the Rift

[OPEN] This is how babies are born

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
She has been victorious, but it does not last. Clutching the frail foal in her talons is no difficult task, and with only a few strokes of her massive wings on the quick breezes granted with the height of Caela Insula, she is inside the Dragon's Throat with little effort. The harpy eagle does not doubt her meal, she is confident in her prowess; but she did not expect dragons.

The first to come is a blue streak of lightning that sizzles from above, numbing her for a moment where it strikes her wings. Annoyance vibrates through her lips in a screech as she loses altitude, wings dead at her sides and body spinning out of the air. The creature was small though, and her might strong, so she recovers, appendages at her sides beating so hard to rise her bosoms flop near her face.

It is perhaps they that block her view of the second dragon. This one, much more real, persists with fang and claw to drive her down, harrying her like a sparrow does a falcon. She snarls out her distaste, swerving to and fro to avoid her, other times reaching out with wings to smack her.

At a certain point it becomes too much. The scrawny meal so not worth it. If anything she could go back and pick at the larger corpse that laid there...

Disgusted she flings the foal from her clutches and wheels away into the sky, stomach roiling with a missed meal. At the moment of release she was close enough to the desert sands that the filly wouldn't die, probably.

Fucking horses.

@[Macaria] @[Ampere] @[Abraham] @]Archibald] @[Reginald]

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
WINDOW SEAT TO CHAOS OVERLOAD

She couldn't have flown faster if she wanted, but it still wasn't fast enough. Gradually, but surely, the massive harpy eagle vanished into the horizon. Ampere could only hope and pray that her static dragon could still make it in time.

It was not alone though, because in those first pivotal moments a pale shape had shot past Ampere, its smaller frame giving it the speed she craved. A dragon she thought in confused wonder, sparing a glance back at the vanishing island where the grounded horses grappled with clouds. One of theirs? she wondered, but she knew the answer. She couldn't help but want to know if the reptilian slave actually cared for the babe it chased (did she?), or if it was driven by the rampant emotions of its grief stricken bonded.

Does it matter? a part of her asked. It did, in a small way, but not now.
Now Macaria needed all of her attention.

By the time she passed over the familiar borders of her home, she was able to witness the dragon fending off the strange bird. It flew away, but before that, something fell. Ampere's heart lurched.

Her wings tucked to her sides and she dove, trying to intercept, but she was still too far. "Damnit, no!" she cried out. Like a snake her magic wound towards the falling filly, fueled by the force of her words, the passion in her heart. Gently the magic tugged the the electrical workings of Macraia, attempting to push her, just before she'd meet the ground, in the hopes that the opposing force might lessen the cruel greeting of the sand. If it worked, she might end up rolling, rather than splattering, but Ampere was not strong enough to fully shield her.

Not long after the Mother fo Companions landed among a spray of sand, coat shiny with sweat and stress. She shuffled closer to the filly, nosing her gently, willing her to be alive. "SIKEAX" Ampere screamed into the wind, hoping it wasn't too late.

@[Sikeax]

