the Rift

[OPEN] Get it Poppin'

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

Her heart beat in time to the pounding of both hoof and padded paw as the pair moved easily across one land and into the next. In retrospect, they were slow-going, but a raging fire of adrenaline and tension nonetheless. It had been weeks since Essetia had faced Midas in the practice arena and her recovery had been swift thanks to the healing magic of their medic, but the ghostly scars remained unseen. Perhaps it was their memory that unsettled the girl or perhaps it was the passion they had evoked. Either way, she was left feeling disoriented and restless… Inside there was a new and tender flower grown in place of her previous fears- one made of hardened resolve and determination. She wasn’t quite sure how to apply this newfound willpower and settled for physical exertion to temper the surplus of emotion. Yet, it did little to relieve the maddening circling of her thoughts.

Romul had tried time and again to soothe his companion, but after countless failed attempts, he too began to distance himself from her mind. Instead, they both took pleasure in the miles travelled throughout Helovia in order to exhaust the pent up frustration that followed in the wake of battle. It had been the mare’s first taste of sheer, unleashed, primal desire and now it appeared to them a drug-like addiction, a need for more.

However, that was not something Essetia wished for. She longed to dirty her hands with task and yet had nothing in which to actually do. Perhaps that was why she had taken such delight in the rush of skin and the working of bone… Whether that would be the death of her virgin honor she couldn’t be certain, but there was a definite need to lay waste to her guilty pleasure. One way or another, Essetia would regain whatever innocence she’d shed through the merging of blood and dirt. It was simply just a matter of when.

Since leaving Helovia, a great many things had changed- things that ranged from the citizens themselves to the landscape. Essetia could only imagine that those changes to the earth had been courtesy of the Gods, but she’d yet to fully understand it all. Upon seeing herself from the Falls, she and Romul had moved toward the southwest. They had no particular destination in mind and were pleasantly surprised by a few new things along the way and yet… nothing compared to stumbling across the Heart Caves. There was certain darkness that emanated from the depths of the fiery pit and at first the mare and her wolf almost decided against exploring the ominous hollow just beyond. However, with restlessness coursing hot and heavy within her veins, Essetia stepped forward and led the way into the shadowy cavern.

Romul was hesitant to follow and voiced his concerns softly from behind, but soon his wails were multiplied throughout the dark corridors. Various copies of his plaintive moans beckoned from the cave’s deep halls and put the wolf on edge. “Ess…” he complained. However, the mare would not listen and instead turned to give him a stern glare. “Calm down, it’s okay,” she attempted to soothe. It did little to ease the nervous predator, which in turn forced his companion’s heart to race in response. The two shared everything together, yet at times Essetia considered it a burden. It made her heart wrench when Romul was upset and it often deterred her from the many things that excited her.

The wolf was a cautious creature and nearly always found a way to keep Essetia out of harm’s way, but it had been the price they both paid after living all those years in the Wilds. Perhaps it was time they both learned to walk without the fear of running… It was time they faced life head-on and without regret.
essetia & romul

@[Reginald]

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Reginald Posts: 165
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 3 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Ka'Mate :: Harpy Eagle :: None & Ka'Ora :: Harpy Eagle :: None M.E.

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

Scents are captured in a cavernous expanse—as the Grey-Eye’d prince found to his constant chagrin. Always this place reeks with multitudes, vermin who crowd here, who have crowded here in years passed. The warmth of a lava-laced pit excites him terribly, yet it is tainted with the disgust of the need to share this space. He spits and curses all who dare upon this place; his pastime is spent imagining the purge of all from here, and how sweet it would be to sing his fangs into stringy horse-flesh and taste the screaming pulsing through the air…

…he cocks an ear. Listening.

He hears someone coming –bumbling down from the surface. He scowls to himself, wondering if he should allow them further into this place—for his imagination has run rampant, and his blood thrums with the challenge of it, the need to expel a foreign, ugly presence from this place. Then, he smells her, long before she comes into view. He only detects her by way of the heat that seems to pulse underneath her scent, the hint of sweat and some kind of stress amplifying the subtle, crucial strains of woman.

He has grown fond of such things. Attuned to them, even, since the night he pulverized the black wretch of a thing. It had been the spark of an addiction coursing through his veins, dependence and newfound taste for a sort of flesh he had not known existed.

It rises now, within him. He fixes the scowl on his face—for he knows flighty females, and how they skitter and moan and bitch at sense.

He surveys the lava pouring incandescent from behind the sparkling crystal wall. He waits for her to approach—to come further into the snake pit. He cocks a rear hoof, and he appears relaxed, he seems tranquil, and his body is aflame.

