the Rift

[PRIVATE] there's something beautiful and tragic in the fallout

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

A thorn had wound itself tight into the skin of the king's consciousness, digging deep and aching despite the minute size of it. With every mighty step and swell of his lungs it stung, a reminder of the jibe that had placed it there to ferment and percolate like a bubbling pot beneath his hide. An errant remark, surely, but one that festered like a wound, until even the steadfast king could not remedy it. It was a quick descent into frustration, one that did not last more than a few moments past the absence of the Falls diplomats. With an animalistic grunt the mighty beast swung his head and flared his wings, the only real display of the waning borders containing his temper. Turning, he lifted his gaze to those who had accompanied him at the borders. He could not fail them, leave them without pride and accomplishment in their breasts, lest they not return the favor once more in the future.

"You've both done well. We have shown that we are strong even our neutrality, with your numbers and eloquent words. Carry your pride with you, but do not let it fester. There is still much to do. You have our thanks." Momentarily, he spoke for Kahlua. Though the two were hardly on speaking terms, considering their rather confusing history, they had to continuously appear as a solid unit when facing their people. Otherwise they would not be trusted. As they started drifting, clearly intending to return to their posts, Kaj turned and pinned Archibald silently with his gaze. The Captain was one of few words, and Kaj trusted he would understand the wordless request.

"Walk with me, please," he rumbled in his voice like storms and earthquakes. Turning, he cast himself along the side of the glass wall, hoping Archibald would heed his request. Kaj only uttered true commands when in the heat of battle, or when the situation was dire enough to require them. He did not like to consider his Captains nor his Protectors as pawns on a board, mindless drones to input orders into. So thought some regarded him as odd for it, Kaj always requested things pleasantly.

"I ask you speak frankly with me, Dauntless. Do you think I am an unfit ruler of these lands?" His words were curt, betraying no emotion. A few lengthy moments punctuated the serious question, but then he turned and gave a dark, bitter grin. "It seems others do not appreciate the trust I put in you and your words. I have a few rather...unsavory remarks for that woman," he confessed. Kaj doubted Archibald would reveal such information freely, he simply did not feel that vibe from the massive warrior. The only one who bested Kaj in height, in the Edge. Ghost's remark had infuriated him, but he dare not reveal that when an errant comment such as that could be overlooked in favor of the treaty being constructed. Still, he was rather furious. Did she not trust her underlings to have experiences that she did not? Kaj prayed he would never become that type of ruler.

@[Archibald]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The Hidden Falls leadership left them, and Kaj was alight in an instant. Archibald watched his king react with a stoic gaze, the actions not able to move the beast in any way outwardly. Archibald was, however, confused by the beast's movements. Shaking his body, Archibald seemed to drop the tension from the entire encounter to the forest floor, at his hooves. Loretta stood and mimicked Archibald's gesture, shaking debris and dust from her pristine coat. The dog panted calmly, her salmon tongue rolling out of her jaws to the side. She was amused by the golden king's display, and she tilted her head some when the blue-eyed one turned towards Archibald.

Kaj invited the inky stallion to walk with him, and Archibald gave a simple nod as response. The hefty stallion turned to match the pegasus in his stride. Together, the mountains moved through their herdland together. Archibald stayed silent, though he wondered if this trek was because of the words Ghost had spoken. When the Stormbringer finally spoke, it solidified it in the beast's mind. He was offended. Loretta said, trotting at Archibald's side. Archibald still does not convey any emotion as he speaks, though his voice is clear and florid. "You are fit." It was a simple statement that stood in the silence between Kaj's thoughts.

You are a good leader. Loretta said again, looking up to watch the behemoths as they all moved together. Archibald let the silence between them grow, as if letting Kaj have the opportunity to fill it instead of himself. After walking for several moments in silence, Archibald stopped and lifted his head some. He looked at Kaj, his body square and solid. He was a mountain, unmovable and unaffected by the mare's words. "Your trust in me is solid. I have lived in Helovia for many years. I have fought in every Helovian war but one. I have extensive war knowledge, serving the Windtossed Foothills for several seasons as a warrior and their General, before I was a lead there. I also served the Grey as their second in military command, their General. The mare knows little of her words. The fact that you have let them affect you as much as they have tells me you do not trust yourself as a leader." Loretta stopped with her bonded, though with a tingling in her stomach, the bitch moved off into the depths of the forest to hunt as he spoke.

