the Rift

[OPEN] keep fighting, by god keep fighting

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Of the two Gods to whom Cera still clung, only one was close enough to his heart to warrant forgiveness. Yet he hesitated each and every time his heart bid him to return to the fires he had once tended faithfully. Was the Sun God as disappointed in Cera as the Earth God was? Cera had only done as his Sultan had bid, he had never...never even suspected...his anger had simmered into naught but ash, leaving behind a hollowed out shell of the beautiful being he had once been. When was the last time he'd truly been whole? Before the scar on his chest? Before he was even born? He was a machine, moving on mechanic, jerking movements and gears that clunked and stuck in place. He was passive, dismissive, on the outside. But on the inside, he was a soldier at war, breaking down walls of his own design in his agony. A screaming drunkard smashing bottles against the room he was trapped inside, begging for death, for salvation. Did he even deserve to be saved? Did his Gods, in all their forgiveness, think he could be saved?

After Sikeax, he had wandered away, mind clouded. After Mesec, he had taken heart in the pleasant burning of Hector's touch against his thigh. Though hours had passed since that moment, Cera held it in his heart, using it as fuel to keep moving. There seemed to be no motive, no purpose, but he did so nonetheless. What other choice did he have? Death, certainly, but Ilaria was only just keeping him from the brink of that. Of all the times his knees had broken and buckled, of all the years of pain and betrayal and heartbreak, Cera had stood up and continued on. He had walked on shards of glass, on lava and spikes of ice to continue forward. The soldier inside him had hefted his gear, wiped the blood from his eyes and tried to pretend it was sweat rather than tears that clung to his weathered, battered cheeks.

Perhaps he had taken one bullet too many.

The ocean, he mused to himself, was perhaps the kindest grave. One where his kin could not find him, could not agonize over the sight of his corpse as he had over Hototo's. As they all had over the deaths that had plagued Helovia. Staring blankly across the glittering surface of the sea, he wondered whether his Lord could forgive him.

Whether he could forgive himself.

@[Gaucho]

Post Mesec joining, prior to Ampere spar

I'm a soldier at war with himself
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Gaucho hadn't really realized just how much using Mara's eyes had become his norm. Looking through her reptilian gaze, seeing the world as she did. It had been the only manner by which he could see the world for what felt like years, even if it was only a season.

But that was over now. Gaucho could see. With the destruction of the bridge - a task he could have completed much sooner than he did - he felt his sight slowly returning. It took time, of course, but eventually it returned. He had been able to see the world before, but had been missing those who populated it. It wasn't until his gaze fell on those around him, that he realized how stunted Mara's eyes truly were. But no - that wasn't quite right ... her eyes weren't stunted. It was that her brain didn't interpret the images the way his did. Her mind wasn't capable of picking out certain details that seemed so crucial to him now.

As if to emphasize this truth, Cera came into view, giving the dun pause.

Cera.

The Golden Prince, whose voice had been among the loudest when Gaucho had been revealed as the murderer. But the prince's voice was not turned against him, but the God's. The dun knew a little of Cera's past, though surely it was only the prologue and not the full account of his tale. Gaucho knew that Midas was his adoptive father, and given the relationship Midas had with the Earthen deity, it only made sense that the obligations of that reverence fell to his son as well.

Striding forward, Gaucho noted with uncertainty that while he looked rejuvenated now that he was no longer possessed, Cera still looked worse for wear. Not for the first time (and definitely not for the last) Gaucho vowed that he would ask the Sun God for magic to heal. There had been too many times that the destructive flames that he bore did nothing to aid the situations he found himself in. He would not yield his offensive tools, but surely he could be slightly more well-rounded than he currently was? If only for moments such as this.

"Cera." He called, his voice rich and warm. His large hooves danced easily across the sands until they ceased their movement having arrived nearly abreast to the painted prince. Gaucho's stormy gaze regarded the sea only momentarily before turning to his crafter. "What is it?"

Gaucho the Wildfire
If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Gulls sang overhead, their cries soft and plaintive. Stay. Stay. Stay. Cera turned his eyes to the sky, to the shadows they cast with their angelic wings. "What is there left to stay for?" he whispered out to them. And still they continued their mournful cries, sweeping their wings against the water as if to stir his grave, keep him from his essential ending. He watched them with bland, tasteless eyes. Shallow. Like wilted leaves and frozen spring buds on old oak trees.

They had no notion of what they asked of him.

