the Rift

[PRIVATE] My...Preshiouuusss[Egg Hatching!]

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs
Bucephalus & Azeeza

I keep it safe within the pouch over my heart as I flee the caves, constantly dropping my muzzle to gently touch the egg-shaped leather, reassuring myself that it was fine and well. I kept my stride as smooth as possible as I head towards the oasis, but before long I seek shelter under a tree's shade, fearful not of overheating, but rather that the egg might broil at the heat.

Speaking of heat...

I look up at the sky, peering through leaves before I quickly count the days since the Festival, on the start of summer. The dates match.

It was my birthday. Four years since Telesaan's death. Three years since my beloved Aramere was slain by my own hooves, and upon that same year I reaped the lives of those that gave me life. One year since my exile from the land I would never forget.

A lump rises within my throat, and I lean heavily against the tree, head low and eyes shut. What would they think of me? My mother... she would scold me for having so many children at my age and not settling down with one. Most likely promptly throw me at some mare of her choosing. My father... I don't know. He was a stranger, he never tried to speak to me after my brother's death. Leyanna... probably would call me an old fart.

Pain.

I miss them.

I press my muzzle to the egg, throat working as I fight the stinging in my eyes. I had no right, no right to mourn them. To miss them so. Yet...I still did. My actions had changed Sehrau for the better, yes, but in doing so I lost everything and left my home torn by war. But it would rebuild, learn from our lesson that there may be peace, but always should they be ready for threats.

"Please tell me I did something right, zaklad." I breathed, my voice barely above a murmur. I did not expect the egg to answer me, merely used it for reassurance, for comfort. It gave me something to do.

Something to keep my mind off of what should be a happy occasion.

"talk talk talk"

Hey hey hey!!
Time to put your mettle to the test now!
Hey hey hey!!
Don’t you know you’re messing with the best now!
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by Tribs

Pixel by Aud

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Why am I so emotional?
No it's not a good look gain some self control

It began as most afternoons did, sunbathing. Ampere was sprawled out on the edge of the oasis, recently bathed. It was one of the best things about Tallsun, the weather. The heat slicked her coat with sweat faster than any other seasons, but the water was warm enough to spend time in, the water working out the stains of work and the grit of dirt. The darkness of her damp coat shined in the sun, the hairs sleek and thin over the refined muscle she bore for her job. She took some pride in her appearance, but hardly vain she prized practicality above beauty. As it was the side pressed into the dirt would be stained an orangey red, and she had half a mind to roll over to the other side. The scratchy sand helped relieve itches when you rolled in it just right, and wet like she was it would cling to her like a fine shield against insects.

It took effort to turn over though, and she was slipping into a warm slumber, so she remained where she was. Only the hoof steps of someone approaching roused her. Lazily one eye opened, blinking away the sunlight as she spied the gold dusted body of Bucephalus approaching. A wry smile grew on her lips, thinking of what trouble they might get into today.

The longer she watched him though, the more she realized that something was distracting him. His nose hovered over something pale and small, so focused he didn't even seem to notice her. A frown marred her facade then, neck straining to lift before she rolled to her sternum. She had seen that look before on other horses, and she hated to see it in him. Gods no, she prayed, already feeling him slip between her feathers. Anxiously she roused the rest of her body to stand, making her way towards the Chancellor with intent.

"Bucephalus?" she called to him, trying to seize his attention, even if briefly. Meanwhile her eyes strayed to the object of his possession, confirming her suspicions. Fuck! "Where did you get that?" she asked seriously, body rigid with tension and slowly churning wrath. Not Bucephalus too!

Deep down I know this never works
A M P E R E
But you can lay with me so it doesn't hurt

Blusl.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Bucephalus & Azeeza

Shockingly, I do get a reply. But it is not from the egg, no, it's from the blue mare that approaches, my name having just left those dark lips. I raise my head, quickly forcing the wetness from my gaze before greeting her with a smile. I am not surprised to see that she had been in the water, but what does surprise me is the...tension she seems to exude.

"From the caves." I gesture with a toss of my nose towards the caves, looking back at her in confusion before looking down, ears flattening back. "T'was alone...in the dark." Hindsight 20/20, taking it hadn't been such a good idea. Yet... I couldn't help it. I had felt a helplessness, a core-deep wrongness at leaving the egg alone, in the dark and cold of the cave.

If it was doomed to die, let it die against my heart and out beneath the sky.

"I couldn't leave it." I glance back down at it, making sure it's fine and safe and whole, it's opalescent beauty once again sending a flutter through my body. Perhaps I was simply shallow and took it because it was pretty. No matter.

