the Rift

[OPEN] an idiot's guide to dendrology --

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

Wandering to the west where trees were abundant, I thought maybe we could take a small, young tree. They'd be easier to dig up and carry with us, and it'd be much better than trying to dig up an entire massive tree. Ambling along casually, we find ourselves swaying over the pool that rippled with crimson stones. Bowing over the pool grew a tree, mysterious and out of place in all it's lovely glory with pink fruit budding from it's tangled branches. Perking up my ears in interest towards the peculiar tree, I turn my head and look at Phantom. "This tree, we shall take a clipping from this tree— And uh why not take a clipping from a few more?" I step forward, biting furiously through a snippet of a branch that hung low enough for me to grasp. I removed of it, wondering why such a pretty tree was in the middle of the Deep Forest. Setting the branch down gently, I motion my head to the rest of the forest, looking at Phantom and awaiting her to take action. "Would you- like to take a clipping from a tree too?" My words were still oddly put, and despite having quietly wandered through Helovia beside this mare it still felt weird to talk with her. "Since we're going to be together for a bit, I'd uhm- like to know more about you, you know— so I'm not roomed with a stranger who is possibly a murderous nightmare," The pauses inbetween my words make me feel stupid and a little foolish, but I had to stop and think about what I was going to say before resuming my sentence. The awkward laugh that escapes my lips at the end doesn't help either. "I can- tell you about myself too— if you want, that is-" I look over at her nervously. I hate socializing, even though I've been with this mare for several hours talking to her still felt unnatural and strange. So I suppose now I'll try to not be so gross and stop being a hermit, finally taking the risk of poking my head out of my shell and taking in some much needed sunlight.

"blah blah blah."

ooc: Phantestry !!
word count: 375

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

By the time Hector and Isara had returned to the meadow once more – filled buckets nestled high upon his back, nestled securely between wrenched wings – the stallion’s stiff, brooding demeanour had softened again almost entirely.

It had been only the second time he had seen the girl so fearful, and though he said nothing of it, it troubled him that the source had been the same on both occasions. "You need not hide anything from me..." he was saying candidly as they followed a couple who were delivering their bucket also. He paused, blazing eyes searching for her own sea-green gaze and holding them sternly. "Father and daughter – no secrets. Deal?"

Since Isara had taken rest with him in Dragon’s Throat, a powerful paternal urge that he had not suffered since the birth of his own blood, had been swelling ever more with all of the fury of rising floodwaters. It was an ache he could not deny, a need that was as unexpected as the monstrous art of the God before them.

"And what’s more," he continued with a rare, tender smile, "I think we need to harness your ability, discover its worth and teach you how to use it properly." Red, velvet nose lowered to butt against her small frame teasingly, but still an air of concern loitered on in his mind.

After placing the buckets with care, Hector guided his companion around to receive the next instruction – they seemed endless, and an easy pattern was forming. The God of the Earth told them to secure plant cuttings before they turned again to leave. "I should think trees would weather a flood fairly?" He was a stallion, crafted for martial arts – certainly not trivial gardening tips; his interest in this task was slim. "You lead this time, Isa," bellowing tone suggested, and he followed her into the forest to the south.

Ironically, it was the spy and her Unicorn friend that they came across first – again.

@[Isara]

Isara Posts: 34
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1 hh :: 2 year [Birdsong] HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Evvers

Back at the last location I had tried to lift and carry my bucket full of water, but I didn't seem capable of carrying it and keeping up with Hector without spilling the water completely. Luckily Hector was able to carry both back to the meadow where the wooden structure and the organizer waited for our return.

As we walked I remembered how Hector told me I had nothing to be sorry for back in the wooded area with the fancy building. But the way he had told me that I couldn't let dangerous magic be so reckless, it made me wonder how I could even do a thing. I didn't even know why or how it happened entirely. It just...happened. But maybe some day I would know all those things. Maybe Hector knew somebody who could help me. Maybe Hector could help me.

My attention diverted to Hector when he spoke about not having to hide anything from him. My eyes softened a little. No hiding anything meant subjecting him to knowing about my past. A past I was desperately trying to run away from. He didn't need to know the pain and trauma that I had gone through. No...I didn't want to give him the burden of knowing. There was a difference wasn't there?

His gaze seemed to search my eyes for something before he spoke again. 'Father and daughter – no secrets. Deal?' My eyes stung upon hearing those words fall from his lips and the hot tears that formed threatened to fall down my cheeks. But they didn't fall. Instead they remained in my teal eyes making them glisten. He...he called me daughter and referred to himself as father. It wasn't something I had ever expected to hear from him, let alone from my own lips.

No secrets...I paused as I contemplated agreeing to this deal Hector threw at me. No secrets meant sharing everything. Never holding back. I tilted my gaze towards my hooves as we walked. Did I really want to agree to such a deal? What if Hector decided he didn't want me after hearing all that he thought he wanted to hear? What if I didn't like something that Hector had to tell me? I didn't want to ruin what bond we had. After a few minutes though, I figured I had no choice but to agree if I was going to stay with Hector. Besides, while it flooded and we were all safe on the wooden thing we'd have a lot of time to talk so there really was no escaping the subjects that were to be brought up.

