorcha explained her scuffed up hide to Lumina while remembering the stallion, Coris. The mouthy dog had come crashing into her own fight, and had the audacity to call her foolish. Foolish for defending herself? Because a little mare like herself shouldn't be fighting to save her own life? Some boys just never developed any common sense. With a soft sigh, Sorcha let her gaze drift over the ochre stranger. Her own body was nothing like the effeminate bay's. It was built well, but was visibly hardened. The horns along her own brow were sharpened and cruel, lacking that magical look most single-horned's had. Interesting, to say the least. "My horns have been there all my life. Not sure why I've got six. They come in handy, though."

Unregistered
[Sorry my reply took so long. ;~;]

Lumina silently listened as the mare introduced herself. "It's nice to meet you, Sorcha. A bear, eh? I must say, I've never come across one. And my, oh my! Stallions these days! That's horrible." Lumina flared her nostrils. Even though she had used a horse as an example, she had expected the answer to be... Well, certainly not that! What kind of horse would attack another? For a peaceful, naive mare such as herself, such things were considered very wrong. Then Lumina remembered her horns. "Interesting. They definitely make you stand out. I'm afraid I'm just a boring, typical unicorn." She chuckled softly to herself.

Lumina considered the mare's words once more. A bit defensive, as if she didn't want Lumina to think any bear could walk up to her and deliver an array of scratches. She glanced at Sorcha and waited for a reply.

Walk Walk Walk
Think Think Think
"Talk Talk Talk,"

Unregistered

The sky stretched on above the Unicorns, clouds drifting lazily across the blue. The sea breeze was definitely beginning to take on a colder feel as the day aged. The blue eyed mistress let one hoof cock, letting her battered body relax. The delicate mare before her was not showing to be any sort of a threat, and she was silently glad of it. Were she in better shape, however, she wouldn't have given the idea much thought. "You wouldn't want to run into a bear. They don't have any problem attacking Unicorns, apparently." She didn't expect that this girl had ever seen any sort of violence in the first place. The friendly banter was starting to get on her nerves, but she was determined to stay out of trouble for the time being.

"So, where do you come from? You have a herd?" The overo forced some interest into her voice. She was quite sure Lumina had a herd, for she didn't look like one to be wandering on her own. Personally, Sorcha wasn't sure if she'd ever be able to find a herd that she could put up with, nor one that could put up with her. In time, she might visit the herd-lands here, just to amuse herself and learn a thing or two, if nothing else. It was always fairly comical to watch the reaction of a herd when you strode unwelcome into their land. Smiling, the pale clouded vixen thought about what she would do next in this new place.

[ooc: It's okay :) ]