the Rift

[PRIVATE] to higher places

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

The aftermath of the murderer reveal left Archibald in tatters. He was fully overwhelmed in rage, mixed into his mind from watching the Moon Bitch walk into his herdland, as well as the murderer Gaucho. He needed to go to the Throat, to see and collect his Macaria. She was not safe there, no, not with Gaucho inhabiting the same space. Would Ampere be able to protect the youngling? Would Gaucho attempt to hurt her, to spite Archibald and his demand for the dun's head? The thoughts flew like a whirlwind in Archibald's mind, and the stallion wanted to vomit. He wanted to scream and kick and bite and demolish something.

Equally, however, he wanted Circe at his side, to tuck her head into the muscle of his neck that she found so much comfort in. He wanted her here, knowing she would feel his pain and give him validity...but if Circe were here, Archibald would not be feeling the pain...would not be feeling the rage...for she would be alive and her blood would not be on Gaucho's hooves.

The feeling of wanted to ralph washed over the Dauntless once more.

Instead, the titan threw his head back and screamed. It was a loud, bellowing, guttural sound that was savagely raw with his pain and his anger. It seemed to shake the world around him--but no, that was caused by the stamp of a single, steel embellished hoof that struck the terra into movement. Birds, scared by the sudden barbaric shout, flew from their coops and squawked their disagreement. The water rippled, unable to hold onto the shoreline through Archibald's earth-shaking display of emotion.

Loretta, below him, tipped her head back and sang her own howl. It was full of sorrow and rage, intermingling with Archibald's scream.

"

@[Resplendence]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

Call out to nobody, call out to me
Chip on the shoulder, the dime in the teeth

image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She had come out to gather herbs as she always did. A normal day, her normal response to stress. Gone yet… not gone. She had come used to the quiet pleasure that the Grove gave, one of comfort and peace, and that was the main reason why she had ebbed her way this direction rather than North or West. It was teeming with life, regardless of the fact that this swamp-like area seemed so dirty, filled with water and secret corners, she trusted the land she walked upon. It was not dirty, instead it was rather stable, and while there was a lot of water and high, leafy plants she still enjoyed this grove almost more than the shrouding mists that she took her place in.

But today it was not peaceful. Today it was far from what she usually encountered. In fact, she almost turned back when she heard this barbaric scream coupled with a sorrowful howl. The ground shaking and bids fleeing from their nests as if their lives depended upon it. Ear pinned back, she carefully eased her way in closer. Yet, she did not emerge from the protection of the trees whose weeping willows danced gracefully along her back in their own little song, a song directed by the gentle winds.

It was only when she saw the looming figure, a good four hands taller than her, that she dawned some kind of recognition. You see, the black, massive beast and his four white socks was hard to mistake anywhere. It had to be him. And after a few seasons of being in the Edge, having the title of Captain, she had finally been able to recall his name regardless of the situation and state of mind. She lets out a cough, Valiance sticking to resting in the canopy above for the time being (the only sign of him is his long lion's tail with a hearty batch of feathers protruding from the end that hung below the leaves just above where Res' head was located), and shuffled her way out of the shadows. Her ear is lopsided, uncertain how to present herself anymore after the cry that had clearly bitten her ears and rang of pain. She blinks once, taking in a steadying breath before lifting her gaze up to the large brute before her. If he hates me… just kill me now… she thinks to herself, Valiance scoffing in disagreement through their bond before she allows one word to fall from her mouth. "Archibald?"

Are you okay? But, no, he couldn't be okay. She recognized the pained look on his face when his mate had died and he was left with a foal. She had seen that. But where was the kid? She hadn't stayed around much longer. She had doubted that he would have wanted her there, so she had fled. And, really, since then, she hadn't left the Edge much either. So the news of the murderer could have been on the air and she wouldn't have heard it - wouldn't have seen it.

She says nothing more, just waits, hiding behind her massive tendrils of hair and working so hard to keep her limbs from trembling. He had been a part of the Grey. He had stolen from her. He had attacked her family not once, but twice. But… now he was supposed to be a part of this family and she didn't know how to act. So she tried to be brave, she tries to look strong. But, really, anyone who knew her would know that she was just as likely to run at times like these as she was to stay there standing, staring her fear straight in the eye.

Oh, who are we kidding. She's far more likely to run then look it in the eye. But, she at least likes to pretend as if she wouldn't run away the first chance that she got.

