the Rift

For the love of Steel (Questing, RE, Ali, Alex)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The air was chilled. So cold actually that he was pretty sure little ice sickles had begun to form along his feathers. This of course wasn’t the case; it was all in his mind. Midas was a warm blooded throat creature, not really one to favor cold environments. Anything below fifty gave him the shivers, plus it really never got nippy in the throat; they had always been to near the warm currents of the ocean. His pelt hadn’t even given thought to growing out for this winter, the nights had simply been to warm thus far.

A main worry he had was for the company traveling close by, stormy clouds ravaged the air above them, grey and threatening. The wind was starting to pick up signaling a chance at stormy weather. The air seemed to get more and more frigid as they went on, openly concerned he turned glance at his female friend and uttered, “Is this going to be too much for him?” He didn’t doubt her ability to maneuver these lands safely, her species was unicorn; and he had often heard that her kind favored the cooler weather. Vocals shared no inner questions that would prove pointless, but—memories and thoughts of moments passed lingered upon his thinking.

They shouldn’t have to go much further, hooves dug with sharp clinks into the frozen ice and slushy snow. The land seemed empty to him, a hidden beauty he wasn’t breed to recognize. Each breath had turned into a cloud of mist, Midas snorted with given frustration and gave pause; skull twisting at an angle, “We search for steel now,” he wasn’t one hundred percent sure of the exact location of this steel and how they would be locate it. Again he uttered words, but this time so softly one might wonder if he was speaking to anything in particular, “Then, you will find steel in the Frostbreath Steppe. You should hurry before the ice becomes too difficult to puncture.”

Curiously neck twisted muzzle toward ground, inhaling sharply and scrapping with right forehoof he mused, “Our next piece lies under this?”
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Ktulu had learned from Midas before they had left that their next destination was the frozen land of the Steppe. She knew well her son's limitations and had no desire to put him in any sort of danger, so she had asked Ophelia to watch over him and now she was thankful that she had. The icy wind was biting and the footing was treacherous. With her son's crooked legs there was no way he'd be able to stand the test that the land put forth.

Ears tilted back and forth as she listened for Midas' voice, but iut was lost in the wind. Only when he finally landed beside her was she able to hear him. He dipped his head down and scraped at the ice below them and she frowned as she scraped her own hoof across the ice. They would never break through it on their own and if they did it would only be by the luck of the gods.

"We need fire." Ktulu said confidently, her dark head turning toward Midas. "Fire woud melt the ice and make getting the steel below much easier." But where would they get fire from?

Icon by Tay

Prometheus Posts: 75
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 8.2 / 16.3 :: 4 months / 6 years [Immortal] HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Pyr :: Siberian Tiger :: Hypnotize & Flaming Touch Adoptable

I had desired to wander beyond our normal borders and thus dragged you with me to the frostbreath steppe. I am familiar with the land after my encounter with Ink, and so I pick across it confidently, leaving metal-shaped hoof prints in the ice. Wherever I step, the heat of the seer's fire has burned the earth and the metal has been drawn upwards to my familiar comfort. We are quite familiar with each other now, the earth and I. I have walked through its fire without a single mark to show for it, let gold and steel line my hide and fill the wells of my lungs and remained unscathed. This is to be truly invincible. To be a product of a god is one thing- to be made in his image is another entirely.

You do not fare as well as I. The burns from my melting chains have been left untreated and I have ignored their infection with a mastery that is only apparent in the most heartless of souls. Your ribs are bruised and battered, and the strain from the constant walking I have forced upon you and the rest I have denied you has at last snapped bone. You walk slowly and I push you onwards, ignoring the sharp protrusion that lifts up the flesh of your flank like a tent. The metal that wells at my feet chases yours, forcing you to move faster, else you'll be burned once again.

My love for you grows stronger each day. You exist with a look of sheer pain and hurt ever present in your eyes, and I am becoming more aware of the fact that it is all because of me each day. I cannot stand it- I despise my love for you but even more than that I despise myself! Strange that what I once loved I can no longer bear, what I once abhorred has become my dirty little secret. You follow in my wake as I press on into the territory, but I let the attacks of the iron upon your heels fade and wane. You don't need this- for the first time in some time I feel shame.

Before us appear the forms of Ktulu and Midas, two members of the herd that I've not yet met, but heard much about. Midas, the steadfast warrior, and Ktulu, the mysterious hybrid. The two intrigue me- why are they out in this cold, scraping at the earth as if they are expecting it to open up at their feet? I stand several paces away, looking a child, letting metal pool at my dirtied hooves. Maybe they will tell me why they are here, what it is they truly seek.

Surely it is not the cold.

img © foter
[Image: siggy1_zpsfwdjquxw.png]
please tag Prometheus in all replies!
magic & force is permitted at your own peril.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

"We need fire."

Yep. Fire would be nice.

"Fire would melt the ice and make getting the steel below much easier.”

But…he pondered, “How exactly do we make fire.” Unless she had some, ‘magical,’ fire making gift that was yet to be presented; he didn’t have a clue as to where the source of their fire was supposed to procure. Heaven help them. Sharpened hoof dug at the ice again, this time more forcefully; a thin layer scrapped off as a reward. At this rate he was going to grind down a hoof and have nothing on all four feet on their way back home.

Suddenly a bitter essence trailed past nostrils, the nippy breeze slipping in and chilling lungs. A shiver ran down his spine, skull turned. Orbs beheld a smallish creature in the near distance, this creature bore the shape of a young colt, “Look there,“ he uttered to Ktulu, perhaps the lord of Earth had noted his needs and produced help. Only one way to find out.

