the Rift

[OPEN] A Raid in the Eyrie

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera
Tallsun had come to the Throat with an unexpected fury. All across the desert, the mighty sun beat down and by midday the heat was almost unbearable anywhere outside the shade of the oasis. Perhaps wiser creatures might have been content to remain home and hunker down to beat the heat but, Megaera still had some wising up to do. Just a sweep of the northern border was all she intended when she had risen in the early morning. Just a quick check and she’d return to the shade, she told herself, but the sun had reached its peak and Meg still flew lazily along the coast. Where the canyon once had been was now mostly a stretch of sandy shore, but there were placed the old red rocks rose high above the water, a jarring cliff between land and sea. It was at one of these craggy cliffs that Megaera found a life-changing pile of mud and twigs jammed onto a jutting rock, and on that wide nest (for a nest it had once been) was a scene of carnage.

Meg had been listlessly floating on thermals, enjoying the cooling breeze of the ocean when the nest had caught her attention. It was an awful sight, about forty meters in front of her. The structure of sticks was half torn away, hanging over the crashing waves below and there were feathers everywhere, some white, but others of black and a rich brown that matched her own wings almost exactly. Not carcass had been left, but there were smears on the rock of a darker red than earth. In the center, a pile of speckled white eggshells lay, crushed, their contents long sucked away by some nasty predator. It wasn’t a pleasant sight overall, and it had been a while, from the looks of things, since there was anything Meg could have done. Shaking her head in pity for the departed family there, the mare decided it was past time that she be headed back to the oasis. A shift of feathers and she altered course to head inland, passing directly over where the nest had sat.

If she hadn’t looked down again at the exact right moment, the warrior would have missed the smooth pale curve of the unbroken egg. It was a second before Meg realized exactly what she had seen and she finally came down into a skidding landing (though she was getting better at those) Already 50 feet from the edge of the cliff, she immediately about-faced and marched back. Using a good deal more caution than she normally did and not enough as she probably should have, Megaera stood at the precipice and craned her neck over the brink to look down again. It must have been nudged, rolled away and then forgotten about in the activity that had crushed its two fellows. The egg was not even as big as her hoof, and it lay tucked in a shady corner of the cliff face half-covered in feathers. Surely whatever life insie of it was gone by now, the mare thought with a twinge of sadness. It the trauma of the attack hadn’t dome it than surely this heat, it had been exposed to long. With a sigh, Meg made to turn away, already shuffling her wings in preparation to return to the sky.

She stopped.

Even in the years to come she would never be able to describe what had made her hesitate. The strange feeling that her conscious mind could hardly sense, that… tug upon her heart that mad her turn back. The darkly crowned head lifted and black eyes caught a swife glimpse of the wonferful and terrible sun that ruled this land as she considered. Reason told her to go on, to find some shade and some water…Meg rarely cared much for reason at this point in her life. With almost an exasperated sigh, she turned and peered over the edge again. The little white thing was only about three feet down, could she reach it? Well, no reason not to try now, she told herself. Slowly, carefully, the rough and tough fighter settled herself delicately on her knees above the cliff-face. Flakes of sand and small stones crumbled away as she leaned her neck down and over. Behind her, her massive wings stretched back for a counterweight.

This was a really stupid idea.

- - -

Notes: Egg Finding!!
Tags: @[Hertz] because semper said she wanted to crash <3
faithful like a soldier
Image Credit
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Hertz Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3 :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
Semper