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

The earth began to stop its trembling, slowly and surely, and the Dauntless lowered his head. It hung limp, his eyes pressed closed to veil molten golden optics from the daylight. Loretta pressed into his knee, her forehead resting against the massive, hard joint. I know. She attempted to soothe, but tears stung her amber eyes and spilled over her lids, drenching Archibald's white knee with her sadness. He moved his head to rest it on his companion's back, sighing into her thick, red fur. The girl is the salvation for our sins. Archibald choked with those words spoken from his bonded, a sob stuck from surfacing to the world. The pain was too deep, deeper than anything he had ever felt. Years ago, when the titan held his stillborn daughter in his embrace and lamented over their loss he thought he had felt the true depths of sorrow. But he had lost Circe. The Shadowmere held par of his heart. She was bedded deeper within him than a sickness, and she soothed him and read him and understood him when the world crashed against him like a hurricane.

The sound of his name pulled him from his thoughts, and Archibald lifted his head roughly, ears pressed forward as his muscles hardened ,ready to strike should it come blow to blow. However, when his eyes cleared after he blinked several times--pushing away the clouds from tears he had not been aware he was crying--he noticed it was the soft, pale mare from his herd. the king cleared his throat and relaxed his body. His ears dipped down to the sides, golden eyes finding her own. Loretta turned to face Resplendence, eyes narrowing some. Does she not understand privacy?

Hush, beast. It was us who made the call.

I still don't want her here.

I know.

Archibald merely watched the fearful mare for some time, his lips pulled tightly together in his silence. Finally, he cleared his throat. "I am sorry to upset you." He apologized, voice raw and deep and honest. He did not know what else to do. He had wronged this mare in the past, from invading her home to taking her safety item during the wraith attack. He wanted her to look at him now with his sins of the past aside, though, to him, they were not sins. The actions that had affected Resplendence were actions written by the hand of his overarching sense of duty.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

It's like a wall of hatred. Maybe she shouldn't have come. It seemed, after all, that the dog at his side did not want her presence. She shuffled her limbs, prepared to turn around as he blinked out tears, ears forward and attentive. And, then, they fell down to the side - eyes meeting hers as his companion narrowed her own.

There was no words, and she stood frozen in place. Yes, perhaps she shouldn't have bothered him. She swallows, and stiffens, ready to go and run in the other direction before he speaks. An apology she hadn't been prepared to hear. "I- I… it's fine." she whispers, eyes shifting down for a moment. She chooses, for the moment, to assume his apology is about startling her with his screams and the ground shaking. "I just… I thought you were injured… I came to try and help." she tries to explain, stumbling over words as her eyes scan his frame. No apparent injuries were laced across his frame, and she wasn't sure his mutt would allow her any closer to inspect further.

There is a pause, eyes flickering back up to his gaze as she takes in a deep breath and steadies herself. "We've never formally met." A pause, ear flickering upward as she tries to make peace with the fact that he was now a part of this family, and formally introducing herself seemed like the best place to start. "I'm Resplendence, this is Valiance. And if you'd like for us to leave we will, since you seem to be fine physically," she said, voice (for once) managing not to waver in his presence. There was a few clicks from Valiance as he tried to comfort the mare, finally coming down from the branches and resting upon her back as a form of support.

If he wanted them gone, they would be gone.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Archibald simply watched her, eyes glazing over in their typical stoic way, the statuesque warrior forming once more in the wake of his heartbreak. Loretta turned and walked around Archibald, finally resting beneath him, leaning against his cannon with her shoulder and her cheek on his knee. Her amber eyes still stayed pinned on the soft golden eyes--so much like Archibald's own eyes and still so different altogether--of the girl, though her tail curled calmly over her white paws. In Archibald called her to be civil, she would obey, for in his state, disobedience would surely lace a new scar on her thick pelt. Resplendence spoke and Archibald lowered his head some, shaking it, as he scoffed. He did not scoff at her, but at himself, at the sorrow and rage that clawed away at his blackened heart. "My injuries cannot be mended by herb or by magic. Only time." He closed his eyes for a moment, and he doubted his own words. No time would heal the void within his soul. Circe was gone, and there was no repairs that could ever be made.

He lifted his head once more, however, to look the dun in the eye when she continued to speak. He set his jaw, listening, and his eyes watched the dragon drop from the trees and land on her bonded. Archibald nodded, a respectful but stoney nod, and introduced himself in turn. "Archibald the Dauntless, Loretta. Newly crowned King, as you've been made aware." Archibald recalled their previous meeting, and the young winged boy she had brought into the Edge with her. Her reaction to his title change had been predictable, the slight way her jaw and hardened and her eyes had widened, it was something Archibald did not fault her for. She probably thought Kaj's head was laying somewhere, his body thrown off the cliffs over the edge of the world. This was untrue, of course, but his history played otherwise. He had not touched a dark hair on the head of their delicate queen, either. Archibald had earned his title, as he had in the past, and he would keep it with honor and steadfast dedication.