A thought hits me, and I raise my head to look at Ampere, frowning faintly. "Is...something wrong?" I'm off-put by the tension, by the feeling I got only when I flew across the sea, far from shore, and felt a storm building beneath my wings, knowing I would have to fly it out. It was not something I had felt from Ampere, save perhaps when Hotaru had been captured and even then it had not been directed at me.

Shit. What did I do now?

Was she angry, somehow, that I had found and taken the egg? That didn't feel right... why should she care? Maybe because I took an egg from it's nest? There had been no scents, all traces were stale enough that I could barely pick up anything. Nothing had been around that egg for a long while.

That was my justification, truly, and it was shallow and fragile, childish even.

Hey hey hey!!
Hey hey hey!!

Pixel by Aud

Why am I so emotional?

She could tell by his tone that he had no full understanding of what he had found, much less what he was doing with it. In some ways that made this easier, but also pissed her off further. The fact that he would unknowingly ruin the life of whatever creature inside that egg, that his ignorance would enslave a soul, was almost too much to bear. At least most of the other idiots running around understood their actions, even if not the full weight of them - he understood nothing of them.

Her teeth clenched, a small sound squeaking out as they ground together; she imagined chewing on his head, rolling the black hairs of his coat between her molars. "Of course you couldn't," she hissed, black tail slapping her flanks with sharp anger. "How fucking kind of you to rip an egg from it's home and take it all the way back here with you, for you." She forced a smile, but it had teeth. "I'm sure whatever's inside will have no problems growing up in a desert, considering you found it in a cave. I'm sure whatever's inside needs your help to survive, doesn't it? What a good horse you are Bucephalus, so selfless."

She was handling this with worse tact than even she liked, but given the ordeal she'd just gone through with Gaucho, she didn't have the patience or the mental fortitude to hold Buce's wings through this. Like most things, if she'd handled it better she probably could have achieved results closer to what she wanted. Maybe the bond wouldn't have been avoided, it rarely was at this stage, but she could have taught Buce how to treat it with some ounce of dignity and kindness.

Now however she was almost tempted to just step on the egg and smash it.

She wouldn't though. So instead she heaved out a giant sigh, trying to restart, if it was possible. "You should leave it here. The sands will warm the egg, and fate will guide it. Surely you have enough to keep you busy that a strange egg is the least of your worries?" She paused, realizing she'd made such an ordeal he'd probably become suspicious. She needed to offer him an alternative that was more appealing than just walking away. "You can watch it hatch...over there, by the trees. With things like this though, it's best not to get in nature's way."

Unlike the gods.

A M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

Bucephalus & Azeeza

The storm broke.

Her words lashed out like whips, mocking and scolding, filled with a..contempt I never wanted to hear from her. I could not understand her anger. Yes, I took the egg from the cave, but no bird ever laid beneath the ground! "You of all should know that no creature of flight should EVER be trapped under the earth!" My own lips peel back, and I can feel Him stirring within my breast, his growing ire at the blatant, irrational anger she is hurling at us.

Yet, thankfully, before she could draw his fury up higher, her voice calms. I watch her, wary and confused, and as she speaks I look down to the egg places gently between my hooves. At some point during her rant I had set it down in case we came to blows, and now it's opal shell gleamed against orange-gold sand.

Leave it to fate.

It should be so simple, to abandon the egg and return home as if it never occurred. Yet something rebelled against that, and I nearly start in surprise when it is Him, him who destroys any thoughts of abandoning the egg. I cannot fathom why, but before I could Ampere brought up an alternative.

Once more I eye her, unsure now. Had she merely talked like this in the beginning I would merrily go, but now.... I look back down at the egg, before slowly moving away. It is like moving through thick mud, and I stop a few feet away, gaze still locked on the shell. Through sheer will I move further away, but cannot go as far as Ampere had wanted.

"I can't..." It confuses me, this hesitation, this reluctance, this near impossibility, the strange feeling of needing. I needed, wanted, to feel the egg back against my breast, over my heart where it would know it was not alone.

Nothing was worse than watching your death come to you when you are alone.

CRACK

The sound jerks me forward a stumbling step, as if I am a puppet on a string, my gaze locked upon the shell, Ampere all but forgotten in my mind. I watch, mystified, as the crack widens, grows longer until a portion of it erupts, a slimy beak jutting out from the hole. Yet... something is wrong. Instead of continuing to break the egg, the chick is still, beak open and rapid breaths drawing through the tiny mouth.

It is trapped, stuck. She is stuck. I don't know how I know, but horror roots me in place as I stare at the egg, at the chick without the strength to break free, to feel the wind on her body and see the sky above.