Hertz

My adventures were beginning to bore me. I wanted to badly to get off of the Throat and go harass others that didn't worship the Sun as we did, but the fact that I ate so often still was ruining my chances of that. Surely once I was happy with doing more than just gnawing on the stalks of grass then I could skip away happily and meet someone new. Speaking of meeting someone new, that was another thing I was tired of. I wanted to do something other than stand around and talk until I was old and grey, I wanted adventure. But so far it seemed everything I did was a damn meet and greet, even though Isara and Cirrus were the only ones I really cared for after my meetings.
They had both seemed quite interesting, at least more so than the red giant and the black and gold who turned out to be my father. A scowl crossed my navy features as I wondered how I could be related to someone who didn't appreciated Cirrus' beauty. I mean come on old man, the lady looked like the sky!! What was better than that?? I shook my skull roughly as I continued walking out towards the cliffs where all the birds lived, flying wasn't an option for me just yet but one day I would be able to fly with them. For now just watching their flips and tricks through the air would suffice.
It seemed I wasn't the only one here with a desire to watch the birds as I drew closer I watched a bay pegasus land and then spin around to hang off the edge of the cliff! My infantile mind didn't think that maybe the bay was doing this on purpose, for some kind of reason that was unknown to me, instead it switched and instantly I was swearing that the mare was about to fall to her death. Her wings would be unable to catch her and she would meet the horrid fate of crashing into the ocean where she would die. A stain of red in the murky green-blue water would be all that was left. A squeal broke free of my navy stained lips as I raced forwards full speed ahead in the direction of the kneeling bay.
Orange and maroon banded wings struck outwards awkwardly as spindly limbs carried my small frame forwards before leaping into the air where I would hopefully land on the mare and drag her back to safety. I would be a hero! The whole herd would know my name! Hertz the Hero I could hear my name being chanted in the wind as I called out to the mare, just moments before my mass would land on her's, if she hadn't moved already. "Don't worry! I'll save you!!"

"talk talk talk"
Tag;; @[Megaera]
Words;; 481
Notes;; e.e he's a turd

image credit

Megaera
Just a little farther… Meg thought as she leaned out over the rocky edge. It was a test in balance now, stretching her neck down to where she would be able to lift the egg from it’s hiding spot. For every inch her head moved beneath her, the solid placement of her body on the cliff side felt a little less secure. Pebbles crumbled away where she pressed against the ledge, falling to sprinkle the ruined nest of falling past it into the churning sea below. This was also a test of patience, and that was even more difficult for the impulsive warrior, but she could do it if she just moved very very slowly…

‘Don't worry! I'll save you!!’ She heard the shout, bold and excited, but in the precarious position she was in, the mare only had time to begin to pull her head back up and realign her center of gravity before she felt the weight of a spindly little body land upon her back. The impact punched the air out of her in a grunting “Oughf!” Before she could fully register what was on her back her wings were flaring out for balance if whatever this projectile was tried to push her over the edge, though they turned out to also make a makeshift net to protect the child from rolling over himself.

When she was sure she wasn’t going anywhere just then, Meg whipped her head around to see what was going on, ready to yell at some idiot. The sight that met her angry eyes though, was just the thing to soften them. The sight of the orange-banded colt perched proudly on her own back, unexpected as it was, and now as she was able to absorb the meaning his little shout was downright hysterical. A throaty laugh came out as her face broke into the indulgent grin that all the little Throatlings pulled out of her so easily. “My hero!” she exclaimed in exaggerated praise.

As he was still just a babe, his weight on her back was not all that uncomfortable after the initial impact, so she didn’t seek to push him off right away. She did glance to either side, ready to move if he looked like going over himself. Those little wings didn’t look big enough for flight just yet, and she’d be a poor soldier to let the children of her herd come to harm. “I am Meg, a Throat warrior, though you seem to have the makings of a fine warrior yourself! May I know the name of my gallant rescuer?”

- - -

Notes: sorry for being a slow turtle
Tags: @[Hertz]
faithful like a soldier
Image Credit
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Absent Abyss
Semper