@[Resplendence]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

He was in pain. She could tell. In fact she knew the pain all too well. She sighs a little, before looking at him - trying desperately to figure out if she should share this information. It was something she'd only shared with Quilyan, in pieces (pieces he probably hadn't fully put together). But, she knew the darkness that filled one's heart because of the loss of a mate. She knew it too well. She knew how it clouded over, made the desire for revenge. She knew how it ate at the heart, broke the soul. She knew all of the different pains that it could cause.

She pauses, body freezing for a moment before she finally lets the words fall. It's only fair. She has to consider him part of her family now - she has no choice. "If… if it helps, I understand. I lost my mate and twins to wolves before I came here, to Helovia. I… know the pain all too well." she said, voice dying off on the end as she glances away - pain flickering across her orbs. The old wounds easily reopened, but the pain had dulled off a long time ago.

Alas, as she moved on for the moment with introductions, he brought back the idea of being King. She stiffened a little having had hoped that it was all some sick joke. "How? Did one of them give it up? Did one of them leave?" and the unspoken question of 'did you challenge them?' She wasn't sure she understood what was happening. She just wanted everything to be right, to be normal again. And yet, it was all twisting around in awkward phases that she couldn't quite connect to each other.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Archibald did not have to reply to her words about loss. He let them roll over his back and sink into his bones. He was not alone in loss and pain, but he was truly alone, with none but Loretta to bear his burden, in his transgressions and history that stormed with sin and love and loss and glory. His history was a storm, a hurricane of deceit and truth mixing into one contradictory, blackened heart that he harbored in his chest with little regret. His tail continued to flick flies off of his hide, and he averted his eyes from the pale healer for a moment, looking out onto the surface of the still waters. The birds had returned to their nests, their chirping songs slowly starting to register in his inky ears once more. Archibald sighed, and Loretta let her tongue roll over his knee in a comforting, careful caress.

Molten gold eyes looked back upon Resplendence. She looked so confused and confident and hurt and cautious, rolled into one being and Archibald wondered how one creature could exist with such a dangerous concoction of emotions and not implode. "No." He said simply, his voice a quiet tone, meant only for his claybank healer. The King shifted his weight, steadying himself on the loamy soil beneath him. "I was promoted because I deserve it, not because I stole it. You think I have little dignity, woman, when in fact I hold great honor within my wartorn chest. Give me some credit. Do you not follow the orders of those above you? Do not imprison me for the sins of duty." His voice hardened some, eyes along with it. He was talking about everything he had done that crossed his path with her's in their slight history. His jaw set, and he waited for her to lash out at him, to unleash her puny wrath on him this day, tail continuing to flick away pesky flies.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

There was this sickening feeling of realization and uncertain pieces of the mind. The pain from her twins dying, it was circling through her veins. It was clenching at her heart. It was starting to eat her whole again. Quilyan was not here. Her family was strewn across the lands doing who knows what and she was here trying to pick up the pieces of herself that she thought had already been picked up. She'd thought she was gluing the pieces back together, the pieces from the deaths she witnessed before she came here. She thought she was gluing the pieces back together from watching Rowan die. But, right now? Right now it felt like she was trying to pick them all back up again after being hit in the gut.

The topic changed back to him being King. But, his words didn't make any sense. How had he been promoted without taking away one of the others' position? She hadn't seen there be three leaders, and yet his words made it sound like there was. Confusion flickers across her face as she tries to stand there and be strong, to not show the pains of her past that she was trying so hard to push aside. "So… there are three? But I've never seen there be three…" she whispers. He asks if she thinks he has no dignity, if she can't give him any credit and it almost makes her scoff. Except she can't scoff because deep down he still scares her. He scares her because she's seen him when he's fighting, she's seen him steal something off of her. And, most importantly to her - she's seen the fact that others trust him. Others trusted him, which meant if he did something to her he could twist pretty little words and they'd believe him and not her.

The words that fell from her lips were quiet, calculated in a manner that she hoped would give her the least amount of lash-back. "You have dignity - or you wouldn't be standing up, taking a title that requires dignity and grace. You have honour or there wouldn't be a flock of others who still cling to you. But I've seen you steal, I've seen you fight for lands and cause pain." She pauses, swallowing as her golden orbs tried so hard to keep her gaze on his, to allow herself to appear as strong as her frail body was. "I'll I've seen, Sire Archibald, are things that would be off-putting. I'm sorry that I have concern for my brother and sister, but I have to have it - they're some of the only family I have left. And you? Your family? They're growing tenfold - all coming to the Edge, while all of mine disappeared in the darkness." Her voice breaks a little before finally allowing the last part to hang in the air, to be voiced at a normal level instead of her uncertain whisper. "I don't want to be afraid of you, Archibald. I wan to let you into the family but I don't know how anymore when all I've seen you cause me is pain. But I'm trying. I'm trying to accept it, to figure out other parts of you, to cling to those ideals instead…"

She shakes her head and Valiance flickers up and back to the tree-line to give her space and prove to her that she can be strong without constant support. Still, if he was needed he would be back in a second. "I'm sorry. You probably don't understand. I can't see you being scared of anything anyway." And with that, she allows her sight to drop, a form of respect before she falls completely silent.