“Deal,” I say a little hesitantly and then waited for him to bring up the first question but he seemed to be busy with his own thoughts so I looked towards our heading and kept more so to myself until he spoke about harnessing my ability and using it properly. His nose bumped against my painted body somewhat playfully, and it brought a faint smile upon my lips. But the smile was short lived as I realized that he probably needed to know a few things.

“That was the second time,” I began hoping he'd realize that I was talking about the spike thingy that happened, “I...,” my voice choked on a sob that became caught in my throat, “I don't know why or how. It...,” A single tear fell down my cheek followed by two more not long after, “It just happens. I didn't mean to hurt her Hector.”

I looked up to Hector as if just looking at him would make everything better. No more wingless would come for me. This spike thingy would just go away. My past would just disappear...but looking at him did none of those things.

“I just wanted her to leave me alone,” I whispered just barely loud enough for him to hear as I forced myself to stop crying before asking Hector a question, “She...she wants me doesn't she?”

My eyes met Hector's own as we finally reached the organizer and he placed the buckets down. Then the winged stallion gave us another task: gather some plants. And so we headed off in a different direction yet again. Yay...

All of this traveling was beginning to grow tiring to me. Boring even. But I guess it was needed to get the items that the organizer needed for us to be able to board his structure. To pass the time though I figured I play a little game with Hector. A guessing game.

“I'm tall yet short. I reach for the sky, yet hug the ground. I can be thick, I can be thin,” I stumble the words out as I grab some blue flowers with a yellow center remembering what Hector mentioning about the trees, “What am I?”

I scrambled across the ground as I spotted some low lying plant with whitish pink flowers and red berries of some sort. Quickly I grabbed some of those and added them to my little pile as well. Then we continued to travel a bit longer into a land with a bunch of pine trees. I noticed a group of which we had come across with every single task. Destry...and the wingless mare. Seeing to two together and remembering how Hector interacted with some of the others we encountered on our trips made wonder something. The question grew within my mind until it about screamed at me and so I turned to Hector after grabbing a few branches off of a bush full of some clusters of golden fruit and then decided I was done collecting plants.

“Hector,” I began slowly and tenderly, “The wingless,” I said and motioned towards the mare that was with Destry, “Are all of them evil?”

I paused for while and watched the other group as I stood still. Were all wingless bad? Did all of them want to capture those of us with wings and treat us like they did mum? Did Destry hang out with one of them because she was a spy? What exactly did that mean anyways?

“Also, what's a spy?” My question was innocent enough but what I didn't realize was that my question was surely to lead me to a whole new chapter of my life. A life where questions and knowledge would surround me and I would enjoy it because no matter what Hector would still be my father.

"Isara's speech"|"Isara's thoughts"

WORD COUNT;; 1080
TAGGED;; @[Hector]
OOC;; so much feels....So anyways...Isa picked some Sky Blue Aster, Wild Strawberry vines, and Golden Raspberry stems.

Use of force and magic is allowed on Isara, as long as it does not result in permanent bodily harm or death. Otherwise just ask! Also tag in all posts if you so desire. 8D
Hector has permission to powerplay Isa.

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

PHANTOM
So scatter all my ashes when I'm dead And shatter every legend in my head

Water? Check. Plants? Check. What was next? Animals? Animals would make sense, Phantom supposed. Were they supposed to run around and collect two of each animal? A male and a female? The pale mare wondered if the Earth God had thoroughly thought through every inch of his plan, but who was she to question a god? "That tree is fine." She agreed. "Take some of the fruit, too." Phantom said as she eyed the fruit hanging from the tree's branches. "Its likely to have seeds inside of it that we can use to grow more trees." The pale mare reared up and grabbed hold of one of the branches and pulled it low enough for Destry to remove one of the fruits before she let go of the branch and settled back onto all four hooves.

"Would you- like to take a clipping from a tree too?"

"Yes." Phantom murmured before reaching up to break off part of a tree branch and breaking it off. Her ears flickered as Destry finally expressed some interest in learning about her. Phantom hesitated for a moment, her head turning to look at the darker mare. "If I were a murderer I would have already taken my chance with you. We've had plenty of time alone, haven't we?" Perhaps not the best thing to say when someone was trying to get to know her, but it was honest. "I will tell you a little about myself, though. I come form a land called 'Dorngarrow' and my father is the Crimson King. My sole purpose in Dorngarrow was the same as all of my siblings; weapons for war. A means to put an end to everything he hated. Everything that stood against him. Everything that was different from us." Everything winged. Phantom believed the girl was smart enough to understand what she meant.

The pale mare fell quiet as they were joined, once more, by the stallion that Destry called Hector and the odd young mare that was with him. "Greetings." She murmured to the pair before turning her head toward Destry once more. "Are there apple trees here? We should harvest a few apples to bring aboard."

"."

ooc://

Phantom x Destry!

Arya Posts: 50
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 2
Minx
Arya would conquer plants! Well, she'd save them actually. She charged with a new sense of gusto after delivering the water. This time Odette trotted along side her. Her digging would come in handy. They loped together toward the Deep Forest. All along the way Odette grasped branches and pulled up roots. It became evident that she was killing more than saving. It was too bad she couldn't communicate with the dog to tell her such a thing. But one dirty look gave her the general idea.