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

--Please tag REGINALD in every reply!

--All force is allowed to be used against this character!

One pale ear dips to touch his wolfish skull and Romul is aware of the male’s presence. It is his breathing and his scent that alerts the canine before his fairer companion. A small snarl escapes him and he is once again rigid, mimicking the pair’s encounter with Ignatius in the Arch. However, Essetia is not yet disarmed and their descent into the cavern continues, albeit slowly. Their shadows grow long across the cave walls and transform into long, slender, beasts unrecognizable to any but the darkness itself. Had they known they were wandering into Reginald’s lair, they would have turned back long ago in favor of maintaining whatever sense any common creature might rationally nurture.

Of course, Essetia had taken to digging holes much too deep for she and Romul to escape as of late. It was something that past grievances had inspired and the young Sleuth was hell-bent on overcoming the challenges she’d come to and would soon face. Yet, nothing could have prepared her for the creature looming just ahead and upon reaching him, she was urged to make an about-face, see her way back to the entrance of the hall. This was no longer a situation where the mare and her companion had stumbled upon a young colt incapable of defending himself against an adult female. This creature appeared a more threatening entity than the youthful, dark prince…

After all, how would one feel about encountering the likes of such a man in the depths of the Heart Caves? Romul continued to growl and snap in usual fashion, but Essetia was quick to silence him. She was not unafraid of the stud at face-value, but the setting in which their meeting transpired raised the hairs at the mare’s back. He appeared more predatory than humane and for that reason Essetia didn’t want to risk offending him or allowing Romul to do so. What did they know of him after all? Caution played an important role in meeting new creatures, but it appeared almost necessary now.

There was something primal about him, a watchful eye that seemed to penetrate to the Sleuth’s soul. It was enough for her to stiffen and quiet, uncertain. “You look formidable,” she stated evenly. There’s not much else she can offer with her mind so blank and shaky.
essetia & romul

@[Reginald]

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

Something burns in her air, crackling around her as she descends further, further down into the cavern. Grey eyes flick down to a mutt that rumbles with an idiotic threat—and the mare has sense enough to hush it, to save it from the sharp edge of hoof and pride. A mare indeed (his senses have proven him right), a much larger mare than he anticipated. Perhaps he has been conditioned by the scrawny things he has come to see lately, to expect something small and brittle.

She is none of those things. His glance is a quick one, sweeping over her body in one subtle blink—for he has grown wary of his own habit for scrutinizing the female form, and he is not so quickly tired of this game, as yet. There is…a hearty curve to her features that he has found himself to have a taste for, her bay hide clothing a frame that may not be as large as he may warrant, yet still moves with a power and grace in her ligaments that tempers the annoyance he may have with her sex. It is true that something disgusting mars the ridges of a face that may have been pretty, at some point—though he is not overly offended by the odd splashes of white. Besides, that is not the end of her that he is the most interested in.

With a flash of grey, he peers at her—turning away from the wall of crystal and lava, to gaze at her a little better, to meet her formally. His brows rise slightly, his features cool, impassive…interested. She tells him he seems formidable, and it coaxes an easy smile from him, handsome and dark, teeth set white against a mouth that is black and so often wicked. He knows the female is calmed with a smile—and yet, the grin is more genuine that he would have liked to admit. For inwardly, his ego purrs with her prodding, and agrees with her: he is formidable.

You look….”Delicious. But he does not finish that thought; instead he seems to peer closer at her, the grin falling, the brow furrowing as he allows himself to drink in her appearance again, concerned and watchful. “…bothered.” It comes out in a tentative, inquiring sigh; he tilts his head, curious. Her scent lingers (delicious and female) and he wonders if she had run here. “What bothers you?”

He notices the green in her scent; hills and meadows, someplace lush and bountiful. “The Falls…” he whispers, as if lost in contemplation, “…do you hail from the Falls?”

Then he laughs, suddenly; gentle and masculine, he takes a casual step to his right, walking along the wall of transparent crystal. “Forgive me,” he says, dashing and light, “I shouldn’t be asking these questions so soon…” He supposes a dare wouldn’t hurt—after all, if he is so successful, it would not matter if she knew is name. “I am Reginald,” he offers, a gentleman’s tone. Now you know what you’ll be screaming later. “You are…?”

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Foul beast-,

Romul’s accusations were nothing new to me and though I tended to brush them aside, I was suddenly more inclined to hear them… as cold and thoughtless as they were. I’d always been a skeptical creature, a real master of the art… Yet, I couldn’t seem to find a good way to deal with this dapper, young fellow. I was almost convinced that even the sun would find ways to avert its rays from such a beast, but somehow I was incapable of heeding my own advice. Leaving would have been the right thing to do, the correct answer to any of his questions, but maybe I needed a little darkness in my life. Or maybe a swift kick to the head.

