the Rift

[PRIVATE] Fires at Midnight

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Bucephalus the Morningstar

'Razkrije.'

Weight hit me as steel slid over my form, my armor settling upon me, heavy and cumbersome. I move, feeling the metal restrict my movement, drag down my body, but I can also feel the security of it, the protection it would provide against blows to my body.

'Izginili'

The weight is gone, and if anything I feel even lighter now, the armor having shrunken up into the amulet around my neck, it's metal squares cool against my skin, the crystal shard resting in the middle of my chest. It is heavier than it should be, but the weight was...comforting. Especially in the loss of my bag set. It felt...odd, to not have the array of leather across my body anymore, and whilst my satchel was useful, and carried enough for my needs(since becoming Chancellor, my hoarding was put on the back burner), it couldn't replace the feel of my old bags.

Or their glow.

The night feels like it is closing around me, and my ears flick back slightly as I head over towards Azeeza, who is playing with my sheathed dagger. She takes the strap in her beak and tosses it around, then, as I approach, she takes off, hopping away from me chirping, my dagger dragging behind her.

"Why you little minx! Azeeza!" I laugh, walking after the hopping chick, letting her lead me around in a game of keep-away before she drops the strap and goes after a cricket. I smile wryly after her, then look down at the black hilt, a faint frown across my face. I was no warrior...what was I doing with a blade and armor?

Maybe I was sick of being knocked around. Sick of feeling defenseless, since almost everyone I fought against held magic. A faint breath escapes me, and I lower my head, picking up the sheath and slipping my leg through the loop, drawing it up and tightening it so it is comfortable around my upper leg before I look up.

Azeeza, bless her heart, brought over my satchel...well tried to. Have you ever seen a fuzzy chick try to drag a bag nearly triple her size across sand? It's pretty damn funny. I walk over, nudging her away from it before I pick it up and sling it across my back, loosening the straps so they don't tear as once more I bring out my armor.

I can practically feel myself sinking into the sand, but I needed to get used to the weight, so that meant...walking. And lots of it. Azee chooses to hop beside me as I begin walking, the weight of my armor making my steps rather clumsy, hooves slipping as I go up and over the sandy dunes, the moonlight bleaching my black armor a pale grey, the few golden studs decorating it now a pale silver.

Security had it's perks...and it's downsides.

@[Gaucho]
Can't Chain Me Down
I'm Comin' At You At The Speed Of Sound
Image :: Table
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Vision. The Wildfire would never get over how wonderful it was to be able to see for himself once again. In his mind Mara chuckled as she rubbed her face against the broad space between his eyes. The serpent knew that she saw the world differently than her bonded, but she was glad to have been able to be of help in his time of need.

Gaucho was flying much more slowly than normal. It had been quite some time since he had to give flying lessons, but he was glad to do so nevertheless. At his side Vorsa flew. Her body rose and fell with the inexperience of her wings, yet she did not appear to be in danger of crashing into the sands as she had only a few days ago. Every now and then her body would puff up into a ball of fire, before quickly dissipating. Each time this happened Gaucho would chuckle, mentally reminding her to keep her emotions in check, as it was usually when she was fearful of falling or annoyed with her lack of ability that triggered it.

Below, Gaucho saw a rather curious sight: Bucephalus, with armor appearing and then disappearing. Intrigued, the dun slowly began to fly downwards in a soft spiral so that Vorsa could easily match his speed. By the time the trio landed Bucephalus' armor was on again. Snorting, Gaucho wondered if he hadn't stolen Midas' armor as the painted Czar was the only one who possessed such an item.

"Bucephalus-" He called, trotting forward. Vorsa fluttered towards Azeeza with interest, wondering what the other bird-creature was doing. "-Have armor now?" He asked, partly amused partly intrigued.

Gaucho the Wildfire
If this is to end in fire
then we should all burn together.

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

It was Azee, her eyes ever roaming, who alerted me to the Wildfire's presence with a warbling shriek, hopping furiously in the sand and clicking her beak. It was queer behavior from her, and when I turned to look at her, I spotted the Sultan as he descended, a flaming chick fluttering at his side. Oh? He had two companions now?

Ampere was gonna flip her shit....or maybe she already had.

He greets me with a question, and I flash him a grin, dismissing my armor back into it's pendant form. "Yes. Won it from a dragon in a riddle contest... Helovia does not cease to amaze me." Azee hisses faintly, and I have to fight from rolling my eyes. "Gaucho, meet Azeeza." I glance at my precious friend, snorting when she fluffed up her chest, then caught sight of the fire-chick.

She is curious, and hops across the sand towards the other chick, pausing when I warn her with a mental image of roasted Azeeza. She clicks her beak, looking at me before fluttering her wings and waddling towards the chick anyway, her head tilted.

"I see you have a new...companion, as well." I gesture towards the phoenix, watching Azeeza, keeping an eye on her. "What brings you out here? Care to join me on my walk?" I offer, looking towards Gaucho, although frowned when I saw the idea forming in Azee's mind.

'Love, no. You will not throw sand on the firechick' She clicks her beak and chirps angrily, looking at me and scolding me in whatever language hatchlings speak, her thoughts disappointed and annoyed.

Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud
Ascended Helovian

A riddle contest. The dun wasn't surprised. If his Chancellor had said that he had fought a dragon for it ... well, that would have been harder to believe. But Gaucho knew that his Chancellor had a fairly quick tongue and sharp wit. That he had bested a dragon wasn't a stretch of the imagination by any means.

Gaucho's gaze followed Buce's directions, noting the small bird happily clicking away at Vorsa. Gaucho snorted with amusement nodding. A bird was a fine companion and would surely aid Bucephalus in a number of ways. He approved.

"That Vorsa. Sun God give Gaucho ability to have two." He offered in response, nodding to his own companion who was currently scooping up sand with her wings, making a small mountain in front of herself. Her body suddenly exploded into flame for a second, which caused the sand in front of her to melt and fuse together. She squawked whit outrage for a moment until she realized that it had in fact made her mountain better, for it was now harder. Delight covered her small features as she looked to Azeeza for confirmation. Her wings happily patted the now sort-of solidified mountain with pride.

The dun nodded, moving to keep pace with Bucephalus.

"New bridge good." He mentioned casually, his stormy gaze spying the magical bridge vaguely in view, shimming over what was now a gulf of icy water. Let their enemies try to find them now. Only .. .it came at an odd time, for things seemed to be rather secure for the Throat currently. But one could never be too careful.

"Gaucho speak to Ophelia few days ago. Give her a key. Edge need a key too - their King, Kaj have wings, but Queen not." He had only met their painted queen .. twice now? Once on their borders when she was simply a crafter, and once during the Edge Games. He knew nothing of Archibald's promotion. "Have been to Edge Buce?" The Sultan inquired. If he hadn't it was past time that he had. Although even if the Edge was on his roster of land's visited, it was probably not a bad idea to have his Chancellor at his side on this political mission.

He had just out-riddled a dragon after all.

Gaucho the Wildfire

Vorsa. It is a nice name, although personally I thought Azeeza much more beautiful...of course the bearer of the name was beautiful. Made it fitting. Azeeza trilled happily when Vorsa lit on fire and made a hard sand mountain, and quickly she tried to do the same with her own less developed wings.

I paused to watch, both amused and saddened by the imminent disappointment my beloved would feel as she sat, staring at the little mountain for a few minutes, then she chirped and tilted her head, looking to me and looking at the little sand pile, her confusion clear.

If I had fire magic like Gaucho, I would have subtly heated the sand just so my precious Azee would not be disappointed or upset. However she surprised me by, rather getting angry, she let out a shriek and jumped onto her pile, sand flying into the air. I laugh, then turn to continue walking, content to leave Azee with Vorsa, for she seemed to be enjoying herself.

"It's amazing." I look towards the shimmering bridge, then to the waters below. "Magic is amazing." I shake my head lightly, then blink at the dun's question.

It makes me laugh, amused by the circumstances. "You are far smarter than one would think at first glance. I was actually going to seek you out tomorrow about going to give keys to the Edge; I planned to go there this season." I grin at him, thoroughly and utterly amused. "Great minds think alike.... No, I have not been."

A screech pulls my head back towards the chicks, only to see Azee go sliding down Vorsa's little hump, her fluffy wings flapping vigorously, her rather long feet flailing in the air as she slid down into the sand, trilling and chittering. "I think Azeeza likes Vorsa." I smile fondly, before stopping and holding out a wing to stop Gaucho, before I walk around to face him, my gaze not on his face, but rather the serpent in his antlers.

"Mara." I lock eyes with the snake, then bow my head "I want to apologize to you for my behavior the last time we met... I am not overly...fond, of snakes."

Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud
Ascended Helovian

The dun nodded in agreement. Magic was wonderful. Although Gaucho associated all magic with the Sun God, as that was the source of all of his power. All of it. Secretly he had always thought himself stronger for it. Rather than just finding an orb of power scattered about, his connection with his deity was what fueled his abilities. Objectively there was probably little difference in strength or magnitude between the flames he possessed and the magic possessed by any one else and yet ...

Yet Gaucho was eternally thankful that he could trace his powers back to his Lord.

"Good." Gaucho agreed. For all of Buce's failings in the arena of battle, he certainly seemed to have his mind trained on his responsibilities as Chancellor even if his body had not yet followed. Though perhaps that was unfair ... it was as though beating Gaucho in combat was a walk in the park.