Archibald the Dauntless

I Am a Stone, Unaffected
Rain Hell Down Onto Me
Flesh and Bone, Unaffected
Your Fool I Will Not Be

image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Though Kaj hadn't doubted that Archibald would follow behind him, he was gracious for it nonetheless. Elegant words had no place where Kaj was in his mind at that moment. It was why he had sought the stoic Captain rather than his empathetic Queen or kindly Glazier. Truth, though often hard to bear at times, was fundamental to growing. The king hoped that Archibald would do that for him, and that he would also be gracious enough to take it in stride. Especially considering he'd been the one to ask for such a thing. Perhaps he should call it a conference? That, at least, was an amusing thought. A formal title for an informal conversation based on his own pathetic insecurities.

At least Archibald was not privy to his thoughts, he noted. Kaj was at least capable of relying on his emotionless exterior, in that sense. Though he was certain that his actions had hinted to Archibald how he was feeling, as assumptions were easy to make when it came to such things. He tried to cast those thoughts from mind, organize his thoughts into something less ludicrous while they walked. They must seem imposing, massive as they were, but Kaj could only feel sorrow. It reminded him of Vikram, of the last time the two had walked the length of the walls together. Yet another that Kaj had failed, never to be seen again.

Hardening his heart, one ear swiveled to listen to the grunt Archibald offered him. His shoulders did not sag or relax, because his opinion did not weight upon Archibald's acceptance, and that was not why he had posed the question. Instead he nodded, continuing on in silence until Archibald answered his question. There was a mild desire to turn and face the brute, if only to quirk a brow at him, but Kaj needed to move. He was anxious, needing to expend his energy in some way, get himself in order.

Archibald on the other hand seemed to succumb to the desire, and so Kaj swiveled and stopped in tandem to face him properly, listening quietly and attentively to his Captain. "Would you rather I be arrogant?" A simple question, though he was careful to phrase it as he did. It wasn't an insult in the least, nor a defensive quip, merely inquisitive. "I do not doubt my physical abilities, but my diplomatic. Unlike you, I have led only once before, and formerly served this herd in your own position." He didn't care so much to recount all his trials and experiences as Archibald had, but there was a certain degree of necessity when it came to this particular conversation.

"Sometimes, I wonder why you do not challenge me for my crown." It was a verbal shrug, his tone. After all, Archibald could clearly best him. "I say this because I am weary of the mind. They look down upon us for our neutrality, when I was the son of a warlord. It is not an easy divergence. Part of me says to prove them wrong, to display our power..." frowning he shook his head. That was not the path he should be taking with the conversation, and he mentally corrected himself. "But that has no validity on this topic."

"Or perhaps it does. You stopped me from nearly killing one of my own, because betrayal inside the family is the highest offense where I am from. This language? It is not even mine. Your ways are odd, your words and ways of speaking, your dancing around subjects...I am not familiar with them. Where I once led, killing her would have been praised, for she nearly led our herd to war. Had I not, I would have been labeled as weak, and challenged thereafter." His hatred towards Aurelia during the challenge to Kahlua's title had been fueled by her actions with the Hidden Falls. Challenging of titles did not warrant death, of course, but Kaj did not touch on those archaic ways that still lay dormant in his mind.

"I doubt myself because of these differences. It is why I seek your counsel. She seemed to say that you led in my place, when it is because I trust you. Yet another thing that is not as strong nor as common in Helovia. You have had far more years here." A simple shrug of his mighty shoulders, and his overly lengthy speech was over, a slight grimace of distaste on his features. Kaj truly did not like speaking all that often, something he was forced to do as a leader. It was still not something he was exactly used to.

@[Archibald]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Archibald stood his ground, listening to the King speak. There was a hurt behind his words that Archibald guessed was too-deep to full reveal, and the Dauntless understood that. He had his own failures, even in all his glory. Archibald did not give Kaj all of his history--of his dethroning, of his quitting title, the blood on his hooves from countless murders in Helovia, the death of his daughter, the absence of his mate, the hellfire of his sons... No, Archibald gave Kaj none of it. Because it was not what mattered in this moment. What mattered was Kaj's ability to trust Archibald, and for the snarky Czarina's words to fall to dust. "Arrogant, no. Confident, yes." Arrogance was what made Archibald's blood boil when he thought of his brother, Tajheri, his enemies, Ricochet and Jackal, and the disliked mare, Gossamer. They were all arrogant in their ways, blinded by their superiority complexes. They had all fallen, in turn. Archibald stood, however, in his stone-like confidence, able to face the world without falter. "You have experience, nonetheless. It may be small, but it has kept the herd safe thus far. In the wake of this rampant murderer, the World's Edge has stayed strong." Archibald's voice was hard, trying to pin the idea of confidence into the pale King's mind.