A M P E R E

darya87.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

You're all that still matters

She should of stayed closer to the oasis that day instead of prowling about the distant spaces of the Throat for useless reasons. Nothing had yet to please her and laziness came to power when it offered her a shade tree. Spread under the cool, airy shadows, it was calming, welcoming, nice enough that she could rest with eyes closed and not feel the need to drive something away.
Coyotes weren't that brave when it came to full grown horses, but after the cougars had attempted to maul her last Orangemoon and had taken someone dear as compensation when she wasn't achieved, there wasn't much trust in the creatures that dare share a room with her.
The commotion that carried on within the desert was never noted. It was a Greek tragedy taking part in a different theatre, one that she didn't have need to attend.
Well, up until her name was blaring across the burning abyss in such a way that she could believe death could be written to her name if she wasn't to arrive soon.
Scrambling with a panicked plea from her brain and every sense, the whites of her eyes ring pale shades as her hooves desperately try to ground her. Maybe she slams her skull against something, maybe she slipped and fell and that's why the scabs across the right side of her honey coloured coat are painting her with blood. Shock masks what must be a burning sensation that comes when you fell down as child and scraped the palms of your hands when you tried to catch yourself.
Whatever happened, it was one of the memories that she lost which could be added to the ever-growing list.
Ampere is there, the only one there when she arrives coated in orange dust and her own sweat, gasping for air as her body shakes under the stress of having galloped the entire way there. Sometime later, she'll fall prey to the stress and sleep for a seemingly endless amount of time through her aches and pains and only hope for the best, but that wasn't an option in the present. Adrenaline has made her forget it all just for a-
Dead child.
Tears would of gathered like waves in her seas on a normal occasion. She would of broken down and cried for centuries over the loss of something that hadn't even felt the beauty of living through all of it's hateful tricks. But no. She had to grow a pair of balls now and accept that people died, and regardless of seeing the living dead rotting before your very eyes, she'd have to accept corpses existed. Cadavers would place themselves before her very own presence when she'd lost something dear.
Today wasn't going to be the day that a child died before her, not if she had anything to do with it.
"I-I'm here." She sows together her breaking heart with a bent needle and bloody thread to keep together what she has while her voice cracks and shatters through every kind of pain to be named. Children aren't meant to die. Children are meant to live and to play, to make friends and live life with dreams like she'd once done. Wasn't this what she dreamed off?
Dead children wasn't on the list, but life's a bitch and a damn good one at it.
Tired knees collapse beside the frail figurine of a beautiful filly. It doesn't matter if the child has already passed or was born that way, white fire pours from her lips as if she is a dragon only spoken of in fairytales, draping itself over the youth in some desperate attempt to resurrect back life into the girl.

OOC: My heart.
It's dead.
The feels killed it.

notes notes notes notes

robb stark

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Macaria Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: Three Years [Birdsong]
Psilo

Macaria

Palest Shadow; Darkest Light

There was a battle raging around me, waged for the value of my life—a life spared by shadows, seemingly blessed by fate. I knew none of this, of course; I only felt the steady pull of hunger inside of me, drawing upon the fragile life I carried in fragile bones. How tragic it would be if they battled themselves to ashes in the ground, wiping out their adversaries, tearing each other limb from limb all on account of my safety—only to have me die at their feet, of mere starvation?

Lightning and clouds and shrill harpy screams; they danced around my head, a depraved farce of a halo if I’d ever known one; I sailed with my captor through sizzling air, gliding over golden sand and, suddenly, a lush oasis filled with a bounty that would do me no good in my newborn state. The world was a blur around me, a magnificent adventure that is usually only told through children’s stories, a fantastic journey built of equal parts fear and excitement. And still the bleating that passed my lips was due to a primal need of mine, and the black residue that remained fixed in the corners of my eyes, a swirling after-image of a horror I could not understand and yet understood with every fiber of my being.

Then—suddenly—I plummeted from the skies, falling quickly, oblivious to the danger I was in—

--and then, the darkness was complete.

I was not unconscious for long; my body hurt too much to allow me any peaceful reprieve. It is here, at this abysmal moment, that my memories begin, and I recollect them with a clarity that I wish I did not possess: I felt aflame as I blinked myself to wakefulness, feeling some stabbing pain that was not hunger, something that blazed my nerves and caused a mournful scream to leave my infantile lips and fat, opalescent tears to fall from my doe-like eyes. What an awful existence I remember waking up to! My body rumbled hungrily; my poor feet were ruined; my body ached from where the harpy had gripped me; I was hot and alone, and while there were others around me, gathered to witness a nearly-broken babe, there was no Father-shadow anywhere to be found to keep me safe from the heat, the bustle of bodies, and the terror I felt from the blackness...

talk talk talk

image credits

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
hold my breath as i wish for death
oh please god, wake me
As soon as his white, feather covered hooves hit solid hard ground, Archibald was set off towards the Dragon's Throat at a dead gallop. He had no intention of slowing or stopping until he had his daughter in his arms, under his veil of protection and safety. The Dauntless paid no mind to borders as he broke through into the desert territory, his body drenched in sweat and covered in the orange-red dirt of the terrain that he kicked with metal-clad hooves. Archibald was gasping for breath, trying to fill his lungs with anything he could muster. Before him he could see the black and blue pegasus, Ampere, standing ragged over his daughter. Another mare was there as well, her coloration vaguely familiar, as if he had seen her in passing many years ago. Archibald's brows knit together as he slowed, walking towards his daughter's corpse. His throat tightened, grabbing hold of a lump of a sob.

My precious Macaria, my baby, no...

Despite the sweat that covered his body and his huffing breaths, the behemoth felt cold. He felt cold down to his very core. Tears welled up in his golden eyes as he walked closer. He stood with his head low, moving past the mares to stand as a tower of protection and might over his girl. He watched her for moments, eyes searching for signs of life on her broken body. At a very visible breath, and the fluttering of her eyelids, Archibald finally came unglued. A nasty, choking sob racked his body and he seemed to breath. His face cracked into a broken smile, and he let out a laugh--a laugh mixed with his uncomfortable feelings of sorrow and sadness but also his overwhelming relief. His daughter, his princess, as alive. Archibald's tears ran down his cheeks, but none new were formed. Crumbling down to his knees, the massive stallion touched his nose--puffing with shaky breath--to his daughter's left knee. "Macaria, my strong girl. Daddy's here," He hummed gently to her, his mind only looking for her comfort and safety.

Archibald gently touched his grey daughter, painted so much like his fallen Shadowmere, for several minutes. His experienced eyes moved over her body to assess her damage, ears flicking back and forth as he thought. Finally, his golden eyes looked up towards the Throat mares, his resolve returned in their depths. His face was hard, his voice authoritative. "Ampere," Archibald rose to his hooves, finally feeling the exhaustion in his oak-like limbs that trembled slightly. "I appreciate your courage and strength." He blinked, eyes moving down to his daughter's body once more before returning to the pegasus. "Can she drink? You were wise on the Island, and I was blinded by my selfishness and inexperience. Alysanne is not ready to give milk to my daughter. I ask, humbly, that she is able to stay in the Throat with you for some time. My sons, I am sure they would like to stay with her. I would also like to be granted the ability to come visit her as I see fit. I have duties in the Edge I must attend to, but Macaria will always be on the forefront of my heart."

Archibald turned his head towards the other mare--a healer, he assumed--and finally recognition moved within the depths of his memory. This girl was born in the Foothills, her mother a captive of Knox. He did not wish to dig up old bones, and he had never held ill-will towards her or her mother, despite the affiliation with the Assassins. "Thank you, as well."

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Reginald Posts: 165
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 3 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Ka'Mate :: Harpy Eagle :: None & Ka'Ora :: Harpy Eagle :: None M.E.

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

He does not know that this will be the last time his lungs will keep him caged and trapped, his heart acting as his own personal scourge. He does not know that he is so near to his own liberation from the debilitation of a body he sees as weak. These things are lost to him; he can only now feel the steady, heavy thump of his heart, the sweat that coats his body as his lungs ache and burst in a way he has not felt for some seasons now. Fate loves playing with him, ridiculing him with the death of his mother just as she’s found, the loss of a sister as he meets her--the pull of an inborn weakness that he had thought had long died before.

He should have been furious.

He would have been.

He would have found the branch again, surely smaller in a much larger maw; he would have razed the fields, the land, the entirety of Helovia, willing it to engulf into a blazing ball of fire; he would have gutted these headlands, cleansing them, purging them of filth, sowing them with salt and pissing on the graves of the lesser; he would have slaughtered the young, taken the meat of a mare now that he knows what it’s for, castrating those beta males who would have challenged him.

He would have done these things, had his fury raged inside.

Instead, he looks into M a c a r i a ‘s eyes.

They are filled with tears; they swim in them, crystalline and bright with his Father’s eyes. She wails, and he feels it in his chest, twisting a knife that someone has carelessly dropped inside him. He bends his neck down; he touches her, a tiny body vibrating in the dust. He sees how one leg in particular jerks and thumps on the ground; he sees the wreckage of a tiny hoof, and knows the she is in pain.