She was going to die, die because I was not standing by her to help her. A cry, one of fear, deep and primal escapes me as I leap forward, half-running and half-gliding to stop beside the egg. The chick is hardly moving, the faint scratches of infant talons far in between. So I gently, gingerly raise my hoof, tapping the shell. The sound seems to encourage her, and she begins scratching in earnest at the spot I had weakened.

And then, just like that, she was free. Golden eyes looked up at me, pure as liquid gold, and I can feel her... feel her in my mind. Twining through my thoughts, rooting herself deep within my heart. This presence... this presence is soothing, pure, and I welcome her with joy and relief. "Azeeza...." The name is a breath falling from trembling lips, giving title to the spirit before me.

Hey hey hey!!
Hey hey hey!!

Why am I so emotional?

His response at first startled her. Creature of flight?. She blinked, wondering if he had somehow already communicated with the creature being nurtured inside the egg. The egg in and of itself might have suggested a bird, but most animals did lay eggs, just not a lot of the fluffy ones (except with companions...).

The thought was pushed from her mind though as she attempted to convince him to walk away from it, but too late. Always too damn late. She grit her teeth, grinding them back and forth to bite down on her ire and keep it from lashing out at Bucephalus. Unable to watch this one more time Ampere averted her gaze, unwilling to see those chains gently churn and link one another together, slipping from the body inside the egg to the black breast of the Morningstar.

He runs to the newborn, so caring she couldn't stand it. What was it about companions that suddenly drew the good out of everyone? The guise of it anyway - they were so selfish they abruptly became selfless, willing to walk on fire to rescue an insignificant being if only to marge it with their existence. The very thought caused Ampere's chest to tighten, breath heavy and thick so that she had to force it out with each exhale and deeply suck in with every inhale.

The world staggered and Ampere with it. She turned away, seeking the support of the nearby tree she'd tried to take him too. She fought back the bitter, angry tears that welled in her eyes, just managing to maintain some semblance of composure. Bit by bit, she lost Bucephalus,

He named it, and he slipped away from her completely.

"You have to control yourself," she croaked after a bout of silence. Still unable to look at them, she tossed her voice to the wind. "Every feeling, every thought, it will pass between you both. Don't snuff out its life with yours... so young, so impressionable, you'll shape it, so make it good."

A M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

Bucephalus & Azeeza

Ampere's struggle was lost to me, for my attention was upon the hatchling. I drop my head, cleaning her off and rolling her out of the egg-mess, humming softly as I did so. I didn't care that I had stolen the egg from under the dark, not when the creature before me gazed up at me with such liquid gold eyes, not when I could feel her, far more intimately than I had thought possible.

At Ampere's words I raise my head, looking over my shoulder at her in confusion. Her behavior...her words... it was so odd, so confusing to me. "What do you mean? Ampere, you're utterly confusing me right now." I frown, wings rustling before I look to the hatchling, torn. I wanted to go over to Ampere, to figure out why she sounded so close to tears, yet I could not bring myself to leave the chick for even a second.

Fuck it.

I reach down, slipping my nose under the chick and lifting her, settling her upon my back before striding over to Ampere, gaze flickering over her face in concern. "All youth are impressionable, but they have their own personality." I turned to look at the resting babe, ears flicking back. "I'll tend to her until she flies, then she will leave. It's the way of her kind." I'd been around those that tamed birds and falcons, yet the thought of Azeeza leaving me was... horrible. Gut-wrenching.

Big no-no.

Which..was confusing. Hell this entire damn day was confusing.

Hey hey hey!!
Hey hey hey!!

Pixel by Aud

Why am I so emotional?

She could have drifted away in those moments, tugged by the current of the desert as it hummed in life around them. He wouldn't even have noticed, so engrossed by the hatchling which struggled to freedom from its calcium casing. She stayed though, rooted by this need to help even if it was past the point of saving. Gaucho had told her she had to do more than watch to change the world, and so had the gods. It was time to stop yelling and screaming and just expecting the change to come.

It could start here, with this awful, wonderful boy. He was still so naive to the world, almost unbearably so in this instance. Ampere could have laughed, but she was afraid the feeling would also elicit a sob, so she held onto tight to it until it fizzled out inside of her, seafoam and blood. His words extended out to her like a hand in the dark, but she shook her head, the gradual shift of her blue eyes the only return she offered.