Becoming a Sleuth had done something to my ego… there was certainly no denying that. It had transformed innocence into arrogance and allowed me to climb a pedestal that even my Father would commend. Of course, his “holier than thou” attitude deserved no seat at my table and I would see to it that our situation remained that way. On some other plane, one that existed solely in my head, this was just another way of transforming myself into an independent, self-efficient machine.

Yet somehow it was hard to escape my own emotions as they were an overpowering force that flooded me and infiltrated my defenses. Fear, anger, happiness, and hate all melded and joined together to create the perfect storm. Despite my being unable to see it, I was becoming a hurricane incapable of slowing down… Somehow the downward spiral was comforting though; I was tired of grappling along the cusp of honor and deceit.

I was happy to leave my morals behind in favor of losing myself to the unforeseen and this man’s easy smile. Call me predictable, call me what you will, but I was certain that dancing along the edge of right and wrong was the only way I could find release anymore. Once again I was playing with a fire that, given the opportunity, would consume me… and I was perfectly fine with going down in flames.

My eyes followed the hard ridges of the male’s broad shoulders as he shifted and finally the beast graced me with the rough cadence of his voice. It was not as cold and unyielding as I’d imagined, but more so a fine silk that seemed out of place upon his lips. However, his calculating stare did little to soothe the racing of my heart or the way Romul hedged menacingly in the back of my mind. The wolf was certainly more privy to the stallion’s desires than I and yet I still had trouble deciphering what exactly spurred his curiously attentive gaze. “Not bothered per say, just…-” I trailed reluctantly. “-out of breath.

Was there truly any good reason to pretend that the brute didn't made me tense, nervous? After all, his observant nature had already assisted in revealing not only my wariness, but my place of refuge as well. There was little doubt in my mind that he had not come from the Falls and that fact sent a warm tremor down my spine, one comprised of fascination and the chilling barbs of fear. “It’s strange… you seem to ask questions you already know the answer to,” I replied candidly and without hesitation. “But you’re correct… I come from the Falls.

The quivering of his chest came just before the vibrant tune of his laughter and I couldn’t help but smile softly at the sound. It felt almost unnatural for such a creature to possess wit and humor in the wake of so many other menacing qualities, but of course who was I to pass judgment on the man? Despite the way he made me feel, there was something mysterious about him that I couldn’t quite reach and couldn’t quite name.

My nerves were spiked and electric despite Romul’s reassuring presence at my side. I was glad that I had at least one defense against the man, whose name was shared shortly after what appeared to be a nearly genuine apology for rushing headlong into my private life. Reginald. I tried to detect whether or not the information he revealed was false, but no amount of pressing was able to turn up a lie within his introduction. It was disconcerting.

I’m Essetia… and this is Romul.
essetia & romul

Reginald | Removed for edit.

“Not bothered per say, just…out of breath”

Hmph, he snorts lightly, shifting his shoulders; his locks tumble against the thickness of a corded neck, his forelock shifted against the bridge of his nose, casting something dark to frame his eyes. His grin falters from something cordial into something easy, an amused half-smirk that dances across the hard lines of a granite visage. He continues to stalk along the edge of the cove, his right shoulder aligned with smooth, cut rock; his steps easy, almost careless, a wide, tasteful circle around a tasty specimen of a woman that gives her space—and keeps the particulars of her frame in view.

The game becomes subtle, and he finds that he enjoys it even more.

Especially as her own lips pull into something uneasy—yet charmed.

Black-tipped ears cock to the side, and a grey gaze falls upon the wolf that hugs its master’s legs. He wonders at it, for a time. Something in the back of his mind keeps trained on this mutt, keeping note of its position, of the hairs along its angular spine. He knows it will be unsavory indeed to have to skin the bitch’s dog in front of her eyes, if he so needed. He supposes his steps will have to be even more careful, artful.

*“It’s strange… you seem to ask questions you already know the answer to…”*

Grey eyes snap back to her, dancing with a glee that could be attributed to her pleasant company, her conversation. “You smell of hills and green things,” he explains, pointing out the vibrancy in her scent that drew his attention, “scents that are somewhat out of place here, in the heat, amongst rocks. It is the only herd I know of that resides in such a place…I only guessed, is all.” He shrugs his massive shoulders; his movements remain easy and controlled. He wonders how far he would be able to push this game. “My mother….she took me there, once, when I was a boy…” he throws it from his mouth carelessly, the words unassuming, an insight to his mind that casts from his lips like bait.