Would he even care that she was trying?

When I'm ready to fall
With love

The king gritted his teeth together, setting his jaw in his familiar stone-like fashion. The mare angered him in her ignorance and her frustration, and his tail lashed against his hind legs, displaying the emotion so fully and openly. Loretta's ears pinned down against her head and the bitch stood stepping out from beneath the solace of Archibald's tower of strength. The red and white malamute lowered her head and snarled at the claybank woman, tail curling over her back as the hair along her spine prickled some. Archibald's bright, golden eyes narrowed as he spoke fervently, "I invaded to follow contract and obligation, not on my own accord. I did not want to take anyone's home from them." He did not let his gaze falter, instead, he stared straight on towards the one-eared mare as if to burn holes through her own golden colored eyes.

The Dauntless King took a step forward, raising his head and looking down on her with all of his disdain and anger. "When I took your pinecone, it was not a personal gain to gain dominance and cast fear over you. You got it from an ancient power in Helovia, and it was laced with some magic that kept the holder safe from the infection that was turning the inhabitants of this world into wraiths. I took it upon my shoulders, alongside other selfless horses, to use those items to protect myself as I fought the wraiths to protect everyone in this world. It. Was. Not. For. Me."

He took another step forward, lowering his head some, and his voice in tandem. "It was for you, and everyone else not strong enough to fight back." The Dauntless was once more standing over his bitch, but his tail had stopped lashing and his muscles hardened beneath his midnight pelt. He looked like a statue, his war-hardened body solid and unmoved just a few steps before the puny morgan mare. Silence, beast. Archibald commanded his amber eyed companion, before he asked Resplendence a simple question.

"Do you understand, now, why our paths crossed in such ways?"

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

Anger seemed to set in his jawline, in his eyes as they flicker, in the way that his tail moves. Hell, it even radiated off of the dog who was now snarling at her. "Valiance. Don't. Don't do anything." Res pleads in her mind, and with a snort of disdain he rests in the trees - eyes narrowing in concern for his companion as the other two slowly closed in during the equine-beast's speech. He says he invaded the home on contract. Took the pinecone that she didn't know was magical and had really only kept it because of her appreciation for herbs and a reminder of the Edge's pines.

And he ends up only a step or two away, head leaning down and imposing even more on her space, though his voice lowers. She swallows, tears welling in her eyes from fear. The way he hovered over her and closed her in was far from comfortable. All she wanted to do was to run. "I-I didn't know about the pinecone. I only kept it because it was a reminder of home - because I like herbs and plants…" she stuttered, eyes flickering between him and his companion as she swallowed uncertainly. "I didn't know your intentions, and when the first interactions with someone are that bad Archibald it's hard to get rid of them." She whispers, voice hoarse as she struggles to find strength inside. She can't find that same strength that she had with Kaj or Kahlua. She can't find it because she doesn't completely trust him not to hurt her.

She shrinks, head lowering, ear falling to the side and body weight falling mostly to her haunches as she prepared to bolt the second he did anything. Though, really, she had no chance of escape with how close he was. It just, it wouldn't be possible. He could kill her then and there, and that was that. "Now I know your side. But it doesn't change tha-that image." She swallows, eyes peering up at him now with nothing bad sadness and resignation lingering in her eyes. She didn't want to fight, and she couldn't fight. "I can see why our paths crossed… Just please, give me space!" she cries, voice raising as her limbs begin to tremble (finally unable to deal with how close he was to her) and she stumbles back into one of the tress - pressing against it as if it were going to keep her standing. And the tears fall, her heart races, and she almost feels as though each breath hurts. Her nostrils flair in an attempt to gain more oxygen and as she speaks her voice is strained. "I-I…. h-have you seen y-yourse-self? C-compared to me? I-I couldn't even m-make a dent in your flesh. Al-all you have to do is land one w-well aimed kick and I'd n-never walk ag-again." She trembles, eyes falling to the ground as she swallows the pain and uncertainty. "I-I can't erase those images overnight…"

Her mind is frayed - so many images careening across her skull that she can barely function. And she can barely breath now, breaths short, quick, and uneven. Tears almost choking her as she tries to figure out how to speak, calm down, and not collapse. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." she whines (or at least her voice sounds whiney even though she is really just pleading for the release from this panic attack and the uncertainty). And, then she finally admits the one thing she hasn't been able to say outloud - the one thing she didn't even know was creeping around in the corner of her mind. It was stuttered out in her haze. "I-I d-don't know how - how to tr-trust anymore… It-it's all been br-broken. N-not just by y-you, I-I promise. I jus-st. How?" she croaks, knees locking.

She struggles to stay on her feet, but with the air still coming in randomly, in small jarred amounts from the panic attack she can only slide down the tree and listen to the pounding of her heart in her ears as it mixed with the sound of the animals from the grove.

And all she was at that moment? She was only sorry for being this weak when she guessed all Archibald wanted out of his herd was strength.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

The beast is used to fear. His gargantuan form and his immense power in battle strike fear into the hearts of even the bravest of mares and stallions alike. He recognizes the smell of fear as it radiates off of his opponents, knows the twist in the ears and the tightness in the muzzle. Archibald, the warlord, knows the twinkle if fear behind hardened, narrowed eyes. He knows it. He wields it. Archibald is a domineering beast, with his fierce and faithful canine, and he makes knees tremble and fear break those beneath him into submission.

Archibald has no desire for this mare to fear him.

Her words roll down his spine and cause a chilling, tight hand to grasp him firmly. Archibald lifts his head and backs up, three steps, Loretta scuttling along with him. The king watched, still with stoic eyes, as the mare before him dissolved into tears and stuttering, aching breaths. Even beyond her words, her questions, the Dauntless stayed quiet for quite some time. Birds chirped in the background, crickets rubbed their legs together and emitted their songs across the water, and fish made ripples appear on the grove's glass-like water ever so often. Loretta let her eyes dance up to the dragon, knowing how the lick of flame felt over hide, mostly but Archibald's memories, but not completely. Enough. He commands, knowing her thoughts before she even does, and quickly the bitch lowers herself down onto her belly, tail curling under her in submission to the massive warrior who commanded her heart.

His voice softened, but the king did not break his stoney facade. He felt sympathy for this mare, but he regretted nothing of his past actions. At least, now she understood his side of their shared history, tangled in the depths of each of their hearts and minds in foggy disarray. "Pick yourself up. You can only trust others when you trust yourself. Lean on yourself. You have to know you can survive alone, with nothing left but your own strength, before you can give parts of your heart and soul to others." Archibald turned his shoulder some, moving to no longer stand head-on towards the claybank mare. It was an attempt to send comfort, to invite her into his space, to apologize for invading hers. "Have confidence in my words, Resplendence. I am here to protect you and your family, as well as mine."

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

She can't really breathe. Her nostrils are flaring and she's trying to drink in all the oxygen she can, but she can't. And when he backs up it's like the heavy weight on her chest is starting to finally allow the space in her lungs to open up. She gasps for air. A painful noise that causes Valiance to finally emerge from his perch. It was from her earlier pleas that he keeps from sending fire in their direction - but he does let out a short snarl of warning before the canine lowers herself to the ground. He lands upon all four feet, fanning out his wings and covering part of her shoulder with one of them. She jerks, eyes wide - afraid of even her own companion for the sudden appearance. Her frayed mind just couldn't keep up with all of the things that were happening. Her head slowly drops back down though, and Valiance clambers his way onto her back - sweet nothings being murmured to her through their bond.

It is only when the tears dry, her body unable to keep choking on them and struggle to breathe at the same time, that Valiance brings his wings forward to pat dry her tears and then begins the delicate work of braiding her locks. "Count" He begs her, trying to get her to focus on anything but the anxiety of being crushed - of being unable to escape.

Alas, the only thing that kept her from falling deeper into the panic attack was the fact that Archibald's voice had softened. He still looked intimidating - he still looked threatening, but his voice didn't show any of the pain she was expecting to receive. He tells her to get up, and she tries, still afraid to disappoint him (afraid that there will be lash-back she can't save herself from otherwise). He speaks of strength, and as her weak limbs and spinning head fight to keep her standing she can only shake her head. But he turns, just a little. His shoulder faces her now, instead of his chest, instead of having his entire body aimed at hers. Gold orbs flicker toward his at his last sentence and she tries to desperately to cling to it - to remind herself that he was here for that.

But, clearly shown on the surface was the pain and stress that was carried on her frame from the panic attacks. They hurt her more than they helped her, and she had accepted that but was unable to hide it. Her heart was still racing, but her breathing was starting to find a more realistic rhythm. "I-I have k-knowledge of he-herbs," she whispers, voice strained, throat hurting from the way she had choked and gagged on tears and oxygen at the same time. "but I'm n-not strong. I c-can't fight, I-I'd break."

She shudders, body nearly crashing again as she began to feel light headed. "I-I feel weak," She whispered, far weaker than before and she instantly starts to sway on her feet. Probably not enough oxygen when she had been dealing with it earlier. Valiance jumps off of her back, squeaking and clicking uncertainly. How was he supposed to help her? He couldn't hold her up! He was too small!

Her knees lock again. Her body is no longer trembling, the muscles no longer acting awkwardly to cause her to shake. Instead she is actually swaying body rocking a little bit forward, a little bit backward. She swallows once more, words slurring as she drops her head down almost to the ground and spreads her legs a little to try and stabilize herself. But the only way she really knew to stop her panic attack was to be held - tightly - and it usually involved her cowering under Quil's wing. Cowering there and not letting it get this bad. "L-light headed. Heart-racing. N-need Q-Quil." she pleads, eyes shutting as her words slur a little and lists her symptoms as if it would make sense to the warrior. "N-need t-tight contact… n-need his heart rate.." she gasps for air again, ear pinning back in uncertainty. "n-need to m-match it…. B-body matches it-" a short gasp, "-it when h-held t-tightly."

And she's crying again, because Quil isn't here and she's suddenly afraid that if she passes out she's going to die. So as she sways, struggling to stay leaning up against the tree and not fall to the ground. Valiance, knowing that Quilyan was nowhere within reach, tries to come up with the next best alternative. And, as much as he still loathed the giant before them, he was the only one around that could be used. Giving in he tries to tug on Archibald's mane, begging for him to take the place of the winged stag, of Res's knight in shining armour. He has to work, he has to calm her down. If he doesn't she would pass out, be even more defenseless, and she would hate herself even more.

"Let help. Let Archibald hold. Use heart." he begs, sounding disgusted that the pair needs the Dauntless' assistance. But he knows she needs it and he won't take no for an answer (at least not from her. He really had no desire to get stomped on today…. Archibald could say no. He wouldn't fight Archibald saying no).

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Loretta, suddenly, springs back to life as Resplendence sputters and staggers. Archi, she breathes, turning amber eyes to her bonded as she steps in front of him, she needs you. The King turned his eyes up from the malamute to the tiny, faltering woman, and waits just a moment. Her emotions have overcome her, taking all of the control she had left over her mind and her body. Archibald grunted, the wind moving through his mane and tail and feathers with ease and pulling tendrils to dance in its movements. The red dragon, a ball of feathers and scales and worry, rockets towards the titan and pulls on his mane. The creature begs Archibald to move forward, to act, but until Resplendence spoke--or, truly, struggled to speak--what Archibald needed to do was unknown in his mind.

He was a warlord, not a nurse for the weak and their emotionally overrun panic attacks.

However, he was her king. Her protector. Her leader. A beacon of guidance in the dark and dangerous world.

Quickly, Archibald closes the distance between himself and Resplendence. His mind races, and Loretta sends him an image of when she had pinned her sister, Manhattan to the ground when the black dog had attacked Archibald with her magic. Knowing, finally, what he had to do, Archibald pressed his chest against the claybank's shoulder and wrapped his head over her withers, pulling her in tight and curling his neck around her. He held her like a vice, pressing her tiny body into his chest. She needed a heartbeat, she had confessed, and Archibald's was beating in a steady, hammering rhythm in his inky breast.

Archibald closed his eyes, gold veiled by darkness, and sighed deeply into Resplendence's skin. While he was here, holding this mare in a calming, or, rather, attempting to be so, embrace, all he wanted was his family to do the same for him. He wanted Ktulu and Lakota and Apollo and even Ophelia to wrap him, his daughter, and his sons in their embrace.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

He closes the distance just before she could collapse. His massive chest pressed up tightly against her shoulder before his head craned over in a vice. She trembled, worsening at first for a second as she always did, tears falling from her face in uncertainty. It wasn't the same, the way that Quil's wings covered most of her frame and hid her also assisted in blocking out most of what was causing the pain. But, still, it was working, and she tried to allow it to work by listening to Valiance's silent pleas. She could feel the gentle lull of his heart and regardless of the millions of thoughts that raced across her brain the mare's body shifted and changed to fit it - to match.

Instinctively, her own body twisted, head wrapping around his tree-trunk of a leg and squeezing against it. Slowly, with all of the pressure overloading her overly sensitive nerves, they began to calm. They couldn't handle the consistent pressure so they faltered and stopped reacting so violently to what was going on around her. Her eyes were squeezed shut, and slowly she trembling began to cease and her breathing faltered back to normal ins and outs. Her pulse now matched perfect rhythm with the brute beside her and on occasion even some of their breaths began to match.