She stumbled upon a group of individuals, one mare declaring they look for apples. The huntress sought out eye contact with her winged friend. But her head turned back toward the mare that proposed the idea. "We can look for the apples?"
She suggested with a grin passing over her lips. "He's got wings so he can get stuff off the higher branches." Way to be a great friend and voluntelling your friend. She thought to herself. Too late now though.

@[Rhoa] & Arya

• tag in opening posts only 
• violence/magic is permitted. maiming/death is not without prior permission

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
At first I don't understand. The point was to gather plants so that we could populate the boat ... the Earth God said to take care so that we didn't break the roots but ... he didn't say anything about gathering food? I look around at those who seem to also think gathering apples would be a good idea, before turning back to Arya. I don't want to undermine her but I just ...

Oh! Idiot! There are seeds inside!

With this new understanding I nod happily. My embered wings spread from my flanks and, after retreating a few steps, I launch myself into the air. At first I try to grab the apples with my mouth and just drop them below before a better idea strikes me. "Careful below! I'm going to shake the whole branch!"I warn. Still mostly flying, I place my dark hooves on one of the branches, and gradually let me weight sink me down. With a beat of my wings I am up again, and the branch has followed me. I keep doing this, using the tree almost like a springboard to jostle as many apples loose as I can.

I hope I'm doing this alright. I want to peak down - to see if Arya is watching. To see if she's smiling, but I decide it would be best to just finish this task first.

Team Arya/Rhoa!

Image Credits

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I watch as Phantom holds onto a branch, pulling it down and allowing me to take one of the precious pink fruits that hung from the branches. Setting it beside the clipping, I turn back to find Phantom taking a clipping from the tree as well, doing so with ease as her alabaster body rises and falls, the clipping wedged between her teeth. The question I ask answered with a sarcastic response, a smile of unease slipping over my features. It was true, had she been a murderer her chances to end my life would have been many, a short sigh of relief falling from my lips. Glad that's taken care of, I eye her as she begins to tell me of her story, of her home, Dorngarrow and the Crimson King. Ears flickering, I listen to the last of her short tale, letting them fall back as I realize her father turned her against the other side of me, my pegasus bloodlines that flowed so strongly through my veins. Her story hits me where I didn't expect to be hit, a frown flowering across my face as I realize everything I'd ever used as proof that my life was so terrible is irrelevant. She was used by her father, turned into a war machine, my stomach knotting at how small my problems seemed compared to hers. A small, insignificant "oh," left my lips, uttered under my breath as I look at her.

Clearing my throat to make something from the silence that had fallen I offer a stupid smile, glancing to my left, my pitiful life gurgling up from my throat. "Wow, my problems seem so small now, kind of just uh- not really significant." I had been depressed for seasons because of this and hearing now that my reasons for such despair and anguish were so small and stupid compared to Phantom's. "I grew up in Helovia, and my parents left me. I still don't know why they didn't look for me, but they left me in the Basin until I left on my own. I somehow found my mother just in time to watch my father pass, then following her to the Hidden Falls and—" I gather myself, throat clotting at the thought of Delinne birthing a child that was not my father's. "She gave birth to a child that wasn't my father's. She was still grieving over his death and that's how she handled it. I blamed her for everything and ran away- probably not the greatest thing a child can do. But that's over now, and I'm soon to be starting my own family in the Throat," I nod gently, smiling at the thought of Aurelia laying beside a child of ours, a blend of night and day. I think tears are welling up in my eyes by the time another pair join us, eyes wandering to the familiar duo whom we had seen not too long ago.

I laugh a little at the sight of the bay and alabaster filly and Hector, amused that yet again we run into them. This time I give him a smile and a few words in greeting, the weight and pressure of my tale as I no longer kept it brewing and bubbling deep inside. It had been vague but surely Phantom had gotten the general idea of the source of my unhappiness. "We meet again, brother." Was it appropriate to call him as such? We were both children of the Throat now weren't we? Shrugging this off I move forward to see another pair, young children working their way towards us just as Phantom suggests we pick apples. I look to where the ruby red fruits sat within a tree, stretching my wings and feeling the feathers scrape against the rough bark of trees. "I'm far too large to fly up there," I snort, noticing that the colt tagging behind the filly was familiar. Yseult gives a soft squeal as she hobbles upon my poll, wings layered upon her sides. Oh, that boy had also competed for the egg from which Yseult hatched. The colt shakes the branch, letting it rain red fruits. Backing up and watching carefully, I offer a smile to the boy as I felt guilt loom over me, wishing I could say something but I couldn't. Instead I started placing apples in a little pile where the clipping and the pink fruit were placed. Looking at Phantom and then to the pile, I decide that we've probably gathered enough. "I think it's time for us to go." Maybe it was the fear that the boy would recognize me that made me want to run away, or the fact that I'd just spilling out most of my life to someone I've known for only a day.

"blah blah blah."

ooc: Phantestry // Destry & Phantom !!
word count: 802

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse