the Rift

[OPEN] don't get too close

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Death. She had seen it- Hototo giving his life for the good of Helovia, saving the murder sleuths that had found the perpetrator in this all. Gaucho, an innocent, life ruined at the whims of the goddess who ruled her land. So who was more to blame- the Wildfire or the Lady Moon? Or, at that, perhaps the Sunshower herself was to blame, for letting her herd live under the guidance and protection of a conniving woman. Of course, the queen had never found the Lady Moon’s advice to be bad until this moment. Hadn’t the Lady Moon guided Kahlua out of her depression, brought her into the light through her shadowy words, helped pick her head up when the Sunshower only wanted to bury it in the sand?

But, at the same time… hadn’t Kahlua only ever wanted peace for Helovia? No death, no mysteries, no murders, no fear around every corner? She had wanted friendship and happiness. Under the reign of the Lady Moon, it seemed that they could never have that. For not the first time in her life, the queen wanted to run away from the Edge, run south to the Throat where goodness and light prevailed, where warm sands would rise up around her hooves and calm her, leeching the sadness out of her.

She could not. She had to head home. She had to tell Resplendence. She did not want to break her friend’s heart, but the Edge had to know. They had to keep themselves safe, for Kahlua had seen the shadowy woman be banished to the corners of the Edge. She had to keep her herd safe, even though she was afraid.

Slowly, her hooves took her in the direction of her homeland.

Outside of her homeland, the queen stopped, shifting and swaying back and forth, the shattered glass of the wall many yards ahead, the queen not daring to get nearer. Did walking the woods, knowing what the Lady Moon had done, mean that she endorsed such activity? And what… what if the Lady Moon appeared to her? How would the queen respond? She did not want to know the answers to these questions. “Resplendence!” she called out, hoping the pretty woman would hear her. She had many, many friends in the woods, but in times such as these, Kahlua really wanted and needed family- her sister. Dear Resplendence, whom she had befriended so easily and loved so deeply. Perhaps she would know what to do when Kahlua did not. And if not, at least they could mourn together.

There must be something she was missing… The darkness in this lands, the evil the Lady Moon had caused- was there a reason?

@[Resplendence]

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She stayed at her garden. Her safe little garden. The garden whose walls had ben erected but not fully put in place. Where her greenhouse barely existed. Ideas tossed aside like she had. The only place of rest, where bad memories could not haunt her, was beneath her canopy, when Valiance closed the entrance and allowed her to curl up in a bed of leaves and grass the two had constructed together. For, when she left this canopy she was faced once more with the guilt that if someone were injured she might not be able to help. She was faced once more with the fact that her brother and sister had left her there to rot while Quil… he had disappeared.

You see, originally she had thought it to be something important. But plenty a time now she had begged, pleading with her heart locket that he come back. It had worked before, so many times before, and yet it wasn't working now. It wasn't working when her mind had drifted to contemplations of suicide far too many times to be healthy. It wasn't working when all that she needed was a family who cared back for the young doctor who had spent her entire life trying to help people (and being completely scared of her own shadow).

But, her name was called, so she forced herself back onto her feet as Valiance pulled the curtains out of the way for Resplendence to walk through. And, slowly, the pair edged toward the border. However, it was confusion when she saw a figure in the distance rather than right atop the shards of glass that were scattered across the ground. "Go look, please. No fire, no displays. Just look," she instructed to Valiance who, with a huff of annoyance, did as he was told and shot to the sky. He circled around a few times, high up above, casting a shadow over Kahlua and carefully sending an image of the painted mare back to Res before heading back to her side.

The bonded pair met in the middle as Res moved forward, slow and not concerned. There is a dryness in her throat, and her eyes are hard. Yes, a sister, but one who had yet to come speak with her - to inquire what was wrong. And… here she was, yanking Res from her safe haven to speak outside the Edge. Golden orbs flicker slightly with concern, but otherwise lack emotions - they simply appear dead as she stops to stand beside her sister, no her Queen and bows her head in a way that she knows she doesn't have to. "Madam Kahlua. How might I be of assistance?" her words are dry, betraying the hurt that lingered in her soul from being cast aside as if she were nothing, and when she had finally pulled from the darkness, not having any conversations with her sister to see what had caused it.

But Res had changed during this time too. Those that she felt safe around, she could finally present a strong demeanor too. She didn't tremble, she didn't stutter. She simply was, ever emotion crawling forth and shooting out as it was needed because she could finally allow herself to do it. And Kahlua? She couldn't hurt a fly - not intentionally, at least. Yea. She'd get it all out now.