The surprising sound of the bay's mixture of shock and words slid from her mouth in an nearly amusing way as my weight was suddenly upon her back. Nearly instantly I realized how big of a mistake I had made, the mare's balance hadn't been anywhere good enough for the added weight I added. Ears stained around the edges in navy slammed back into tangled tresses while baby blues widened and all of the muscles in my infantile frame tensed up, surely this was how I was going to die. And I would be taking the poor bay mare along with me.
It seemed the bay beneath me was much wiser than I was, and the way her wings spread out majestically saved the two of us from our untimely doom. I wasn't quite sold though, wide, blues turned ever so slightly to look down and past the mare's terra-cotta winged shoulder only to make contact with the rocks and raging waves beneath us (since it was a calm day it's likely these raging waves were simply baby waves, but give me a break). A childish squeal broke through my stone-cold warrior facade as regret and worry bubbled up inside of my small frame, oh why oh why had I decided to go on a real adventure today?! Wasn't bothering new comers enough excitement?
Before I had a chance to collect myself and scramble backwards off of the bay who's life I had unknowingly just endangered rather than saved, I was met by the black eyes of the pegasus who's back I was riding. A small, sheepish grin tugged at the corners of my navy lips while my bolted skull dipped ever so slightly only to be returned upright with a broad grin almost instantly as her words flowed easily into the salty air. “My hero!” My chest puffed out with happiness at the praise I had gained from the strange adult who enjoyed hanging off of cliffs in her spare time. Shaking my head slightly I allowed a snort to escaped from paper thins before my boyish voice was released to race towards her own dark rimmed ears. "Didn't your ma tell you to not hang off cliffs?!" Baby blues narrowed as if it were normal for a child to be scolding an adult rather than the other way around, a second snort tore off into the salty air while I stood there proudly awkwardly on this mare's muscular back. One day when I was older this sort of phenomenon would be much more...welcomed and hopefully a bit more graceful than this situation had been.
I balanced carefully, downy wings plastered to my sides as if making myself more aerodynamic would make it so I could teeter a little more gracefully on the mare's back as her voice filled the air once again. “I am Meg, a Throat warrior, though you seem to have the makings of a fine warrior yourself! May I know the name of my gallant rescuer?” My feathers ruffled happily as the mare praised me once again, being a strong warrior was something I looked forward to as I grew older. Maybe one day I would be as important to the herd as da was! Or even as strong as our great and fearless leader the Wildfire, but the first option was probably more likely than the second...nobody would ever be as powerful as the dun. Bolted, navy features bobbed up and down in a greeting as infantile vocal chords began to shake and shiver words out once more. "Pleased to meetcha Miss Megaera! I am Hertz, do ya mind telling me how to get down from here?" While the words tumbled forwards my attention was turned to the red sanded world around us, if I were to just attempt to jump from the mare's back I would surely cause damage to one or both of us. If I didn't send her balance off kilter once again and send her down into her briny death.

"Speech."
Tag | @[Megaera]
Words | 684
Notes | Sorry it took me so long to reply! And sorry he's a bit too big for his britches xD

hertz
if your legs don't work
Image Credits

Megaera
"Didn't your ma tell you to not hang off cliffs?!" The answer to that was definitely ‘no’. In fact, Megaera’s mother hadn’t told her much of anything so far as she could remember. If she strained her memory, Meg could recall vague flashes of the skinny, flighty creature who had birthed her, but she could recall no words of wisdom. She’d been a glossy flash in the tundra summer and gone before Megaera’s first snow, and that was all.

I was a lucky thing that the rambunctious colt carried on with his cheerful introduction, it forestalled the surge of old angers from the mare and kept her focus on the present rather than her own history best forgotten. The little one perched on her back, as newly met as he was, meant so much more to the warrior than the her absentee mother; he was the here and now, part of the family she had chosen. One that had chosen her right back instead of tolerating her as an unwanted burden. “Actually…” she said slowly, thinking fast in response to his request. She glanced back over the edge (in spite of this distraction, she still had to get that egg) and back at him with a miscevious grin. She’d been so close when he’d ambushed her, but now he might be just the thing she needed.

It was perhaps a bit risky, but the warrior was confident in her abilities and, judged the weight on her back carefully. If he cooperated, it might be just the counterweight to secure her balance as she reached over and grabbed the egg out of the nest. “If you could stay a minute you could help me on a rescue mission.” She narrowed a serious eye at the colt, he clearly liked to play the hero. “If you can stay very, very still right where you are, you could keep me from going over while I pull up out treasure, eh?” She waited for the affirmative then turned her head back down towards the cliff.

