the Rift

[OPEN] carry on my wayward son

Muriel Posts: 54
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 6 Years 4 Months
Brit

Swollen belly had begun to impede Muriel's progress when it came to her search for Gull. It bumped her thighs and elbows, the new life inside her a swollen parasite in all intents and purposes. Muriel had never imagined having foals. Perhaps when she was younger, more naive, she had imagined a foal with the face she and Leliel had created together. He had been her everything, encompassing most of her life and visions of the future. They had been fanciful daydreams, a foolish girl with foolish thoughts imagining things she could never fully comprehend. Life had been spent as an outcast, a wanderer, a nomad. Since leaving Janat, foals had become a distant thought. It had been so long since she'd encountered one, they had slipped almost entirely from her mind.

Muriel had never anticipated loving one. Much less her own.

At first, she had been scared out of her mind. She was far from prepared for a foal, she hardly even had her own life in order. She was hardly even a real part of her herd, habit and instinct too strong to effectively kill. The foal's sire didn't even know he'd, well, sired the poor thing. How could she be a mother? Much less a good mother? Her mind had been in scrambled circles for weeks. She'd even contemplated going to Midas, asking him to find a wetnurse for the poor thing, or at least a lonely mare who would take the foal once it was weaned.

All it took was a single incident.

The wolves of Helovia had fed in abundance throughout springs plentiful nights. They had always been of little bother to the pink mare, who could escape with a single thrust of her dual wings. Yet, grounded by her massive belly, Muriel had not anticipated the consequences. She had awoken from a light doze with a sense of wrong, the same instinct that made her heart race and nape prickle when a predatory feline was nearby. The thunderous growls had come as soft as kitten purrs at first, until, heart racing, Muriel had come face to face with a trio of the snarling beasts.

A horse knew how to fight as soon as they hit their first year of life, perhaps earlier. The mare had fought with all her might, teeth snapping and screaming like a stallion into the night. Her only thought had been you will not take my baby. Only when the beasts had turned and fled, deeming her too dangerous a prey, had Muriel recognized the newly formed pattern of her thoughts.

That night she had hugged herself close with her wings, cried over the bulge of her belly until her hide was wet and dark with tears. "Why must you make me love you?" she had cried helplessly. All thoughts of abandoning the foal had trickled away, leaving nothing but silt and guilt in the palms of her hands. And a lone ribbon tied round her wrist, silk and satin. Love.

From then on she had spoken to her belly, wishing she knew whether it made a difference. She'd never felt more alone, and yet she'd never felt more content than when she would softly speak to the genderless foal in her belly. Though she never paused in her search for Gull, for anyone who would extend a kindness to her, Muriel had begun to realize that her life had to begin to center around the foal. Her foal.

So when labor crept upon her, she was not prepared.

At first, it was a mild discomfort. One easily ignored, misunderstood. Perhaps she simply needed to eat? But after a few hours more, the pain became nearly crippling. She downed herself in the meadow somewhere, thousands of miles of space around her that was yet unexplored. Foreign to her. She cried, then. Wet, panicked tears. What in the hell was she doing? What was going on?

And then, at last, peace had overtaken her. Nature found its way, and after hours of pushing and pulling and sobbing out her breathless lungs, it was over. Sweat and foam flecked her neck and flanks, medals of victory as she craned her tired neck over to look down into the grass.

Beneath the weight of a tiny foal, hardly big enough to have caused her such pain, it seemed the entire world washed away.

"My son," she gasped out, chest still heaving. He was beneath the canopy of her wings, sheltered. Protected. A ferocity she had never experienced tore through her, as strong as a tidal wave. A mother's love. And she cried tears of joy then, her smile so wide it hurt her cheeks to bear it. As she leaned to clean him, sore and feeling as if something inside her had broken, Muriel sobbed herself into newness. She washed away the sins of her past, the loneliness and the broken heart still cradled in her chest. She thrust herself into the fire and walked out reborn. Sooty, but new. All for the tiny life cradled against her side.

"I love you," she whispered, as if it was a grand secret to the world and meant only for his ears. A confession. Lilac eyes gazed wetly down at the tiny ruddy foal, feeling as if she would break apart into a million molecules with the intensity of this realization. "I love you."

@[Gull] and anyone else! @[Spice] if you made his account?

Muriel
And I will love you, forever and always
Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Brigand Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I didn't know what to do as the light came into my eyes.

All I could do was blink. And blink and blink. It was different out here. Where my mother would bathe me in soft strokes of her tongue. It felt good to be clean for the first time, and when I say that, I mean good. I know I might not be the newest life in the world, but I was new. And I was a life. So...

My first thoughts were differed, I couldn't decide if I was scared or exited that I could do something. And at this age, aren't we all? She held me in a bundle of pink wings. And I guessed I looked like her because I felt the extra appendages had sprouted from me as well. She spoke, though it was muffled, I could make it out.

"I love you"

I believed her. I would always believe her. I would never leave her side because of those exact three words. She loved me. She believed that I could be her son. I wanted words to come, but I knew not to rush them. Take your time I told them.
I felt chill. Relaxed. Something more.

Maybe it was just simply me. I wouldn't know until I knew who me was.

