the Rift

[OPEN] Mischief Managed

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

One step, two step, three and four

Sand moved beneath my dancing hooves, and to one unused to such a giving surface it would seem difficult, nigh impossible to dance as I was doing. It was a complicated one, one that within twenty heartbeats had me sweating in the cool night air. Why?

Because I was moving incredibly slow. Each step, each arch and each lean was slow, slower than the clouds moving across the sky. Slower than a snail moving across a leaf. At first glance I would seem frozen in place, in the queerest of positions. Yet as you stand, and watch, you would see me move, slowly but surely, centimeter by centimeter.

Since I was no little thing, and this dance designed for horses, always three of my feet were on the ground, supporting my weight as I moved so slowly. This was a dance as old as my land itself. A dance that stretched the muscles and tendons to their limits; it was a dance that left me giddy, breathless and exhilarated.

Wings slowly unfurled, bleached silver and black in the moonlight, arching through the air before twisting, flaring the undersides of my wings to the land behind me. Foreleg bent, slowly scraping the sand as my body arched like a bowstring pulled taut, until my knee placed itself upon the shifting ground. Then my other leg began to move to the side, my opposite hind leg moving as well, the hooves never leaving the ground.

The only part of my body that moved at any speed other than the snail-pace of my dance were my heaving sides and my hair, gently rustled by the near-constant wind that swirled through the desert beach.

Slowly I rise from the bow, then my hind legs move back, farther and farther until they tremble, my back slanted down like the slope of a hill. This was not a natural move to an Arabian, but rather the queer Morgans that occasionally had stumbled into Sehrau. Doing this kind of hurt, but the pleasant pain that burned at your tailbone.

One there, my neck bows ever so slowly, until my chin is to my chest. My body is trembling, protesting this rigor, this agonizingly slow dance. I choose to ignore it; I knew my limits, what parts of the dance I could and could not do.

I was almost done, the last and final pose of the dance was one of the hardest for it had to be kept the longest and had the most difficult transition. A wrong move could snap a tendon or tear muscle from bone. However, I was no inexperienced colt. My whole life I had been dancing this dance, stretching my body to limits it should never achieve, but somehow did.

The dance is partly what made me so...limber for the ladies. If you catch my drift.

A short laugh slips from my lips at that amusing thought as I begin the transition. My rear drops and tucks, pulling my body closer together as wings draw down, spreading out from my body and twisting so most of the bottoms of my feathers brush the sand. Legs still hunched under my body, my back bows as I arch my neck, muzzle pointed vertical to the ground. I stretch my neck out to it's full extent, and arch it as much as I can.

I shift my hind hooves, planting them firmly so I can support my weight on them as I oh, so slowly, raise a foreleg until my leg touches my chest. By this time, this far into the dance, I am ready to fall down and just lay there. But to do so would admit a weakness so wrong that I scorned even the very THOUGHT of giving up. This was my heritage, my piece of home, this dance was me.

For there is a deeper meaning to this rigorous exercise, as there is to everything I do. This dance is not just a dance, a stretch. No. It was me, who I was at my very core. If any watched the entirety, they would read the message every pose screamed.

I was a fallen prince, a dancer, an artist, a killer and a lover. But above all I was wild.

And wildness was in this pose, this hardest of poses.

Finally complete in my movements, I go still.

My leg is drawn up to my chest, my neck arched and my tail raised in all it's glory. Wings are outstretched, feathers flared and gleaming in the moonlight. It is the pose of a warhorse in a painting, a pose of one who laughs in the face of danger and charges without abandon into the midst of the fray. It was the pose of one who stood before those closest to him, who embraced loved ones with passion and laughter. The pose of a man who would kill with glee, who reveled in blood and pain.

It was him. It was Altan, it was Bucephalus. It was all he was yet none of him.

Legs tremble, the only sign of weakness before they crumple beneath me and I crash to the ground. For a moment I lay there, my entire body coated with sweat, foam lacing my shoulders and rump. First few times I try to rise, I am like a colt at birth; my legs refuse to obey me, and when I finally get to my feet they wobble like mad, threatening to toss me back onto the sand for such abuse.

I throw my sore neck back and laughed. The rush is too good, the ache and pain so welcoming, a balm to my soul. The aches of old wounds, physical and mental, are washed away by the fire of the dance, and for quite some time they would remain gone. When it all got too much, when my body and mind felt close to the breaking point... this was my release, the way for me to escape the shackles of scar and of him.

It made me feel invincible and oh so mortal at the same time.

1023 WORDS OF VERY SLOW STRETCHING ENJOY

"Altan's speech."
"Buce's speech."

@[Ampere] @[Zèklè]

Image Credit

Pixel by Aud

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful
I know you will

From the moment Gaucho demanded knowledge of the child Ampere knew she could not answer him. Not int he way he desired, at least. The weight of her reply was so much more than lineage, though she did not doubt its bloody heft, but it was the definition of their relationship, one which she had hastily blurred.

How many times would she do this to herself before recognizing the snake which ate its own tail?
At least this one more time she whispered to herself as she walked, hooves so laden they shifted the sands that bore her, shuffling through them like a boulder pushed by the wind. For all the brave faces that Ampere managed to wear, fear was so strongly rooted in her that it drove nearly every one of her actions, disguised by a boisterous outcry of strength that was as hollow as a paper dragon in a parade. Ampere ruined what was budding between her and Gaucho, because she was afraid of what would come the further she went with him.

That was why she slept with Bucephalus.
That was why she couldn't tell Gaucho, nor the black stallion she currently watched, who sired the child drifting at her heels.

Slowly she drew upon the dancing destrier, her eyes alight with a renewed vigor as she watched him, reminded of the ease with which his love come, the simplicity of what they had. "Hush now, stay still," she whispered to the boy. Unwilling to interrupt him she lent her shoulder to a nearby tree, electric gaze tracing the delicate patterns of his footwork. It was like nothing she had ever seen before, and its beauty easily distracted her, drifting her out to sea where worries and troubles did not tug at her every thought. Unknowingly a smile formed against the roughness of the bark, ushered on by the black's ballet.

Not once during the time he moved did she grow tired, and even as he concluded his steps, his stretch, she was reluctant to be pulled from the reverie provided. She had not come to watch him dance though, she had come to burden him with words, a small price to pay for the weight he had given her. Whether his actual son or not, his genetic material had certainly made all of this more difficult, heavier, than was necessary.

"Bucephalus," she called out to him faintly, almost hoping he wouldn't hear, though she was not poised to dash away if he didn't.

[Wait for Zero :D]

A M P E R E
PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL

ellsouille.deviantart.com with permission

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks
I'LL BE YOUR NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET
a loaded god complex, cock it and pull it
For once, he was obedient. Kind of.

He had followed Ma diligently, his spirits dampened by the way she shuffled her feet and dragged her weight, leaving grooves in the sand for him to prod through morosely. His hooves fit neatly into the spaces, though he had to splay his legs to fill her strides, his little body stretched as wide as it would go, his tongue clasped between his teeth as he concentrated on not falling down. Normally this was one of his favorite games, and he would call to Ma to have her look, to see how well he could be like her, fill her place upon the ground until the day when he could fly. He'd wiggle his tail feathers and grin his crooked grin- and then he'd jump ahead in his excitement and ruin the whole path, and have to start over again.

But as Zèklè trod through his mother's tracks that day, the game felt more like a chore, which was awful. What was wrong with Ma? She didn't seem sick, or tired; she didn't even seem angry with him, even as he wiggled and whined in her wake. It made him unhappy, so he resorted to sulking, waiting impatiently for Ma to get better and wishing he knew how to make it all okay. All he wanted was for Ma to smile- ideally at him.

He didn't notice that Ma had stopped until he bumped into her rump, his nose squishing against the curve of her thigh before he could remember to stop. Zèklè reached his head around her flanks, grinning hopefully, waiting to see her smile back- but no, she simply chided him, and he withdrew, sullen. Ma wasn't even looking at him, she was too focused on something else, on someone else. The boy scowled, and turned away, angry that this stranger could make Ma smile when he could not. Maybe he should just leave and let her hang out with the strange stallion who didn't even seem to move, except he did just r e a l l y s l o w l y . . .

Zèklè was not a boy prone to hold his displeasure, to nurse it against his chest and let it fester, and he quickly found himself interested in the strange stallion despite his earlier ill temper. A child of bustle and activity and action, he found the idea of the slow dance perplexing- why was the stallion doing something so silly? Of course he wasn't gonna get strong like that- how could he possibly beat anyone in a fight going slow motion? Whenever Zèklè watched Ma fight she was always going fast so she could hit whoever she was fighting super hard. What was this stallion gonna do, bore them into submission?

The boy wanted to laugh, but Ma was still watching and she'd told him to "hush", so instead he burrowed himself beneath her to drink instead. He maneuvered as he did so, so that he could rub his itchy rump against the tree- now that was a smart use of action! Just watching the stallion made him want to run. He was bored with the stranger and his strange, slow dance.

"I am more than the sum of my parts.".
Z è K L è
am i more than you bargained for yet?

image credit

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Bucephalus

The name floats towards me from a voice that is familiar. A voice that speaks what she thinks is my name. I am almost tempted to pretend I didn't hear it, to hope she would leave and not see me so wobbly-legged and weak from strain.

But I would not, I enjoyed our encounters too much and they were far in-between.

So once I made sure I would not fall to the sand again, I turn and look up at Ampere with a nicker of greeting, my gaze landing upon the small colt at her side, at his dark coat and blue markings. Quickly my gaze scans his face, searching for any obvious sign branding him as mine. Breccan I could claim with ease. Not only had i been there for his birth, his eye held my brand. Tempe had a more simplified version, but it was there. And both possessed my curled locks.

This colt could easily be mine or just as easily not. It made me uneasy, and I approach slowly, cautiously. If she told me that he was mine... I wasn't sure what I would do. Probably hit myself repeatedly on the head with a tree for sticking you-know-what in you-know-who's you-know-whats.

"Ampere... good to see you. And who is the little gentleman?" I pause before them, lowering my head to better examine the colt. It is then I see his...predicament. His single wing. Sorrow pierces me, sharp as a knife. His parentage was questionable, but regardless I would always feel sorrow for those who could never fly, and especially for those who possessed the equipment for it but could not.

I raise my head, focusing on the blue mare with a faint flicker of a smile. "I did not take you for a mother..." My head tilts, and my gaze flickers over her features, over the roundness motherhood left behind on mares. "It looks good on you." I may like all mares, young or older, but those who held the child-roundness just appealed more.

Contrary to my actions, now that I think about it. Alija and Arvakl had not felt another man's touch before they bore my children. Maybe I actually liked the younger ones...

Or maybe I just liked them all. Who knew.

"Altan's speech."
"Buce's speech."

Image Credit

Pixel by Aud

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful
I know you will

Damn, she thinks, he heard me. Well, better to conquer this moment now that it was here. Standing taller, hoping her stature might lend her strength of heart, Ampere watched Bucephalus draw near. His gaze was easy to trace as it lingered on her son, his nose soon following. If it had been the other side that Bucephalus examined so closely, she might not have minded, but since it was the ruins that the Morningstar explored, Ampere moved a step forward, as if to shield the boy.

Bucephalus was not unkind though. His words remained light and pleasant, as he ever was. It brought a thin smile to her lips, one that she kissed onto the back of the colt's head. "This is Zèklè, my son," she answered with courage, and even a hint of pride. Though like Bucephalus, she suffered in the stead of the grounded bird, constantly pitying the wreckage of his gift. She breathed on the spot constantly, as if warmth, life, love, might somehow construct what she knew wasn't there.

A small laugh escapes at Bucephalus' honesty, and blue eyes glitter with the happiness he always commanded. "Me neither," she admitted, "but there's always time for firsts it seems." At his compliment she tilted her head, her grin broadening in response. It only served to remind her of her current position though, and the predicament it placed her in.

"That's why I sought you out, Buce," Ampere murmured after a moment. Her tones were drawn out, hating to leave the good natured bull shit of idle chatter they began with. Be brave, she commanded herself, searching for mettle. "I'm sure you've noticed some... shared similarities. Not to mention the timing of it all." She levels the Chancellor with a stare, though it asks nothing of him. She does not need his help, nor his acceptance. She only needs him to be told, so that she doesn't feel the weight of it any longer.

"I'm unsure though, of just whom he appears most like, given there was more than one at the uh, time."

A M P E R E
PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL

ellsouille.deviantart.com with permission

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.