Yet still, she clung, because the feeling of his breath against her pelt was calming now. It was Valiance who moved first. The hatred having left his mind for the most part since Archibald didn't say no and instead had helped his beloved in a way that he was unable. He carefully planted himself upon Archibald's back - trying to wrap his wings as far around the brute's neck as he could in an attempt at a thank you. Then, Res finally allowed words to slip from her mouth - far more coherent then they had been. "Thank you, Archibald," she says, against his forelimb before allowing her neck to stop snaking around his limb so that he had the opportunity to move. Alas, she still brushed her maw across his shoulder before speaking again, another physical sign of the gratitude. She wasn't sure what would have happened if it had continued like that - if her body could have taken the increased heart rate for such a prolonged period of time. "I survive on my knowledge. It's all I have…" She pauses, trying to figure out how to word it all. "I don't have the same brute strength as you - I have to rely on others, it's how I've made it this far…"

There is a short period of silence as her mind runs and finally she connects to something that might help her feel more stable around him - to help back up the proof that he would help. "Could you, maybe, tell me more about yourself? I really do want to try - I really do want to be able to call you family…" her voice a whisper that trails off at the end. He probably wouldn't understand - but if he gave and wanted the same in return then she would.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

The king held the healer tightly for some time, eyes still pressed closed as he listened to her breathing. She calmed and he could feel the tension roll off of her muscles and, finally, she released him. Archibald took a step back, turning his head to look at the red dragon as he embraced his massive frame in a quiet but quite audible thank you. Archibald nodded to the dragon and Loretta moved in, pressing her shoulder against Archibald's right foreleg. Very odd. It wasn't a hold of submission that calmed her, but of some sort of...protection. Loretta spoke her mind clearly over their bond, but Archibald stayed silent. Whatever had transpired just now was new to the beast, but he was confident in the fact that he had to do it. He was her king now, and she was his to protect and to serve, and the Dauntless would do whatever was necessary to protect his herd.

Her question ran through his ears and Archibald stood with his lips pursed, silent, for quite some time. His past...his history...everything that created him as the being he was today was a dark dance with just glimpses of sunlight through the stormclouds. How could he tell such a damned tale and expect this mare to still find trust and confidence in him afterwards? Evangeline, a woman who had hated his mother always but held Archibald in a place of esteem, poisoned her hatred on him, too, when he spoke of his past to her, gave her the truth. Archibald's face hardened back to his normal, stoic state, as his mind mulled over ways to make his story something that would not break the delicate beginnings of a bond of trust that was beginning to form between him and the claybank mare.

Stepping forward and to the side, Archibald walked past Resplendence and into a dryer area, Loretta following in his hoof steps, until, finally, the titan lowered his impressively towering frame to lay at the base of a tree. He rested his shoulder against one large, protruding root, and Loretta sat at his hip. Keep an eye and ear out. I need to be alerted of any danger. Loretta nodded at the command, her amber eyes resting on his golden eyes for just a moment, warm and trusting. He looked to Resplendence, but did not wait for her to some to lay or stand near him before he began weaving his tale of darkness, triumph, heartbreak, healing, light, and truth.

"I have lived in Helovia for many years. I came from a land called Isilme where I served as a warrior as far back as I can remember. Isilme was destroyed and run rampant by shades, not unlike the wraiths that plagued us not long ago, and I fought to protect my herd and my family as they fled. Finally, I ended in the Threshold of Helovia with my brother, Evers. We went to the Windtossed foothills and I served as a warrior for many, many seasons. After my time of warrior service I rose to the rank of General. Ricochet, a evil, racist stallion was leading the Windtossed Foothills as the equine member of the three species Triumvirate leadership that Paladin the Valiant had established. Ricochet tried to hurt my dear friend Ophelia and I ran him out of Helovia. I came back to the Foothills and was placed as Chief in Ricochet's demise." What would she think of his first usurp? In truth it had been to rid the herd he cared for and would die for of evil, but would she see that? "I was a man dedicated to duty and my loyalty did not falter from my mother. When she commanded, I acted, even when that meant death upon someone's door. I was challenged for my leadership and I was defeated. I found The Grey, led my Ktulu and Ophelia, as you know, and I joined them as their second in military command. We stormed the Foothills after their leader--the one who had challenged me--disappeared in his cowardice and fools gold. He was but a boy, and his dragon was the true victor in his challenge against me. We overtook the Foothills, but did not force anyone to leave their home. The Grey kept the ranks open to those that fought to protect where they lived. Many stayed with us. After we aligned with the Basin and invaded the World's Edge, however, I left The Grey with my mate, Circe, and spent several long seasons in the wilds with her at my side. We birthed two sons, twins, which were finally the light. We lost our first child, a filly, but a year before...as an atonement for my sin. When I was still in the Grey, when Circe was pregnant with my daughter my brothers and I banded together to squelch my mother's raging, evil hand on us. We gave her her death. There is ancient blood in my feathers, on my hooves, and I can never repent for that. But I am no longer driven by an evil hand. I am my own master."

"But now Circe is dead. She is gone and it was the Moon Bitch that killed her." Archibald's voice turned to ice and he turned his eyes to look out on the water's surface. "And my daughter, too young and too weak, stays in the Dragon's Throat with her brothers as protectors. Soon, however, she will be at my side." And I will never fail her.