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

As Res arrived with her dragon, Khan descended from the tree branches and settled upon the queen’s back, talons digging into her flesh on her shoulders, making her wince. She often wished he wouldn’t grab her so harshly, but then… Could she really stop him? Shaking her body slightly, the queen looking up just in time to see the blush-hued woman bowing her head. The Sunshower was taken aback. Furrowing her brow, she was struck into silence as her sister’s harsh words hung in the air. Madam Kahlua. She’d never been called anything so formal by Res before in her life. Why now?

If she stopped to think about, and surely she did try, she might have remembered the distant way that Res had been acting. Yes, they had been working together to solve the mysterious murders that were showing up around Helovia, but had the queen ever bothered to actually pull Res aside and speak with her? No… their meetings had been short, business, the queen always rushing off to attend to one thing or another. There was so much to do, and so little time for her to do it in… Of course, if even she had really realized these details, she wouldn’t have any excuses. Family was family, no matter the obligations. The queen needed to remember that more often.

“Res,” she said gently, sadly even, stepping forward, trying to extend her nose towards her sister’s. Would Res accept, or push her away? Raise her nose in greeting, or remain stoically still? The queen trembled, waiting, hoping, not knowing what the answer would be. Whatever she had done to make her sister upset, she hoped it was not too much. “I’m sorry,” she babbled, withdrawing her nose as she apologized for something… she wasn’t even certain what it was.

“I had some things I needed to tell you… in private,” she said, eyes shifting warily towards the borders that lingered in the distance. She could hardly see the glass wall’s skeleton now, but she knew it was there. She knew every crack and crevice, every turn and angle in the wall’s path. “But they can wait,” she said, eyes returning to her sister’s face, searching there, looking for something that would clue her in as to what was going on. “What… what’s wrong?”

On her back, Khan twitched and shifted, eyeing Valiance, almost tremoring in desire to jump up and chase after the little red in a sort of game. However, for the moment, he was able to contain himself. Something in his bonded’s demeanor restrained him. Was this him… growing up?

Resplendence

The Queen's blue dragon took his place atop her back, and though Res could see the confused look and shock upon Kahlua's face she still kept the air of formality. Really, it was the air of formality that Kahlua had placed when she had seemingly turned their friendship into a business relationship. Oh, there was this clue. There was this new member dead. It was sickening, and then she would run off before Res could ask more - before she could be asked if she was okay.

Yet, as Res bowed, her queen stepped forward with her name across her maw. She tried to press her nose against Res's flesh, but she wouldn’t allow it - not right now, not yet. She moves away, head low and stretched away as the apology that always came from Kahlua's mouth fell. She was sorry for something and Res just hoped that maybe she would know, for once, what it was she was sorry for.

She claims that she needed to tell her things in private, but that they could wait. Hah. They could wait? Since when had Kahlua or Kaj taken time aside from their duties to just walk to her? Oh, far far too long. And, as Valiance lands upon Res's back, finally settling back in, she asks what was wrong.

Her head shoots up, dead eyes meeting that of her Queen. "I thought we were friends." she snaps, gold eyes starting to flicker in pain. "But you demote me, without warning. Okay, maybe you couldn't find me hiding in the shadows of the Edge. But there were plenty of times after that you could have come to check up on me - to see what was wrong!" The words sound as though they should be screamed, the energy inside of them so full, but she is only whispering. A harsh, biting whisper. "I finally find something that makes me useful and I'm stripped of it, Quilyan disappears and you want to know who cared enough to check up on me after the meeting?" She almost scoffs, voice still quiet and low (so much more painful than if she had been yelling it). "The one person who came to see if I was okay? It was Alysanne. Alysanne came to check up on me. Not you. Not Kaj. Not those who I considered to be a brother or a sister. It was Alysanne, one who I thought of as a friend but had never thought she would be the one to comfort me when I needed it."

Res slowly starts to back away, creating more space between her and her Queen. "So if you don't want to be friends - if you don't really care - perhaps it is best that I keep this space, that I stay formal. Madam Kahlua - the choice of caring is yours. But I've been hurt enough, and I'm tired of feeling weak. Quilyan is gone and it seems the family I thought I had… it seems they're gone emotionally as well. I'm tired of waiting for it to turn around. I'm tired of waiting for explanations."

She snorts, her head raising higher. She was stronger than before. Maybe not physically, but emotionally. She was more stable. Afraid of most of the world, yes - but afraid of her comrades? No. Not anymore… "

When I'm ready to fall
With love

It was like a dagger to the queen’s heart as Res pulled her head away, creating distance where Kahlua had tried to reduce it. The queen was not sure what had caused such a rift in their relationship, but she prayed to the gods (except, perhaps not the Lady Moon) that it could be fixed. The Sunshower had many friends, many good friends even, but few that she thought of with as high regard as she did Resplendence. Right from the moment they had met, Kahlua had known they would be good friends. The pink woman had been gentle and patient, even as the queen had fumbled through the underbrush trying to pick the (apparently) wrong plants from the ground. Whatever this was, the queen was not willing to let it ruin the bond they had forged.

And whatever it was, it was clear she was about to find out-

As Resplendence’s words bite through the air, Kahlua withdrew sharply and her eyes widened. There had only been one other occasion when she had heard Res sound like this. That was when… Aurelia. It didn’t matter, the queen’s ears turned sideways in confusion, but her blue eyes never left the pink princess as she went on her tirade. Of course, the queen was not content to just sit there and listen. Reactionary as she was, she felt her heart begin to beat faster and her eyes begin to moisten with tears. She hated fighting, but she also didn’t want to stand and let Res berate her for reasons that she found to be unjust.

“Well just hold on a minute,” she started when Res had finally finished, her tone taking on a hurt and snappish quality. “Who ever said we weren’t friends?” She had done her best to keep her work and personal lives separate, but clearly in this moment they had melded together. “It wasn’t must me that demoted you, and I looked for you. I couldn’t find you anywhere! And you know what? Things got a little busy.” Resplendence had stepped backwards, but Kahlua moved forwards towards her, not willing to let this little fight tear them apart.

“You’re not the only one with problems, you know. Have you bothered to ask me how I’m doing? Have you thought that maybe I’m having a bad time too? Helovia is plagued by some murderer running around and killing everybody. I’ve got to keep them safe. Everybody looks to me, everybody wants me to make sure that nothing happens to them. That’s a lot of stress on my shoulders.” Snorting, she narrowed her eyes slightly. “And then! You know what then? Then I find out the murderer was being controlled by the MOON goddess herself. Our goddess, Res. And they banished her to our forest. And I’m just supposed to deal with that? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?”

As she worked herself into a frenzy, tears began to fall from her eyes. She hated fighting. She hated being mad at Resplendence, and that Res was mad at her. “We wanted you to be Moon Doctor again,” she started, her sniffling voice all but a whisper this time. “I was coming to find you, to ask you.” Slowly, she reached forward again, her hoof lingering in the air as she tried to decide if she should move closer again. “I don’t want to fight Res,” she said, almost defeated. “Don’t hate me. I’m sorry. I can’t change what happened, but I’m here now. Talk to me… tell me how you’ve been feeling.”

Fluffing his feathers upon her back, Khan waited with bated breath, his body still as a statue. Would the pink woman accept the apology? For his bonded’s sake, he hoped so.

Resplendence

Things got busy. Excuses. Pain. And the step backwards was only mirrored with Kahlua's step forward. And then, it turns deep. Very, very deep. She talks about stress, much as Kaj had, and she feels sick. The anger radiates off of both of them, and as she talks about the Moon Goddess being the murderer Res freezes. "She's… coming to our lands? We can't protect ourselves if she comes to our lands!" she chokes as Kahlua's eyes brim with tears only to have her talk about the promotion Kaj had said Kahlua would be giving her.

But she can't be mad. She can't keep directing this anger at Quilyan at the family that she had left. And, as Kahlua reaches forward this time, Res clambers forward. Her injured limb dealing with the pain still as she had only taken the time to splint up Valiance (deeming herself worthy of the pain that she had for taking out her anger on Kaj). She clings to her sister and bawls, trying to hide her face in Kahlua's chest as the mare apologizes, wanting her to talk to her and explain.

"W-why is Quil gone? Why would he leave me? Did I do something wrong? Did I fail everyone? Did he realize I wasn't worth it?" she splutters, body trembling. "I don't hate you." she whispers, eyes lingering up after a few moments. "I just… I was trying to protect myself… from being knocked down twice… from being shoved aside by Quil… and then by my sister and brother," she whispers, eyes looking around the forest outside the Edge.