"I have no reason to challenge you. You have not done anything wrong, and you are not harming your herd mates. If I stood in leadership, I would wish it beside you. Neutrality is more noble that warfare." Archibald nodded, eyes straight on Kaj's. What would he think of Archibald's statement, of the desire hidden so deep within the mind of the Dauntless he did not know he even possessed it until now? "When I grounded you on that day, it was not because your justice was wrong, or because I wanted to see Aurelia succeed. It was not your fight. Kahlua, our queen, needed to, and still does, need to learn how to stand up for herself. If you to come in and save her, what would that say of her? Your strength was never denied that day. Those of us around, those of us involved, saw your passion and love for this herd and those in it--especially your queen." Do you forget the day you stood to defend your land against Confutatis? She could have challenged me on the border that day and instead she called for you. Does that not mean something to you?"

Archibald was frustrated at this point, though his tone stayed even, his voice was deep and low. He wanted to smack Kaj out of his foolishness, for no King should act in this manner. Archibald nodded, understanding his following words. "Trust is hard for Helovians to grasp because of the wars that have been held, in every herdland. I have fought invasions in this very territory twice, and fought for my own beloved Foothills several times. So many have had their homes removed from under their hooves, it is hard to trust other herds, other horses, especially those with valiant desires. Everyone sees those around them as liars, with hidden agendas, veiled with this idea of peace. We do not. The Grey did not. Ktulu, Lakota, Apollo, myself--surely you have seen us together, how we know each other, how we react to each other, interact, and nearly finish the thoughts of the next--it is because we founded our relationships on trust. The World's Edge is attempting to do that, now, in the world. We struggle because our history is marred by the shadow of Mirage. She led a war once, and took this land away from those that inhabited it."

Archibald took a step towards the golden man and touched his muzzle to his left wing joint. Lifting his head again to look, slightly down, and the beast, he solidified his statement. "Take heart, warrior. Do not slip in the whirlwind if your emotions."

Archibald the Dauntless

I Am a Stone, Unaffected
Rain Hell Down Onto Me
Your Fool I Will Not Be

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

They are mountains with walls of iron that rise before them, blocking out even the precipice of their might, and Kaj feels the echo of those walls and finds peace in them. Their similarities give him strength, and he stares quietly into the older beast's eyes, seeking a certain flavor of wisdom that only a Helovian-borne could grant to him. It came in torrents, far more than Archibald had ever spoken in Kaj's presence, and he smiled wryly to think that maybe they were similar in that way, as well. Quiet, deeming to keep their thoughts to the innermost workings of their minds as they rightly should be. It only emboldened the emotion that sang with gratitude, realizing that Archibald speaking so freely was therefore an even greater gift than normal.

Each word washed over him with the intensity of a tsunami, and yet they seemed to purify his soul until he was cleansed at last, standing strong and whole before Archibald with emotions shining clear from azure eyes. Each word was like a perfect, steady-handed suture to the aching marring of his heart. Soft, concise compliments that meant far more to him than anything Mirage or the Moon Goddess could have given him. From Archibald, they were real. Tangible. From Archibald, he could gather himself, move on.

To know his herd was doing well, that they trusted him to keep them on that path, was a weight of his shoulders he hadn't known had rested there until it was already gone. A shift of them, and he felt as if he could do anything should Archibald merely ask him to.

At times, seeing the Grey as he had, he wished to have that same connection with them. It was the connection his home had built itself upon, the one he'd always found missing in Helovia. Seeing it firsthand, knowing it existed inside his home, had been a deep comfort. A tree with roots that dug into his very soul, unable to be torn out or cut down.

All it took was a soft touch to his left shoulder, and Kaj reached forth to return the gesture with a sudden fire in his eyes. "It is you and your faith that keeps me going at times, Archibald," he said fiercely, with a brotherly tone deep in each word, pooling there for Archibald to gaze upon. "It is you whom I trust at my back and at my shoulder in tandem. Thank you, my friend," he spoke deep and true, a blaze of blue in his eyes that translated all his thoughts far better to the stoic man before him. "You have calmed the storm of my worries. I cannot express my gratitude. I shall not falter again." Not with Archibald's words forever inscribed in golden ink upon his skin, a reminder of the worth he truly held.