@[Resplendence]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

He held her, but she doesn't think he understands just how much it means to her. A renewed strength pulling her back up - giving her energy to focus on the fact that he was not a complete threat, that he could care. So she tried to ask to learn more about him.

Valiance receives a nod from Archibald, acknowledging the thanks that he had been trying to give. Alas, they had both separated, giving each other another as he took in her question before deciding to move to the side and then laying down.

Resplendence moved over, Valiance taking the branches above to keep watch as well, and she carefully settled in not far off from Archibald as he began to weave his tale. He spoke of the Foothills before she had been in it, though she recognized a few of the names. Then the invasion, an then his children. It was uneasy, for her to hear of all the death that he had caused, but the words that he spoke of at the end… it helped to calm the butterflies that raged across her chest in uncertainty. Then, he said that Circe was dead, speaking of the recent murders. "I see…" she whispered when he had finished, eyes glazing across his frame. They both were much the same… just coping in different fashions.

"We are the same… in… in many ways…" she starts, awkwardly trying to place the words as she lets out a short breath. "We just coped in different ways. I became fr-frail, easily shaken by terror and emotion… you… you became a stone?" she swallows, uncertain of if he would take that as an insult. But, it was true in a sense. He was as hardy as a stone, not easily broken, could even take the abuse. Still, he could be broken to reveal a gem, if approached in the right manner as Circe had seemed to accomplish. "Your daughter… she will have me too - and any others of the Edge you wish to have back her. I understand the loss of one - before I came to Helovia I lost my t-twin daughters. They… they'd be the a-age of Nayati…" Meek tears come to her eyes before she shakes them away. Cautiously, she presses her head against the ground, ear falling to the side before speaking once more. "I-I'm sorry for always thinking the w-worst… It was the only way I k-knew how to s-survive…"

But now… now she knew just how alike they were. And now? Now she was certain she might be able to move past it…

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Archibald stared out over the water's surface, watching as the still lake was disturbed by the occasional bird that swooped down to gather a beak full of water or a fish the snatched an insect off the surface. This place was so serene, and Archibald had spewed the darkness of his history and his life from his darkened heart into this place. It was vile and he felt dirty. His face was hard, his features cut from marble, his eyes two solid chunks of gold within the ebon fur. Loretta pressed her body into his, her own heart weighing heavy with the storm within his chiseled breast. Her eyes cast down and to the side as she looked at her bondmate, ears lowering in her lowered state of emotion. Her tail thumped against the loamy soil, and a small whine lifted from the depths of her throat. The bitch moved so that she was a in a half-laying position, resting her chin on the thick stallion's rump. Macaria is safe with her brothers. Do not forget that. Archibald heaved a breath, and cast his eyes up to the dun.

She spoke of her history, and Archibald gave a nod. He understood the hole that the loss of children left in one's heart. It was a cold, empty, endless void that threatened to devour the whole of the soul. The stallion blinked at her comment of him becoming a stone. It was true. He was a rock. Hard, cold, apathetic, emotionless...

Archibald shifted his weight and Loretta sprang up in time for the behemoth to gather his weight once more on his solid, tan hooves that were covered by his thick feathers. Archibald moved his massive head towards Resplendence and breathed heavily through his nostrils, trying to send more comfort her way to diminish her trembling. Cloudy, stormy, guarded eyes grew with a slight glisten, and a lump rose in the Dauntless' throat at the mention of his daughter. "Thank you," Archibald said to the mare. It was but a mere whisper compared to the normal baritone of his voice. His confidence was not lost, but the moment needed only silence, and even his whisper was a mar to the compassion that the tiny claybank showered him in.

@[Resplendence]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS               

image credits

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Resplendence

She says they are the same, and he slowly moves. It is only when he is at her side, breathing warm air against her face that she truly feels some kind of connection with the behemoth before her. He was going to be one of her family, now. She knew that she needed to believe that. Too many things were going wrong and she needed something to cling to in the sense of family. Hers was lost, ripping apart at the seams. She wasn't built for this. And, after seeing the similarities, the ability to care, it was easier for her to start to push the bad images out of her mind.

At the mention of his children, he breathes a thank you, and her trembling stops completely. Carefully, she pulled her head up, to press her maw up against his. She said no words, certain that actions could always speak louder. It was only after a few moments that she pulled herself back up to her feet - Valiance circling until he could land upon her haunches in a supportive manner once more. Her tail swished, body no longer trembling, but mind have completely forgotten the purpose of coming out of the Edge and to the Grove.

There was a gentle sigh before a meek smile curved the edges of her lips. Golden orbs flickered in an acceptance that had never been there before when he was near. "Perhaps it is time we return home." She says the words, her speech almost the same level as his whisper. But, not trembling - not broken. She was slowly easing up around him.

One day… they would be completely at ease around each other regardless of everything else. One day soon…

@[Archibald]
When I'm ready to fall
With love