"No," came the subtle whisper, falling with fragile strength from her lips. She shook her head again, more adamant now. She wasn't sure if it was better or worse that he didn't understand. "Bucephalus," she summoned, trying to get a hold on this situation. Her head turned, keeping him steady in the piercing intensity of her sights. "This, it is forever. The chick has bound to your soul and there will remain until one of you dies." Ampere grew quiet, the severity of her words, of his actions, leaving a somber air between them.

"You probably already feel it." She wasn't exactly sure what it was, having never bonded herself, but she knew enough about it to be disgusted. "You'll always feel each other now, connected intimately, eternally, irreversibly." Her tone saddened, once again overwhelmed by the injustice of this permanent choice. "It's powerful, so raise her like your own, if not better. Let her be herself, so that she can live, even if it's on a leash."

A M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

Bucephalus & Azeeza

I watch Ampere, her words only confusing me further. Bound to my soul, forever? I turn to look back at Azeeza, her gold eyes opening and regarding me with... wonder? I return the feeling, unable to help but brush my muzzle over the fuzz ontop of her head. If she was to be bound to my soul for as long as I lived... It seemed so much like a gift, a blessing, to have someone who could know me, know everything about me, and never judge me for it.

In all honesty it was the sole thing I craved, deep down.

Yet Ampere regarded it as if Azeeza was a curse, a parasite... Or so I thought based upon her words. I look at her, more confused than ever about all this. It was... strange. I could feel Azeeza's contentment(and growing hunger. Shit...) sliding through my mind like warm tendrils.

"That... is common sense. If she is forever bound to me, of course I will raise her well." I couldn't help the faint notes of... ferocity that slipped into my next words. "She will never be 'leashed'." My anger is not directed entirely towards Ampere. A small portion of it was, for her even considering the thought that I, of all people, would restrict a creature as free as air itself.

The rest was merely towards the sheer thought of ever limiting anything about Azeeza. It's strong enough that the feathers on my shoulders flare, bristling in agitation.

Azeeza perks up, head cocked before she shuffled over, an yanked a beakful of the feathers hard enough to make me twitch, and my head whips around to look at her, eyes narrowed. "What was that for?" She answered me with a satisfied chirp, nestling down in the feathers she just jerked. I look at her in amused confusion, then shake my head and looked back to Ampere, calmer now, and honestly really torn between laughing and being serious.

Of course laughing won out, and i covered my laugh with a cough buried in my wing. "I don't think her not being herself is a problem." Wind and Sun save me, if she was this... opinionated so young, what was she going to be like when she was grown?

Hey hey hey!!
Hey hey hey!!

Pixel by Aud

Why am I so emotional?

"Common sense most everyone lacks," Ampere muttered, unmoved by the firmness Bucephalus seemed to maintain that he would raise this chick well. She had heard it all before, but she knew the truth of the end result. This chick would probably fight for Bucephalus, carry his scars, his hurt, his everything. She would be forever weighted down by the horse she had chosen, her wings and flight a false sense of reach in a vastly shrunken world. It was a cruel thing in the most basic of forms, utterly limiting, confining, and self-serving. "There are many companions who suffer unhappiness, if not even abuse. Fighting with her is out of the question. She'd be easily hurt, sent to fight your battles which would never normally happen. Yet bonds are forged just for that purpose, to use companions as an advantage in any way possible. They're tools for most horses, if not slaves."

His naivety continued to wound her, though it was certainly refreshing compared to the assumptions so many 'learned' Helovians had when interacting with their bond. Still, her heart tore as she watched the chick and the stallion play in their own small ways, bound up in each other, as would be the case for the rest of their lives. It was hard to deny such closeness was desirable, if not fulfilling, when so many of them led tough and often lonely lives. Still, Ampere felt it was wrong merely on principle, unable to understand why the soul bond had to take place, or why it couldn't be reversed given all the power in this world she had seen.

In a cruel moment of selfishness Ampere wondered if she ought to reach her magic out and snuff out the connection between their bond. Maybe if she did it early enough it wouldn't solidify as well.. Thankfully Bucephalus' words distracted her. Besides, she didn't think her magic was strong enough to combat this.

"You'll see," was all Ampere could offer, having also been told more than one time before that the companions were still individuals. She understood that of course, we were all born with certain traits that shaped us, but how we are shaped also plays a great deal into our being. "What you say as a parent changes your foals a bit. This is even more involved. Everything you do, everything, you feel, everything you think, she will know, and it will affect her, intentional or not."

Ampere couldn't continue to just stand here and watch this. Sighing heavily she lifted her wings, ready to take her leave. "Just be careful, this is a serious connection you've accidentally forged." Turning away Ampere made to leave, needing to untangle her thoughts and her feelings.

A M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com