Ilaria sat perched in the curved joint of his wing, silent. She could not keep him from the demise he so sought. It was beyond her, no matter how intrinsically their souls were tied. This was a problem she could not fix, a heart she could not mend with words of sympathy and hope. To die meant to kill, for they would both perish beneath the weight of his passing. Perhaps that was the only thing keeping him tied to the realm of the living at that moment, to know that her light would be extinguished alongside his own. Was it solely love for another that kept him alive? Was it for her sake that he bothered to draw air into his lungs?

Hadn't he suffered enough?

A singular twitch of his ear was all that belied and heralded the approach of the primitive stag. He knew not who it was, for even Ilaria did not bother to turn her little fuzzy head. They were guardians of stone on the shores of the desert, peering out into a vast expanse that would not deign to share its answers to their endless, searching questions. Ilaria had been at Cera's side since the first horror of his life, since d'Artagnan had ripped his chest in two and left him to die, to bleed, to wilt. Extinguished. There was nothing he had been through, had experienced, that she had not felt in turn. His pain was hers.

Cera.

Gaucho's voice rolled over him, warm and reassuring. Gaucho had become the center of Cera's world a long time ago. He was not so fleeting or fanciful as the stars or the moon, nor as seasonal and temperamental as the seasons in their constant metamorphosis. No. Gaucho was bedrock, was stone and quarry and hammer all in one. He was the sturdy block beneath his feet, eternal. Unwavering. And so Cera had allowed himself reliance, because it had seemed Gaucho was the only one who could never hope to betray him. Because Gaucho was not a star, burning bright and dying out, nor a leaf that withered, colored, and died. Cera had thought he'd finally made the right choice in whom to trust with the shredded remains of his soul and his loyalty. His heart.

"Would you kill me, Gaucho, if I asked you to?" It was smooth and succinct, as calm as the oasis on a winter's night. It did not betray the screaming loss inside him, the truth behind the words. Finally he turned his head, slow and deliberate, and pinned Gaucho's eyes beneath the weight of his loss and despair. He wrote novels in that look, a past he wished to erase forever but had to live with nonetheless.

"I have lost my father. I have lost my sister and my nephew. I...I lost my brother. I have nothing but this sand, this herd, and my ties to you." And what did any of that mean, when the Earth God had found him wanting? "Did I fail you, Gaucho?" And the trust he placed in the brute in that moment could not be detailed by the gods themselves. He would cast aside the judgment of an immortal for the sake of one mortal man, would leap into the ashes and be born anew if Gaucho so much as whispered that Cera had not failed in at least that one, solitary thing. "Were the Gods that I served so faithfully right? Did I achieve nothing?" And though his eyes desired to shed their tears, he could not seem to muster them. He was already a wasteland inside. There was nothing pure left to call upon to cleanse himself any longer.

@[Gaucho]

I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

Would you kill me, Gaucho, if I asked you to?

Gaucho didn't know.

Death was nothing to be afraid of inherently. The only way death could be bad, was if it ended a pitiful life too soon. If one failed to do enough good while on the mortal plane, they would be denied access into the great plains of the sky, and would forever wander the skies just below - wisps of cloud, and nothing more. There was nothing that Gaucho sought to avoid more than ending up there. He would take his place in the skies, would die in battle or when his bones and heart finally gave out, and would join his ancestors. Death did not frighten him, but obscurity did.

But Cera? The boy-no-longer held so much promise, had already accomplished much. Should he die, surely he would find his place high above them all, roaming the endless plains with those he had lost.

And yet ...

Yet ...

Gaucho did not want to send him to that fate. Not yet.

But ...

Cera was no boy anymore, and while Gaucho knew nothing of the inner turmoil that the golden prince faced, the dun was no less surprised at the question he asked. The dun shook his head, preferring to answer the prince's latter questions first. "Everything lost can be found." He began, perhaps somewhat unhelpfully, although he believed what he said regardless of how cryptic his words seemed. If the bonds between Cera and his kin were merely lost, buried somehow beneath pain and distance, they could be revived. If however those bonds were broken ... well. Broken things often were best left to the past.

"Cera never fail Gaucho. " As if to emphasize this, the flames on his wings flared up as emotion surged through the dun. "Never." The dun looked out to the sea. Words were ... so hard for him. Not for the first time he wished the Prince understood his native tongue, or that perhaps he could simply open his mind to the no-longer-boy to simply share what he thought of him. Life would be so much easier that way. "Cera achieve much. Companions if abandoned and not find a bond, die. Cera not need a bond, just a little help when younger. You survive. Ilaria not be alive without Cera. Throat not be the same without Cera. " The dun paused, unable to properly express just what it was he was getting at. Couldn't Cera see how he had risen from nothing into something? A boy once, abandoned and forgotten, now a golden prince on sands of blood? Did that count for nothing?

Sighing, the dun shook his head. Words were hard.

"Yes." He continued after a pause, answering Cera's original question. "Gaucho send you into sky if Cera ask." The Wildfire's stormy gaze sought out the Prince's. Cera was an adult now, able to make his own decisions. He would not interfere with the Prince's autonomy and yet ...

"But Gaucho not want Cera to go yet."

He would not try to convince the Prince to remain in his mortal shell if he did not wish it. Gaucho couldn't burden Cera with his own wants and desires and so he would offer nothing further than his simply desire echoed by the birds.

Stay.

DAMMIT BRIT.

Gaucho the Wildfire

Somewhere lost in the labyrinth of the painted cherub's mind, there was an awareness that Gaucho would do for him whatever Cera truly begged of him, were it a personal affair. It was why he had asked it of the dun and nobody else. All the others would weep, cry that he needed to stay, that he was loved and worthy, that they needed him. Slanderous lies that Cera would never believe. They had gotten on past all the other deaths in their lives, after all. What more would he be but another tally on a forgotten page? No, they wanted him to remain so that they could extract further use from him. Their love was cloaked and riddled with pockmarks of greed. Selfishness. Gaucho could release him from that pain, Cera had known it beneath the grief and the despair where his mind still thought in logical patterns.

And though the hesitancy in the Wildfire's words was apparent, there was still a promise. A certainty. I shall. And yet preceding those words was a blasphemous lie, and from the apathy he had drowned in, came a sudden surge of righteous fury. "You cannot simply find the lost soul of a dead body," he spat, a harmless grazing blow that was directed more at the world than at Gaucho's words. A frustrated raging against a world that had never cared for him in the first place. "They are gone forever. No takebacks." Hardened eyes glared down at the horizon across the sea, wishing he had the power to rend apart the world and spiritual realm, take Hototo back and never let him leave again. It should have been Cera. "It should have been me," he whispered, crinkles of pain forming around his eyes, a subtle sort of grief.

"Would you abandon Rhoa, Ivezho, Sohalia, Zenobia, for the whim of a God? Would rhojosor mean nothing to you?" It was one of the few words Cera had picked up from the warrior, the one he seemed to value above all else. Cera's tiny chest heaved with a sudden crest of emotion, and he had to look away from the open, honest face of his Sultan. "My father did. How can I forgive that, when he feels no regret? He does not see," he choked out. Beneath all the anger Cera felt for his father abandoning him, betraying him and their family, there was a broken heart drowned in too much love for the painted stag. He loved Midas so fully, so completely, even after all his father had done to him, put him through. All without thinking about talking with Cera, asking how he felt, caring whether he objected to it or not.

Through the pain of remembering that selfless, persevering love for an absent father, a beacon of light shone through. Words that heaved him from his sorrow forcefully, and yet with reasons only of love. A burden that had seemed to splinter and crush all of Cera's bones was thrust up and away. He hadn't failed him. It felt like he could finally breathe, and for a moment he feared he'd simply burst into tears and embarrass Gaucho forever. Instead, he took in a deep, staggering breath and turned moist verdant irises towards the warrior standing guard at his side. "Thank you," he whispered, trying to express how much Gaucho had taken off his shoulders with those two meager words.

A soft laugh and a shake of his head followed. "Ilaria was chosen for me, because I asked the Earth God for her. She was only in danger because I asked it." Ilaria cried mournfully in objection from his shoulder, but he carefully untangled his mind from hers, not wanting to hear her plaintive cries. Cera knew the truth, and so did Ilaria. She was merely objecting to his guilt. "The Throat would gain another Forger. My place would be filled. The Throat would be exactly the same," he murmured quietly, something like an apology writ into the lines of his features. Sorry for showing Gaucho how miserable and useless Cera was. Sorry for destroying the little pedestal Cera didn't belong on.

"I'm not like you, Gaucho. I am replaceable. Forgettable." As evident by Midas leaving him without a single glance backward. At the lonely, broken boy he left behind. A shattered project left for Gaucho to pick up and try to put together. But Gaucho had. And so when he begged Cera to stay, when he gave voice to those soft cries resounding in Cera's head, the painted boy yielded.

"I will stay," he whispered. For you was left unsaid. "But I don't know what use I will be of to you anymore." A broken automaton could only do so much before the rest of its pieces wore away into nothing.

@[Gaucho]

I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho did not flinch or falter as Cera's words abruptly left his lips. Instead he stood steadfast as always, unmoved by the Golden Prince's expression of anger. The dun didn't think it was directed at him per se. Whatever demons were lingering in Cera's soul had more to do with the knight than with his king. So Gaucho thought anyways.