And I had all this time to figure that out, so I decided to let my head rest in her beautiful makeshift cradle. The last word I uttered before falling asleep was "mother" but it perhaps it was just the wind.

~So sorry for the lack of words, but I'm still trying to feel him out.

Leliel Posts: 55
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 9
ali
leliel.

It did not take you long to figure out that Muriel was with child. Since finding her you stayed close to her, but you noticed that her sides were protruding more and more. At first you thought it was mostly you because you were eating and gaining back the weight that you had lost. But Muriel continued to grow and you found that you were standing farther from her because of it. You noticed the change in the way she walked and you had to ask her if she was expecting a child. Her answer made your heart sink to the bottom of your hooves but you did not turn your back on her. You wouldn't do it again. You would be there for her even if she was having a foal that wasn't yours.

You gave her her distance when she needed it, but you were always nearby if she needed you for anything. You were there when labor struck and you whispered quiet words of encouragement to try and calm her because she seemed panicked. Neither of you knew what you were doing. She was a new mother and you were blind as a bat trying to tell her everything would be okay when you didn't know if it would. But all things pass and Muriel's labor did. Your ears tilt forward and you listen to her as she speaks to her son. Her son, not yours. You have no part in this, but you could have. He could be your son.

"Congratulations." You murmur, though you cannot help but feel like there is a crack running through your heart. You could have had a family and you ruined it just like you ruined everything else. "What will you call him?"

"."
image credits!

Muriel Posts: 54
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 6 Years 4 Months
Brit

All she could do for a long time was cry, cry for her love, for her mistakes, for the pain. And beyond it all, in her loneliest hour, Leliel returned to her. He whispered and crooned to her, two hapless souls lost on a tide of an experience neither of them had even witnessed or heard of. It chased away the loneliness, gave her peace, gave her strength even as she was waning beneath the onslaught of pain. Hours slipped by, Leliel's voice her only guiding light as she foamed and flecked and sweated through the ordeal. And somewhere in those hours, at her weakest, some new chord was plucked and resounded within her. She grit her teeth and flared her wings and she told herself in that moment that her son was going to the enter the world, and she was going to be there to greet him. She would do it a thousand times if it meant she got to see his beautiful face, place her kisses upon him and shelter him beneath the canopy of her wings.

Was that what they called a mother's love? The instinct that had driven her to protect herself and her child when the wolves had come for her vulnerable form?

And in an anticlimactic end, it was all over.

Moving was the hardest thing she'd ever done, in that moment, but nothing would stop her. And her baby curled up beneath her wing, beautiful, the most beautiful thing she'd seen in her entire life. And she cried ever harder, even as Leliel spoke his soft congratulations. Her wing tightened around her son, daring the world to take him away from her, and all at once a name came to her. It choked off her tongue instantly, naming the child free from the restraints of Janat's influence. Her son was a Helovian, she would not curse him with those foul angelic names, regardless of the fact that he had been blessed with her wings.

"Brigand," she hiccuped, face matted with tears but smiling like the sun was beaming from her very pores. "His name will be Brigand." Turning towards Leliel, she swung heavily to her knees. "Leliel," she called weakly, feeling as if she'd topple any moment. "Please, help me stand? He must take his first steps, be fed..." the exhaustion in her voice was disgustingly obvious, and she hoped he would lend his shoulder to her for even a moment.

Muriel
And I will love you, forever and always
Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Brigand Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
In this moment, I don't know what to think. What to agree with, or do. I just know my mum. My mother. My life-giver. I couldn't just ignore her, and I had a strong feeling I would end up loving her as much as I love the smell and taste of the air right now.

I could hear the quick bass of her heart, I already knew how tired she was, but I was silent. I don't like too many words, because it might wear her down, and I couldn't afford that. When the midnight man arrived, I wanted to cringe away, but first impressions are everything, right? I stood tall, strong. Though not literally because I was cupped protectively under my mother's wing...

I knew I was safe.

I guess, for now, that is all the matters for me.

But, perhaps, maybe I am wrong. She speaks, utters, a name. Something of a B-and a rreeeigg and an AND. I smile when she speaks more. I like her voice, so soothing and comforting. I try to look up at her, though I already have learned my lesson. If I do that, I will get a mouth-full of feathers. I want to see her face. All I can see is her wings, and her legs. Bright, beautiful. I already know that she is such a thing. I just do.
She turns to the midnight man, ebony, black. She speaks a name. And with all this talk of names I don't even know hers. But before I could ask, she'd pushed herself up, well, halfway up. I want to reach out, but I am scared that if she puts even a little weight on me, I will shatter, bones and all into a pile of dust.

Brigand dust.

Goodness, what is my mind doing? And then she was talking again and I could see the side of her face. Beautiful, as I suspected. Beautiful. Not that I was hitting on my mom, no. Weird. Ugh. Eww...
She spoke of me. She said how I should be fed, how I should have my first steps.

Believe me, all I want to do right now is run around, but I hold that urge back. For her. She is tired. Very tired. I can see it in her gaze, -the side of it- and I just know. I think. I want to stand, and stumble, and fall. I want to push myself back up again, because right now, I only feel what I think is victory. But when it actually happens...that is (and should not be) in any competition with what I imagine to be victory.

"Briggy Speech"
@[Muriel], @[Leliel]
Brigand
Wishes are all we are
credits :: table