the Rift

[PRIVATE] there's something beautiful and tragic in the fallout

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Though Kaj hadn't doubted that Archibald would follow behind him, he was gracious for it nonetheless. Elegant words had no place where Kaj was in his mind at that moment. It was why he had sought the stoic Captain rather than his empathetic Queen or kindly Glazier. Truth, though often hard to bear at times, was fundamental to growing. The king hoped that Archibald would do that for him, and that he would also be gracious enough to take it in stride. Especially considering he'd been the one to ask for such a thing. Perhaps he should call it a conference? That, at least, was an amusing thought. A formal title for an informal conversation based on his own pathetic insecurities.

At least Archibald was not privy to his thoughts, he noted. Kaj was at least capable of relying on his emotionless exterior, in that sense. Though he was certain that his actions had hinted to Archibald how he was feeling, as assumptions were easy to make when it came to such things. He tried to cast those thoughts from mind, organize his thoughts into something less ludicrous while they walked. They must seem imposing, massive as they were, but Kaj could only feel sorrow. It reminded him of Vikram, of the last time the two had walked the length of the walls together. Yet another that Kaj had failed, never to be seen again.

Hardening his heart, one ear swiveled to listen to the grunt Archibald offered him. His shoulders did not sag or relax, because his opinion did not weight upon Archibald's acceptance, and that was not why he had posed the question. Instead he nodded, continuing on in silence until Archibald answered his question. There was a mild desire to turn and face the brute, if only to quirk a brow at him, but Kaj needed to move. He was anxious, needing to expend his energy in some way, get himself in order.

Archibald on the other hand seemed to succumb to the desire, and so Kaj swiveled and stopped in tandem to face him properly, listening quietly and attentively to his Captain. "Would you rather I be arrogant?" A simple question, though he was careful to phrase it as he did. It wasn't an insult in the least, nor a defensive quip, merely inquisitive. "I do not doubt my physical abilities, but my diplomatic. Unlike you, I have led only once before, and formerly served this herd in your own position." He didn't care so much to recount all his trials and experiences as Archibald had, but there was a certain degree of necessity when it came to this particular conversation.

"Sometimes, I wonder why you do not challenge me for my crown." It was a verbal shrug, his tone. After all, Archibald could clearly best him. "I say this because I am weary of the mind. They look down upon us for our neutrality, when I was the son of a warlord. It is not an easy divergence. Part of me says to prove them wrong, to display our power..." frowning he shook his head. That was not the path he should be taking with the conversation, and he mentally corrected himself. "But that has no validity on this topic."

"Or perhaps it does. You stopped me from nearly killing one of my own, because betrayal inside the family is the highest offense where I am from. This language? It is not even mine. Your ways are odd, your words and ways of speaking, your dancing around subjects...I am not familiar with them. Where I once led, killing her would have been praised, for she nearly led our herd to war. Had I not, I would have been labeled as weak, and challenged thereafter." His hatred towards Aurelia during the challenge to Kahlua's title had been fueled by her actions with the Hidden Falls. Challenging of titles did not warrant death, of course, but Kaj did not touch on those archaic ways that still lay dormant in his mind.

"I doubt myself because of these differences. It is why I seek your counsel. She seemed to say that you led in my place, when it is because I trust you. Yet another thing that is not as strong nor as common in Helovia. You have had far more years here." A simple shrug of his mighty shoulders, and his overly lengthy speech was over, a slight grimace of distaste on his features. Kaj truly did not like speaking all that often, something he was forced to do as a leader. It was still not something he was exactly used to.

@[Archibald]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
RE: there's something beautiful and tragic in the fallout - by Kaj - 01-24-2015, 10:24 PM