@[Archibald]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

There was silence, a long pause between the two brothers in arms. Archibald waited, golden eyes looking down on powder blue. As terrible as Archibald seemed at relationships, he had a handful of horses in his life that he would die for and would in turn die for him. Kaj the Stormbringer, today, it seemed, joined that handful. While the two stallions did not hold the history of the Grey which brought the bond to concrete ties as it did with his family, they did hold some history between them--Kahlua's challenge, the Confutatis challenge, and the moment with the Hidden Falls leaders. They had proved themselves to each other thrice over, and Archibald knew it would only continue.

When Kaj returned Archibald's touch, the stallion's body softened some. Archibald moved around Kaj to continue walking, now that they had waded through the sea of emotions that was berating Kaj. Archibald moved with his head in a comfortable, lower position, golden eyes searching the lands around them. If he had to continue to walk with this King--which he did not find a chore, nor to be unimportant--he was still going to make a patrol out of it. "Storms are not a bad thing, Stormbringer, it is what you do with them." Archibald nodded, mostly to himself, as he continued to walk, just knowing that the pale buckskin would fall in step with him. Through the forest, Loretta crashed, finally returning to the company of the warlords. Her tail waved behind her happily, her paws and muzzle painted with the expression of her kill. Blood stained her pristine white and red coat. A mighty fine rabbit. I hid the rest for later. She smiled up at Archibald, licking her lips while trotting on the opposite side of him as Kaj. Thank you, Loretta. The alone time was good for Kaj. Archibald sent through their bond, tail flicking over her back.

"The warriors here are strong, Kaj, but few in number. Cheveyo, the mare you and Kahlua appointed as Captain, has abandoned her post and is nowhere to be found." Archibald moved the topics, ready to cover business with his once-again level-headed King. "I would like Ktulu to be promoted at my side once more."

Archibald the Dauntless

I Am a Stone, Unaffected
Rain Hell Down Onto Me
Your Fool I Will Not Be

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Whatever had changed between them was both prominent and subtle, for to any outsider watching them it would only be apparent that they had engaged in a quick touch that had brought Kaj back to earth. Yet the veritable explanation was that it was something far deeper and important that had changed, an exchange of threads inherent to their own souls that had been intertwined and shared. A brotherhood struck, a companionship achieved, that only they were privy to. And though they turned in tandem and began striding down parallel to the shattered wall, seeming to move past their brief interlude, something big had changed in that moment that Kaj proudly carried with them through their comfortable strides.

Flickering eyes were not restrained solely to Archibald, Kaj finding it slightly amusing that they were both still ever interested in work. Did either of them truly rest? Or was that another similarity between the two mountainous beasts? Words pulled him from his mind, and he grunted softly in assent, not finding verbal agreement to be required. After all the talking he'd done, it wasn't something he was truly interested in otherwise. Though it was an interesting thing to dwell upon, what Archibald had brought to his attention. Perhaps he could use those storms to his advantage, learn to harness them and bring further power in their maelstroms.

From his left, he briefly tensed at the racket Loretta made, his mind stuck in patrol mode wondering if some indiscernible evil had somehow managed to cross the borders. When the hound revealed herself, he smiled wryly at her bloodied chops and dismissed her in his mind, allowing her and Archibald to reunite in peace. It was not his place, after all, and he did not properly understand companions enough to feel comfortable intruding.

Business came to the forefront as soon as the silence ebbed away from Loretta's entrance, and Kaj hummed softly in his throat as he gathered his thoughts. "Yes, I was very disappointed to have that happen. I had expected better of Cheveyo...I had thought there was more to keep her here..." if Archibald were to listen closely he could perhaps hear the misplaced bitterness, the sorrow that tangled itself into the attempted impartial stance Kaj had desired to hold. His feelings for Cheveyo had been tentative, new, but it hurt all the same. He had begun to give up on love, but he supposed it was for the better. It would give him more time to focus upon his herd, the future of it.

"I cannot force members into desiring the title, but I wish there were more who were interested in becoming warriors. Those who are not are still encouraged to train, but I cannot do anything else." Perhaps he could make it mandatory, as he did the warriors, but with fewer spars per season? Alysanne and Resplendence had both shown interest, at least, and he was proud of them for such. He nodded as Archibald continued. "I agree. Ktulu is a competent fighter, and she deserves the position. I will speak to Kahlua about it being done." He would not promote her without Kahlua's acceptance, but it was something he would press upon her in its importance. And in the back of his mind, he considered yet another, yet held his tongue until he had Kahlua's answer on that topic as well. "I don't know how else to support our ranks. I do not fear invasion as much as I used to, with the bonds we hold with the other herds, but it is still always a possibility." With what Archibald had shared of his past, he suspected the brute would feel the same.

@[Archibald]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!