Stepping briskly forward, cold neck craned outward with voice rising above the wind, “Friend! We are mission bound by the lord of Earth!” Swallowing hard he asked, “Could you by chance offer us aid? We need a way to reach a little of the Steel that lies below this frozen landscape.” He believed in divine prominence. His lord would provide for them.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Ktulu scraped a tanned hoof across the surface of the ice again, leaving little more than a scuff mark and little shavings of ice. Her head raised as a very acrid smell worked its way into her airways, causing her to snort and shake her head. Her eyes went to Midas, who was looking away. She looked as he uttered to her and her nose wrinkled in distaste. Disgusting didn't even begin to describe the creature that was standing before them.

Midas seemed undeterred as he stepped forward and called the thing friend. Ktulu would offer the creature no such niceties. One of her ears tilted back and she sighed then snorted again, dispelling the scent from her nose. "How can he help?" She asked rather suddenly as she moved to stand beside Midas. Closer up the creature was even more disturbing than he had been only moments before.

"It's nothing but a rotting corpse." She said dismissively. How could that even happen? Her eyes narrowed and she glared at the dead thing, suddenly reminded of the shades that had overwhelmed her home on the Tides and drove them all away. Ktulu stomped a hoof into the frozen ground and turned. She wanted nothing to do with the dead.

Icon by Tay

Prometheus Posts: 75
Up For Adoption atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 8.2 / 16.3 :: 4 months / 6 years [Immortal] HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Pyr :: Siberian Tiger :: Hypnotize & Flaming Touch Adoptable

It is a simple thing they require of me- I am quite capable of such a task. Whether or not they deserve it, however... that is the question. You have expired and lain across the earth, taking comfort in its chill as it teases you with the idea of leaving this coil. I have never considered your death, never figured it to be a possibility. I am the immortal- never have I faced the thought that those around me are not.

Earth swells and heat emanates from my form as the metal beneath the ice begins to surface. It lifts with the power of the artisan that I have possessed ever since I first trod upon the deserted land of the Dragon's Throat, and aids me now. The steel swirls about me and you mewl pathetically from where you rest feet away. You fear the silvery, heated substance that has so much become my life. You fear me.

I hear the mare's words but they do not affect me. I am long past offense- I will simply use the fact against her. Then again, the Stallion's earnest attempts to please me, his obvious ingratiation, is disgusting. They are little more than common filth- I am disappointed. "This steel you seek," I begin with a malicious tone, turning to watch it as it floats about organically, "I can grant it to you, on one simple condition." I wonder if it is simple for them; my intelligence far exceeds my herdmates, will they fail to understand even this? The command comes simple and clear, with one glance in your direction before it hurts too much.

"Lead him away from me. Bring him to a healer, force him from my side if you must," I hiss, ignoring your protests, even as I begin to sense them creeping into my thoughts. You have begun to learn the ways of communication- It hurts me even more to know what you are thinking. To see your pain was one thing; to hear it in your words, to sense it in our bond, that is the pain I cannot forget. To heal you... would it end my ails?

I throw the steel at the stallion's feet, letting it hiss against the cold and molding it before him. "Take your steel, but take him with you." I say coldly, no longer wishing to be here with you. I hear you crying in my mind, sense your despair. You love me; you don't want to leave me.

Why, I wonder? Why?

img © foter
[Image: siggy1_zpsfwdjquxw.png]
please tag Prometheus in all replies!
magic & force is permitted at your own peril.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
The distance that separated them kept most of a particular rotting scent from his chilled nostrils. Honey colored eyes couldn’t quite see the pealing flesh; constant uplifts of wind took snowcover from frozen earth. But, all too quickly the yards closed to feet as he drew them closer. Body stiffened to a halt and eyes widened at what stood before him. His gut immediately sickened and bile rose in his throat until the taste of acid filled his mouth.

A spirit child? Living dead? "How can he help?" Ktulu said loudly. Midas didn’t have to turn skull to feel her come alongside his frame. One ear swiveled round to catch the digested snort in her tones. Frowning deeply he listened as she added,"It's nothing but a rotting corpse." His brain shot the instinct of flight into his mind, ‘this beast was dangerous’, it said. Had he been a horse of lesser faith, he might have turned with Ktulu and left the dead to rot, instead, Midas stood firm a wariness filtering the depth of his stare.

Earth shifted, and between the cracks of snow and ice; silver liquid floated to the surface. Pooling at first and then rising to follow the lead of the one that controlled it. So. It seems he was correct. "This steel you seek," both upright senses perked, "I can grant it to you, on one simple condition." Brows almost immediately narrowed, ‘what,’ he wondered, ‘could this spirit possibly want from me?’

Answers came without his words of question, "Lead him away from me. Bring him to a healer, force him from my side if you must," gaze turned to follow and landed squarely on a previously unnoticed shadow of a creature. A well measured lump of fur rested behind the dead foal. Its collapsed body was curled into the snow, eyes staring wholly at its master with an expression he could only describe as mournful. Midas knew a little of bonded creatures, but—this one seemed different. All the others had been vigorous, healthy. The pitiful creature was weak and appeared to be nearly half dead. What had happened to this poor soul?

Blinking, he turned attention back to the metal bender as a chunk of what he sought landed inches away. The hiss and sizzling warned of it being too hot to touch for the moment. "Take your steel, but take him with you."

Wings shifted along his side, flaring slightly before closing to fold in a new position. Gold turned to stare into empty white, “It shall be done,” he said evenly, “I will see that your condition is filled.” One step was taken closer; a sudden chill ran through his shoulders and down to the point of cool knees, “My thanks, for lending your talent.” Nothing in this world came for free. Plus—he couldn’t help but feel sorrow for the cat like beast that lay close by.