With a trill of delight, Vorsa takes to the skies after Azeeza. Likely the falcon chick would grow larger than the small pheonix and would be able to fly much faster. For now though they were tied in their youthful bodies. Vorsa's wings beat against her small sides, pulling her awkwardly into the air. She was still working on taking off, although her landings were getting slightly better.

Gaucho's black ears flickered backwards, initially unable to interpret Buce's outstretched wing as anything but hostile. However as the Chancellor pivoted around, his gaze focused on Mara, Gaucho relaxed. The snake however was not so keen. Her onyx gaze flashed violently, and she emitted a low warning hiss. Still, she remained where she was willing to listen. Mara was a prideful creature, but also one of war and battle. She studied Bucephalus for a moment, unable at first to tell if his apology was sincere or not. Perhaps it didn't matter. That he would offer one, before his Sultan, seemed a genuine enough display. Mara's gun-steel head nodded once decisively, causing Gaucho to laugh. He didn't think anyone had ever apologized to his companion before.

Ampere would be proud.

"Yes. We go together to take key to Kahlua."

Gaucho the Wildfire

Mara's head nods, my apology accepted, and I move out of Gaucho's way, watching Azee try to fly, but she was mostly kind of doing a large hopping thing, where she jumps into the air and flutters a couple feet before hitting the sand. It's...adorable, especially when she tries to fly higher like Vorsa, but her wings are still not quite developed enough yet.

"I've actually gone to quest for magic from the Sun God, he gave me the task to capture the wind. I'll probably not return with you when we leave the Edge... I've been thinking about how best to complete my quest." I blink when Azee barrels into Gaucho's leg, blinking in confusion before she looks up and chirps rapidly at him, as if it was his fault for being in the way before she hopped off again, chasing after Vorsa.

"When would you like to go? Should we leave now, we would arrive there fairly early, around dawn or so." I look up at the night sky, spotting my star, before looking back to Gaucho, ears pricked towards the stud. "Or if we left at dawn, we would arrive early afternoon... If we take the high winds. They come out when the heat of the sun kisses the earth."

"I also want a rematch once I get my magic." I grin impishly, laughing faintly. I had no illusions that we would be even...but perhaps he would limp home with more wounds in return for the ones he'd inflict upon me.

Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho snorts, surprised. A quest from the Sun God? When had it begun? Had the Sun God said anything of use to Bucephalus? The urge to pester the Chancellor with questions sloshed up in Gaucho's throat, but the dun remained silent. Whatever words were spoken between the black and their God was between them. Their God had always told Gaucho exactly what he needed to know. If details of the conversation were important enough he was sure the deity would have let him know, or would have told Buce to tell him.

"What magic?" He asked, curious. What sort of ability would entail needing to capture the wind? Not only that, how would the black manage it? "How to capture wind? Nothing air-tight. Any box, wind get out." The Wildfire didn't give it too much thought, despite his intrigue. It wasn't his quest after all. Though ... he did have a few ideas. Luckily however, the dun was done with questing. For a little while at least. Certainly he would rise to the occasion should the Lord ask it of him, but his last quest had been taxing enough as it was. He would let things lay for a while, if he could.

"Leave at dawn." He confirmed. If their warriors were anything like his, they would begin their patrols early and return home for the afternoon sun. They stood a better chance of finding those they sought if they departed a little later.

As Bucephalus suggested a rematch, Gaucho's stoic features twisted into a smile. His Chancellor had lost to him twice now, and rather badly both times. But you never know ... with armor, a companion, and new magic? Perhaps he stood a chance. "Third time's a charm." He grunted with amusement.

Gaucho the Wildfire

When he asks what magic I am questing for, I just give him my best, most cryptic smile, sweet and innocent and dripping mischief.

"You will find out. As for the wind... I have an inkling." Barely. My satchel was really all I could think of, or perhaps I could somehow capture the wind within the amulet the Sun God gave me...

Or I could be a suicidal idiot and track down the moon goddess.

Nah.

"The day I beat you, Gaucho, is the day Mara sprouts wings. My intention is to lose as gracefully as possible, mayhap to where both of us have to limp on home in pain." I grin, then fall silent, content to walk in the quiet with the flaming stud, my gaze watching Azeeza as she hops across the sand.

"Gaucho..." I trail off, quiet for a moment before I speak again, glancing at the stallion, curious. I knew he would not lie to me, or if he did, he would be a damn good one. "Do you still believe I am the best to serve as Chancellor?" I was curious, curious to see if this stud doubted me. Admittedly we were in a time of relative stability(save the murders), so I hadn't really been put 'to the test'... but I thought personally I was doing my duties well, gods knew I enjoyed it, although it made spending time with my children rather difficult.