She reached quickly, not thinking the excited boy would stay still too long, but still trying to move gently. Her head snaked over the edge and down, reaching to clasp the spotted egg in her teeth. With the boys small weight added to her other side, the motion was not nearly as treacherous as her first attempt had been and she was pulling her little prize up in a matter of seconds. “Ta-da!” she said, looking brightly up at the colt after setting the egg in the red sands at her side “One babe, safe and sound!” She considered how best the get the other down from her back and figured she would be glad to take the pinch. “Now Hertz, tuck your wings in tight to your sides in case you go rolling and go ahead and step down. Mind your footing and I’ll mind the rest.” No doubted she’d have a bruise or two along her spine or rump from his little hooves, but as long as the child didn’t break anything of his, they’d be alright.

Notes: destined to be a slow thread lol
Tags: @[Hertz]
faithful like a soldier
Image Credit
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Absent Abyss
Semper

I hardly noticed the bay mare's hesitation at my question about her mother's teachings as I continued on with my childish rambling. Suddenly it didn't matter to me if Megaera's ma didn't teach her what was considered safe and what was dangerous, all I wanted to do was get down off of her back and go back to the exploring that I had planned out for the day. Getting stuck on someone's back was not on the top of my list of things to-do, but I would laugh about it later when I was older and thinking back on how I met the bay mare. But for now I was too busy thinking about how fun it would be to just tuck and roll off of the mare's spine. Navy harks flicked around as baby blues locked in on the hard ground beneath the two of us, my mind made up that I was going to do this when the mare's voice broke through the child-like insanity.
“If you could stay a minute you could help me on a rescue mission. If you can stay very, very still right where you are, you could keep me from going over while I pull up out treasure, eh?” Instantly I was distracted from the crazy idea as a new kind of fun was offered on a silver platter by my platform. Baby blues widened with overwhelming excitement while my slender infantile chest puffed up in a show of pride and strength. Orange bolted features nodded once with enthusiasm at the idea of being the bay's hero once again, I had just saved her from a briny death and now I could help her get whatever treasure it was she had been trying to reach for. We were pirates! An unbeatable duo that would scour the whole earth (or at least just the island) and gather all of the bountiful treasures to be found. Smiling widely I took a gentle step back so my balance would be better suited on the mare's hips while I awaited the next order of business.
As soon as I stopped moving the mare began moving, her movements quick and if I hadn't been mostly prepared for them I probably would have been thrown off of her side into the hot sands we thrived on. A soft gasp was sucked in between slightly parted kissers while I waited for the mare to pull herself back up and away from the dangerous cliff edge. How was I being a hero standing here? Shouldn't I be down there helping her with whatever it was that she was doing? I didn't have long to mull over my musings before the mare popped back up from her awkward downward-dog position, the sudden movement causing my downy wings to fling out to the sides so I could keep my balance. “Ta-da! One babe, safe and sound! Now Hertz, tuck your wings in tight to your sides in case you go rolling and go ahead and step down. Mind your footing and I’ll mind the rest.” A broad grin spread across my handsome features while I did as the older woman said in order to hop off of her. I was as careful as a young boy could be, trying to be mindful of the mare as I stepped without hesitation off of her back and landed in a pile of knees and wings in the hot sand, giggling like an idiot. "That was fun! We should try it again sometime!!" Childish lyrics squealed with excitement before the smooth treasure in the red sands caught the corner of my eye and drew my attention away from thinking up ways to get back on the mare's spinal cord once again. Instead my mind was focused entirely on the egg resting happily, and much safer on the top of the cliff rather than on the side. A snort blew through navy paper thins as I untwisted my limbs from their jumbled mix and took a careful step closer to the treasure. "What is it?!" As soon as the last word fell from my jaws my skull was dropped close to the treasure and my salmon tongue was reaching out to swipe across it. Paper thins scrunched up in disappointment, the treasure wasn't even tasty! What kind of treasure was it!?

"Speech."
Tag | @[Megaera]
Words | 739
Notes | I'm so sorry I took so long! I am trying to catch up on replies now!

hertz
if your legs don't work
Image Credits
Please tag me in all posts!