But she clenches her teeth, swallowing. "Kah… how can we worship someone who caused those murders? How can we let her in? It goes against our beliefs. We want peace and life… not war and death…" How could their patron goddess be so against what made them who they were? She breaks, looking back to the shattered wall that she couldn't really see. "We have tell them. We have to warn the Edge. We can't… we can't just let a murderer walk in…"

She's half torn between her own problems, and Kah's. She doesn't know what matters more. Should she push them down and let her pain continue to simmer? Or should she let them out and focus solely on the fact that the Goddess was banished and sent to their forest…

She didn't know what to do. But she just knew she needed it all to work.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Res’ words on the Moon Goddess were the truest that Kahlua had ever known, and the feeling that she had been trying to find words for since she had found out about the Lady Moon. Can’t protect ourselves. Kahlua knew that. She knew it so much that it hurt her- all she wanted to do was keep the little herd she had left safe and happy. Could she lie to them and tell them everything would be alright, when the Moon Goddess would be wandering their lands? The Edge was big, but not that big… they couldn’t avoid her forever.

But, in the moment that Res rushed forward, nothing mattered to the queen anymore. Her friend was there, pressing against her, and the Sunshower pressed her nose and neck and everything else that she had back against her sister. And though Kahlua had yelled at Res, in some ways she knew that Res was right as well. The painted woman could have gone in search of her, could have tried to find her in the shadows or ask her what was wrong when they had been trying to solve the murder mystery. She hadn’t- and in that respect, she had failed in her duties.

Perhaps she had just assumed that Res was strong enough to handle it. As for Quilyan… the queen didn’t even know what to say. Why had he gone? It was a question for the ages, a question that the queen could not answer. Kaj had known the specter better than she had, and if he had given the Stormbringer a reason for his absence, it had not been shared with Kahlua. Res’ tears ran on as she spoke, but Kahlua did not try to stop them. Tears were the best way to express emotion, to get out stress and relieve the pain that built up within. She understood, and she let Res cry and talk, and ask questions that Kahlua would never be able to answer.

In the end, with so many questions presented to her, the queen wasn’t even sure where to start, but she had to start somewhere. So she just said what was in her heart… it was a lot. “I don’t know why he left, Res. I don’t know why he would want to be apart from you. You’re so smart, and I’ve never met someone more loyal to their family. Maybe… Maybe we could talk to Reeni. She might know.” A frown crossed the mare’s lips- another friend that she had been apart from too long.

“I’m sorry Res, I never wanted to let you down like that either. I love you. You’re amazing, and whenever I have problems I know I can come to you for answers.” Managing to laugh just a little bit, she turned her head back towards the scar that remained across her left hip. “Remember when we fixed that?” she asked, knowing of course that Res would. That was the first time they had met, and the last time they had ever called each other stranger. “You haven’t failed anyone. We all just got a little lost along the way. Be our Moon Doctor again… please?” The queen’s blue eyes went back to her friend, begging her to say yes.

“And I don’t know what to do about her, Res. I’ve been thinking about it since I found out. She’s always been so kind to us- She promoted me and Kaj, she gives all of us our powers, she’s given me and the herd more advice than I ever would have thought possible… But then she does this…” She sighed. There was too much here to sort out, and she didn’t even know where to begin. “But you’re right, we have to tell them…”

Resplendence

They clung to each other as if their lives were depending upon it. Res pressing her maw, her entire body up against the other mare's chest. You see, Kahlua was just tall enough that she could fit in that crevice and hide. She could cling to the last shreds of hope in a friendship that she had and plead for Quilyan to return - to not have broken her.

She was grateful, though, that Kahlua allowed her to sob. That was she allowed to fall apart and ask questions that no one else could answer except Quilyan himself. And, when she is done, it is Kahlua who speaks, saying that she doesn't know. "Th-thank you." she whispers first before her mind starts to search for who this 'Reeni' might be. The only name even relatively close to it is Nasreen and she shakes her head. "If 'Reeni' is Nasreen she doesn't know. And she hates me - blames me for taking her brother… probably says its my fault for causing him to leave too… I was looking for him in the Forest… and she was in shock as well that he was gone and hadn't returned…" she chokes out, a few more tears falling.

And Kahlua says she's sorry, that she loves her and trusts her. A weak smile spreads across her maw. "I love you too," she whispers before nodding her crown at the question about the scar across Kahlua's haunches. She says that she hasn't failed anyone, and that they all just got lost along the way. "Yes… I will." she says, taking the position upon her shoulders again - but stronger than she was when it originally had happened. She could carry the burden, and she would keep that purpose under her grasp for as long as she could. "I just… I wish we hadn't gotten lost. Our family - it's not the same," she chokes, sadness in her voice as she shudders and allows Kahlua to speak up once more.