"I'm asking out of my own curiosity, especially now that so many have returned to the Herd. I also know some do not believe me...fitting, for this role." Hector, Cirrus... Megeara seemed indifferent about it. I was not blind to the looks of the herd members, nor was I deaf to the whispers, to the sidelong looks. I would fight tooth and nail to keep my position, I hoped that the Sultan knew this. Perhaps he didn't, perhaps he did. Regardless, I was curious and I had him alone and all to myself.

Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho only grunted in response to Buce's cryptic answer regarding his magic. Why so secretive? The black wondered why so many questioned his status, and yet his veiled answers constantly provided an answer. How could they trust him when he made it so easy not to?

"Maybe." Gaucho agreed with a nod. He was glad that Bucephalus was being realistic. If they did spar again, chances were that the black would not succeed, even with his new accessories. To set his sights on making Gaucho limp home was admirable. If anything, Gaucho could appreciate that he wasn't a sore loser. He would look forward to sparring with Buce again.

As Bucephalus asked about the security and justification of his position, Gaucho remained silent. On the one hand, when Gaucho had been promoted so many seasons ago alongside Midas there had been many who questioned his ascension. They had thought him too block headed, and his rise too fast. Accusations and insult had been thrown at him, deflected by Midas at the time. And now look where he was? They all followed him, their loyalty certain. He had learned much and was no longer the naive leader he once was.

On the other ... Bucephalus just made it easy to doubt him.

"Loyalty most important. As long as you loyal, Gaucho not worry. Buce does job." He concluded with a shrug. It might not have been the pep talk that Buce was looking for, but the Sultan meant his words. And lately Bucephalus had been doing his job. He'd been recruiting, tending to the herd's basic needs, and, as their conversation previously indicated, had kept an eye on their political relations.

Gaucho the Wildfire

Loyal? If only he knew.

"Loyalty is not something you need be concerned about with me." A few that did not approve of my rise didn't really bother me, I was more concerned with what Gaucho thought. "Hmmm...Gaucho, have you ever tried dancing?"

I looked at him, grinning slightly, gesturing to his body with a wing. "You've the build for it, and you're as light on your feet as I am." I wondered at how the dun would take it... In all honesty it was a compliment. "In my homeland, those who could fight best could dance best." At least that's how it was in the outcast gang... "Needless to say I am a better singer, better mentalist, than I am a dancer. I think you would be quite the dancer, which is a compliment by the way."

I grin again, then look at Gaucho questioningly. "Mind indulging me? Although I understand if you do not wish to try." It would be amusing to see the dun dance... and a little relaxing. It was kind of the only way I could think of to thank the man, to offer a part of my culture, something I held close and tight and dear... Dancing was something so vital to my being that I always pranced in place when standing, it was what made me move so much and gave me a restless look. I was hopeful he would take me up on my offer, it would be satisfying to teach someone how to dance across the dunes, in harmony with body, mind and land.

Yet I was also concerned that it would somehow insult the warrior-king.

Azee picked up on my worry and bounced over, fluttering through the air before she latched onto my tail with her claws and beak, climbing up my tail to settle on my rump. Used to it by now, it didn't particularly hurt, just kinda itched.

Can't Chain Me Down

Pixel by Aud
Ascended Helovian

Dancing?

Gaucho's dark ears flickered slightly at Buce's original question, although they fell farther and farther back along his skull as the black continued to speak out of confusion. The dun knew that the traditions of other tribes of horses were vastly different from his own, and yet he couldn't understand why Bucephalus could not see how idiotic his question was.

Could Gaucho dance? Would he show him?

In his mind, Mara chuckled already knowing the thoughts her companion was forming. In the air, Vorsa, too young to understand the implications, merely picked up on the sentiments and hooted her amusement as well. The small chick sat at the apex of Gaucho's antlers, her wings flapping joyously.

"Gaucho already dance with Buce. Gaucho dance on battlefield." He offered, ears sliding forward. What was dancing, if not a series of steps related and responsive to those of your partner? A display of athleticism and grace? In what way was it meaningfully different than a spar? Of course what some would call sparring would be a barbaric way of dancing, but surely the black knew that was not what occurred when Gaucho sparred. He had been privy to his 'moves' twice now.

Shaking his head, the dun snorted. "Buce say he want to wait to dance with Gaucho again. I not think you mean so soon. Besides, we fly to Edge in a few hours. If we dance now, Buce might not be able to fly." He concluded with a smirk.

"Dance later. Rest now. We go soon."

And with that, their stroll ended. Gaucho pivoted gently in the sands heading towards the Oasis. He would drink some water now so that it would sit nicely in his stomach later and not slosh uncomfortably about.

I can start our thread in the Edge next!

Gaucho the Wildfire