Mmmm,” he hums into her coat, that tiny body of hers. Mmmmm.” It is nothing but a vibration in his throat, no words needed to string together to get his meaning across. Shhh. Shhhhhhhh….

The child’s keening lets up--it does not stop, for she continues to hiccup and squeal with displeasure--but he sees the tears cease falling from puffy lids. Something lurches within him--then he draws back suddenly, crying out in pain, in shock of his sister, for a shower of stars erupt from her, sparkling and brilliant, searing his flesh as they fall upon him--the kisses of starlight turn out to maim, indeed.

Below him, his sister succumbs to tears once again."talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

--Please tag REGINALD in every reply!

--All force is allowed to be used against this character!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
WINDOW SEAT TO CHAOS OVERLOAD

The healer came shuffling through the sands faster than she dared hope, and yet given the fragility of the event, it was no fast enough. Ampere's blue gaze bore heatedly into Sikeax's frame as she knelt down to do her work, Ampere's upset only seeking some form of release, her wildness a storm which unleashed upon everyone. For all her impatient hostility, bred by injustice at this act, the blue mare contained herself as the healer worked. She couldn't sit still though, and her neck ached as she strained it to see, to know, to believe all would be well.

"Is she okay?" Ampere breathes at last, unable to contain her worry.

Darkness swept in then on thunder and rage. Archibald arrived in a sweat which the desert sands would draw to like flies on a corpse. Ampere stepped back from him, but closer to her sister of the sands, uncertain of the state of mind he carried now, uncertain of her own. He was steady now though, the run perhaps doing him good. The titan slowed, his tone sweet as he wove it for his daughter. Ampere looked on in steely silence, thankful for the girl's life, but no less troubled by it.

After their moment, in which the brother also arrived, quiet and protective, Archibald turned to her. She braced herself, but was relieved when he spoke with gratitude. She nodded her marked head easily in response, breathing easier. "The world has enough injustice as it is, I couldn't let it blight this family further, not if I could help it..." she trailed off, hoping it was not salt on a fresh wound given the severe unfairness served to him and his brood.

At his reminder Ampere moved closer to the babe, eyes searching Sikeax's, her body posture inviting the babe to drink if she could stand and find it - Ampere's nose a guiding force if she stumbled or lost her way to the milk. Still, Ampere could not raise this girl... a son was enough.
Attention remained on Archibald as he continued to speak, his request nothing she considered of denying, but a difficult one to promise all the same. These sands alone did not belong to her.

The Edge had been kind to them though during the games and when they sought their aid for Gaucho's quest. Ampere nodded slowly, the acceptance measured. "Your standing in the Edge marks you as a friend, so your presence is always welcome. Given all that has been happening as of late, you can understand how we're all... on alert. It'd be as much for your safety as ours that you not walk in unattended... nor that your sons stay here without supervision of one from the Throat herd." As the adrenaline of the moment ebbed away, the clarity of the situation surfaced. Perhaps it was the paranoia of one always tasked with preventing threats at the border, but Ampere wasn't sure how well she knew Archibald, much less the Edge. Their terms were neutral more than allied. Still, she couldn't deny the need of this child, the grief of this family. Kindness and faith had to be extended at some point.

"Alysanne will be able to care for her sooner than later, but until then we'll ensure her health," Ampere promised.

A M P E R E

darya87.deviantart.com

@[Alija]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Alija Posts: 58
Absent Abyss atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4: Tallsun HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Sara95
A
L
I
J
A
Steel blue eyes widen until they threaten to burst from her eye sockets. Shoving her own baby into the thick grass around the oasis she spoke quickly, "Aakesh STAY here! There is another one of those bird things! STAY!!" His own silver eyes were wide and his body trembled as he sunk down low in the grass. The colt had never seen his mother so frightened and she had never yelled at him before. Sure he had the message the mare took off. Her heavy body made her slow, but she pushed herself hard. What if it was after Hertz! he had to be close by. Anger flared white hot as she raced after the bird thing. Golden hair flew behind her, trinkets tinkled threatening to fly off, but she did not care.