The Goddess, the one who had murdered all of those souls was going to be residing in the Edge. She was against all that they held themselves to be…

And Kahlua, she seems to conflicted - only managing to agree that the herd needed to know. "She gives us powers that suit her." Res says, eyes trailing across her sisters flesh as she steps away, strong enough now to know that she wouldn't collapse on the spot if she left her sister's embrace. "If I wanted healing magic of my own… the way that I wanted it, permanent regardless of herd affiliation and Gods' graces. It wasn't dark enough for her. She said I had to leave the Edge to get it - right when we were all being sent into the darkness of the caves, when our family needed everyone the most. I couldn't leave, I couldn't do it to my family. She only gives you power that suits her." She shakes her head and takes in a deep breath. "She lets us live in these lands for her own gain. At least… that's what I've come to believe after being told that…"

Would Kahlua understand? Would she be willing to see that the Moon Goddess wasn't completely good? She represented the darkness, and Res had put all of her faith into the Queen of the night - as she had put it all into Mirage. But, the Goddess wanted her to leave and with Mirage gone, she wasn't sure if she trusted the Moon Goddess as much anymore. And with the murders? It was chipping away at the blind faith she had started out with.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Thank you. Kahlua wasn’t even sure what Resplendence should be thankful for. The queen was all but useless, had said nothing, had no answers, had no words of wisdom or advice. She knew plenty about broken hearts, but not because her love was too far away. Her love was suffocating her, here too much, too close, too… everywhere. Too full of feelings that she didn’t know what to do with, too full of ideas about the future that she couldn’t be a part of. Too much- and she couldn’t do anything to stop it. How could she help Resplendence, when her own problems were so very different?

“Oh,” she stuttered out uselessly to Resplendence, a frown crossing her lips. How had she not known about Nasreen and Resplendence? She supposed it had just been so long since she had seen either of them… But two of her best friends, and they were at odds with one another? The queen… she just couldn’t have it. It hurt her very heart to think of it. Still, it wasn’t to be fixed now. Another time, perhaps. “I’m sorry Res. It’s not your fault. I’m sure Nasreen is just upset too, she didn’t mean it.” She tried to soothe with her gentle coo, not knowing whether the words she spoke were true or false.

“But I’m glad to have you back, Doctor.” A gentle smile widened her lips, although it would not stay there long. Resplendence was so much more insightful about the Lady Moon, thoughts that Kahlua would not have dared to think on her own. And then there was the story of Res’ quest. Leave the Edge? Why would the Moon ask her to do such a thing? It just didn’t make sense… What had been a smile became a frown. “I’m glad you didn’t leave. I can’t believe she asked you to do that.

Everything is just so… Your quest, poor Gaucho, the darkness and the insincerity… Res. What are we going to do? If we don’t stay here… where would we go?”
Her mind whirls and thinks, but there is nowhere. Her herd, her people… She cannot take them to another herd for Asylum. There are too many who have worked too hard for their ranks. She cannot ask them to give them up. If they went to the Throat or the Falls, they would all have to start again under the rule of another. The Basin was not an option. And the wilds? No protection, no homes, no magic… no ranks. The Edge was the only place they could go, and the only place they needed to escape from.

Still, perhaps Res had an answer that Kahlua did not. Where would they go? She waited.

Resplendence

Kahlua tries to make up for Nasreen. But, she didn't think anyone could. The mare blamed her, and she could understand it. At times she blamed herself for Quilyan's absence, and it was what burned her soul the most.

Still, she accepted the Moon Doctor position once more - a wave of relief crashing against her bones as the reminder that she really was useful sun throughout her mind. But, she had to explain what she knew about the Moon God to Kahlua - how she had been told to leave when she was needed the most, and how she couldn't bring herself to do that even now. Kahlua says that she was glad Res didn't leave - but now, with the Goddess coming into their lands as a murderer she wasn't sure that she should have… stayed. She swallows, and before she can speak, Kahlua is speaking again.

She asks where they would go if they didn't stay here and Res can only sigh. "No where… unless we invade. And that's against our ideals. We are stuck - and we can only hope that she doesn't take this out on us next." There is a sigh, eyes closing. The Goddess seemed to want the weak of heart gone, or to at least turn to steel. "We will have to be strong- we will have to unite," Res explained, eyes lingering upon the dark mare's coat. "Come, let's go back into the Edge. Rest a little. You can hide in my canopy if you need to." She says, attempting to usher her sister back into the somewhat safe herd-lands. They needed rest and they needed to completely think it over, that was all that was left to do.

When I'm ready to fall
With love