Essetia, she says she is called. Hmmm, a name more gorgeous than she. Perhaps her mother had held grand expectations for the daughter she cradled in her stomach? And he also finally learns the name of the wolf as well:Romul it is called, the mutt’s name almost as ugly as its long, colorless face.

Essetia…” he breathes, smoke and snake-breath; the fang trails his lip on purpose, the voice wrapping her name in a caress that is quite deliberate. “Tell me, Essetia--but why were you running so hard from the hills and the grasslands to make yourself out of breath? You’re not in…danger, are you?” His eyes flash, and he almost loses the composer he has carefully crafted—he cannot help it, for he finds his own words delicious and clever, and her heated flesh lingers in the corners of his mind.

@[Essetia]--tagging because it's been so long! Sorry for the wait!
"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Be as it may, Reginald was something of a guilty pleasure to me. Never had I encountered such grace and devilry in one, albeit questionable, creature. He appeared a perfect mixture of darkness and class, chivalrous even, though I doubted his intentions were quite so pure. The soft lines of desire affected even him and perhaps in a more noticeably obvious manner. His steely eyes betrayed little and his pacing made me believe that he was utterly comfortable in his own skin, the skin of an arrogant beast that feasted on insecurity and fear. Had I lied about my own reservations, Reginald would have found a way to exploit them and see them to light, despite the darkness of the caves. Yet, as I’ve said, his desires had been piqued and honed by my own ability to tempt and create a situation in which he too would benefit. That’s not to say I had anything to give, but I neither had anything to take away… I would be remembered as a mere blip on his radar, a curiosity that never quite satisfied his interests.

However, it was becoming increasingly hard to say that my ideas of the man would ever quite pan out. From the subtle shift in his attentions to the sultry way in which he regarded me and even the way he regarded Romul all struck me as a some kind of façade. But, I still found myself trembling at the precipice of fear and fascination… Somehow I was content to drown in the moment, lost to the threats that lingered just beyond the rapids of our strange encounter. It was then that I averted my gaze and fixed my eyes upon the thick crystal that guarded us all from the flow of hot, molten lava. It appeared to roll over itself -once, twice, three times- before finally heaving itself into the pool of burnt crimson at its base. Soon after I’d sated my tendency toward distraction, I realized Reginald’s path -a wide circle around the cavern- and again I was forced to ponder his intent.

He was something of a predator without the claws, but a danger nonetheless. In a vain attempt to soothe my nerves, I glanced down at Romul who refused to look at anything or really anyone other than Reginald. The wolf’s golden eyes trailed the brute from one position to the next, calculating and sure, but I was feeling suddenly fearful for his safety, even more so than before. It occurred to me that there might be only one way out of the cave and only one way in, neither being an option that I favored. Slowly, it became apparent that I was no longer a slave to my own fixations, but a slave to Reginald’s. His body exuded strength and power and though I had entertained Midas for a short time in the arena, I was certain that I could not rely on my own physical strength to free me of any wrongdoings that were to follow. Perhaps it was time to start making friends

You’re awfully perceptive then and perhaps a bit intrusive,” I remarked brazenly with a small smile. “But I must ask… who was your mother?” It wasn’t like I would know much of a native Foothills mare, but there was always the slightest of chances… Helovia was often equated with the phrase ‘it’s a small world’ in same way or another. However, if Reginald’s dam was anything like her endearing son, it was likely I didn’t know her… though it certainly couldn’t keep me from acting like I did. Then again, maybe that was a game more apt for another day… and another companion.

The softest of sounds caught my attention and when I had found the courage enough to face him, I was surprised to find a mask of pleasure, divine and enchanting. Just above a full, dark lip, there protruded a single fang; it appeared to ride out the cadence of my name on a snake-like hiss and I couldn’t help but cringe. My body convulsed, torn between undying attraction and deadly, disgusted, hate. Before I could come to terms with the way I sound coming from his tongue, he rumbled on… pressing his image into my thoughts like an unwanted flower- a weed perhaps. I listened with rapt attention, turning his next words over in my head like a heavy boulder that didn’t want to budge. Danger… He asked if I’d come because I was in danger, however the only risk I’d seemed to have taken was the obvious risk of his company. “I’d like to think myself safe… overwhelmed, but safe,” I concluded softly, determined. Leave it to him to interpret my meaning and I was sure he would find ways to distort my intent… Maybe his perception was in need of change and maybe I was the one who had come to change it.

Why? Is there something I should be afraid of?
essetia & romul

@[Reginald]