She arrived late to the scene, there were several there. Rushing passed the gigantic black and white stallions she drew to a panting halt next to her lead healer and the black and blue warrior. She just caught Ampere's last few words about someone caring for the babe. Looking down at the poor babe she stepped to block the sun, she couldn't be more than a few days old, and the sun was surely odd and boiling to her young flesh. "What happened here?" Gazing around at the strangers her anger slowly diminished replaced by worry and confusion. She could see how sweaty everyone was, besides the golden girl. Dipping her head towards the bag on her right shoulder digging in her bag trying to find something that would help them, but her mind was to scrambled to find anything.

Pulling out of the bag she thought hard and fast before speaking thoughtfully, "I'm sorry to rush in here like this, but I saw the bird thing..." Her words drifted off for a second, "I already have to babes, but I would be more than happy to take care of her." Looking lovingly down at the babe she turned to gaze at the studs then the mares. "There are many plants I could take to help make sure I can feed them all; Nettle, alfalfa, and several others. Aakesh is already starting to eat grass, so that will help..." Turning back to the babe, she lowered her muzzle softly trying to nuzzle her neck. 'Poor baby, what happened to your mother?' The sweet healer's heart broke as she looked at the horned girl.

-----------------------------------------
Speech Thoughts
Words: 406
Tags:
Note:
Image Credit
[Image: 53a4c3e87d453]
Please tag Alija! All magic and physical force is acceptable to any degree besides killing her.

Macaria Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: Three Years [Birdsong]
Psilo

Macaria

Palest Shadow; Darkest Light

Oops!

I’m sorry, Brother! I didn’t know what I was doing until I did it! In fact, I still don’t completely understand my powers; I just know that my body grows warm whenever I start feeling especially scared or excited--and then, my skin sparkles and sparks shoot from it! How amazing is that, Mother? But, oh, poor Brother; I would’ve guessed that I ruined his nose, if I were aware enough to worry about it.

It didn’t scare him away, though. He was still there, his breath warm and his voice soothing, like it always is, like it would always be for me. The cries that still slipped from me were helpless tears of exhaustion and weakness--and yet, though there seemed to be a crowd of people trickling in, all just to see me, I remembered the fear I had been feeling begin to recede a little bit, as though there were not enough room in my body to feel terror, hunger, and pain all at once.

My brother approached me again, and I guess he recovered from the burns I had accidentally given him. I didn’t notice it; my focus was a shattered thing, speckled with tears and famine, and I didn’t notice his nose nudge underneath me until, suddenly, he was lifting my tiny little frame with the broadness of his head, his movements gentle and careful, giving me a boost to my ruined feet. I squealed louder in astonishment, hiccuping as I rose to my feet for the first time in my life. It was a doomed prospect from the start; as soon as I got my feet underneath me, my legs buckled almost immediately and I crashed to the ground in utter defeat. There was simply no way to even consider it! Standing upright, in such a state; even if my hoof were still whole and pain-free, I sincerely doubt I would’ve been able to handle it.

My Brother was patient with me, though, and so, so kind. He worked with me endlessly, treating me gently, letting his bulk serve as a crutch as I leaned and wobbled dangerously in every direction. I certainly wouldn’t have believed it were possible, had I been aware--but somehow he got me to my feet long enough to make my shaky way towards the blue and black mare who offered herself to me at that moment.

On one side was the iron side of my brother, supporting my first steps; on the other side was the mare’s careful encouragement guiding me towards the store of life-giving force. After that, it was some inner instinct that took matters into its own hands; it was an ancestral memory, deep and primal, that instructed my lips to latch, and my mouth to suck.

The effect was almost instantaneous--and so soothing, that it had to have been right. As the milk flowed through me, it felt as though a haze were being cleansed from my body, and a deep-seated throbbing of sorts that had previously wracked my frame began to recede. I drank as much as I could, though it probably was only a paltry amount for such a tiny babe; and when I was finished, I gave a tiny sigh of tremulous content, leaning back into my Brother as a wave of tiredness engulfed me. The air and the sand was warm, as well as my Brother’s side; it didn’t take long for sleep to crash upon me, and I lay myself down clumsily at my Brother’s feet, exhausted and happy, and very, very much alive.

[ MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. ]

talk talk talk

image credits