"No. You not find soul of the dead because it not lost. Gaucho say only lost things can be found. Midas not lost. He in Falls. Sister and Nephew here too." Gaucho knew roughly what it was to have those you loved distanced from you - but in all such instances it had usually been his doing. Was that the case here? Had Cera been the one to push them away? Or were the relationships simply too broken to fix? Gaucho turned his thoughts to Midas and shook his head. Midas ... was not the same. He hadn't been the same for a long time now, and the change was not merely in his language (although that was a bizarre switch, even though Gaucho had never commented on it). Perhaps that was what ailed Cera's mind? Not necessarily that his family was lost, but that they had irreparably been changed?

As the younger stallion asked what Gaucho would do, should the God of the Sun ask him to depart from his own family, the dun fell silent. He didn't know what he would do, although his mind clung to the notion that the God of the Sun would never ask such a thing of him, unless it was a punishment. Was Midas' transition to the Falls a punishment? "Rhojosor is everything." He replied, not quite giving an answer, but offering the only proposition that he knew to be true. Would he be Abraham if the Sun God asked him to be? Sacrificing his Issac for faith? The Wildfire didn't know, but was certain he would never find out. But if it were to be the case, he certainly wouldn't have left the was Midas had.

The flames on Gaucho's wings flared up bright and high as Cera described himself as being forgettable and replaceable. Sternly the dun's gaze focused upon his painted brethern, as his head decisively shook no. A flaming wing extended to touch the prince's shoulder, should he allow it, as Gaucho fought to find Cera's gaze. "Gaucho never forget Cera. Memories never be replaced." Retracting his wing, the dun snorted with a small hint of amusement. "Cera in Throat longer than Gaucho. If Cera replaceable and forgettable, then so is Gaucho." He shrugged, as if to imply that it was either an absurd consequence, or of no matter. Both had done great deeds for the Throat, had forged relationships and bled on these sands. Their names would fade into obscurity one day, but until Gaucho's dying breath he would remember Cera as first the Golden Boy, and then as the Golden Prince.

Gaucho the Wildfire

Though the land was vast between he and his father, Cera felt as if the distance between their hearts and minds was ever larger. He fell to silence beneath the weight of Gaucho's words, wondering if the dun worshiped Midas too much to see Cera's side of the story. Midas had already written him off, after all. The man would have nothing to do with him anymore. A failed prodigy, something Cera had striven to never become. It seemed all he'd done was ruin what little good he'd garnered in the world. But even with the possibility of Gaucho siding with his father, the painted boy simply had to try.

"He cannot understand why I'm so angry," was the first whisper that passed his lips, tinged in the emotion he spoke so quietly of. A deep, burning pain that ached raw and open like an endless chasm in his voice. "He refuses to think that he is wrong. If I can see, somewhat, why he did what he did...why can he not do the same for me? How can I forgive him when he thinks it was okay to do such an unforgivable thing?" A contradictory statement, but Cera would overcome that boundary if Midas ever showed him that there was a point in being inclined towards it.

"But Ranjiri and Ryuu...perhaps I can fix that." If that was his only reason for remaining, aside from the stallion at his side, then perhaps that was enough. If only for their sake, Cera would linger in the mortal world until he reconciled with what little family still held the possibility of love for him in their hearts.

Gaucho's firmly stated words pulled him from those musings, and he turned quiet green eyes to the fiery stag that shed his light upon Cera like the lantern that would lead him out of this darkness. The words were so simplistic, something he'd already heard Gaucho say before, and yet they reached down deep into his chest and placed themselves upon his heart. Each word warmed him from the inside, until Cera felt something like relief, if not healing, in the wake of it. "Yes," he whispered, strained and nearly deliriously happy, fearing he would burst into hysterical laughter with the surety of Gaucho's words. "That's why I stayed," he croaked, tears he'd already cried attempting to shed themselves once more. Even when Midas had left, even when it meant he, too, had to give up the only family he'd ever known, Cera had stayed. And Gaucho...he understood.

A lit wing reached to touch his shoulder, a kiss of feathers that was so brief but so welcome that Cera leaned into the mere ghost of it. His tiny laugh was watery and sounded strained through the clutch of his tight throat. "But you have done more in far less time here," Cera pointed out. What had the Prince achieved? Nothing, not really. "Everyone knows your name, knew it even before you were Sultan. How many know me as anything more than Midas' son?" It hurt to know that they came to him only because they knew his title, only returned to his side when they required something. They valued him because he was capable of giving them what they wanted, and nothing more. Nobody cared for the soul that housed the magic of the Sun. At least...nobody but Gaucho it seemed.

@[Gaucho]

I am Ceraaaa