the Rift

[OPEN] The Maiden Mist

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
i'll be yours for a song

It felt like home. Home was a deep, dark forest, where the sounds were swallowed by shadows and the trees grew gnarled but strong. Home was an ocean of dark green and the smell of oakmoss, galbanum, pine and earth. Cheska couldn't shake the nostalgia as it seeped through the cracks in her brain. She'd been raised in a forest not so unlike this one. The dark marks in her coat still evidenced every occasion that a branch had reached out to scratch her, every time she'd scraped along a patch of rough bark too hard.

Above, rain fell lightly and the clouds were dark. A soft fog was hovering over the ground. Birds sang far off, but filtered through the branches they sounded hollow and tinny. To another, this thicket could be oppressive or frightening, but Cheska found only relief in the privacy of the branches. The quiet left room to drain the excited anxiety of constant company. Now, her heart had settled into a familiar beat and her stomach stilled its grumbled disturbances.

Rain fell still through the gaps in trees, and she thought there may be thunder in the distance. Ah, thunder. How many cultures had woven beautiful stories about the grumble of the sky? Or the flash of lightning? Or the dark of the forest? She herself had in fact heard a tale once that every time a great soul was set to rest in her forest, a great tree would rise in his place. Each one cradled the soul of a warrior, a poet, a king... even a few particularly talented storytellers. It was for this reason that she'd stopped to touch her soft muzzle against each gash in the bark that she passed. Here, she could imagine the soul of a lost friend, there a valkyrie sister.
Fallada.
Cael.
Mira.
She bid them each a peaceful rest, let herself try to imagine what death might be like. She hoped it was a deep forest.

Something once again fluttered inside of her, and she was pulled from reverie to reality as if by a noose at her throat. Again, it came buzzing in her hooves and the tips of her ears, and if she didn't know any better, it would have felt like... Magic? Who'd trust you with magic? You got about as much sense as a hen's got teeth. She ignored the self deprecating instinct and tried to shake off the sensation of different that permeated her very bones. The idea that something had fundamentally changed within her was equal parts thrilling and terrifying. Perhaps she really had died. Or maybe it was simple jealousy. Everyone seemed so unique, and here she was, same as ever. It seemed wrong that she still be plain ole ordinary Cheska. They were a chain of gold, and she was the brass link. She fantasized that the forest, a stag with magic draped from every tine of its antlers, would share just a little of that magic with the mundane creature that stole through its depths like a shadow.

She wasn't one for sulking, and soon she'd let her frivolous fancy fly back to where it came from. She was back off at a steady pace, finding the gashes and touching her nose to them gently. She paused only when she could go no further, her trajectory stopped by a lovely pool glinting with shimmering jewels. Rather hoping that it wasn't some ancient religious site, she dared a sip at the cool, piney waters. She smiled as her eyes traced across the surface and up to the tip top of the mighty fir on the other side. The gems were beautiful, but the fir was breathtaking. She stared high up into its branches, a grin splitting her face as she found the minute movement of squirrels on a far bough.

Perhaps the magic was not hers, but it was all around her, and maybe that was enough.

count] 659
tags] @[Kvothe]
ooc]

Kvothe Posts: 62
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 6 || Frostfall
Elodin :: Dik-Dik :: None Tribs
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

I think of myself... as a troubadour, a village storyteller, the guy in the shadows of the campfire.
- Louis L'Amour

Elodin...he is feeling quite feisty today. His little legs carry him swiftly through the woods, and I am actually forced to do a brisk, rolling trot to keep up to the little dik-dik as we move through the forest. It is dark, and there is a presence of tragedy around the wood, but he seems to care not. Together we dance through the forest, although my unease grows with each scarred tree, until I slow to a stop.

Elodin pauses, no longer hearing my hoofbeats, and quickly he returns to my side. I can feel his inquisitiveness, and I have no answers for him. He believes, with my newfound form that I can stave off every danger to come near us, even despite the agony it puts me through for the first few minutes. He is to young to understand that I scorn fighting, am horrified by it, by it's uselessness. Only twice in my life have I ever fought, broken my vow of pacifism, and that was to save those who would have died had I not intervened, those who went on to become great folk, with purpose.

I breathe softly, lowering my head to nuzzle his small body, and I smile when I feel his head rubbing against my muzzle. Alone, he was affectionate, cuddly even, although he still kept me on my toes. Our bells ring together, and I straighten to look around us, curious to see if any were drawn by the noise.

Silence reigned supreme.

Slowly I begin walking again, and soon enough am rewarded. Before a pool of gems is a brown-and-white mare, and I let forth a nicker of greeting so we do not startle her. Elodin is curious, and he strides forward, head high as he studies the mare, before his attention is quickly captured by the gems in the pool.

He goes to take a step into the water, and I let out a hiss, and he shoots me a look before sitting down on the bank. Now one of the queerest sights is seeing a miniature deer sitting on it's arse upon the bank, but I was not in a mood to laugh, nay. I was concerned, for a pool such as this no doubt held some sort of curse upon those that dared take a gem. For that was what Elodin had intended, to decorate himself in little gems and stones like a prince.

"Patience child. One day I shall give you more flashy trinkets." I whisper through his thoughts, and he seems satisfied with my answer. "Hello there!" I call to the mare, walking forward towards her and the pond.

@[Cheska]

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
i'll be yours for a song

She let the footfalls grow nearer, not bothering to tear her eyes from the enchanting evergreen. Cheska had never troubled herself with much fear of injury. She outweighed nearly any threat that could oppose her, and she'd learned to take a hit and land on her feet. More than one of her dark marks was the result of a stray hoof smashing into unsuspecting flesh. Though she was virtually without skill in a fight, she'd won the only ones that ever mattered by keeping her head low and wearing her attackers down. There was no glory in it, but there was the quiet pride that she had never been the aggressor. There was security in the knowledge that even the mightiest of warriors could not crumble the most peaceful of mountains. There was probably a story in there somewhere... In due time.

When her eyes turned at the sound of a friendly greeting, they moved slowly, calculation of threat barely a flash in their sage depths. Instead, her expression was soft and curious.

The egg-speckled mare was perpetually enchanted by the vibrant denizens of this little land. She found them a charming sight. The roan was painted in indigo and grandly crowned with a single antler. His companion- What kind of backwoods witchcraft is that? Well... he was something. Far be it from her to judge after she'd accepted a dragon as reality. They seemed to be engaged in a conversation of their own, so she watched curiously for a long moment until the little one sat stock still as if by unheard command.

In the meanwhile, she'd found herself more caught up in the fact that everybody and their uncle seemed to have a little friend, and she'd yet to parse out exactly how these relationships had come to be. Did the creatures here just have some kind of odd birthing method wherein they popped out a zephyr or a bird or a tiny deer? She cocked her head, pondering its existence without its permission. What a curiosity. Fever dream or utopia, Helovia had left her perception of reality entirely unreliable.

She tossed her head in greeting, dipping it toward her chest. "Charmed, I'm sure," she replied with a practiced tongue. In the case of stallions, this was generally Cheska's favorite part. Everything they did after their initial greeting tended to either disappoint or outright hurt her. She didn't make the mistake of trusting them outright anymore. Still, she utterly lacked the self-control to ignore a potential conversation. She'd quickly found that everyone here had a story, and she had a gluttony for absorbing every single one.

Cheska grinned at him, mischief in her eyes and sarcasm dripping off her words. "Now, what's a nice boy like you doin in a gloomy place like this?"

count] 466
tags] @[Kvothe]
ooc]